• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex MMOTCG Kickstarter by Cryptozoic Entertainment [Complete, ~$2.5 million funded]

Boken

Banned
No. I don't foresee any new stretch goals. I think there will be add-ons (the t-shirt is already confirmed as one) but the stretch goals are most likely finished at 1.5m. I think Cory Jones really wants to release the game before this year is over and new stretch goals could delay that.

It's also sold-out, which makes your decision easier! =P

yeah, primal tier is even more expensive!

All I do in TCGs is draft

I love me some drafting. and am sad that I am out of options

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
yeah, primal tier is even more expensive!

All I do in TCGs is draft

I love me some drafting. and am sad that I am out of options

There's always the other $250 tiers that will at least give you a free draft a week for a year.

Also, nearly impossible to pick up a dropped without some sort of script it appears..

Yeah, I mean the chances of getting the PP or GK are really slim. You could always try to ask someone on the official forums to see if anyone might give you one assuming they might be reconsidering GK/PP (a lot of people have reserved a GK just in case). Also, the last two days might have GKs or PPs dropping too.

Sblargh

Banned
So, if I would choose one of the remaining $250 ones, hum... the dungeon crawler? So acquiring cards via PVE becomes less of a grind?

Izayoi

Banned
So, if I would choose one of the remaining $250 ones, hum... the dungeon crawler? So acquiring cards via PVE becomes less of a grind?
If you're into PvE, Dungeon Crawler definitely seems to be the best bet. Depending on how much value PvE cards and equipment go for it could end up being the best non-PP investment at $250 (or even better, depending on how much you play - remember that Pro Player is only $364 a year. If the game has a healthy economy, and you play a lot, there's a very good chance that you'll make more than that with Dungeon Crawler.

Collector is great on its own, if only for the second Lotus Garden. The twelve alt-art cards every year are a great bonus, and if they end up being strong meta cards they could be worth a ton of money.

Guild Master nets you an additional 90 packs up-front, but not much else.

Raid Leader is interesting, but unless you're a Grand King or have friends who you're planning on raiding with the tier doesn't really seem worth it.

If you're looking for a good value breakdown of the different tiers, check out the following links to see how much you'd save over "retail" on each:

Squire, Warrior, Captain, Knight and Champion Tiers
King, $250, and Grand King Tiers

Note that there are some assumptions and conjecture, but for the most part it's pretty accurate.

Shrennin

if you dont merge the account you'll have one with 1 year draft and another one with lifetime draft

That'll work. I've just never been a fan of multiple accounts for one game, so I wouldn't personally do that myself.

Also, that does bring up the potential issue of multi-boxing. That could cause some abuse within the tournament structure if it's not somehow monitored/stopped.

Booster pack and the entry for tournament

It should be noted that you can technically buy booster packs with in-game gold from other players on the auction house as well. No one knows how much gold the in-game economy will require for it though. I imagine that in the beginning booster packs won't be that much and then they will gradually increase in the gold required for them. Also, you could trade PVE cards for PVP cards (and vice-versa) as well. That, however, will depend on how much value the PVE is perceived though.

You still have to pay for entry fees to tournaments though (as far as I am aware). I also think every tournament has a $1 fee attached to it. Although if you do the $4 VIP subscription for 1 pack a week then you do get a free entry every month into a VIP tournament.

IllumiNate

For the final stretch goal Kings and above get 15x packs of set 2, so 2 kings would net 30x set 2 packs as aposed to 15x from another collector. All things to consider haha

Shinjica

It should be noted that you can technically buy booster packs with in-game gold from other players on the auction house as well. No one knows how much gold the in-game economy will require for it though. I imagine that in the beginning booster packs won't be that much and then they will gradually increase in the gold required for them. Also, you could trade PVE cards for PVP cards (and vice-versa) as well. That, however, will depend on how much value the PVE is perceived though.

I dont think you can buy pack with gold. I believe only with platinum.

Shrennin

I dont think you can buy pack with gold. I believe only with platinum.

I think you can on the auction house. As far as I was aware, Platinum was the real currency to use to buy stuff from CZE directly while gold was used for the in-game auction house. I could be mistaken though but I do know that players can sell booster packs.

I was thinking more in line with how ANet and Riot handle it.

