• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It actually is a token. It spawns after the Lotus card is sacrificied.

It's not a color for tokens lol
WrathOfZakiir_Gear_Web.png

Black tiger isn't a token either. It's a card. You lose the lotus card forever as it turns into a black tiger.

C-Drive

Besides, on those HEX TCG forums I can see people wanting 3 of those Pro tiers on a single account.. what?

They're getting it too from what I can tell. Two kickstarter accounts and one paypal to get three separate pro player tiers for one HEX account. For $750 they'll get three free drafts (9 boosters) every week for life.

I'm not a fan of it, as it seems to blow the purpose of multiple tiers out of the water. Don't blame the guy though - if I had $750 lying around I might do it too.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kickstarter doesn't start something along the same lines eventually where you can "multi-tier" in a KS. "Add this tier to cart?"

C-Drive

Black tiger isn't a token either. It's a card. You lose the lotus card forever as it turns into a black tiger.

You only lose the Spectral Lotus card, which you get one per login a day from the Spectral Lotus Garden. And I think you can craft 3/4 Black Tigers into another Spectral Lotus.

Proven

First, here's an FAQ from questions gathered from the kickstarter page. Kinda long already: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23180

Plague card I was talking about before, now that I realize I can just link it:

Second, there currently are no "tokens" in this game. Anything that would become a token becomes a card instead, and because of this they do things where you'll get extra cards in your deck or hand instead of just on the field. Alternate ways to get card advantage, in a sense. Another bonus of being digital.

Something else I've noticed about being digital, it allows them to do all sorts of transformations.

Third, equipment doesn't go on cards. Equipment is PvE only and goes on your character. When you go into PvE you choose a race (out of 8) and a class (out of 6). As you find loot, you can equip them into one of six equipment slots your character has. If you have the equipment on you, and you play a card related to it, then you unleash the extra power of the card.

Card socketting is a separate mechanic, and is even used in PvP. While wearing multiple equipment related to a card allows you to unlock everything of that card, you have limited sockets on open socket cards and thus can't have all the extra abilities at once.

C-Drive

I think a lot of people see it being a Magic clone, but it's the sort of cards like above that make it it's own animal. Being so similar to MTG just means everyone comes into the game knowing the basics of how to play.

ultron87

Yeah, all the digital only stuff like permanently changing cards regardless of zone and changing cards still in your library is really cool.

Proven

Ok, I was wrong about the sizes. There are two sizes, it's just that for every size, there are 10 different gems. That means every color gets two different gems in each size. Why do it this way? So that the sockets can have thresholds. Minor sockets can only use the 10 minor gems. Major sockets can have any of the 20 total gems in them.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
How does equipment work exactly? Is it per card or per card type? That is, do you need to equip every card separately, even if it's the same card? So assuming a 4 max of the same card, would you need 4 boots and 4 calling blades? Also, if so, then the clones it puts in your deck wouldn't have the draw card bonus, so they'd be significantly less valuable.

I believe equipment is only applied to your champion which will then effect all your cards in one or maybe different ways. Also equipment is PVE only while socketing is for both formats. PVP champions also don't have levels either.

Edit: Proven beat me to it!

Also, grey is the token color (or temporary troop color since tokens don't technically exist like in other games). The Black Tiger, however, is going to get a color change from grey since it will exist permanently after a game and not disappear once a game is over. Another interesting thing is that the Spectral Garden is the only way to get a Spectral Lotus and the only way to get a Spectral Garden is through Kickstarter. After that, it will be impossible to get one apart from the auction house. You can also create a Spectral Lotus by combining 3 Black Tiger cards but that only works if you have a Spectral Garden card.

Yaari

Already 220 backers for the 250$ Pro Player Tier. And 205 for the 500$ one. Damn.
I could even see those selling out.

I'd love to go there, but that is alot of money for a game you're not entirely sure for, whether it will be a succes or not. I guess that is how Kickstarter works though, eh.

jtkauff

OK, so it looks like the game is basically done, launching in 3-4 months. Is this Kickstarter a glorified pre-order?

Looks to me that the beta is starting in September (the $5 tier that is only the beta seems to be the most telling of this), and the gameplay footage is described as "pre-alpha" so I can't imagine that it'll launch this year even.

