• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

Ryuukan

Please excuse my ignorance because the last time i played magic was in middle school but what exactly is Magic not doing that this is?

Making a MMOTCG accessible to tablets and PCs which is built with a UI not from the 90s version of hell.

Also taking advantage of the digital environment, something magic can never do due to the paper game. Effects that persist beyond "in-play", creating temporary cards on the fly in game, true random effects (orson's dream promo).

ultron87

Also pricing things at a more reasonable level for a digital environment instead of remaining in lockstep with a paper game.

Also taking advantage of the digital environment, something magic can never do due to the paper game. Effects that persist beyond "in-play", creating temporary cards on the fly in game, true random effects (orson's dream promo).

I thought the online version of magic did this stuff? am i mistaken?

e; ^^ this is also a pretty great thing.

ultron87

I thought the online version of magic did this stuff? am i mistaken?

e; ^^ this is also a pretty great thing.

Magic Online can do some stuff better and quicker than in the paper game, but it doesn't use any effects that simply can't be done on a card. There aren't any cards that exist in Magic Online that aren't in the paper game.

In Hex, just as an example, if you give a card +1/+1 (which in Magic needs to be represented by physical counters) it can be a permanent effect for the rest of the game whether it goes to your graveyard, ends up in your hand, or gets shuffled into your library.

Shinjica

Update #16

Hey there HEXers. We have less than two weeks to go and I've recruited Chris Woods to take you through a tour of Kraken's Lair. It's kinda like the Jaws ride at Universal Studios, but not old or stupid. It's new and engaging! And it has preview cards. Hooray! If you've been asking how the PVE experience will work, then Chris's article is for you.

PayPal Update

Our PayPal is currently at $75.444.64. Getting closer to that Tablet Support reward tier! Speaking of rewards....

Plus One

Question: The 660K tier reward gave us +1 to PVE cards. Can that include PVP cards as well?

That makes sense. Yes, enjoy!

Question: Can the +1 Reward at the 660K tier apply to The Collector Tier yearly exclusive alternate art PVP cards?

That makes sense. Yes, enjoy!

So, the 660K +1 tier reward now also includes Kickstarter exclusive PVP rewards and the Collector yearly alternate art PVP cards. I'll update the respective tier images soon to reflect that, as well add both the Dragon's Blood starter deck and the Cardboard Tube Samurai to the Champion tier list which are currently missing.

Twitch.tv

Don't forget that our next stream is on Monday, June 3rd at 5 PM PST. While you're waiting, you can subscribe here: http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg

Today's update is short and sweet. Tomorrow we'll show you some of the original concept for a race, as well as show you the different artist takes on that concept art that you'll be seeing in HEX.

Until then, please remember to keep sharing this campaign so that the HEX community keeps growing. You've been doing such an incredible job so far and thank you for that. We have less than two weeks to go, so keep that momentum going. Please Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter, subscribe on YouTube, and register on our forums.

Izayoi

Banned
Nice. Now we need to see some PVE video
Yeah, really hoping to see a few of those crazy looking cards in action. So much possibility with two separate sets, they can do ridiculous stuff in PvE, as is already evident by some of the cards. I'm excited to get a glimpse.

IllumiNate

Why is it this game has so much more funding then SolForge ever got? Do people have more faith in these guys to create a compelling game? I backed Solforge and now kind of interested to see what this game has to offer. Anyone else here backed both games?

ultron87

Why is it this game has so much more funding then SolForge ever got? Do people have more faith in these guys to create a compelling game? I backed Solforge and now kind of interested to see what this game has to offer. Anyone else here backed both games?
I backed both. This one definitely seems more interesting to me since you can act on opponent's turns, actually keep your hand on over multiple turns and isn't restricted by placing your guys in lanes.

Proven

I backed both as well. I put around the minimum in both to get beta access, with SolForge only needing $5, and Hex needing $10. I ended up going up to $20 for the Squire Tier in Hex because of the value, because SolForge was one of the first kickstarters I backed and I wasn't all that trusting of anyone on the site, and because these guys look like they'll actually release enough this year, rather than the paltry beta that SolForge delivered.

And SolForge has been bugging me more for it's slowness than for it's system. I think I'd actually prefer SolForge in the long run because Hex looks to have mana screw. But right now there are fewer cards in SolForge, I've had to sit with two crappy starter decks for over a year, when they added more cards to their beta (in the form of good starter decks) they told me to buy them or ignore them, I still can't play against other people, and it isn't much of a beta but instead a demo they've sat me with for about a year. There's even an entire card type they mention on their site that hasn't been implemented yet (beyond monsters and spells, they have a location type card).

