• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
ixeIGCu.jpg

Test draw in the deck editor! Click 100 times to see how often your deck will mana screw you or get that perfect combo of cards. Is this in MTGO? I never noticed it, but it sounds wonderful.

MTGO doesn't have this. You had to start AI games over and over to test :lol

red13th

Thanks! Looking at the cards I got another question:

What do those blue diamonds mean? I'd figure it'd be something like blue mana but from what I gathered resources don't have colours just "thresholds" do.

Ryuukan

Thanks! Looking at the cards I got another question:

What do those blue diamonds mean? I'd figure it'd be something like blue mana but from what I gathered resources don't have colours just "thresholds" do.

I assume it means you have to have 2 blue threshold to use the ability. Otherwise, you could put this card in any deck.

Smiley90

Yeah I think the resource cost is 5 but you need at least two blue.

He's talking about the ability, though.

Good question actually, wonder if it's "you need 2 blue threshold to use ability, but costs nothing to use"? Would seem most logical to me. Could also be "need 2 blue theshold to cast, costs 2 resources to cast", which would be slightly counter-intuitive just by the symbols... But "free to cast" abilities seem OP. :p

Ryuukan

Good question actually, wonder if it's "you need blue threshold to use ability, but costs nothing to use"? Would seem most logical to me.

Thats what I meant. As in, if the ability just cost 2 resources, you could utilize this card in any deck regardless of color.

Smiley90

Thats what I meant. As in, if the ability just cost 2 resources, you could utilize this card in any deck regardless of color.

The real question is, is it JUST that you need 2 blue threshold to cast, or do you also need to pay 2 resources? It's not obvious just from the symbols. I assume it's free to cast, gut feeling.

mercviper

The real question is, is it JUST that you need 2 blue threshold to cast, or do you also need to pay 2 resources? It's not obvious just from the symbols.

Since the card itself mentions free to cast, I'm fairly certain it's you just need 2 blue threshold available to use the ability.

red13th

Hmm I think I get it now.
There's another one with a similar structure.

So you need the blue (or white) threshold denoted in the ability to "play" the cards from your deck once the trigger happens, makes sense.

StMeph

Does anyone know HOW to stack tiers? I have a Pro I signed up for early on in the campaign, but now would like to add a King. Do I just adjust my contribution amount on the same KS account to reflect the new total, and make a note somewhere? Or do I need to make a second KS account and somehow link them later?

I do want them together on the same account. I am just not sure what the easiest/smoothest process for that is.

Ryuukan

Does anyone know HOW to stack tiers? I have a Pro I signed up for early on in the campaign, but now would like to add a King. Do I just adjust my contribution amount on the same KS account to reflect the new total, and make a note somewhere? Or do I need to make a second KS account and somehow link them later?

I do want them together on the same account. I am just not sure what the easiest/smoothest process for that is.

I believe you need to purchase extra tiers via paypal but they all have to be using the same email address and same email as kickstarter if you're stacking between them.

KHarvey16

Good question actually, wonder if it's "you need 2 blue threshold to use ability, but costs nothing to use"? Would seem most logical to me. Could also be "need 2 blue theshold to cast, costs 2 resources to cast", which would be slightly counter-intuitive just by the symbols... But "free to cast" abilities seem OP. :p

Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes the most sense. Free implies no resource cost so the two blues must be a threshold to cast.

Smiley90

Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes the most sense. Free implies no resource cost so the two blues must be a threshold to cast.

Yeah it seems like they're free "extra" abilities that need you to fulfill the threshold. I can see some future cards having both - a threshold requirement AND an activation cost.

Ryuukan

A con sounds cool, but I want to enjoy Hex because I dont want to be a creepy old man in a comic shop or a convention.

Izayoi

Banned
Eh. I get that they don't want to do anymore game related stuff, but I'm not really interested in a con at all. Oh well, we already got tons of cool stuff, so it's not a big deal.

KHarvey16

It's gonna take a big push to get to $2.5 million so part of me doesn't mind at all that it's a reward I couldn't personally use. Though I would really love to see it met because a con can only increase popularity.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
It's gonna take a big push to get to $2.5 million so part of me doesn't mind at all that it's a reward I couldn't personally use. Though I would really love to see it met because a con can only increase popularity.

Does anyone think that a HexCon is already planned and this stretch goal just goes to free entry for all backers + extra day for King and above?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What would exactly happen at a HexCon? You can't even buy actual cards there!

Wait, what happens at a regular Blizzcon?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Question, will you be able to get cards from playing PvE? Or will they only be gettable through booster packs and trading?

Izayoi

Banned
Question, will you be able to get cards from playing PvE? Or will they only be gettable through booster packs and trading?
PvE cards through PvE only. You can get PvP cards/boosters from PvE in a very roundabout way (by buying them with in-game gold from the Auction House).