Edit: The list of compiled answers on the forums states Beta in September, launch (at latest) is expected by Summer 2014.

Shrennin

Looks to me that the beta is starting in September (the $5 tier that is only the beta seems to be the most telling of this), and the gameplay footage is described as "pre-alpha" so I can't imagine that it'll launch this year even.

I think this game will be released by Summer of 2014. The Beta will be in multiple waves (the first few will have everything - cards, equipment, etc) for free for testing. The latter will not have free cards, but those cards will remain with the players into the final game product.

ultron87

Also Stretch Goals. If you open the image in a new window it should be readable.

Nothing earth shattering in terms of new features, but they mostly sound worthwhile so far. Authenticator support is certainly appreciated. They all add more swag to the various backer levels which is always nice and a great way to power through the goals.

kami_sama

One thing I don't understand.
They said that new accounts have from the start one starter and one booster.
If I get the $20 tier, I'll have 3 starters and 11 boosters, right?

Also Stretch Goals. If you open the image in a new window it should be readable.
Nothing earth shattering in terms of new features, but they mostly sound worthwhile so far. Authenticator support is certainly appreciated. They all add more swag to the various backer levels which is always nice and a great way to power through the goals.
I hope I can use the google authenticator.

One thing I don't understand.
They said that new accounts have from the start one starter and one booster.
If I get the $20 tier, I'll have 3 starters and 11 boosters, right?

Right, they have stated that anything you get from the kickstarter does not diminish anything you would get for free.

Yaari

I really like the Stretch Goals so far. And giving people extra stuff will only encourage more backers. Those Primal Packs sound fun, glad they balance it out by not giving during drafts though.

I really wonder what is under the final 4 cards, the green and red ones. Should be something big. But we might never get that far.

Proven

I should have posted the full update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/479694

There they go into great detail about the stretch goals, and also a new video. I like how they've put out a video about the game every single day, and this one is a tiny bit meatier than the previous ones. It talks about the talent system and how every (10?) levels you unlock a new type of talent, with there being five levels of talents in all. There are three talent options at each tier, and the three you get are dependent on your class and (maybe?) race.

Shrennin

I really wonder what is under the final 4 cards, the green and red ones. Should be something big. But we might never get that far.

The 15 stretch goals represent a Hex booster - the 3 green is uncommon and the red is rare/legendary. It could be just theme based or those last 4 could be bigger stretch goals (or both).

Loxley

So I'm pretty interested in this whole thing, and I'm thinking about checking out some digital CCG/TCGs, what are some of the better ones out there?

So I'm pretty interested in this whole thing, and I'm thinking about checking out some digital CCG/TCGs, what are some of the better ones out there?

Shadow Era is probably one of the best currently available that is an actual digital CCG, though I don't really find there to be a lot of depth to the game. The Might & Magic one that recent came out is decent too, as they do a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the battles in HOMM in card form.

The Duels of the Planeswalker games for Magic are the best in the gameplay department simply due to being Magic, but are extremely limited as you don't open boosters, can't /really/ deck build at all, etc. So there isn't a lot of "Collectible" there as you're just given all the things.

ultron87

Averaging $119 per backer also seems pretty great. But I guess that makes sense since there isn't a "buy the game" level since it is free to play. So everyone backing is just doing it for swag. And the higher level swag is really tempting.

Shrennin

The way they handled the tiers and stretch goals so far is nothing short of brilliance. The game is, like was said, free to play but they added beta access due in September to all tiers. In that sense, you buy into the game earlier. Then all the rewards are going to be KS exclusive and those rewards will not be able to be obtained once the KS campaign has ended. On top of that, the stretch goals include not only added features to the game but additional rewards for the tiers. As a result, we almost have unlocked all the revealed stretch goals in the two days they've been revealed.

Also, Cryptozoic has already put their own money into this - this has been a project for them for the past two years. This KS campaign is to finish funding and to ultimately polish the game.

Shrennin

I sense a Legend of the Five Rings vibe from the upgrading card methods - they did that without being digital, yo! : )

Magic has transforming cards too, I believe. It's just not as common because of the upkeep involved.

ultron87

Magic has transforming cards too, I believe. It's just not as common because of the upkeep involved.

