• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

ultron87

Final stretch goal is Tablet support for iPad and Android for 1.5 million. That'd be pretty awesome. Also some set 2 packs for all.
KS_STRETCH_GOALS17.jpg

Shinjica

Its for one year, not for life. Pro is still better, its just not night and day now.

i dont like that, i much prefered a boost in their respective tier.

For example the guild tier get 30 booster pack a month to give to the guild member.

Add to everyone draft is the wrong move to do

Luigi87

For example the guild tier get 30 booster pack a month to give to the guild member.

Yeah, at this it means that the Pro-Player Pack doesn't really get its tier bonus until year 2.

ultron87

It makes the most sense from a "raise more money" perspective to add what is clearly the most in-demand reward to other less popular rewards. Though it does seem a little unfair to the existing pro player holders since they don't get much of an immediate benefit compared to the other tiers. Maybe should throw Pro Players some extra Set 2 Boosters or something.

Izayoi

Banned
I have a question.

Do we know if cards will drop from dungeons? So far all I've heard is equipment dropping from dungeons, so I'm wondering if the Dungeon Crawler would be worth it over the Collector.

This is for a friend, and I backed at $500, so he'd be getting the other bonuses, and Dungeon Crawler would only work when he wasn't playing with me.

30 boosters are month would be worth way more than any of the other $250 tiers. $60 a month as opposed to the $28 a month in free drafts from Pro, which is already way better than any of the other ones. I see what you're saying though, and I agree.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Do we know if cards will drop from dungeons? So far all I've heard is equipment dropping from dungeons, so I'm wondering if the Dungeon Crawler would be worth it over the Collector.

PVE cards do drop from dungeons (PVE is essentially totally free to do and play as opposed to PVP which requires booster packs). You can even craft unique PVE cards via the crafting system. Note: PVE cards cannot be used in tournaments or competitive formats apart from the anything goes format.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Damn right I'm super hype. You have no idea how much I wish I had the money for the final tiers to help make a card. Ugh that would of been so fun.

i'd just remake shadowmage infiltrator and put myself on there posterizing a goblin

assuming they already remade my favorite card of all time: undermine

Beepos

I think I will have to go for King level. Even if the game falls apart in set 5 or whatever, a PvE element to a TCG would be amazing (Co-op with non serious competitive mates is a massive) The amount it has raised has made the choice to join the community even easier, especially for an aussie where hopefully a card game isn't ping dependent for MMO gameplay.

Are the pledge boosters all for set 1 - as in, if I have no plans to draft I should open them all at once?

Emitan

It's going to be hard to resist the temptation to open all of my packs. I've heard drafting is a really good way to learn a TCG so I'll keep all my packs for cheap drafting.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's going to be hard to resist the temptation to open all of my packs. I've heard drafting is a really good way to learn a TCG so I'll keep all my packs for cheap drafting.

Well just think of it in terms of game time, opening 6(?) packs takes about 2-3 minutes, a draft could be 2-3 hours. You'll get about the same number of cards on average out of it, just the drafting gives you the gameplay you're after most likely in addition to the cards.

From reading their site they even have Swiss drafts (every winner wins, continue playing even if you lose), along with competitive (top 2 players win) and more casual ones (top 4 players win).

F!ReW!Re

So a question from a TCG noob; how does drafting thing go in terms of variety?
I understand the opening and taking one card then passing it on to the neighbor stuff, but how does does work, deck wise. Like if I join one of those drafting tournaments, I get 40-45 cards (something like that) but what kind of deck would it be? Do I get to choose/lockdown a specific type of deck when I first draw a card, or is everyone playing the same type of deck? (for example everyone is playing a orc deck)

Ryuukan

I understand the opening and taking one card then passing it on to the neighbor stuff, but how does does work, deck wise. Like if I join one of those drafting tournaments, I get 40-45 cards (something like that) but what kind of deck would it be? Do I get to choose/lockdown a specific type of deck when I first draw a card, or is everyone playing the same type of deck? (for example everyone is playing a orc deck)

Your deck is what you pick. The boosters you open for draft as the same as any others for the set.

If a certain type of deck is very popular, say orcs, then you may want to take cards that are good against orcs or avoid orcs altogether, since you probably won't be passed many of them. There's also hatedrafting, or taking cards that will be useless to you, but good for someone else, but this obviously weakens your deck as well since you might be passing up something useful to you.

ultron87

Everyone is picking from the same pool of cards, so there literally won't be enough cards of a specific type for everyone to build a deck of that type. So, in an 8 man drafting group, there will generally be decks of every color. The kind of deck you end up in is determined by what you pick and what get passed. You can influence other people's deck choices in the same way.

