• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Upgraded to King. Yeyoooo.

Still not sure what exactly you can craft (and how)/how gems for sockets work. I know you can socket cards before starting games and that they're not permanent (you can move them from one card to the other), but that'd imply that they're limited, right?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Still need to figure out how to gift a tier to a friend before time runs out.

Ask Cory on FB or Twitter! Seriously? How awesome is it that a president of a gaming company uses his personal Facebook to interact with his customers?

But because Mr. Jones might be busy, you can always contact customer support or use the Hex phone from the video (which, incidentally, calls Cory).

Proven

Upgraded to King. Yeyoooo.

Still not sure what exactly you can craft (and how)/how gems for sockets work. I know you can socket cards before starting games and that they're not permanent (you can move them from one card to the other), but that'd imply that they're limited, right?
Despite that implication, you're given an unlimited amount of them in PvP, much like you have an unlimited amount of land cards you can put in your deck.

Smiley90

Despite that implication, you're given an unlimited amount of them in PvP, much like you have an unlimited amount of land cards you can put in your deck.

You do? Do you get an unlimited amount for PvE as well, or are they restricted there?

I was under the assumption that crafting components were loot from PvE used to craft gems... Guess I was wrong. :p What CAN you craft? Cards? e.g. I know 4 Black Panthers make one Spectral Lotus, if I'm not completely wrong...

Ryuukan

You do? Do you get an unlimited amount for PvE as well, or are they restricted there?

I was under the assumption that crafting components were loot from PvE used to craft gems... Guess I was wrong. :p What CAN you craft? Cards? e.g. I know 4 Black Panthers make one Spectral Lotus, if I'm not completely wrong...

Don't you need a garden to do that though

Beepos

Definitely at King level at the moment though I'm still wondering if I should go to 250 tier -

With Dungeon Crawler gone Collector Edition could be work well with the value of those alt art PvP cards (as per the foil/rare art MTG card discussion above), though not knowing what cards makes it pretty meh: if they are unpopular no one will want them.

The 1 yr worth of boosters would be the main draw for set 2/3 cards but for an extra $130 I may be better using that cash to buy boosters from future sets or subscribing for boosters ($4 a week is it?) to ensure I get non set 1 cards.

Also, do we know what the VIP program is and what benefits it grants? Curious to see how much it will be per month after the free time expires.

Smiley90

Definitely at King level at the moment though I'm still wondering if I should go to 250 tier -

With Dungeon Crawler gone Collector Edition could be work well with the value of those alt art PvP cards (as per the foil/rare art MTG card discussion above), though not knowing what cards makes it pretty meh: if they are unpopular no one will want them.

The 1 yr worth of boosters would be the main draw for set 2/3 cards but for an extra $130 I may be better using that cash to buy boosters from future sets or subscribing for boosters ($4 a week is it?) to ensure I get non set 1 cards.

Also, do we know what the VIP program is and what benefits it grants? Curious to see how much it will be per month after the free time expires.

I believe it is one free booster per week.

biocat

I don't understand how everyone can be so confident that this will take off to invest several hundred dollars in it. I mean it's a nearly carbon copy of MTG with some added online components.

I'm not trying to criticize the game, so do don't take me wrong. I just want to know why everyone thinks this will do so well.

Smiley90

I don't understand how everyone can be so confident that this will take off to invest several hundred dollars in it. I mean it's a nearly carbon copy of MTG with some added online components.

I'm not trying to criticize the game, so do don't take me wrong. I just want to know why everyone thinks this will do so well.

I invested several... hundred hours into MTGO.

I spent about... 10h on Bioshock Infinite, which I paid 50 dollars for. I can justify spending 120 on this because I know I'll spend at least 30h on this game, EVEN if it doesn't take off. If it takes off, probably MTGO-levels. Compared to "regular" videogames, it'll definitely be worth it, even if it's not hugely and lastingly successful.

And it has all the components it needs to be hugely and lastingly successful.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

WotC is too afraid to risk MTG to truly bring it into the realm of digital TCGs. I think you can agree that TCGs are going there - whether now or eventually. What Crypto is doing is essentially what Riot did with the MOBA genre when Blizzard didn't act: they are taking advantage of an opportunity that the original innovators refused to do.

