• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

Mugaaz

Here's what I don't understand. As far as I can tell, they make ZERO money off the PvE game, and it's not monetized in anyway. So why exactly are they going to continue making cards, equipment, and content for it?

Here's what I don't understand. As far as I can tell, they make ZERO money off the PvE game, and it's not monetized in anyway. So why exactly are they going to continue making cards, equipment, and content for it?

Well, it is and isn't monetized. You CAN use PvP cards in PvE, and I'd assume their projections would be that even if a player only plays PvE, they will likely still purchase boosters in order to augment their PvE decks. It's a pretty same assumption to make, since they'll control the flow of cards you "win" from doing PvE.

Mugaaz

We'll, I'm in for $250 @ pro tier. Might double down and stack another later, will see after they release more vids. Was originally going to do Grand King, except, doing the math it made no sense. Tonyl thing I wanted besides Pro tier was collector cards from collector tier. However, double Pro would give you twice the exclusive cards and way more packs than GK. The Bonuses for the dungeon/raid/guild leader stuff seemed fluffy and pointless as well. Really don't think I'd need any help in PvE. Pro tier pays you $7 a week basically in addition to all the unique cards + 150boosters/4starts.

TommyT

This kickstarter hits all my buttons except for something physical in the mid-tiers. The $250 and $500 tiers are just so amazing...

SupaNaab

Can't decide which $250 tier is best. I think I'd probably prefer PvE in this case. Co-Op TCG Raiding sounds great. Pro player sounds best but Raid Leader sounds even broken for PvE.

Mugaaz

Can't decide which $250 tier is best. I think I'd probably prefer PvE in this case. Co-Op TCG Raiding sounds great. Pro player sounds best but Raid Leader sounds even broken for PvE.

Dude, go with Pro Player. The only other one I might consider is Collector. The other's one are pointless, there will never be any PvE content that needs the bonuses from the other tiers to complete. It has to be designed to be beaten by anybody. The Pro Player is giving you 3 packs a week of whichever set you want. It keeps on giving and giving. I'm tempted by the collector one, but the price is just not right.

TommyT

Dude, go with Pro Player. The only other one I might consider is Collector. The other's one are pointless, there will never be any PvE content that needs the bonuses from the other tiers to complete. It has to be designed to be beaten by anybody. The Pro Player is giving you 3 packs a week of whichever set you want. It keeps on giving and giving. I'm tempted by the collector one, but the price is just not right.

Hmm? Where are you seeing that? Is that the bit about the "... one free draft tournament?"

The Dungeon Crawler tier originally caught my eye. However, I'd need to see if that means I can do things on my own so that I can do it as often as I like.

ultron87

Hmm? Where are you seeing that? Is that the bit about the "... one free draft tournament?"

Yeah, since you get to keep what you draft (which means opening three boosters and picking one card at a time as you pass them around the table) you're pretty much getting free cards each week.

The Pro Player Tier is tempting but if it turns out I don't actually like the game or don't get into to it that much having 1 free draft/week for life isn't actually that great of a deal.

Mugaaz

The Pro Player Tier is tempting but if it turns out I don't actually like the game or don't get into to it that much having 1 free draft/week for life isn't actually that great of a deal.

If it turns out you don't like the game, then all the tiers are bad, lol.

F!ReW!Re

So I have only some experience with playing Magic, Duel of the Planewalkers, but let me get this straight;

I would have to pay to get into tournaments once the full game is released????
(hence the 250$ tiers reward; 1 free draft tournament every week)

ultron87

So I have only some experience with playing Magic, Duel of the Planewalkers, but let me get this straight;

I would have to pay to get into tournaments once the full game is released????
(hence the 250$ tiers reward; 1 free draft tournament every week)

With a draft you get cards to keep whether you win or not, so you need to bring 3 booster packs along as part of the entry fee. Which in this game would be six bucks worth of boosters.

I assume that for constructed tournaments (where you bring all your own cards) there'd be no fee or a very small fee depending on the prizes.