A really important and hard skill for draft is reading signals based on the packs you're looking at so you can figure out what colors aren't being drafted. If you can figure out that no one else is taking blue cards you can start taking them and then get some really good cards that no one wants later on. Similarly, if you aren't getting blue cards you can figure out that you need to bail out of that color and start taking something else.

Shinjica

New update, still disappointed

Hey there, HEXers. I want to take today’s update to address some of the comments we’ve had coming in since yesterday’s update.

The Pro Player Tier

When we created these five tiers, we pictured each player as someone we’ve met in games we’ve all played—the Raid Leader organizing people to take up the greatest challenges, the Guild Leader who is out there recruiting people and creating a community of friends, the Collector who’s just gotta catch ‘em all to own one of everything, the Dungeon Crawler who’s building an armory of equipment for every dangerous scenario, and finally the Pro Player who’s usually wandering around the tournament floor, shuffling three booster packs yelling “DRAFT!” So, we made five tiers with those players in mind.

After the Kickstarter launch, it became clear that many players saw the Pro Player tier as the best tier, and in hindsight, we can see that it’s out of balance with the other four. What we’ve done here is try to bring the other tiers in-line with the Pro Player tier without diminishing the Pro Player tier at all. Nothing has been taken away from the Pro Player tier. In fact, Pro Players will have an easier time finding booster drafts and spend less time in queue because of the additional players coming in. After all, it is our goal with this campaign not just to secure funding to finish the game, but to also grow the community. We want to include as many HEX believers as possible through Kickstarter. We want Entrath to be full of players for you to both befriend and battle. This buff brings the other four tiers on more equal footing regarding how the community values the different tiers, as well as keeps the HEX community growing.

Raid Leader, Guild Master, Dungeon Crawler, Collector and the 1.5M Stretch Goal

That said, we’re going to commit to that buff now. Instead of being a reward for the 1.5M Stretch Goal which we're quickly approaching, we’re simply adding the 1 free draft per week (for 1 year) to Dungeon Crawler, Collector, Raid Leader, and Guild Master as of today.

Tonight, we'll update the Tier Reward images and have that added to reflect this buff.

Tablet support is huge as the world moves to light, low-cost mobile devices. Even if you don’t see it as a value you can access now, I assure you that it’s something you’ll want later. As a good friend in the industry is often quoted saying, “There are more android devices being activated in the world each day than babies born.” Every time you’re bored in a dentist office or stuck on a bus, you’ll be able to battle in HEX through your mobile device. The sooner we get that team up and running, the better both in getting HEX into your tablet now and being able to improve it for the future.

PayPal Update

We’re at $73,497.10, quickly approaching the six-figure mark! Way to go, PayPal backers!

PVE Content

We know a bunch of you out there are hungry for PVE content. In our Kickstarter launch video, you saw the 360 degrees Shin’hare jungle city. We’ve had some recent articles that revealed two dungeons. Kevin unveiled the first version of the Warrior talent tree, and Chris is writing an article that explains how the dungeon experience works from the player point-of-view. We do have plans to stream that content in the future when it’s more polished and close to what you’ll experience in the game. We do plan to roll out and stream PVE content just like you’ve seen us do with the PVP content, but that’s going to be further in the future. Thanks for your patience, adventurers!

Next Twitch Feed

Speaking of streaming, we’ll be hosting our next live Twitch feed on Monday, June 3rd at 5 PM PST. We’ll have some more decks and innovations to show you why HEX is a revolutionary product in the market place. Tell all your friends and have them subscribe here on Twitch.

Card Previews

Art intern Kyle Wlodyga writes about his experiences with the art process as a college intern and gives aspiring illustrators a glimpse into what companies need out of their freelance artists. You can read that here.

That’s all for today. Leave your comments below and please don’t forget to Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter, subscribe on YouTube, register for our forums, and keep sharing this HEX campaign. Thanks, HEXers!

Well that confirms that the Pro-Player Tier doesn't benefit at 1.5M aside from the Set 2 packs.

More to the point, nobody benefits outside of Set 2 packs at 1.5M: the year of free drafts is officially included in the other $250 tiers, regardless of how much they raise.

This whole affair has been their first mis-step in the whole campaign, but I don't really see any mass walkout happening.

Luigi87

More to the point, nobody benefits outside of Set 2 packs at 1.5M: the year of free drafts is officially included in the other $250 tiers, regardless of how much they raise.