SolForge will probably have more than enough depth for me when it finally releases. Interaction to me doesn't just mean being able to act on your opponent's turn. It's about causing interesting decisions to be made between you and your opponent. It's about casing a need for prediction and planning. Even Sirlin is finally releasing this. I mean, would you call Chess a low interaction game? SolForge at it's best is a lot like that to me.

Currently though, Hex and Hearthstone both look like they could beat it to final release. And while interested in all three I know I'm only going to pick one in the end, or maybe two as Hex seems the least tablet friendly currently.

Edit: The random article Sirlin wrote recently that I randomly mentioned: http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2013/5/7/asynchronous-games-and-codex.html

Minsc

Gold Member
I backed both. This one definitely seems more interesting to me since you can act on opponent's turns, actually keep your hand on over multiple turns and isn't restricted by placing your guys in lanes.

The lanes are handled really well in SolForge, they incorporate many creature abilities in to being or not being in adjacent lanes, and you're committed to that lane after you play a creature in it unless it has the move ability, so I actually feel having the lanes adds a lot more to the combat than just a simple free for all, where you can choose at will what to block and not block. The lanes definitely make the combat element more interesting, due to them limiting your choices.

Also I enjoy that the creature's toughness does not reset each turn. I was actually hoping since Hex was going to be all digital they would employ that as well, I think it balances out creatures much better.

The no acting on opponent's turn is a minus, but not a huge one, since I feel SolForge is meant to be a fast paced game, and it does keep a much faster, more interesting pace for me that way. Having two main phases adds a lot, I think without that it'd be pretty boring. But since you can attack and then play cards, it brings a lot more choices to when to play stuff.

I don't find the drawing a new hand every turn in SolForge to be better or worse, just in line with keeping the pace faster. A 1 card draw phase would definitely slow the game down. So I think it's a smart decision, and makes it feel pretty distinct along with all the other differences.

I like that SolForge feels like it's own game, and does it well. Hopefully Hex succeeds in being a MtG clone, it is definitely a more ambitious goal because of the potential competition if MtG:Online ever updates itself to be more like the DotP release, and all the additional action phases definitely makes it more challenging to code/program AI i think.

Izayoi

Banned
Well, went in for another Collector on top of my Grand King.

The additional Lotus Gardens were just too tempting. ;_;

Sblargh

Banned
I'm afraid it will become a money drain after launch. The worst thing about magic (or any TCG? I don't have enough experience) was to simply not have enough money to build your deck.
Sometimes you could trade away cards, you could be a little creative with less expensive cards, but there was always a point where it was like: "well, it would be awesome to have 4 of those cards and I simply can't".
Such a turn-off...

Sorry if it is an illegitiame rant for a game that isn't even open to beta yet.

Arveene

Neo Member
Well, went in for another Collector on top of my Grand King.

The additional Lotus Gardens were just too tempting. ;_;

If I could get a GK, I'd immediately drop even more money on this game. Lack of a reasonably priced way of getting free drafts for life is preventing me from spending anything at this moment.

Shinjica

I'm afraid it will become a money drain after launch. The worst thing about magic (or any TCG? I don't have enough experience) was to simply not have enough money to build your deck.
Sometimes you could trade away cards, you could be a little creative with less expensive cards, but there was always a point where it was like: "well, it would be awesome to have 4 of those cards and I simply can't".
Such a turn-off...

It will be a money drain, it's a TCG afterall and 99% of the people know this.

In HEX you can do PVE free

Card Boy

Banned
If i pay via Paypal do I receive all the stretch goal bonuses? I'm only going to 'donate' soon as tablet support milestone is reached.

IllumiNate

If I could get a GK, I'd immediately drop even more money on this game. Lack of a reasonably priced way of getting free drafts for life is preventing me from spending anything at this moment.

