• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

KuroNeeko

If drafting HEX will be anywhere near as fun as drafting Magic, then there will be tons of players trying to trade the packs they receive from the Kickstarter rewards for platinum to enter more events. I expect people to buy boosters for the equivalent of $1 because of all the supply from Kickstarter rewards.

It's definitely possible. I imagine that Crypto will probably want to push out their first expac as soon as possible to alleviate this. Who knows, though?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Tempted to upgrade to King... I can't justify Dungeon Crawler, although it sounds awesome. King I may be able to justify to myself.

KuroNeeko

Tempted to upgrade to King... I can't justify Dungeon Crawler, although it sounds awesome. King I may be able to justify to myself.

Yeah, I'm in the same position.

I think getting double the rolls on any loot tables in PvE is awesome and will go a looong way to making you rich (in-game.) It's worth it if you have the cash to burn. Just, I don't know, I can't justify another +$210 or so to upgrade to DC. That's just way too much to invest in something upfront.

King is also attractive with the Lotus Garden and massive amount of booster packs. I can justify it that I'm getting a crap load of packs which will save me money in the future. I just hope I'm disciplined enough not to open them and stick to booster drafts and sealed tournaments. BTW, has there been any confirmation that there will be a sealed format?

King is also attractive with the Lotus Garden and massive amount of booster packs. I can justify it that I'm getting a crap load of packs which will save me money in the future. I just hope I'm disciplined enough not to open them and stick to booster drafts and sealed tournaments. BTW, has there been any confirmation that there will be a sealed format?

Yeah there will be sealed. One of the formats they talked about is marathon sealed where you start with some packs and play as many matches as you can in 6 hours while being able to open an additional booster every hour.

KuroNeeko

Yeah there will be sealed. One of the formats they talked about is marathon sealed where you start with some packs and play as many matches as you can in 6 hours while being able to open an additional booster every hour.

Six hours! Daaaamn! I definitely am not down with that. Oh well, at least that means they'll probably have a more conventional sealed as well.

I'm not sure I like the idea of a marathon sealed tourney. I mean, I like how additional packs will probably lower the amount of luck involved - but adding more packs will just increase the cost for players. Six hours...dayum...

BTW, has there been any confirmation that there will be a sealed format?

Yep:

http://hextcg.com/game/tournaments/

Offical Hex Website said:
Daily Tournaments

Daily Scheduled Tournaments happen every 4 hours on the hour throughout the day. The tournaments are always 4 rounds and award prizes to those who win 2 or more matches. The tournament formats vary: we’ll offer Sealed Pack, Constructed, and other wacky formats.

Marathon Tournaments

This is like league play on steroids. Players will sign up for this sealed deck tournament and play as many games as they can within a 6 hour period. We’ll allow entries into the tournament at any time while it runs. As a catch up mechanic and to keep things interesting, we’ll let players buy an additional booster after each hour passes while the tournament runs.

We will track players’ total games and their number of wins. The win-loss differential is what we’ll use to track standings in real time. The tiebreaker is the total number of games played. After 6 hours the top 40% of players get prizes. There are 4 tiers for prizes: Top 1% of the players, 2%-5% of the players, 6%-15% of the players and 16%-40% of the players.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think the ability to draft 24/7 will help keep card values from being crazy after the first few weeks of set release.

Could you not draft 24/7 in MTGO?

I think getting double the rolls on any loot tables in PvE is awesome and will go a looong way to making you rich (in-game.) It's worth it if you have the cash to burn. Just, I don't know, I can't justify another +$210 or so to upgrade to DC. That's just way too much to invest in something upfront.

You don't get double rolls on any loot tables afaik, just the final boss' loot. It sounds like every battle and side battle in a dungeon rewards something, cards or gold, and you can choose to exit the dungeon at any point with what you've acquired, or continue to attempt to clear it but risk losing it all if you fail. Dungeon crawler tier will probably never leave a dungeon early, because the 2x payoff is only for the dungeon boss battle.

Proven

Last word was that dungeon crawler gets you extra loot on any boss in the dungeon. This includes mini-bosses along with the final boss. I'd assume that end game dungeons would then have several bosses to deal with too.

KHarvey16

Sorry, just one more question:

Sockets/Equipments for PVE

Equipments: They mention you make the decks with those cards... so that means e.g. in a 50-card deck, you need to somehow fit in equipment cards that are VERY narrowly specific for only one champion-card and you have to hope to draw both to make use? Or do you equip the PvE card within the deckbuilder already and it then comes with that equipment automatically (you don't have to draw both card&equipment within the game)?