Yeah, Magic has done a few variations on transforming cards over the years. Most of them, except for level up, only had two possible states though.

V_Arnold

Yeah, there are those that can get tokens for mana, for example. Or flip cards, etc. But the digital space certainly is more flexible for these types of things.

L5R was (and still is) unique in that department mostly because these experience gains happened in the story, and were spread over two decades. I remember being the happiest kid on earth when one single random emerald deck's plus booster contained Ikoma Tsanuri EXP3...with her being my favorite in her EXP2 form. I ended up not using her EXP3 ever because it was not really good or anything, but it was a centerpiece of my collection, that is for sure.

CTLance

Despite their pedigree I have serious concerns about their ability to keep everything balanced. There's so much complexity, it's truly mindboggling. At the very least I fear for the NPC AI.

Also, those KS exclusive cards and abilities feel kind of overpowered to me (caveat: despite not knowing about the rest of the game yet). Still, XP boosts, lifegain/damage soaks or a ridiculous boost to boss loot sounds like non-backers and "poor" backers will really have a hard time competing on even ground.

Nonetheless, I am tempted. Really tempted. This could very well be the logical extension to Puzzle Quest I've always yearned for. I'm inclined to spend 65 to 85 for a CE, so that's probably what I'd plunk down... damn, that early bird King tier would've been nice.

Mugaaz

Despite their pedigree I have serious concerns about their ability to keep everything balanced. There's so much complexity, it's truly mindboggling. At the very least I fear for the NPC AI.

Also, those KS exclusive cards and abilities feel kind of overpowered to me (caveat: despite not knowing about the rest of the game yet). Still, XP boosts, lifegain/damage soaks or a ridiculous boost to boss loot sounds like non-backers and "poor" backers will really have a hard time competing on even ground.

Nonetheless, I am tempted. Really tempted. This could very well be the logical extension to Puzzle Quest I've always yearned for. I'm inclined to spend 65 to 85 for a CE, so that's probably what I'd plunk down... damn, that early bird King tier would've been nice.

I understand the worry for PvE. Cause i guess I really just don't understand the point, and I would also worry about AI in a TCG. I wouldn't be that worried at all about the PvP side since Cryptozoic has done it in the past. I like the IDEA of mmo pve tcg, but it just doesnt make sense. Like I can't wrap my head around how youd motivate people to do it through incentives, yet still entice people into buying shitloads of boosters. The PvE cards being distinct from the PvP ones make sense, but again make me question the point of PvE.

I want to back this game, and Pro tier and higher seems INSANE for rewards if I translated them into how much Id pay to get a similar reward in MTGO, but my faith is lacking to commit that much. Will think about it further.

Yaari

I'm also going to think about it a little longer. Apparently a stream will be on TwitchTV on Friday. That should be enough for me to make a final decision as to how much I want to back the project for.

StMeph

From what's been posted it would seem like only PvP cards come from opening boosters.

PvE cards come from playing PvE, in the form of quests, campaigns, and raids for drops and such.

I don't know what that means in terms of the additional treasure card from the booster though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Can anyone who backed please ask them for a Paypal option in their comments?

Yaari

I guess PayPal donations are paid for immediatly, unlike Kickstarter that charges when the campaign is over?

They also claim PayPal donations are accounted for on the Kickstarter page, but how does that work, they are not linked together at all right?

I guess PayPal donations are paid for immediatly, unlike Kickstarter that charges when the campaign is over?

They also claim PayPal donations are accounted for on the Kickstarter page, but how does that work, they are not linked together at all right?

Yes, and I assume that PayPal will count towards stretch goals. That said, PayPal will probably be not much because of aforementioned lack of promotion.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yes, and I assume that PayPal will count towards stretch goals. That said, PayPal will probably be not much because of aforementioned lack of promotion.

$35 now at least ;p In for the PVP story mode!

Proven

Yugioh and Pokemon have transforming cards aswell.

But, those require you to either have the extra cards in your deck, or carry around a special sideboard just for them. In the first case, it gives you a different type of mana screw when you have the transformed card but not the card to transform from. In the second case, it's just more upkeep problems with carrying extra cards around.

Top Bottom