• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

kami_sama

The Pro-Player Tier is really tempting, but I'm actually at the Collector Tier right now - I'm probably going to do the subscription thing and get the three boosters per week for $4 a month (I already have 3 months of it thanks to the newest stretch goal) so $1 extra dollar for whenever I want to play a draft tournament isn't too bad a trade off for me in exchange for the 6 alternate art PVP cards that I will get for the life of the game.
I think the subscription is one booster per week for $4 a month. 50% off the normal price.

Proven

For me the thing that makes this more interesting to me than Solforge and Hearthstone is that it has the potential to be way more complex. The ability to act on your opponent's turn and to respond to actions alone adds so much to the gameplay.

Eh, my problem with Magic is one part the mana system, and one part creature value. I'll skip the mana system thing as it's the same tired old arguments and can be seen as a tradeoff. My issue with the creature system is in two halves.

First, combat isn't tactical. It's strategic, and there's bluffing, but there are no real tactics because you only target the player. Just like in my video games I like it when there's more to combat, and this was the main reason why I fell in love with VS. System.

Second, creatures are too easy to kill. You would think that given the speed of spells it would be Creature > Sorcery/Artifact > Instant. And that's mostly how it is when it comes to dealing damage or running your deck. But when it comes to the power levels of cards it ends up being Instant > Sorcery/Artifact > Creature, because Instants are the primary way to respond to your opponent's actions. And in Magic strong creature removal is standard, rather than combat pumps.

Combined with the variance caused by the mana system, this means any creature above a cost of 3 or 4 is terrible unless it cheats it's way in. This means there's a cap on how much mana is useful unless you get a lot of draw power and gather multiple spells in hand during the later turns. The crazy amount of monster removal is one of the reasons I got so sick of Yugioh as a kid over a decade ago.

I mean, look at these two cards:

KingGabriel_Gear_Web.png

Ozawa_Gear_Web.png

In Vs. System, these would be the capstone of your deck. Your pride and joy. And the game would close out with a clash of your titan against your opponent's, with plot twists and other effects to interact and counter each other.

In Magic, these cards wouldn't see competitive play outside of draft. Of course, I don't play Magic regularly, so I'd like to be proven wrong.

During this post, I noticed that the site has updated before the Kickstarter today: http://hextcg.com/enter-the-arena/

Eteric Rice

In Vs. System, these would be the capstone of your deck. Your pride and joy. And the game would close out with a clash of your titan against your opponent's, with plot twists and other effects to interact and counter each other.

I agree with you here. It's kind of why I loved Yu-Gi-Oh. The clash between your biggest beasts was pretty cool. You should bring this point up on their forum.

I hope they jack a few ideas from Yu-Gi-Oh as well. As flawed a game it was, it was fun as hell. Would be cool to see fusions and ritual monsters in Hex.

Mugaaz

The Pro-Player Tier is really tempting, but I'm actually at the Collector Tier right now - I'm probably going to do the subscription thing and get the three boosters per week for $4 a month (I already have 3 months of it thanks to the newest stretch goal) so $1 extra dollar for whenever I want to play a draft tournament isn't too bad a trade off for me in exchange for the 6 alternate art PVP cards that I will get for the life of the game.

I think the collector tier is the only other $250 worth a damn, but its still underperforms. You are getting $364 a year from free drafts, the 6 alt art cards are unlikely to be worth that much. Also, you're not getting anything unique right now for it, so it doesn't pay off until way later. I'm still tempted, because I am a collector at heart, it's just not equal value though.

ultron87

* a bunch of stuff *

In Magic recently they've actually swung the balance a lot of the way to creatures being the finisher of your deck in recent sets. Instant speed removal has gotten generally worse (it is usually either conditional or harder to cast) and the creatures that get played these days are either so good that they are played even if they might get killed immediately, are hard to kill or impossible to kill with removal, or provide value the instant you play them. And sometimes you can't even counter them.