On top of that you also have the brilliant idea of combining a massively multiplayer component to the TCG component because both rely on a massive community to be truly fun. Also, CZE's enthusiasm is inspiring and it feels like a safe bet. CZE has already spent money and 2 years of development prior to this KS - this isn't a project totally and wholly relying on KS backers and support.

KuroNeeko

If there is one thing that stands out in particular about this KS, it's that Crypto has done an outstanding job on the backer awards. I threw in $20 for a few packs and Alpha access - something I haven't done for any other game, yet here I am staring at the clock and debating whether to upgrade to King.

They've really done a good job making the tiers attractive. I have the sneaking suspicion that King + is really where they want people to invest. Plus, the rewards will actually go to getting players more invested (emotionally and financially) in the game, leading to larger retention rates and more income.

Three free booster drafts? That's so smart! Give them a taste of a BD (while claiming it's a reward) and you'll have that many new players willing to shell out for three packs and the entry fee. It's very similar to a lot of these social games out there. Very well done.

Biocat, I think it's more of a sign that WotC has really dropped the ball than anything else. There is a need out there for a meaty, online card game that MtGO and DotP doesn't fill. It was just a matter of time before someone pounced on the opportunity.

I'd say it's that need, along with the smartly designed KS rewards, that is really pushing everyone to donate more.

WotC is too afraid to risk MTG to truly bring it into the realm of digital TCGs.

Yeah, they should have rebuilt MtGO. They would have had a solid IP and been the first in the market. Now I think it's a missed opportunity for them.

KuroNeeko

Have there been any comments as to when an alpha might arrive? It's why I pledged at the Squire tier.

No. The only hints we have are that 1) Beta will probably arrive in September and 2) they want to give backers ample time to enjoy Alpha.

Some people are guessing July, but I'm going to guess early August.

Smiley90

Pretty sure we'll beat the next Stretch Goal. Probably before they even announce what it'll be :lol It's even possible to beat 2.7Mio with a strong final day, which wouldn't be untypical for kickstarter. The lack of high-price options might be a bit of a hurdle, but there's still plenty of money to be spent on King etc. (Also, Primal Tier has 1 left. Producer close to being sold out, too.)

Izayoi

Banned
You get unlimited basic resources in all formats, and unlimited gems in all PvP formats. In PvE I believe you have to earn your gems via dungeons etc.

What CAN you craft? Cards?
Yep. Only thing confirmed so far.

One booster every week from current set, and a "goldfish" function that lets you dummy draw your deck to see how your starting hands turn out.

iirate

Well, spent one good day looking at everything this game has to offer, and I'm officially in for The Collector. I'm looking at the extra Garden and AA cards as a potentially strong financial investment and my long history with MtG(and TCGs in general, starting with Pokemon in 98) leads me to believe that I'm going to be in this for the long haul.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on a card game, so it's a bit of a gamble, but it's one that should pay for itself easily enough, given the above and the free drafts and such.

Drafts are definitely my thing, so the plan is to sell packs(preferably Primals) and extra PvE cards for plat to buy in using my free packs, and to simply not open anything outside of draft. I'm in it for PvP primarily, but would love to do PvE as well, assuming it's well executed.

KuroNeeko

So i take it its better to choose the 25 Booster packs over the 3 decks for Warrior tier?

You get both;D

The (Your Choice) means you get to choose which 3 starters you want. It should read -

3 starters of your choice +
25 Booster Packs

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder which one will come out as winner between this and Scrolls in the end. Scrolls got Mojang and the Minecraft army behind it, this one has a (seemingly) really cool team who doesn't take itself too seriously and comes off way more sympathetic.

Haven't seen much of the actual gameplay of Hex yet, but Scrolls actually seems to have some great ideas, like positioning and all that. Hex on the other hand has that whole RPG thing going and a great graphic fidelity and quality. Oh, and there's also that Warcraft thing which name I forgot. Which should be an instant winner just because Blizzard.

So many TCGs.

The only one who seems to really lose here is WotC. See guys, you had your chance with the Planeswalkers series, and you blew it. And everyone called out why, so there's not really an excuse here.

KuroNeeko

Wonder which one will come out as winner between this and Scrolls in the end. Scrolls got Mojang and the Minecraft army behind it, this one has a (seemingly) really cool team who doesn't take itself too seriously and comes off way more sympathetic.

