• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

eh it's their roundabout way of making in-game items available to support teams. There's probably some reason twitch is involved either promoting their streams or some such.

Considering teams not at the clash are involved I expect this to carry on up till Blizzcon.

Alur

I'm ok with the $10-20 getting you two teams worth of stuff. I just don't like that it's (A) only accessible via Twitch and (B) the other stuff after that point is ridiculously priced + not even particularly noteworthy to even remotely justify that price.

The main issue overall remains that this year has seen Blizzard hard shift away from players being able to reasonably buy the items they want in this game, following in the footsteps of Overwatch. It sucks. I'm fine with the gacha system or whatever the fuck you call it, but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to buy at the very least the tint you want in the bundles they provide, if not the entire set.

Everything but the mount is reasonably prized imo.

You think a couple hundred bucks for a banner is reasonable? There's three banners and portraits for HGC locked behind hundreds of dollars of bits, with the legendary one being the highest at ~$900 whatever. That is ridiculous.

EDIT: they are HGC banners not team

delSai

Anything i should know before solo queuing? I know how to play and think my Johanna and Morales (and Cho, but i'm missing my Gall lol) are pretty okay, but maybe there's some stuff i should know before jumping in without friends.

Alur

Best way to learn is to just jump in there. You'll be at starting MMR with other new players and players of that skill level. Don't forget you can mute the chat if you need, or just mute the individual. In the beginning, make sure you show up to objectives in a timely fashion. Try not to leave your lane unsoaked at any time before level 10 and try to clear lanes as you can post 10. And remember the golden HOTS rule....a lot times 5 people following a bad decision (usually a team fight) is better than 3 or 4 following it and dying anyway without you. At least with 5 you have a chance.

GLHF

Alur

I hear ya. I guess I've just always been someone who would prefer to operate on the Android model than Apple model when it comes to pricing.

Ironically I prefer iOS to Android, but that's another story.

Alur

Even in technology we are diametrically opposed. Could it have been any other way? haha

EDIT: GFE gonna lose to Nomia? NA now N/A

scoobs

Not sure why everyone is freaking out about HGC Cheer, this thing is presumably running all year, so the fact that it's already halfway to the first goal isn't really bad I think? Or maybe I'm wrong about that, I guess I haven't really heard.

I also thought the prices were high until I realized they're not really prices, its donations, you aren't buying specific items here (although maybe that system would be more popular idk). People were asking for ways to directly support eSports so this is their weird conveluted system they came up with to do that. I understand why they did it: get people to use Twitch bits, integrate HGC more with Twitch, also give money to HGC orgs as a side effect, so good for all parties.

I feel like they went overboard with a lot of things, but this is their first attempt, things will likely change. Ultimately it's an innovative and exciting solution for fans to support HGC directly with their cash and their fandom, which was definitely needed. Definitely not perfect but they'll figure it out over time I'm sure. Reward system could be better.

Alur

Not sure why everyone is freaking out about HGC Cheer, this thing is presumably running all year, so the fact that it's already halfway to the first goal isn't really bad I think? Or maybe I'm wrong about that, I guess I haven't really heard.

I also thought the prices were high until I realized they're not really prices, its donations, you aren't buying specific items here (although maybe that system would be more popular idk). People were asking for ways to directly support eSports so this is their weird conveluted system they came up with to do that. I understand why they did it: get people to use Twitch bits, integrate HGC more with Twitch, also give money to HGC orgs as a side effect, so good for all parties.

I feel like they went overboard with a lot of things, but this is their first attempt, things will likely change. Ultimately it's an innovative and exciting solution for fans to support HGC directly with their cash and their fandom, which was definitely needed. Definitely not perfect but they'll figure it out over time I'm sure. Reward system could be better.

That was a lot of "buts" and "could be better's" for a defense of the system. :D

Slapstick implementation that is basically the opposite of what everyone has been asking for. The only reason I think it's not blown into an even bigger shitstorm is because we don't know if they are locking this stuff completely behind this system if we will actually be able to get it in-game in the future.

not so fast

And GFE pulled that one out. We are NA again for a little while.

scoobs

There was one but, and one could be better ... technically.

