• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

Yaari

True.

Hope the next stretch goals will add feature in the game, istead of giving out new limited card.

Don't they all add features so far though? The cards are just an extra.

Its on 824k now. I am really blown away at the progress it is still making. I was expecting it to drop down significantly after Pro Player Tier sold out. But its still going strong.

They will probably put a crazy number on the final Stretch Goal.

Minsc

Gold Member
What's the estimated amount donated via paypal?

~$22,000 as of two days ago. So maybe around $25,000 now?

I think one of the reasons this is doing so well, besides just the nature of targeting TCG fans whom are accustomed to spending lots of money, is the tiers really give you a lot of stuff for what you are paying. A normal kickstarter offers you maybe a $30-50 game for a $15-25 pledge, while this one offers a 5x return on your money (or more), so backing at around $100 yields over $500 worth of goods, which feels like a great deal, even more so for the $250 pro tier that gave free drafts for life.

Edit: Paypal total was two days ago like mentioned below, not one, oops.

~$22,000 as of two days ago. So maybe around $25,000 now?

I think one of the reasons this is doing so well, besides just the nature of targeting TCG fans whom are accustomed to spending lots of money, is the tiers really give you a lot of stuff for what you are paying. A normal kickstarter offers you maybe a $30-50 game for a $15-25 pledge, while this one offers a 5x return on your money (or more), so backing at around $100 yields over $500 worth of goods, which feels like a great deal, even more so for the $250 pro tier that gave free drafts for life.

Edit: Paypal total was two days ago like mentioned below, not one, oops.

I'd say around 30k. Between the 16th and the 17th their paypal totals went up by ~4k

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So they've almost reached all the announced goals again. Nice. Can't wait to see what the final goals are.

They will by tonight. New stretch goals should be announced today or definitely tomorrow, I reckon. With 18 days to go, I wonder if they will create more stretch goals if the current ones are all complete?

Proven

My only fear is if they'll neglect to do anything after the Kickstarter to keep up some amount of interest for the beta in September. That's the start of the holiday season for video game releases, and Magic is releasing a new set that month or the month after. In my perfect world they'd switch to updates at least once a week, a video at least once a month, and keep sending updates about stuff all the way until beta launch where everyone should be able to start playing and drafting immediately.

ultron87

Yeah, big flashing signs that say "LOOK AT ALL THIS VALUE" are irresistible to TCG fans.

Shrennin

My only fear is if they'll neglect to do anything after the Kickstarter to keep up some amount of interest for the beta in September. That's the start of the holiday season for video game releases, and Magic is releasing a new set that month or the month after. In my perfect world they'd switch to updates at least once a week, a video at least once a month, and keep sending updates about stuff all the way until beta launch where everyone should be able to start playing and drafting immediately.

And your perfect world sounds like a reasonable expectation to me. It's also not like updates hurt excitement toward the game - the twitch.tv stream boosted the KS dramatically. Get pro TCG players to play the game before beta as well. This game has so much momentum right now that it's Crypto's to keep or lose.

Shinjica

New Update #11

Hello! This is Cory... yes, Will is not updating today, he wanted to go to an event that rhymes with Tro Pour Dan Seigo. So, he couldn't be in the office on a Sunday, some nerve! Just kidding, Will has done an AMAZING job keeping the Kickstarter rolling and the information flowing. Well done Will!
But rather than have no update I thought I would take this time to chat with you about HEX, so let’s start with an important announcement...

HEX will not be finished at launch!

Now before you panic, let me explain what that means. When I first started outlining all the features I would want in HEX as a gamer, I really let my imagination go wild, I approached it with the thought, "what is the game I want to play?" I didn't hold back and in the end I walked away with a HUGE feature list and a great place to start crafting what HEX would become.

We have been in development for two years, and as we get close to the beta, I look at the game and I am blown away by what the team has accomplished. Each and every team member has contributed to what this game is and brought unique insight into the invention of HEX, making the ideas I had actually work and adding dozens of their own.

I love HEX and could not be more excited to launch the beta and get you playing, but if you were to ask me if the game will have every feature I wanted from that first wish list at launch? Not even close. The game will never be finished for me, and that’s what I meant by the game not being finished at launch. We have a huge list of features we will be adding to HEX in the future, and that’s on top of the features we have already talked about. With the amazing things we have already announced we're offering more than any competitor out there today!

So why am I rambling on about this? I wanted to make it clear that our stretch goals are just that, a stretch. We will be attempting to pull in some features and get them closer to launch, such as Primal Packs and the AI deck builder. This stuff was always in the plan, but much further out. And so, we are in the position of deciding what to promise you now to keep the excitement rolling, but not over commit and force ourselves to delay the launch. Because the absolute last thing I want to do is delay getting you into the game, the sooner you have a chance to actually play HEX, the sooner you will realize just how amazingly fun this game actually is.