Haven't seen much of the actual gameplay of Hex yet, but Scrolls actually seems to have some great ideas, like positioning and all that. Hex on the other hand has that whole RPG thing going and a great graphic fidelity.

I think there's room for both. Hex is a card game. I think the more revolutionary ideas will come with the PvE aspect of it. PvP is probably going to be close to what you get with Magic: The Gathering (and I have zero problems with that.)

Scrolls does have a card element to it, but it I think it's more of a tactical / strategy game. I don't think Scrolls will receive the same amount of resources that Hex gets. I get the impression that it's more a labor of love. I think Notch will be happy just to break even since he's said that Minecraft has giving him the freedom to make the kinds of games he wants to make.

Hex, while clearly made by a dedicated and qualified team, is looking at the bigger picture. If they can get the fan base their aiming for, craft a suitable PvE / PvP experience, and even get into E-sports - they're going to make SO much cash.

I've invested in both. I like Scrolls. I don't think they should really be compared.

I'm tempted to say that Hearthstone will be more of a rival, simply because it's Blizzard, but to be honest I think Hex's biggest contender is MTG. Unfortunately for WotC, they've already lost the initiative. We may see Hex dominate the digital world and Magic concentrate solely on the physical medium.

edit: stop editing your post, dammit;D

Boken

Banned

Haven't seen much of the actual gameplay of Hex yet, but Scrolls actually seems to have some great ideas, like positioning and all that. Hex on the other hand has that whole RPG thing going and a great graphic fidelity and quality. Oh, and there's also that Warcraft thing which name I forgot. Which should be an instant winner just because Blizzard.

So many TCGs.

The only one who seems to really lose here is WotC. See guys, you had your chance with the Planeswalkers series, and you blew it. And everyone called out why, so there's not really an excuse here.

Scrolls is nice, but they should've really made it a F2P game. At 21$ in beta, and possibly 30$ later on, this would limit the playerbase so much. Games which depend on an active playerbase (competitive PvP) should be F2P by default, really

Hex has the benefit of having a F2P trojan horse in PvE where periodic free drafts would entice more players to spend money

Poetic

I'm officially pledged now at Collector tier. I'm probably going to grab a King tomorrow night as well unless I can snag a Pro.

Worst part about this game is going to be waiting for the betas.

Ryuukan

Scrolls is nice, but they should've really made it a F2P game. At 21$ in beta, and possibly 30$ later on, this would limit the playerbase so much. Games which depend on an active playerbase (competitive PvP) should be F2P by default, really

Hex has the benefit of having a F2P trojan horse in PvE where periodic free drafts would entice more players to spend money

I purchased Scrolls and honestly, I feel cheated. It is super grindy and the games can be incredibly drawn out even when one player is dominating. It's like the game was made to want players to surrender instead of finishing games. I thought the hex map would be interesting but it just adds a huge amount of tedium instead of strategy.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sort of helpful post here in the hex forums about money strategies when the game is released.

A few things I probably read but overlooked worth mentioning are:

- The booster price you should be purchasing if you do buy boosters is actually ~$0.92 due to VIP pricing (preferably less if you want to come out ahead), not $2.

- Instead of opening boosters, even if you're pressed for time, drafting against Pro players (which are likely found in the highest stakes draft) gives the best chance of getting a rares draft, which is immensely more valuable. Even if you aren't good, drafting and losing is better than straight opening boosters because everyone wins, you get a chance of getting a rares draft, and everyone else who's actually playing gets a chance of playing someone not as good so they're happy too lol.

- Normal boosters have a chance to turn to primal packs when won from drafts or bought in the AH, which will probably be worth a ton, so see the above point again about why never to open booster packs.

Other little odds and ends most people probably are aware of, but it's still a nice little fyi for anyone not too familiar with tcgs.

Proven

Sort of helpful post here in the hex forums about money strategies when the game is released.

A few things I probably read but overlooked worth mentioning are:

- The booster price you should be purchasing if you do buy boosters is actually ~$0.92 due to VIP pricing (preferably less if you want to come out ahead), not $2.

- Instead of opening boosters, even if you're pressed for time, drafting against Pro players (which are likely found in the highest stakes draft) gives the best chance of getting a rares draft, which is immensely more valuable. Even if you aren't good, drafting and losing is better than straight opening boosters because everyone wins, you get a chance of getting a rares draft, and everyone else who's actually playing gets a chance of playing someone not as good so they're happy too lol.

