• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

brian!

Ya I was really digging the E build. But I was typically taking the range at 7 and the one that leaves it behind at 13. I did dabble with the CDR at 7 and it seemed more worthwhile. Guess it just depends on what you're playing.

Can't stand the W. Slowish projectile and it has to be the most narrow skillshot in the game.

yeah i get the range and lingering if i go e build

for w all you want is the w quest and w setting trait cd to 5 secs, it's for more trait pops mainly

Dahbomb

They go ahead and triple nerf Malthael and then put Stukov in the game.

LMAO!!!!!! Gotta get that currency from people so people can play the latest OP hero of the month before they bring down the nerf bats.

kirblar

They go ahead and triple nerf Malthael and then put Stukov in the game.

LMAO!!!!!! Gotta get that currency from people so people can play the latest OP hero of the month before they bring down the nerf bats.
They've had some badly, badly undertuned heroes in the past. It's almost always too hot or too cold. Auriel's one they nailed out of the gates.

scoobs

I'd much prefer heroes come out OP than UP. At least we understand their place in the meta right away when they're good heroes. Lunara was such shit on release it was hard to ever imagine her ever being pickable under any circumstance.

Ramzy

They've had some badly, badly undertuned heroes in the past. It's almost always too hot or too cold. Auriel's one they nailed out of the gates.

Auriel was a freak occurrence -- i don't think we've ever had a hero released in such a balanced state... In fact, I don't think she has had any balance changes made to her kit since release?

Only negative thing about Auriel is Resurrect just seems to be a very lacklustre ulti in comparison to Crystal Aegis.

Side note: Tyrande still dumpster tier. 5-7% buff to her attack speed / DPS isn't a solution for her confused shitty kit and counter-intuitive playstyle.

kirblar

Auriel was a freak occurrence -- i don't think we've ever had a hero released in such a balanced state... In fact, I don't think she has had any balance changes made to her kit since release?

Only negative thing about Auriel is Resurrect just seems to be a very lacklustre ulti in comparison to Crystal Aegis.

Side note: Tyrande still dumpster tier. 5-7% buff to her attack speed / DPS isn't a solution for her confused shitty kit and counter-intuitive playstyle.
Resurrect rework and a slight nerf to PvE hope gain from the Crown target.

scoobs

Dehaka came out completely balanced and a good win rate. Just had terrible talent diversity. Cassia also hasn't changed much at all since release.

Ramzy

Dehaka came out completely balanced and a good win rate. Just had terrible talent diversity. Cassia also hasn't changed much at all since release.

Can a hero be considered balanced if they have no build diversity / many of their talents are traps?

they've gotten was better at this noisy heroes now release in a greasy spot and Tyrande never was dumpster tier since her rework

Many would disagree. I find Tyrande to be in a very confusing and weird spot right now. She excels at nothing, and aside from hunters mark idk what she provides to the team aside from abysmal healing numbers (that she can only offer when she puts herself in danger as a result of her terrible attack range).

scoobs

Can a hero be considered balanced if they have no build diversity / many of their talents are traps?

Many would disagree. I find Tyrande to be in a very confusing and weird spot right now. She excels at nothing, and aside from hunters mark idk what she provides to the team aside from abysmal healing numbers (that she can only offer when she puts herself in danger as a result of her terrible attack range).
Sure they can if their win rate is good and they're neither OP or UP. That's what balanced is. Talent diversity is a whole different ball park

Ketch

Tyrande is under valued right now. I think mostly due to the lack of CC that gets played. Cleansing a stun on that short of a CD is bonkers, and lunar flare is still one of the best abilities in the game.

If the meta shifts to including more CC, which I think needs to happen since tracer/genji/illidan are running rampant, then I could see her getting picked up as a second support.

Her problems right now are that she's food for illidan+genji, there's like typically only one stun per team, and both of her heroics are a bit undertuned.

She's good, but not in this meta.

Maledict

The problem is that those three heroes are so ridiculously mobile the only CC which can be reliably used is point and click stuff. Tyrande's stun may as well not exist versus those heroes.