What about sockets? Do you put them in within the PvE deckbuilder as well? Or are they the "mana" cards that you then, say, take out from your mana-pool and equip a card with? Or are they completely different cards?

EDIT:

Yes, I get that now, thank you :) All makes sense to me now. Just took me a while to understand the different idea haha.

As I understand it equipment goes on your character. You can equip six slots and they'll be "active" all the time. In other words, you'll never have all of the equipment for every card active in a game. Sockets I believe exist on cards themselves. So you draw a socketed card with equipped gems and it has whatever bonuses they grant.

Proven

As I understand it equipment goes on your character. You can equip six slots and they'll be "active" all the time. In other words, you'll never have all of the equipment for every card active in a game. Sockets I believe exist on cards themselves. So you draw a socketed card with equipped gems and it has whatever bonuses they grant.
In addition, you put gems into socket cards during deck building. Socket cards are available in PvP, but the list of different gems to put in them is finite, while you get an infinite amount of gems to use just like mana.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The game is F2P, so I imagine the client, PVE content, and your first starter will be free.

From there, you probably have unlimited access to PvE content - dungeons, quests, etc. HOWEVER, new booster packs (starters as well?) will cost platinum - a currency that appears to be available only via real money OR by selling items on their auction house for platinum.

Sponsored tournaments will also require platinum. Current figures are looking like $2-$3 for a booster pack and maybe $1 for a tournament entry fee for a draft.

So to recap, you'll need platinum to

1) Buy packs / decks from Crypto
2) Pay for entry fees for tournaments
3) Buy some items off the AH (prices set by players)

For everything else, there is a gold. Gold should be available by selling stuff on the AH and through PVE content.

Just to reiterate, but I'm not entirely sure how accurate / comprehensive the above is.

Wow, you can buy boosters from other players off the AH?
Why would players sell them for anything less than retail?

Hmm, unless you started trading PvE loot drops for unopened booster packs...I'm not sure I like where this is going. Smells too much like Diablo III.
Thanks! Looks like starters/decks will be $10.

multivac

Could anyone point me toward video of a dungeon? Tons of information out there that I have little time to sort through. I'm trying to decide whether the Dungeon Crawler tier sounds worthwhile. Thanks!

Minsc

Gold Member
Could anyone point me toward video of a dungeon? Tons of information out there that I have little time to sort through. I'm trying to decide whether the Dungeon Crawler tier sounds worthwhile. Thanks!

Tier is sold out though, so you don't have any choice in the matter :p

I wouldn't mind seeing a video of PvE myself, but afaik that part of the game isn't ready and they're focusing on the PvP until the final release? Maybe the beta will have some PvE, I'm not sure.

multivac

Tier is sold out though, so you don't have any choice in the matter :p

I wouldn't mind seeing a video of PvE myself, but afaik that part of the game isn't ready and they're focusing on the PvP until the final release? Maybe the beta will have some PvE, I'm not sure.

Sorry, I forgot to say, I pledged last night when it was running out. Looking more for a reason to keep it I suppose :)

KHarvey16

I don't think they've really showed off any PvE yet. Definitely seems like PvP was addressed first and the PvE stuff isn't quite ready for demos. Unfortunately the bigger problem is the dungeon crawler tier sold out! That might make your decision easier, or you might want to check in a few times to see if you can grab one that someone else dropped out of.

EDIT

Just saw your latest post.

Smiley90

Aah that makes sense for the equipment, thanks. I guess you can't make decks toooo crazy OP then. :p

So you can augment every socketable card before the game? Alright, interesting. You mention there's an unlimited amount of gems, but then what are crafting materials (mentiones in the kickstarter and Q&A) for? I thought those were for crafting the aforementioned gems?

Edited for clarity

Minsc

Gold Member
So you can augment every card before the game? Alright, interesting. You mention there's an unlimited amount of gems, but then what are crafting materials (mentiones in the kickstarter and Q&A) for? I thought those were for crafting the aforementioned gems?

No, only select cards are socket-able. I don't think it's a high percentage either, from what we've seen the norm is for cards to have no sockets for gems. If you look at www.hextcg.com and click through the colors, you'll see the vast majority of cards aren't compatible with gems.

Among those select cards that work with gems, only some can use major gems, some socket-able cards are restricted to using minor gems only. Likely the less useful the card is by itself, the better a chance of using a major gem with it is.

Smiley90

No, only select cards are socket-able. I don't think it's a high percentage either, from what we've seen the norm is for cards to have no sockets for gems. If you look at www.hextcg.com and click through the colors, you'll see the vast majority of cards aren't compatible with gems.