F!ReW!Re

With a draft you get cards to keep whether you win or not, so you need to bring 3 booster packs along as part of the entry fee. Which in this game would be six bucks worth of boosters.

I assume that for constructed tournaments (where you bring all your own cards) there'd be no fee or a very small fee depending on the prizes.

Ok, thanks for the clarification!
Think I'll join either the 65 or 80$ tier...

Mugaaz

Drafts are 3 packs ($2x3) + $1 entry fee
You open a pack, pick a card, pass the rest to next player. They pick a card, repeat until no cards left. Open next pack, repeat. Then make a deck from the 45 cards you drafted + free land. Then play either single elimination, or swiss tournmanet. You keep the cards you pick, not the cards you open.

All of these will rewards packs. Typically 12 prize packs per pod (pod is 8 players). Either 8-4 split for 1st and 2nd, sometimes 4-3-2-2, sometimes 1 pack per win in swiss.

Sealed is usually 6 packs + entry fee, similar payout.

Constructed stuff is unknown, but you can expect $1-2 entry fee, and similar prize payout.

In TCG terms, tournament almost always means some entry fee event that rewards pack prizes. There usually are not tournaments with zero entry free / zero prizes unless its some special promotion or Holiday thing. Majority of players have zero interest in tournaments with no entry free or prizes.

Luigi87

I went in for the Knight tier, though as the others explained I do look at it like this:
If one was going in for Knight ($65) that's what you pay, but then you're gonna have to pay $2 per booster (and if you really invest into the game buy a lot, you could eventually go well over $250)

Meanwhile at $250, you are guaranteed three boosters a week + $1 entry fee.
Vs. the Knight tier, that pays for itself in half a year (26.5 weeks roughly).

ultron87

Taking Pro-Player is really just betting that you'll like the game for the long haul. As a sucker for card games and value I can't resist.

Eteric Rice

So equipment only works on your champion, aye? It's not for single cards?

Normal cards can be augmented?

So what about PVP? PVE cards don't work in PVP, I assume?

This is all a bit confusing. lol

Proven

Equipment works on your PvE character. It can't be used in PvP.

Certain cards have sockets. Those cards can be augmented by attaching one of a gem from a predefined set.

Right now there are about 350 PvE cards and 300 PvP cards (might be the other way around).

PvP cards can only be gained from booster packs. You can use PvP cards in any mode.

PvE cards can only be gained from playing in the PvE mode. They're only legal in PvE modes.

At some point in the future, there will be support for a format that allows you to use all your PvE stuff (leveled character, equipment, and PvE cards) against other players. However this won't be the norm but rather a casual no-holds-barred type of thing.

NeededSleep

Excited about the concept of this and its possibilities. Got my friend, my girlfriend interested enough to even back it. :D

Looking forward to dungeon crawling deck building.

Eteric Rice

Equipment works on your PvE character. It can't be used in PvP.

Certain cards have sockets. Those cards can be augmented by attaching one of a gem from a predefined set.

Right now there are about 350 PvE cards and 300 PvP cards (might be the other way around).

PvP cards can only be gained from booster packs. You can use PvP cards in any mode.

PvE cards can only be gained from playing in the PvE mode. They're only legal in PvE modes.

At some point in the future, there will be support for a format that allows you to use all your PvE stuff (leveled character, equipment, and PvE cards) against other players. However this won't be the norm but rather a casual no-holds-barred type of thing.

Okay, this sounds cool.

Another question. Can someone get pvp packs without paying? Like, just by playing the game I mean?

Not to say I won't buy any, I will. I'm just curious as to if I can play for them or not.

Doikor

Okay, this sounds cool.

Another question. Can someone get pvp packs without paying? Like, just by playing the game I mean?

Not to say I won't buy any, I will. I'm just curious as to if I can play for them or not.

Cards/boosters can be prizes for tournaments. Like they talked about giving 4 of each card in the game as a prize for winning the championship.