Ketch

The problem is that those three heroes are so ridiculously mobile the only CC which can be reliably used is point and click stuff. Tyrande's stun may as well not exist versus those heroes.

Yea that's what I said. Until there's more CC she will be undervalued, because not only is there not much for her cleanse to remove she's also food to heroes like genji and illidan.

If we start seeing more disables I could see her getting picked as a second support to cleanse and enable a mobile assassin or to combo with the additional disabled to blow heroes up in the ol tyrande one shot comp style yet again.

Alur

Stukov is interesting. I hadn't played him on PTR so this was the first I really saw of him. The arm ability plus the arm ult are fun and I kind of dig this spreading mechanic.

I'm glad his base skin is so good, though, because that Pirates of the Carribean Jolly Roger meets Davey Jones looking second skin is not my jam.

EDIT: Also RIP BOE/Braxis/Sky Temple going out in favor of Garden/Warhead/Mines. That's probably my 3 least favorite maps all added back in at once.

Stukov is interesting. I hadn't played him on PTR so this was the first I really saw of him. The arm ability plus the arm ult are fun and I kind of dig this spreading mechanic.

I'm glad his base skin is so good, though, because that Pirates of the Carribean Jolly Roger meets Davey Jones looking second skin is not my jam.

EDIT: Also RIP BOE/Braxis/Sky Temple going out in favor of Garden/Warhead/Mines. That's probably my 3 least favorite maps all added back in at once.

The new map rotation is by far my least favorite, BHB is my favorite of the bad maps and thats the one that isnt there :(

So what are we thinking the new Xul build is? basically full cursed strikes?

PrimeBeef

Afaik the playerbase already doesnt play tyrande as a main support, i get that her kit predisposes someone to that idea but id be surprised if someone played tyrande a couple times and was like yeah her healing and uthers healing are pretty much the same.
Haven't played in Bronze then. All my wife complains about is people trying to main support as her, claiming they are that good. Possibly some throwing and trolling going on. But they are out there.

like beforehand she's an enabler just the kind that isn't in vogue right now. ETC being bad just adds to that being one of the best heroes paired with her.

What she brings to the table is an array of crowd control and her tankbuster and objective racing mark.

brian!

Tyrande def not awful and she can be solo healer in my experience

Haven't played in Bronze then. All my wife complains about is people trying to main support as her, claiming they are that good. Possibly some throwing and trolling going on. But they are out there.

I mean of course but the idea that the solution to ppl -> game needs to enforce role-based mm that doesnt make sense anyway and forward very thin ideas of what roles mean...it's totally foreign to me. Even in league or dota the lower ranks are a mess, but id say their silver/gold already have ppl adhering to an unspoken meta.

DTC

New Xul feels way better to me. That level 4 talent that reduces W cooldown by 0.5 per target you hit is pretty bonkers, especially in lane. His damage in teamfights also seems to be considerably better. I easily topped every chart in the 2 matches I played yesterday, and I rarely ever played Xul before.

As for Stukov, he seems fairly easy to play alright with, but very hard to play to his highest potential if you go the W trait build.

Kioshen

Yes. No. No.

If somebody tries to queue as a new hero on launch day it extends the usual queue time by a lot. Yesterday when I was playing with milly and rick it easily tripled the usual queue time. Also, if you guys really start playing at 10pm I probably won't be able to make it to most group ups if that's the case. That's where I usually go to bed lol.

New Xul feels way better to me. That level 4 talent that reduces W cooldown by 0.5 per target you hit is pretty bonkers, especially in lane. His damage in teamfights also seems to be considerably better. I easily topped every chart in the 2 matches I played yesterday, and I rarely ever played Xul before.

As for Stukov, he seems fairly easy to play alright with, but very hard to play to his highest potential if you go the W trait build.
Oh yeah that talent is a bit busted.

Ketch

executioner xul is out of control.

shackler
skele quest
cursed strikes heal
mages
executioner
bone prison vulnerability
mages upgrade

they're gonna need to increase the E cooldown

kirblar

Based on prelim HL stats it looks like Malthael got fixed. Stukov's weirdly low but he's a new FOTW support so I assume that'll go up over time.