- Normal boosters have a chance to turn to primal packs when won from drafts or bought in the AH, which will probably be worth a ton, so see the above point again about why never to open booster packs.

Other little odds and ends most people probably are aware of, but it's still a nice little fyi for anyone not too familiar with tcgs.

That's a link that should probably end up in any OT we make for this game.

ultron87

From that link:
and any pack you get on the AH has the potential to *"turn into" a primal pack.

This seems like a weird system to have in place. Couldn't you just sell packs back and forth between two accounts until they turn into Primals?

Ryuukan

From that link:

This seems like a weird system to have in place. Couldn't you just sell packs back and forth between two accounts until they turn into Primals?

I would assume when the virtual item is first created, that is the only chance to turn primal. That sounds ridiculous otherwise.

Edit: the link's fine print:

* - "turn into" mentioned in step 3 above refers to using the pack as collateral to win other packs. No pack you buy on the AH will be a primal pack. But if you use the packs you buy on the AH to win more packs in draft or other competitive play.. those packs you win could be primal packs.

Minsc

Gold Member
I hope the final goal is shown a bit earlier today, clock is ticking down

My guess is they'll combo it in to a "less than 24 hours remaining" reminder update in another 4-5 hours as the final update.

Yeah, I missed the fine print about that AH turning in to primal packs earlier and was a little confused, but I see it now, using platinum to buy the boosters on the AH and then using the boosters in a draft gets you a chance at primal packs.

sammich

Goddamn it.. i want in on one of the 250. But im getting married middle of July and there is no way i can afford 250 right now. Or i could.. i guess i can cut out some flowers lol.

Minsc

Gold Member

ixeIGCu.jpg

Test draw in the deck editor! Click 100 times to see how often your deck will mana screw you or get that perfect combo of cards. Is this in MTGO? I never noticed it, but it sounds wonderful.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm tempted but I'm really hesitant. What's the monitezation model exactly? I like MTG, but do not play it due to the absurd cost required to stay competent.

Not a fan of permanent boosts granted to Kickstarters either.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm tempted but I'm really hesitant. What's the monitezation model exactly? I like MTG, but do not play it due to the absurd cost required to stay competent.

There are no permanent boosts granted to PvP outside of free drafting (only once per week) tiers iirc.

There's gold, which is earned in PvE, and can be used to buy stuff in the Auction House. Obviously you can sell you own cards for gold as well in the Auction House, which you can win for free from PvE as well.

There's platinum which is the premium currency, bought with real money, which again you can get from selling cards/boosters in the auction house, and use to buy cards/boosters.

It's suggested that boosters cost ~$1 a pack if you don't buy direct (which you shouldn't), so you can draft relatively cheaply. If you're not in to drafting and just want to play PvP, well who knows how expensive it will be to be competitive, but all PvP can be traded (bought) for gold as well, so if people are trading them for gold, you can get them for free from earning gold from PvE.

Draxal

Big thing this game has over Scrolls is drafting, drafting is a huge draw for MTG and they don't have that in Scrolls.

Ryuukan

None of the "boosts" give any real advantage in competitive/PVP play.

I've explained this before to a friend, relating it to MTG:
When the original set came out, no one outside the US had a chance to buy those packs. Many people in the US had no way of purchasing them either. A bunch of very desirable cards went out of print and are still in high demand today.

Hex is a public kickstarter that nearly anyone can pledge to for the rewards. This is far more accessible than MTG's launch which was also way more lucrative to those who were lucky enough to be able to buy in early.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit I'll bite. Bought the Warrior pack. How long till this comes out? >.<

Mugaaz

The monetization is exactly like MTGO, except with cheaper packs. If you don't like it in MTGO you won't like it here, but it will be half as bad.

Ryuukan

Big thing this game has over Scrolls is drafting, drafting is a huge draw for MTG and they don't have that in Scrolls.

Apologies to anyone else who bought Scrolls, including me, but choosing between it and Hex is like trying to decide between The Last of Us and the latest Zynga release on facebook.

Luigi87

I think I may have finally convinced my friend to back this, even if only at the Squire tier.
... It's all coming together...

Top Bottom