I'm in the same boat. I have yet to back, I'm hoping they add more GK or new tiers.
I'm sitting here reading and watching videos for this awesome game and I'm kind of upset that I backed Solforge for $120. I now feel as though it may have been a waste of money.
This is something that I've longed for, I am a competitive player who has played MTG for 15 years on and off. I got invited to Canadian nationals by placing in 3rd at my regionals event.
I have had long thoughts on where MTG has to go in the future if it is to survive. MTG currently relies on comic book stores and there MTGO network. The thing is that comic book stores are going the way of the dodo and soon only the big shops (Starcitygames) will survive.
If MTG wants to survive then they need to realize that TCG/CCG's are all going digital. MTGO in it's current state is a mess. MTGO version 4.0 has taken almost as long as Episode 3 to come out. Where 4.0 is now is not where the game should be going. If MTG does not push online as the forefront of there business strategy then I feel as though MTG will die within the next 3-5 years. With how long 4.0 has taken, I'm unsure of Wizards ability to create a compelling online interface to be able to remain relevant in the tcg space.
I'm a big fan of MTG and it's mechanics and I'm very excited to see that Hex is taking a lot of pages from Wizards book. I'm a little buzzed right now and I have a lot more rants about MTG and it's future, but for now I'll leave it at that.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm in the same boat. I have yet to back, I'm hoping they add more GK or new tiers.
I'm sitting here reading and watching videos for this awesome game and I'm kind of upset that I backed Solforge for $120. I now feel as though it may have been a waste of money.
This is something that I've longed for, I am a competitive player who has played MTG for 15 years on and off. I got invited to Canadian nationals by placing in 3rd at my regionals event.
I have had long thoughts on where MTG has to go in the future if it is to survive. MTG currently relies on comic book stores and there MTGO network. The thing is that comic book stores are going the way of the dodo and soon only the big shops (Starcitygames) will survive.
If MTG wants to survive then they need to realize that TCG/CCG's are all going digital. MTGO in it's current state is a mess. MTGO version 4.0 has taken almost as long as Episode 3 to come out. Where 4.0 is now is not where the game should be going. If MTG does not push online as the forefront of there business strategy then I feel as though MTG will die within the next 3-5 years. With how long 4.0 has taken, I'm unsure of Wizards ability to create a compelling online interface to be able to remain relevant in the tcg space.
I'm a big fan of MTG and it's mechanics and I'm very excited to see that Hex is taking a lot of pages from Wizards book. I'm a little buzzed right now and I have a lot more rants about MTG and it's future, but for now I'll leave it at that.

The lack of real cards to hold affect me something, but in general, I agree.

Uuurgh, I'm in a hell of not donating at all, going for 20 bucks or going for 250 at once so I can draft for free forever.

Oh wait, now I've got it, the "free draft" ones are gone. Dang.

Proven

You guys do realize that they added a perk to every $250 tier, right? Every $250 tier that's not the Pro Player tier now gets the "one free draft per week" perk, but limited to only one year instead of for life. One year is still a long time and a lot of free packs for a money sink...

Momentary

Banned
I want to do the Producer tier so bad. I remember starting Magic back in 1995. I played all the way up to 2003. I remember how much I hated not having 4 of every card ever made. I used to tell myself that if I ever became super wealthy that I would do it.

Well, I'm not super wealthy so attacking the 4 of every MTG card thing is a little ridiculous. But, I'm well off, so ten grand for 4 of every card for life sounds like a deal. This game also looks to have a lot of staying power, so it looks like I would more than get my money's worth eventually.

Although, if my wife found out I spent $10,000 on a game, she would have some choice words with me. It took a lot of talking for her to accept the fact that I'm going to build an enthusiast PC when Maxwell launches; I don't see how she will accept this. I'm almost tempted to go with the ol' "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission" route.

Minsc

Gold Member
It will be a money drain, it's a TCG afterall and 99% of the people know this.

In HEX you can do PVE free

Yup, that's why the Pro tier and Grand King tiers are so popular. Getting that money drain aspect out of the game (more or less) is an unbeatable deal, and gives you an opportunity to save a ton of money in the long run.

I feel PVE will also be a pretty bad money drain despite being free (that or you'll need to invest 100s of hours to get through later dungeons where the better cards are), the only difference is I think the PVE will be quickly disregarded by mostly everyone since it'll just be empty games against a AI one after another where you click little spots on a static map to advance from one battle to the next (and more importantly the cards aren't good for normal PvP games).

Izayoi

Banned
Such a turn-off...

Well, the difference with Hex is that it's an MMO with an all-inclusive auction house and is promising lots of PvE content. What that means is that you'll be able to PvE and sell the stuff you earn in PvE on the auction house in order to purchase PvP cards and boosters.

Theoretically you won't have to spend a dime in order to stay current, it's more a matter of how much PvE you want to do in order to get the singles you need for PvP.

If i pay via Paypal do I receive all the stretch goal bonuses? I'm only going to 'donate' soon as tablet support milestone is reached.
Yup, all of the rewards are the same across both Kickstarter and Paypal.