Smiley90

Only PvE cards from PvE, AFAIK. (And currency for the AH, etc)

Edit: Beaten with the exact same info...

Izayoi

Banned
They're getting a lot of flack on the comments for the KS update...
Not surprising. A lot of people aren't going to be able to participate in a con, and there are no additional in-game rewards for the people who don't get any benefit from free entry.

I don't really care either way, but I can see how people in other countries especially might be upset about it.

-GJ-

Me and a friend have been looking into buying into the $20 tier (we aren't big card game players, except for Pokémon), and we have some questions.

Is the game noob friendly? Will there be a tutorial or whatever, or do they expect you to already know how a game like Magic or the WoW card game works? Are there ways to buy the booster packs or single cards with in-game currency, or do you have to get everything with real money? This isn't really a big deal for me since from what I've read it seems to be reasonably priced, but for him it is.

Oh, and is there a date when the Beta will be released? I couldn't find this on their website.

Izayoi

Banned
Me and a friend have been looking into buying into the $20 tier (we aren't big card game players, except for Pokémon), and we have some questions.

Is the game noob friendly? Will there be a tutorial or whatever, or do they expect you to already know how a game like Magic or the WoW card game works? Are there ways to buy the booster packs or single cards with in-game currency, or do you have to get everything with real money? This isn't really a big deal for me since from what I've read it seems to be reasonably priced, but for him it is.

Oh, and is there a date when the Beta will be released? I couldn't find this on their website.
1.) Very noob friendly, they've stated that they want to walk new players through the game very meticulously if so they choose.
2.) You can buy boosters and singles off of the AH with in-game gold. Boosters can also be purchased with Platinum, CZE's premium currency.
3.) Early September of this year.

-GJ-

1.) Very noob friendly, they've stated that they want to walk new players through the game very meticulously if so they choose.
2.) You can buy boosters and singles off of the AH with in-game gold. Boosters can also be purchased with Platinum, CZE's premium currency.
3.) Early September of this year.

Thank you! One last question. Will we be able to back them through Paypal on their site even though their Kickstarter has ended? Like DoubleFine's Kickstarter campaign? Or do we have to buy into it before the campaign has ended?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Not surprising. A lot of people aren't going to be able to participate in a con, and there are no additional in-game rewards for the people who don't get any benefit from free entry.

I don't really care either way, but I can see how people in other countries especially might be upset about it.

They could be upset, but it's not like they are not getting ALL THAT OTHER STUFF. Besides stretch goals are just a bonus thing. No one is forcing people to donate more than they already have to get the next goal.

KHarvey16

Thank you! One last question. Will we be able to back them through Paypal on their site even though their Kickstarter has ended? Like DoubleFine's Kickstarter campaign? Or do we have to buy into it before the campaign has ended?

They'll have a thing for $50 after the kickstarter but you don't get any of the KS exclusive stuff. Also if you back while the KS is going on you'll get alpha access in a few weeks(July-August timeframe).

Blackheim

I wish I had not seen this topic heh. I used to play the hell out of MTG in '96 and have played some of the PC games over the years and all of a sudden I've developed a nasty itch to play something like that again :/ I really like the PvE aspect, seems like some of the older MTG PC games and then the PvP is like standard duels/group play. It sounds like the best of both worlds and anything less than the $120 tier seems a waste... Trying to resist but I really don't know if I can!

-GJ-

They'll have a thing for $50 after the kickstarter but you don't get any of the KS exclusive stuff. Also if you back while the KS is going on you'll get alpha access in a few weeks(July-August timeframe).

Okay, thanks. Looks like we have 20 hours to decide. I'm pretty excited. It looks like a lot of fun based on the gameplay video I've seen.

Noreturn

This is exactly the same tiers I got. Sounded like a really good combo. You get a complete set of the kickstarter exclusives and 2 Lotus's. I bought the Pro through kickstarter and the king through paypal like mentioned above under the same email.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I wish I had not seen this topic heh. I used to play the hell out of MTG in '96 and have played some of the PC games over the years and all of a sudden I've developed a nasty itch to play something like that again :/ I really like the PvE aspect, seems like some of the older MTG PC games and then the PvP is like standard duels/group play. It sounds like the best of both worlds and anything less than the $120 tier seems a waste... Trying to resist but I really don't know if I can!
Join us.... Join us....

Seriously though check out the videos on Twitch Tv they have and read up on the articles and see if you want to take the dive. I'm hype as hell for it personally.

Proven

There was another update today. They're making a compromise with the HEXcon. Any promo they give out there, whether it be a champion, a card, or even sleeves, will immediately be dropped into every Hex backer's digital account.

Smiley90

There was another update today. They're making a compromise with the HEXcon. Any promo they give out there, whether it be a champion, a card, or even sleeves, will immediately be dropped into every Hex backer's digital account.

Niiiiice. Great for people like me who won't get to to go.

Top Bottom