Among those select cards that work with gems, only some can use major gems, some socket-able cards are restricted to using minor gems only. Likely the less useful the card is by itself, the better a chance of using a major gem with it is.

Sorry I meant "you can augment every card *that is socketable* before the game", not every card. I know only a few are socketable major/minor cards. :p

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So we'll most likely unlock the second chest but the third chest seems like an impossibility at this point.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just found out about this game. How is development progressing? Looking good so far? Really want to fund this.

KHarvey16

Just found out about this game. How is development progressing? Looking good so far? Really want to fund this.

By just about any estimation we'll be playing the alpha in a matter of weeks, with beta in or around September. PvP at least is quite far along.

multivac

Would you guys keep the Dungeon Crawler tier or go for the Collector Tier since it includes double Spectral Lotus? My hesitation is that I can't find much info on just how much Dungeon Crawler will actually reward you while playing. Collector, on the other hand, has two Spectral Lotus and 6 exclusive cards per year.

Luigi87

Update #28 up
PrincessCory_Gear_Web.png

Oh my.

Ryuukan

Would you guys keep the Dungeon Crawler tier or go for the Collector Tier since it includes double Spectral Lotus? My hesitation is that I can't find much info on just how much Dungeon Crawler will actually reward you while playing. Collector, on the other hand, has two Spectral Lotus and 6 exclusive cards per year.

Collector is a much bigger gamble, since you don't know what cards you will be getting yearly in the long run.

KHarvey16

Hmm sounds good, gonna put in 35 bucks.

Check out some of the recorded live feeds on their twitch page if you get a chance. There's a couple hours of pvp play up there that'll definitely give you an idea of how everything is looking at this point. They've said the game has been in development for a couple years now and the kickstarter is to get the resources they need to finish. It's been a great way to establish a community early, too!

Draxal

They would get much more if they open up some more of the higher tiers again (between the 500-1000 dollar range).

multivac

I've been trying to get caught up with this game after finding out about it yesterday. I'm a lapsed MTG player, and I love the similarities, but also the possibilities that a full digital game allows.

What impresses me most, though, is the clear respect for the competitive aspect. There are some crazy ass cards and huge amounts of variability, but it looks to me like it's restricted mainly to the PvE side of things.

Minsc

Gold Member
Collector is a much bigger gamble, since you don't know what cards you will be getting yearly in the long run.

Yup, I don't think an extra Lotus Garden is what one should be looking at when determining value, but to play devil's advocate there was a thread on the hex forums with people pointing out the the foil versions of rare MTGO cards can be worth 3x as much as the normal versions (300 vs 100 iirc), and that the alternate art of some standard starter pokemon? card is one of the most highly priced cards in the set I think. Not sure how rare foils from MTGO are compared to Collector cards (there'll be what, a max of around 4,000 of each of the alt. cards if the tiers above it sell out?), and it's definitely a gamble, but depending on one's free time, getting your investment back on the collector tier (if the cards are good) is probably one of the easier endeavors. Even the Pro tier could be seen as more of a risk if you're unsure if you'll be able to commit to drafting every single week.

So so so so excited for this. I'm honestly surprised they're meeting the newly set kickstarter goals. Great stuff. I'm backing with the King tier and just want to get the game in my hands.

Draxal

Probably, but it's a matter of principle!

Ayup, I was kinda stating the obvious. But I would be willing to jump from 125 to 500, but not the 250 tiers. The currently open ones (except for maybe collector) just don't provide enough oomph.

Draxal

Well double post bump.

With that said a couple of dungeon crawlers opened up and I picked up one of them. They're gone now.

I honestly do think I'd prefer Grand King over this (and maybe collector).

multivac

Corey just claimed on a Twitch stream that Dungeon Crawler applies to Raids as well unless they changed it without his knowledge. All other info is to the contrary, though... Probably misspoke.

Proven

So I did a quick computer job for the family and came out with a bit of cash. I was going to put it towards an eventual Wii U (I need that Bayonetta 2) but Hex is ending in two days...

Biting the bullet and going with King. Please let that Lotus pay off.

Izayoi

Banned
Well, we hit the next stretch goal.

Only one left, but I'm not sure we'll make it unless there's an unprecedented push tomorrow. Once Collector sells out there's not a whole lot of big pledges left to really push it forward.

Well, we hit the next stretch goal.

Only one left, but I'm not sure we'll make it unless there's an unprecedented push tomorrow. Once Collector sells out there's not a whole lot of big pledges left to really push it forward.

Would be interesting to see what it is.

Top Bottom