Although, if my wife found out I spent $10,000 on a game, she would have some choice words with me. It took a lot of talking for her to accept the fact that I'm going to build an enthusiast PC when Maxwell launches; I don't see how she will accept this. I'm almost tempted to go with the ol' "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission" route.
If you're well enough off that you can drop ten grand on a game and feel good about it then your wife doesn't really have any room to complain.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.

I feel PVE will also be a pretty bad money drain despite being free (that or you'll need to invest 100s of hours to get through later dungeons where the better cards are), the only difference is I think the PVE will be quickly disregarded by mostly everyone since it'll just be empty games against a AI one after another where you click little spots on a static map to advance from one battle to the next (and more importantly the cards aren't good for normal PvP games).
I don't know about that. The PvE cards look really interesting, and I love everything they've revealed about it so far (choices and special conditions set up in each encounter during a dungeon). I don't mind PvE in card games at all, and there's nothing wrong with a point-and-click adventure. Not to mention cooperative raids, something that I've always been interested in for TCGs, but also something that has never really had any infrastructure as far as rulesets are concerned.

If they do it right I think that it has a lot of potential to get people hooked, and they'll want to do it right, as it's the element of the game that will get people interested in giving the PvP side of things a shot. This is an MMO, after all, and I do think that while there is heavy PvP draw to many MMOs, PvE is definitely a very important part of the experience.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I have a huge feeling that the last two days of this KS are gonna be insane. I feel like a lot of people want to donate, but are just waiting for GK or PP but once that option is exhausted, they will donate something right before it ends.

And I really feel like if they had created equally valuable lifetime bonuses to the other $250 tiers, this KS would be unstoppable. Imagine the Collector tier offering 30 or so alternate art of certain cards in each set for life or the Guild Leader tier offering 3 different codes for 5 packs per month (for a total of 15 packs) for life.

Izayoi

Banned
I have a huge feeling that the last two days of this KS are gonna be insane. I feel like a lot of people want to donate, but are just waiting for GK or PP but once that option is exhausted, they will donate something right before it ends.
If CZE were really smart they'd just open "late bird" tiers for PP/GK at a slightly higher price.

Arveene

Neo Member
If CZE were really smart they'd just open "late bird" tiers for PP/GK at a slightly higher price.

I'm hoping that happens. Still going to auto-refresh the page all day to try to pick one up. If it comes down to it, I'll start offering money to people to drop their GK. GK and Pro Tiers have a ton of value to them.

Arveene

Neo Member
I just missed a GK and I've literally been staring at my Chrome page auto refreshing for 2 hours. I have no idea how I was too slow to get it.

Cereal

I dont know. If i've to choice between GK and 1 PP and 1 Collectior/DK, i'll probably choise the 250$ x 2 so i will have 2 draft.

The only Drafts that stack are ones with the "For Life" perk (PP and GK). The other $250 tiers with "For a Year" free drafts don't stack with "For Life". The only way to get around that would be to maintain them on separate accounts instead of merging.

Izayoi

Banned
The only Drafts that stack are ones with the "For Life" perk (PP and GK). The other $250 tiers with "For a Year" free drafts don't stack with "For Life". The only way to get around that would be to maintain them on separate accounts instead of merging.
Yup. For what it's worth, that's what I'll be doing with my GK and Collector. I'll only really use the collector to play the drafts, and just transfer the alternate art cards every year to my main account.

Shinjica

Update #18

I really enjoyed the chance to talk to our community last Sunday, so I thought I would make it a Sunday thing for the Kickstarter.

I will say again, and I am sure you are sick of hearing this, but WOW!!! Thank you so much for the support. This has far exceeded my wildest dreams and gives me so much confidence for the future of HEX. As much as the money will help insure a smooth and polished gaming experience, the real HUGE win of this Kickstarter is the amazing community we are starting with, having this many hardcore gamers on day one is going to be incredible.

You can’t please everyone all the time

It’s true, you can’t please everyone all the time, and the more people you try to make happy, the more likely you are to fail… but seriously, I really really want to. Maybe it’s just in my nature as a people pleaser but every time I see one of you posting that X, Y, or Z is a punch to the nuts, it kills me.

Let me assure you every decision we have made was done with good intentions. The absolute last thing we want to do is disenfranchise our most loyal supporters. That instinct is probably why the reward tiers and stretch goals are so generous, the more you gave the more I felt like we needed to give back, and I couldn’t be happier to do it.

I hope that, in the end, everyone really feels like they got a great package of rewards for the generous support they have given HEX. Remember, we are a small hobby gaming company with a handful of hyper-dedicated people making this game, not a huge corporation with number crunching and churn ratios guiding our design and reward principles.