This whole affair has been their first mis-step in the whole campaign, but I don't really see any mass walkout happening.
Ah, I misread and didn't notice that.

Yeah, I agree, but c'est la vie. Still really looking forward to September.

Izayoi

Banned
It doesn't really bother me either way, seeing as Grand King gets everything regardless, just kind of sucks for people who went Pro as they don't really seeing their benefit until year two.

Shrennin

Someone here in GAF has backed the guild or grand king tier? Will be fun to make a Neogaf guild.

I have backed the Grand King tier and I'm definitely up for a GAF guild (although I also hope they take a page from ANet's Playbook and allow multiple guilds).

sammich

Thats not correct is it? Isnt it just 30 packs x 3 once and thats it? Ive told quite a few of my friends about this. Hope they join. Im thinking of one of the 250 tiers but i have no clue what to pick.. :( It seems that the pro-player is the most cost effective tier?

Shrennin

Thats not correct is it? Isnt it just 30 packs x 3 once and thats it? Ive told quite a few of my friends about this. Hope they join. Im thinking of one of the 250 tiers but i have no clue what to pick.. :( It seems that the pro-player is the most cost effective tier?

Yeah, it's just 30 packs times 3 once - not every month. That would be insane. Although I think if they lowered that number a bit (say 10 packs every month for the life of the game) then that would have been a nice alternative than just giving one free year of a draft tournament). Shinjica has the right idea - for instance, Collector could be 60 alternate art PVP cards per set for life of the game (with a caveat, you shouldn't instantly get those cards, only when you get the original card in a booster then you have the option of choosing which art you would want for that single card and rinse and repeat).

However, with that latest buff to all the $250 tiers - all of them are very cost effective - Pro Player being the most cost effective in the long run.

Sblargh

Banned
Are people playing this already? I'm watching the video and trying to find how exactly this is not MT:G...

Edit: I understand it has a lot of features. But talking about the core card-playing game itself... it doesn't feel different from Magic. Or am I wrong?

Shrennin

Are people playing this already? I'm watching the video and trying to find how exactly this is not MT:G...

Edit: I understand it has a lot of features. But talking about the core card-playing game itself... it doesn't feel different from Magic. Or am I wrong?

You're not wrong - mechanically, it's very similar to Magic. I think that's a really smart move because Wizards is sitting on a goldmine that they are not taking advantage of. If you want something to compare what Cryptozoic is doing, just think of Blizzard's lost opportunity with the MOBA genre that Riot and Valve were able to take advantage of.

Sblargh

Banned
You're not wrong - mechanically, it's very similar to Magic. I think that's a really smart move because Wizards is sitting on a goldmine that they are not taking advantage of. If you want something to compare what Cryptozoic is doing, just think of Blizzard's lost opportunity with the MOBA genre that Riot and Valve were able to take advantage of.

Very good point. Thanks.

ultron87

It is mechanically very much Magic. They are doing a lot of cool stuff with digital cards that is impossible with paper cards that may make it play very differently, but in the end you are playing land equivalents to cast spells spread across a very similar color pie and tapping creatures to send at your opponents face.

KuroNeeko

I like cards that completely change the play environment. Give me all-in gambles like Enduring Renewal and Smokestack. Fun cards like Jester's Cap would be cool too.

Proven

The dungeon actually sounds cool. The only bad news I can see is that it's a point and click adventure. People who want actual 3D or even 2D models running around in a world may be disappointed, although we don't know how things are going to go outside of dungeons. Still, there are going to be people that will dismiss something as an MMO if they see it as a glorified chat room...

Shinjica

The dungeon actually sounds cool. The only bad news I can see is that it's a point and click adventure. People who want actual 3D or even 2D models running around in a world may be disappointed, although we don't know how things are going to go outside of dungeons. Still, there are going to be people that will dismiss something as an MMO if they see it as a glorified chat room...

It's a MMO around Trading card game, not the classic MMORPG game aka World of Warcraft.
If they expect something different is their fault.

Please excuse my ignorance because the last time i played magic was in middle school but what exactly is Magic not doing that this is?

Minsc

Gold Member
Please excuse my ignorance because the last time i played magic was in middle school but what exactly is Magic not doing that this is?

Making a MMOTCG accessible to tablets and PCs which is built with a UI not from the 90s version of hell.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think I may have to the bite the bullet and at least kick in for a squire or warrior tier. I really like the ambition behind the game, it seems like they want to take it in some really interesting places that go well beyond what you'd expect from an online TCG.

Top Bottom