Yaari

In on Pro-Tier. Its quite alot of money but if there is one Tier that will really get you back your money, assuming you like the game, it is that one.

I didnt see myself paying weekly to enter a tournament anyway, so being able to do it for free once a week is perfect for me.

I did see myself buying boosters though, and by going Pro-Tier I have a nice number of those.

Now lets hope the game will be as good as it sounds. Looking forward to the next set of Stretch Goals.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm not sure how popular this game is on GAF overall, but it would be cool if we could do something like with Project Eternity. We would get to design a card that could be a GAF reference and whatnot. Still, I'm not sure how popular this would be on GAF and I've already pledged $250. ._.

Mugaaz

I find this far less risky than most other KS, these guys have done TCGs before and designed good draft formats before. Only real risk is the PvE game which is a total unknown. IMO that makes the Pro player tier more attractive, not less.

ultron87

I'm not sure how popular this game is on GAF overall, but it would be cool if we could do something like with Project Eternity. We would get to design a card that could be a GAF reference and whatnot. Still, I'm not sure how popular this would be on GAF and I've already pledged $250. ._.

That would be super cool, but I can't see us getting enough people interested. The Project Eternity inn barely made it and this is much less hyped.

StMeph

I don't think the dollar amount is as much of an issue -- I see many people doing Pro tiers, and if you include all GAFfers who've kicked in, I'm sure we'd be pretty close to one of the tiers that allow for original content input.

The problem is that the high tiers (> $1,000)aren't very good in terms of having lots of stuff to split up. It's just not economical to all buy in for one, and then split the other stuff up, because the high tiers are already less cost effective as buying multiples of lower tiers.

Shrennin

That would be super cool, but I can't see us getting enough people interested. The Project Eternity inn barely made it and this is much less hyped.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Obsidian is loved throughout this forum and I don't think Cryptozoic has near that pull. Like you said, the inn barely even got funded. I've actually only invested in two different Kickstarters (this and Project Eternity - apart from GAF). I do feel like this game could be as popular as games like LoL because it's bringing drastic new things to the table on a popular game.

I don't think the dollar amount is as much of an issue -- I see many people doing Pro tiers, and if you include all GAFfers who've kicked in, I'm sure we'd be pretty close to one of the tiers that allow for original content input.

The problem is that the high tiers (> $1,000)aren't very good in terms of having lots of stuff to split up. It's just not economical to all buy in for one, and then split the other stuff up, because the high tiers are already less cost effective as buying multiples of lower tiers.

That's true as well. I have heard that Cryptozoic is at least aware of the stack tiers compared to the higher tier values.

Luigi87

I can't say I've really played deep into any TCG (but always have been interested), but wow I am weirdly hyped for this.
Probably the fact that it is digital and I'll have people to play with helps.

Shrennin

I can't say I've really played deep into any TCG (but always have been interested), but wow I am weirdly hyped for this.
Probably the fact that it is digital and I'll have people to play with helps.

Yeah, trading card games are really only fun if you have others to consistently play with. I have a fairly large card store that has weekly tournaments and is one of the bigger stores out there that made playing Magic so fun (my friends were also playing the game, at least too). With this game though, you only need an internet connection and you got many, many people to consistently play with at all hours of the day and night.

ultron87

Yeah, trading card games are really only fun if you have others to consistently play with. I have a fairly large card store that has weekly tournaments and is one of the bigger stores out there that made playing Magic so fun (my friends were also playing the game, at least too). With this game though, you only need an internet connection and you got many, many people to consistently play with at all hours of the day and night.

Yep, the constant ability to find opponent's always drew me to Magic Online but the prospect of rebuying cards I already own in paper for approximately the same cost (though usually somewhat less on MTGO) really drove me away.

This is a new game so there will be no paper vs digital redundancy and it seems like they are costing it at a much more reasonable level. So I'm pretty excited.

Proven

I've been reading around other forums, and the consensus (until we see the twitch stream tomorrow to be sure) is that the game is essentially Magic 2 or Magic++. I think the comparison to LoL could be apt if this game really gets off the ground. Its main form of competition at this point come from SolForge and Hearthstone.