As a matter of fact, we usually start off with a conversation … a little something like this …

Scene: R&D room, early-ish. Most people are still half asleep from working well into the wee hours the night before.

(Cory comes into the room; he is finishing a call on the HEX phone)

Cory J:

Hey, seems like a bunch of people would love a chance to have a HEX t-shirt! I know I want one, maybe we could make it one of those add-on deals that Kickstarter offers, that might be cool!

Will B:

Ya sure might be cool. But seriously, make it a high quality shirt, not the usual garbage quality game shirt.

Cory J:

Come on, you know I have a fetish for quality. We’ll use the Gildan blanks, those are great!

Will B:

No, those are crap.Use American Apparel.

Ben S:

Will is right, those are crap. Use American Apparel.

Cory J:

Fine, I like Gildan, but we can use American Apparel. I’m most excited about having Larry put some simple single color designs together, just using the Ardent or Underworld logo, and maybe one with the HEX logo. Hey, you know what might be cool? What if we gave you a special exclusive PVE promo card with each shirt, something wacky and not all that powerful, just fun. I think people would love that!

Chris W:

I don’t like it. I think it sets a bad precedent. We have told people we will only be selling boosters and starters, and this feels like we are selling them a card.

Cory J:

Hmm, I see your point, but I really just want it to be this cool fun add-on prize for having bought a shirt. Also, Kickstarter is the vehicle and we are taking pledges and giving exclusives, so it feels a bit different and maybe it’s OK.

Chris W:

Maybe, but I am not sure people will see it that way. I reserve my right to believe in the inherent cynicism of people on the internet.

Cory J:

Noted. How about this, we run a POLL and let them decide if they want the shirts alone, or with the free exclusive PVE promo card? That way, our Kickstarter supporters get to decide!

END SCENE

So that’s where we ended up, and I think it’s a great solution. Often my best intentions end up having unintended consequences, so let give this a try.

I think most people will be stoked to get the cool cards, but if you feel differently, please vote that way, and in the end we will live by the decision of the community. The one thing I can guarantee is the shirts will be high quality with simple very cool designs, something you would actually want to wear.

As to the cards, here is a sample of one and the rough art will go along with it.

Chest’O Hex

Artifact – 2

[1], [ACT]: Create a random card and put it into the Chest’O Hex.

[X], [ACT], Sacrifice this artifact: Remove the threshold from all cards in the Chest’O Hex and put them into your hand. (X is equal to the number of cards in the Chest’O Hex.)

(Rough Sketch of the card art is at the bottom of the post)

Here is the link to the POLL:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24133

That’s right, we are making some T-Shirts, and I want your input. See how I cleverly wove that in!

Well that’s it for the update. Things are going strong and the game is getting better and better every day. I know Will mentions it at the end of every post and you guys have done a fantastic job evangelizing, but I will also chime in. If you feel the inclination, please help spread the word. Even if it’s just taking a look and not jumping into the Kickstarter, the more people we tell about the game, the better and bigger our community can be.

As a heads up, we will not have an update tomorrow, Memorial Day. We hope you have a nice holiday and remember those that sacrificed so much for our benefit.

Thanks again,

Love, Cory

I dont like the idea to a digital card attached to a t-shirt.

Izayoi

Banned
I dont like the idea to a digital card attached to a t-shirt.
Same here. I voiced my opinion against the idea on the forums and the comment section on Kickstarter.

Seems that the card will not be included with the shirt, going by community reaction. People have been tossing around the idea of card sleeves instead, and I wouldn't have a problem with that option at all.

Shrennin

Same here. I voiced my opinion against the idea on the forums and the comment section on Kickstarter.

Seems that the card will not be included with the shirt, going by community reaction. People have been tossing around the idea of card sleeves instead, and I wouldn't have a problem with that option at all.

And Cory Jones said that he feels the card idea may have been a bad one too, based on community feedback. It definitely looks like a card won't be tied down to the shirt.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24138&p=225725&viewfull=1#post225725

Beepos

Do you think we will see a new stretch goal after 1.5m? With Paypal at 75k+ I think there could be one in the last 48 hours.

Shrennin

Do you think we will see a new stretch goal after 1.5m? With Paypal at 75k+ I think there could be one in the last 48 hours.

No. I don't foresee any new stretch goals. I think there will be add-ons (the t-shirt is already confirmed as one) but the stretch goals are most likely finished at 1.5m. I think Cory Jones really wants to release the game before this year is over and new stretch goals could delay that.

Argh, ProPlayer tier is pretty steep

It's also sold-out, which makes your decision easier! =P

Top Bottom