Dahbomb

executioner xul is out of control.

shackler
skele quest
cursed strikes heal
mages
executioner
bone prison vulnerability
mages upgrade

they're gonna need to increase the E cooldown

Why not take the Cursed Strike talent instead of Skeleton Quest? The cooldown reduction from it is massive and allows you to keep clearing waves fast + do big team fight damage more regularly.

having tried all the builds I gotta side with dahbomb. Ketch's build with W talent at 4.

Alright completed regen master with leoric in 13 minutes only problem was that we won at that point.

So last night we tried to 5 man unranked. We could not find a match. Then we tried to 5 man ranked. Couldn't find a match. Only when we did QM did we find matches and even then it took a while. What is up with that??

Ketch

Play Q build Xul and thank me later. Other builds dont hold a candle.

I tried it, it's not nearly as good.

The spread on the extra scythes plus not having bonus range anymore makes it pretty useless I think. Decent fir spreading mortal wounds around but it doesn't do nearly the damage as executioner + vulnerability.

I like the skele quest over the curse talent because curse CD doesn't give you any extra damage. It's probably good vs multiple melee but it's not like xul needs more help clearing waves. So I don't think it's necessary. Like I would probably get it if I was going attack speed instead of executioner at 13. But I think skele quest synergieses better with executioner/vulnerability/lvl 20 mages.

Skeleton quest turns your E into a point & click nuke that also roots (and slows after 20 so they can't run as far before it procs). Like you can just click it on a squishy target and you don't even have to chase them.

So last night we tried to 5 man unranked. We could not find a match. Then we tried to 5 man ranked. Couldn't find a match. Only when we did QM did we find matches and even then it took a while. What is up with that??

Idk man. How long did you wait? There's supposed to be a 10 min cap until it stops caring about fairness at all. I would guess there's a wide MMR disparity amongst the group members or somebody's internet/ISP is fucking it up.

Ketch

We waited 5 minutes per queue, that's long enough.

It's clearly not though.

There's a difference between couldn't find a match and didn't want to wait for a match.

Not that I blame you for not waiting, but words have meaning

Imagine if, instead of switching ques, you just waited 5 more minutes in the original que.

scoobs

I tried it, it's not nearly as good.

The spread on the extra scythes plus not having bonus range anymore makes it pretty useless I think. Decent fir spreading mortal wounds around but it doesn't do nearly the damage as executioner + vulnerability.

I like the skele quest over the curse talent because curse CD doesn't give you any extra damage. It's probably good vs multiple melee but it's not like xul needs more help clearing waves. So I don't think it's necessary. Like I would probably get it if I was going attack speed instead of executioner at 13. But I think skele quest synergieses better with executioner/vulnerability/lvl 20 mages.

Skeleton quest turns your E into a point & click nuke that also roots (and slows after 20 so they can't run as far before it procs). Like you can just click it on a squishy target and you don't even have to chase them.

Idk man. How long did you wait? There's supposed to be a 10 min cap until it stops caring about fairness at all. I would guess there's a wide MMR disparity amongst the group members or somebody's internet/ISP is fucking it up.
The mass AOE hero damage Q build does is absurd, you'll top meters without risking positioning basically at all. He's kind of a mage with Q talents and Bone Spear.

brian!

i feel like if you want to put urself out of position with a w focused build u prob need the cdr and lifesteal
maybe w atspd instead of executioner even though executioner is gotlike

Dahbomb

Yeah I tried the Q build in Try mode, I was surprised at how much you were able to spam the Q. You turn into a midrange type hero with that build. Once you have the Quest activated, you can do Q with essentially 0 up time because by the time the double scythes come back you will be able to do another Q.

It's certainly a lot different than the W build. Safer, poke heavy. I don't know which is better, I prefer the W build because it's flashier and the slashes feel hella satisfying when you cleave a bunch of enemies at once. I kinda wished they had retained the slow talent for the Q.

Top Bottom