My only worry right now is that there are fundamental reasons why I don't like Magic, and I still wish they had decided to go with a Vs. System/WoWTCG type system. Or even combine a few systems together like what Hearthstone feels like it did to me.

Okay, this sounds cool.

Cards/boosters can be prizes for tournaments. Like they talked about giving 4 of each card in the game as a prize for winning the championship.

In addition to that, I think you can also buy boosters with in-game gold. How much in-game gold it takes, how fast you can earn in-game gold, and whether or not I'm correct about anything in this paragraph is still left up in the air. Although someone with a forum account could probably ask and get an answer.

ultron87

I've been reading around other forums, and the consensus (until we see the twitch stream tomorrow to be sure) is that the game is essentially Magic 2 or Magic++. I think the comparison to LoL could be apt if this game really gets off the ground. Its main form of competition at this point come from SolForge and Hearthstone.

My only worry right now is that there are fundamental reasons why I don't like Magic, and I still wish they had decided to go with a Vs. System/WoWTCG type system. Or even combine a few systems together like what Hearthstone feels like it did to me.

For me the thing that makes this more interesting to me than Solforge and Hearthstone is that it has the potential to be way more complex. The ability to act on your opponent's turn and to respond to actions alone adds so much to the gameplay.

Shrennin

For me the thing that makes this more interesting to me than Solforge and Hearthstone is that it has the potential to be way more complex. The ability to act on your opponent's turn and to respond to actions alone adds so much to the gameplay.

Yep - I was excited for SolForge, but even during the Kickstarter I kept thinking how simple it was. TCG games are really fun if they are easy to pick up and learn, but really hard to master because there are so many things you can do. One of the things that I am concerned with in regards to this game is on the PVE side - the AI. I honestly just wish Richard Garfield would jump ship and join this game and make it the definitive "Magic 2.0" haha

Wizards will never really create a Magic game that takes full advantage of the digital space because it would undermine the paper card game (their bread and butter).

Sidestepping the fact that this game / TCG-MMO hybrid concept is phenomenal, the estimated delivery date is equally exciting. When you also factor in the incredible Kickstarter rewards....that are genuinely rewarding, seems like a no brainer.

Fingers crossed this turns out to be as good as it sounds. So far it outshines all of the other major Kickstarters, on the concept alone. Now we wait for the execution.

Shrennin

Well, all the current stretch goals have been met. Get to see new ones today!

We were going to see them regardless if we met the stretch goals or not, but I'm really glad they were met before the next ones are officially revealed. I guess they are going to reveal 6 more and then the last three (the two other uncommons and the one rare/legendary) will be revealed after those 6 are met.

Also, there's around $12,000 pledged/given on PayPal too so technically that goes toward the Kickstarter amount as well.

Shrennin

I want that $250 pro-player tier, but I haven't got the money T__T

The Pro-Player Tier is really tempting, but I'm actually at the Collector Tier right now - I'm probably going to do the subscription thing and get the three boosters per week for $4 a month (I already have 3 months of it thanks to the newest stretch goal) so $1 extra dollar for whenever I want to play a draft tournament isn't too bad a trade off for me in exchange for the 6 alternate art PVP cards that I will get for the life of the game.

Eteric Rice

Can you do the subscription thing AFTER the kickstarter is up? Because I'd be down for subbing for $4.

What also has me excited is guilds. Getting my friends together so we can pool cards and wreck faces is goddamn genius.

In addition to that, I think you can also buy boosters with in-game gold. How much in-game gold it takes, how fast you can earn in-game gold, and whether or not I'm correct about anything in this paragraph is still left up in the air. Although someone with a forum account could probably ask and get an answer.

This is what I'm hoping for.

Anyone know what the specs for this will be? I'm running a really old PC now. 2 gigs of RAM, 7900 GT, 3700 AMD processor. THAT old.

Top Bottom