Creature removal and instants are still certainly good, but creatures are pretty great too these days.

So combat can still be a huge part of these games, but it just depends on what cards they print. If they have Doom Blade, Swords to Plowshares and Lightning Bolt equivalents running around it might be tough for creatures to fit into competitive decks, but I'd guess they are smarter than that.

Proven

In Magic recently they've actually swung the balance a lot of the way to creatures being the finisher of your deck in recent sets. Instant speed removal has gotten generally worse (it is usually either conditional or harder to cast) and the creatures that get played these days are either so good that they are played even if they might get killed immediately, are hard to kill or impossible to kill with removal, or provide value the instant you play them. And sometimes you can't even counter them.

Creature removal and instants are still certainly good, but creatures are pretty great too these days.

So combat can still be a huge part of these games, but it just depends on what cards they print. If they have Doom Blade, Swords to Plowshares and Lightning Bolt equivalents running around it might be tough for creatures to fit into competitive decks, but I'd guess they are smarter than that.
Thanks for showing me those. Here's hoping.

Proven

So, new update is out here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/482859

The update contains an interview with the president on a podcast, and he talks about a lot of the thoughts and events that led up to this kickstarter happening.

I saw this linked on the Hex forums; it's a 20-minute video interview with Hex's lead designer Ben Stoll. Pretty interesting, and he spoils a few cards I hadn't heard of before like General's Tent and Tectonic Break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPEve_kzM9k

As for this interview, it confirms that they went with the Magic style of combat and resource systems for the same reasons Mark Rosewater goes on about; it creates variance and therefore more excitement in the average game. If you can say Magic is as it is now because for better or worse it captures the attention of the most amount of people, then that's what they'll go with. Still, it's definitely worth a listen just to hear more about how far they're taking the opportunities provided by designing a digital card game.

I also forgot to mention in my last post that they've clearly acknowledged in their design space that they need to give a player something when they're mana flooded, which is what the champion charge system is for. We still have to wait and see if there's anything for being mana screwed.

Lombax

Banned
have they said yet how we will know the difference between a PvE card and a PvP? I see no mention of it on the card overview page.

Luigi87

have they said yet how we will know the difference between a PvE card and a PvP? I see no mention of it on the card overview page.

There is likely a system in game that sorts the PvP cards separate from PvE-only cards. All cards can be used in PvE of course.

Edit: Or what was stated below! lol

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I think the subscription is one booster per week for $4 a month. 50% off the normal price.

Yeah, you're right. I was confused with the free draft tier of the pro-tier. Three packs a week for $4 a month would be crazy.

dailypledges.png

Incredibly impressive performance(disregard the last day).

Edit: Today seems to be their best day yet, disregard what I said about disregarding the last day :p

First, combat isn't tactical. It's strategic, and there's bluffing, but there are no real tactics because you only target the player. Just like in my video games I like it when there's more to combat, and this was the main reason why I fell in love with VS. System.

Oh yes. I have fond memories of sitting for literally minutes at a time during my attack step with Teen Titans, perfecting my play. Combat in VS was fucking intense.

Are any Hex designers associated with VS? I know WoW and VS were produced by the same company.

ultron87

I'm really exited about this game, cant wait for the beta.

The Pro tier is the best one in the all 250$ set?
Yeah, it you are playing the game it pretty much gives you seven dollars every week. The other ones have some cool stuff, but Pro Player can pay for itself multiple times over the games lifetime.

Yeah, it you are playing the game it pretty much gives you seven dollars every week. The other ones have some cool stuff, but Pro Player can pay for itself multiple times over the games lifetime.

Yeah, the pro tier is the best of the $250 tiers but it will take a lot longer to pay off than most people think. Packs for the first set will probably be sold for close to $1 at the start since kickstarter backers will have an excess of packs but no in game currency for the entry fee in the limited events. Future pack prices will probably settle around $1.50 on the secondary market going by how packs settle around 3 tickets on magic online for the most recent expension/core set. The Pro tier is a great value if you have confidence that the game will grow in popularity and release net sets regularly.