And I'm not really defending it, I just understand why they did it. It makes a lot of sense for all parties and I applaud trying something new while integrating it all into Twitch. Don't think it's perfect or worth defending, just think it's a cool idea, and hope they figure it all out in the future.

in other news that's supposed to be jaina?
DGZgBUaVYAAkJJx.jpg:large

Alur

I want the skins from the new Hearthstone expansion in game. I dunno about that one, but she looks pretty different in the HS video for Knights of the Frozen Throne too.

scoobs

I think something strange is happening with her character in Warcraft right now, she's turning evil or something idk. Jaina hasn't been a cool character since Theramore. RIP

Alur

Yeah she turned on the horde due to Garrosh IIRC and got a little...more aggressive.

Also WTF is this Braxis match an AI game.

Alur

7 minute win after looking spotty in the first match. NA GONNA WIN IT ALL NOW AMIRITE

EDIT: I want this ANZ dude to keep casting. He's the right amount of awkward and enthusiastic.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Upcoming Hero Sales
Brightwing — Sale Price: 312 Gems
Kharazim — Sale Price: 312 Gems

The following Skins and Mounts will enter the Featured Item Rotation, and will be unlockable using Gems until next week's Collection Update:

Upcoming Featured Skins
Elder Flying Monkey Brightwing
Flame Dragon Kharazim
SI:7 Bloodfang Valeera
Infernal Sulfuron Ragnaros
Sand Desert Queen Zagara
Crown Prince Arthas

Upcoming Featured Mounts
Spectre Phantom
Citrine Cyber Wolf

still no Guldan / Valeera / Probius for me

brian!

wait there's another intl tourney now? i had no idea lol

im not into apple stuff too much either, but I still use the 250gb ipod ive had for almost 10 years

Zackat

whenever I get a new phone I just buy whatever came out most recently. I have flipped between android and apple a few times now.

Also, that bit counter just keeps steadily going up now that they are playing games. If it lasts for the rest of the year they will hit a lot of those goals I think.

brian!

this is the first game im watching, but auriel should be high pick/ban for this map for sure
that picture in picture thing they just did to show a shrine fight and a fort defense at the same time was cool

canids comp is way better, ts revolves around getting hooks but on this map you dont really group that much and canids drafted well against it
jeez they are doing nothing with this dragon

brian!

sieging a keep slowly as 5 is exactly what ts wants from canids, they cant give em that it's literally their only win condition lol
really excellent gust from cattle that fight

genji/illidan really strong against canid's comp

Maledict

If I'm reading this right several people have already spent $1000 + on cheering for teams. And Dignitas is the top cheered team despite not even being present... ;-).

Unfortunately the cheer option doesn't appear for me on firefox so can't even buy the bits, and not sure how many I need to get what I want!

You need a 1000 bits to get banner spray and portrait of any particular team. There's currently a deal for 2000 bits for 20 something bucks including taxes.

Dignitas has close to $4000 donated to them directly so far. The split is 20/40/40 between Twitch Blizz and Teams.

Ketch

Nomia with hands on foreheads shaking heads and the game hasn't even started yet

Omg. Wtf? They get curse with a man advantage and get.... giants only? Wtf

Ha. Got em anyway, eat cheese tf

Nomia played pretty weak for a pro team. It' not rocket science to figure out you have to force the FoW before going in for the kill with tracer but 9/10 Pulsebombs got blocked, they never adapted.

Also the ANZ guy was gas, Skimmy dunno his real name.

A couple of the longer team engagements, Tracer held her bomb for what normally would be an abnormal length of time. At the same time, Medivh held his force of will the ENTIRE time. Even with Kure getting chunked down to 20% health, he still didn't use force of will until he saw the Pulse Bomb. That takes so much patience for a support oriented player like myself. I definitely would have W'd when Valla got super low, and the team fight probably would have been lost after. I guess that's why they are the pros haha

The only time Medivh used force of will continuously was during the window where pulse bomb would reasonably be down or tracer was momentarily out of the fight.

I agree with you its not rocket science to bait it out, but it's much harder said than done when Nomia's overall threat level without the bomb was lacking with an Auriel healing everything up. The Tomb match was extremely fun to watch though. Constant action and Skimmy is a true hype man lol

Top Bottom