HEX will always be growing!

When I worked at Blizzard I would often say that one of the many things that World of Warcraft did right was the aggressive and constant reinvestment into the game. If you look at WoW now and what WoW was when it launched, it is practically two different games. This is one of the secrets of its longevity and popularity. And in that spirit, here is my promise to you: we will never stop investing in HEX. Year after year, we will continue to add new features and polish the holy hell out the features we already have. Would you like a couple of examples? OK then, how about...

Leagues! Imagine an interface that allows you to custom craft your very own league. Pick and choose all the options of your league, what format, how long it will run, who can play in it, what the prizes will be. This simple and intuitive tool will allow you completely customize the league.

Raid Lords! Imagine you get to act as the raid boss against other players and earn a raid boss ranking. And, as your raid boss ranking grows, the loot tables that you reward the player with (if they somehow manage to defeat you, bwa ha ha!) get bigger and better. If you are in high demand as a Raid Lord you can set up invites to challenge you and CHARGE players platinum to battle and potentially defeat you. Yes you heard that right, you could earn in-game currency as a raid boss for hire!

Those are just a couple of the MANY features we want to add to the game down the line. And let me be clear: NONE of the remaining stretch goals are the two features I just described to you (sorry!), they are just examples of the great stuff that will keep HEX going as a creative and fun hobby for years to come.

Multiple Level Donations

I want to address one of the more unexpected outcomes of the Kickstarter: multiple level donations. Let me start by saying it was never my intent when crafting the levels that any one consumer would get multiple levels. As a matter of fact, you can see I tried to make it a nice gentle curve that exponentially rewarded your generosity. But, we have said we will merge multiple donations into one account, and so we will, but within limits.

So let’s get this set in stone: each account can merge 4 separate donation tiers (that’s 4 total, which includes PayPal and Kickstarter combined). This merge will combine all the rewards, including product (starters, packs, cards, etc) and bonuses (additional experience, additional loot drops, etc).

Here is the list of things that DONT stack, meaning your account will only have one.

- Sleeves

(you get one set of each you have qualified for, this is all an account would need)

- Mercenaries

(you get one of each you have qualified for, this is all an account would need)

- Credits in the game (your name in the credits)

- +1 card in opening hand (Raid Leader)

- Raid Leader exclusive PVE card

(this card is functionally different and will not be tradable)

- +100% Extra loot drop

- +10% PVE experience for all members of the Guild

(maximum increase for any guild is capped at 10%)

- Entry into special promotional Kickstarter tournaments. Due to the high number of donations, we will be breaking this up into smaller groups and offering the same prize multiple times, and you will be given the specific group to participate in. Consider this a bonus and reward for your amazing generosity!

And because I am sure this will be the first set of questions:

- We will give you three VIP months per qualifying tier, so if you have 3 sets you will get 9 months

- You will get the 3 booster drafts per qualifying tier, so if you have 3 qualifying tiers you get 9 drafts

- You will get multiple copies of the "Dragon's Blood" starter deck

I want to apologize for not getting this information to you sooner, but the good news is you haven’t been charged yet, so there time to change your contribution. If this creates a problem with PayPal we will work with you resolve this issue. Our goal is to offer you the best value possible as an early adopter, but we also want to preserve the integrity of the game.

Blown Away!

Let me finish this by saying again how absolutely blown away I am by this Kickstarter. One of the most amazing things about the WOW TCG has been the dedicated and wonderful players that make up our community; we are truly blessed to have a super fun and positive group of people playing the game. And it seems we have gotten incredibly lucky again, as I read the forums and messages on the Kickstarter I am struck by how supportive, excited and friendly you all are.

The backbone of a TCG is the group that gathers to play it and if they have a great attitude the game cannot help but be a success. So by all measures we should have a HUGE success on our hands and that’s completely thanks to you.

I should give an extra special shout out thanks to the supporters that have taken on the role of front line evangelists spreading the word about HEX... HOLY HELL, you guys have blown the roof off the place!

Seriously, thank you so much.

love, Cory

Yaari

That sounds good. I'm not sure I like all of the things he names, but creativity is a good thing and he sure does not seem to lack any of that.

As to if things will go really quiet after this ends, who knows. He seems like a good person, but you can never know for sure.

I've been trying more TCG games in anticipation for this and I really enjoy Solforge on my iPad. But that really lacks features right now.

Proven

The next stretch goal will probably be ~930k. Doesn't look like we'll reach there before the next update tomorrow, even with the Paypal donations.

Yaari

It says Grand King and above get 50 packs of set 2. I wonder if thats 50 packs when it comes out, or do they get them early as some exclusive or something.

Thats 60$ worth. I guess some will be convinced to upgrade now.