If the number of backers continues to increase, I'll go in on the pro tier or grand king. I've played magic online for years, but I've gotten tired of the lack of features in the program and how clunky the present and future clients are. PVE looks especially promising since I used to love playing the Shandalar MTG game back in the day.

Beepos

Very interesting concept. I do like a TCG that has PvE; reminds me of BattleForge minus the RTS element.

The fear would be if the community drops off or never builds enough, though I'm eyeing off that King Tier pretty carefully at the moment.

Shinjica

Very interesting concept. I do like a TCG that has PvE; reminds me of BattleForge minus the RTS element.

The fear would be if the community drops off or never builds enough, though I'm eyeing off that King Tier pretty carefully at the moment.

You can have this fear for every new game the came out. Take a low tier so if the community will drop off, you'll not lose much money.

Proven

Oh yes. I have fond memories of sitting for literally minutes at a time during my attack step with Teen Titans, perfecting my play. Combat in VS was fucking intense.

Are any Hex designers associated with VS? I know WoW and VS were produced by the same company.

Well, yes and no I'd have to go around Wikipedia to be sure. What I do know is what I heard in that podcast from the recent update; that while Upperdeck was still making VS. System, the current Crypto president got hired because of his idea for the WoW TCG, which then took the same resource mechanic from VS. System. Before WoW TCG separated from Upperdeck, he definitely would have absorbed something from his time there.

Ebris

Yeah, pro tier looks so good. I'm fairly new to MTG and I've been looking out for other TCGs as well, and Hex looks like something I'd definitely play. Don't know if I will back (at least just yet), but I will absolutely check it out when it releases.

Proven

New update is out: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/483980

They link the article about the dwarven drafting that Ryuukan already grabbed. They also link to the interview that Kuno brought to us yesterday, which has since been removed.

Another stretch goal has been reached, so they're planning on revealing new ones over the weekend.

Finally, in two hours there will be a stream at twitch.tv/hextcg. I won't be able to catch it, but they've eluded to wanting to show off how the game isn't just Magic++. Wait and see time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I havent looked at the cards too much really but I hope I'll be able to make a hand control/field control deck in the future :p

Rokal

Pro tier is down to less than 300 available if you were on the fence. Probably will be sold out in the next 48 hours.

having just quit magic a few months ago, I'm really tempted to get into this. I'm also really tempted to NOT get into this, due to just quitting magic a few months ago. I'm also a bit worried about putting too much money into something that isn't' guaranteed to go anywhere. But damn if this doesn't look really cool.

Luigi87

They will be combining the Paypal orders with the Kickstarter soon, so it is very possible the Pro-Player Tier will be gone once they do.

(If they go over, it doesn't matter, everyone who paid for that tier will get it)

Dang. Pro was at 250, hit refresh, down to 157!
Ah, 85 of them went to Paypal

Yaari

Only available on the Kickstarter page now. I can't believe how fast those went.

Next Stretch Goals:

Hey backers. William here. I've reconciled the PayPal orders and the limited tiers this afternoon and adjusted quantities. Since there are so few Pro Player tiers left, we've stopped taking orders for that tier on the PayPal site since it could easily sell out over the weekend and there's no way to make the total quantity between the two sites match up. So, the final 100 or so Pro Player tiers are available here.

I'll be updating tomorrow morning (Saturday) before noon PST with the new stretch goals (720K, 790K, and 860K) as well as the write-ups on the rewards. Sorry for the delay on those, but we were very focused on being able to deliver you the stream of HEX this afternoon. The tiers are super sweet so they'll absolutely be worth waiting for. Scout's honor. (I raised my right hand and everything)

Luigi87

Wow, pro-tier will be gone within a couple of hours (if even that, lol)
So glad I jumped on it.

Edit: Passed $700k!

Top Bottom