Fou-Lu

Hadn't really paid attention to this game, but as a big fan of TCG I have to say I'm pretty excited after looking it over. I feel like the MMO part could potentially get in the way of the TCG part though. But if you had a bunch of friends playing raids would probably be super fun.

Mugaaz

It says Grand King and above get 50 packs of set 2. I wonder if thats 50 packs when it comes out, or do they get them early as some exclusive or something.

Thats 60$ worth. I guess some will be convinced to upgrade now.

That's $100 worth, and there is NO reason why they would get them early, since even if they did it wouldn't be allowed in PvP because it would insanely unfair and insanely stupid.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/486382

KS_STRETCH_GOALS1Mil.jpg

Paypal is at $48,601.37

NIN90

Fuck it. Went in on that $85 tier. Most I ever spent on a Kickstarter. I usually only go for the preorder tier.

They just know how to get me with them boosters.

Orayn

Reading up on the competitive aspects now, and it's really making me want to back this at a relatively high level. I love me some digital-paper #ESPORTS, and it sounds like these guys have a good handle on limited formats.

I also love the idea of getting into a competitive community early so I can be there as it develops.

Mugaaz

Reading up on the competitive aspects now, and it's really making me want to back this at a relatively high level. I love me some digital-paper #ESPORTS, and it sounds like these guys have a good handle on limited formats.

I also love the idea of getting into a competitive community early so I can be there as it develops.

I have not played WOW limited, but I have heard from multiple sources that it was quite good.

Shinjica

The new feature "keep defence" will be really fun.

Use your PVP card to protect your fort, gaining something for winning defense or offense will greatly improve the game. Cant wait for the beta.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I backed via Paypal, if I add something on top of my pledge now, will it upgrade me accordingly?

TommyT

Went away for the weekend and the Pro Tier is sold out. Too bad. Anyone know, or can link me to where it might talk about it, if you can dungeon crawl solo? I like the 100% rates for boss kills and whatnot, but only if that can happen without a party.

Shinjica

Went away for the weekend and the Pro Tier is sold out. Too bad. Anyone know, or can link me to where it might talk about it, if you can dungeon crawl solo? I like the 100% rates for boss kills and whatnot, but only if that can happen without a party.

I think the Dungeon can be done alone, the raid istead need a party of 2-3 people. Maybe ask this question in the official forum.

Shrennin

I think the Dungeon can be done alone, the raid istead need a party of 2-3 people. Maybe ask this question in the official forum.

I think you can do the raid by yourself as well but it's a nigh impossible quest.

Also, we've hit the second of the three uncommon stretch goals. This thing doesn't let up steam. I think people will look to this KS as a template in which to do Kickstarters.

I was kind of bummed that Pro Player was sold out but just randomly checked and one was available...I'm guessing someone jumped up to Grand King. This looks promising; hopefully it ends up being good.

Proven

It happened after GAF went down thanks to the Microsoft update, but I'll do a quick post:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/487442

New update lays out that we've done two out of the three stretch goals before the last card. The Lore guys added some stuff to the Races section of hextcg.com, about stuff such as the Shroomkin and the Void Society.

Finally, they have an update on the site talking about guilds, with two new card previews. One of them is the General's Tent, which sounds really, really strong. The other is Mind Games, which also sounds really strong. Going against it, you should almost always pick 10...

Shrennin

..And Grand King is GONE

Also, including Paypal, we may have just reached the final uncommon stretch goal.

Proven

Huh, maybe they planned for this. Momentum might drop now, meaning that the Legendary stretch goal may actually take more than a day to reach...

Shrennin

Huh, maybe they planned for this. Momentum might drop now, meaning that the Legendary stretch goal may actually take more than a day to reach...

Yeah, although what would be really smart is if the Legendary stretch goal made the ones that are not selling out look more and more valuable (buff the other $250 tiers) which could keep momentum up and the Legendary stretch goal could then be high enough to last for the majority of the rest of the KS. Also, add-ons. The Legendary tier might introduce add-ons.

That would be Batman type planning though.

Today is their best day yet, there's no stopping this train*.

Hey PayPal backers. ** receipt printer sounds** Your total comes to $67,532.10. Hooray! And that means we've beat a few stretch goals!

THIS IS INSANE!

*not sure if this is gramatically correct, probably not.

Shrennin

Today is their best day yet, there's no stopping this train*.

THIS IS INSANE!

*not sure if this is gramatically correct, probably not.

That officially confirms it: Legendary Kickstarter reveal tomorrow.

Also, this interview with Cory confirms that we could see an official release by the end of this year (and it apparently definitely won't take 6 months after Beta if it doesn't release by the end of this year):

http://castroller.com/podcasts/TheInstanceWorld/3567768

Yaari

Very excited for that last reveal. But it could take a while. The big numbers arent interesting anymore. I hope the Legendary is going to meet the expectations.

Top Bottom