Izayoi

Banned
Platinum: Currency purchased from CZE. Can be used on boosters from in-game store or to buy things off of the auction house that are listed for Platinum.

Gold: In-game currency acquired by doing PvE content. Can be used to buy things off of the auction house that are listed for Gold.

You choose what currency you want to accept when you put an item up for auction. There are no bind-on-pickup items in the game except for the starter deck everyone receives when they first start playing, Kickstarter Mercenaries, and Kickstarter card sleeves. Anything can be listed for either Gold or Platinum, including boosters (regular and primal) and purchased starter decks (including Kickstarter exclusive decks).

That's what I've been able to piece together by scouring the forums, anyway.

Yaari

I like the idea of selling stuff on that Auction House, but I do question if PVE stuff is really going to be in demand at all.

It would be nice if PVE in a way could contribute to your PVP progress. And I'm not talking about using those cards, but just to get people interested in doing it.

What would be the most interesting tier on top of a Pro Player one? You don't get the second draft, so that makes it pretty pointless to go for a 250$ even though the Dungeon Crawler interests me.

Izayoi

Banned
I like the idea of selling stuff on that Auction House, but I do question if PVE stuff is really going to be in demand at all.

It would be nice if PVE in a way could contribute to your PVP progress. And I'm not talking about using those cards, but just to get people interested in doing it.
Doing PvE lets you level your cards into extended art/foil. If nothing else, that alone should be reason enough for many to PvE. Not to mention that the PvE side of things is totally free, and that's going to be a huge draw for a lot of people.

What would be the most interesting tier on top of a Pro Player one? You don't get the second draft, so that makes it pretty pointless to go for a 250$ even though the Dungeon Crawler interests me.
Just keep the accounts separate so that you can still get the benefits of your one year of free drafts. If that's too much work, two Kings is probably your best bet.

llotus

Neo Member
I can't wait for this game to be released. I have high hopes for this TCG. I really really really hope it becomes the Magic of the online scene

Arveene

Neo Member
None as of now, would love to back at GK or Pro though. I honestly don't know if I'll back it without being able to grab one of those. I really can't believe they didn't think that people would stack GKs / Pro tiers to try to scalp them. They're so far above and beyond what any other tier offers.

Arveene

Neo Member
Just picked up a GK after camping at my computer for the past four days or so. Will probably stack on some Collector's now for a few extra things.

Shinjica

Update #20

Hi HEXers. We now have less than 10 days to go. I hope you all enjoyed Memorial Day, Arrested Development weekend.

I'll lead off with the PayPal numbers.

PayPal Update

It keeps growing! We're at $84,355.00. Thank you to everyone who's backed us through PayPal. Remember, if you can't back us through Kickstarter here, you can back us through PayPal and you'll receive all the same rewards, including stretch goals.

Tablet Support

The PayPal number puts us under $100,000 to go in for the iOS and Android tablet support Stretch Goal. Thank you to everyone who's been sharing this campaign. You really are the heroes of HEX. A sizable chunk of our backers have come through Facebook shares, so please keep promoting this campaign through your social media channels as we hit the home stretch.

T-Shirt Poll

Thank you to everyone who participated in the t-shirt poll over the weekend on the HEX forums. As our company motto is Fans First, we wanted to open the discussion to you, the HEX community. Many of you pointed out the hazard of tying exclusive cards to physical goods, even if we were doing it through Kickstarter. We are making the tee-shirts and they'll be solo. They'll still be gorgeous, clean HEX designs printed on quality shirt stock, but feature no digital add-ons. Your feedback is truly appreciated and helped us make this decision. Thanks for keeping the discussion civil and constructive. We'll show you the shirts and explain how to order them in a future update.

As for the card, we'll be awarding that PVE card as an exclusive to Kickstarter backers as a thank you for participating in the discussion. From Squire to Producer, you'll all receive a copy and due to the 660K stretch goal reward, you'll all be getting an extra copy. Collectors, you'll all be getting three copies. Hooray! We'll unveil the full card in a later update.

GamesRadar

Cory visited San Francisco last week and showed HEX to the good folks at Games Radar. You can watch the gameplay video of Cory vs. Kyle while Cory discusses the project with the GamesRadar team. Watch the video here.

On HEXTCG.com

Yesterday, we interviewed the notorious super villain Kraz in his dungeon hideout. Say 'yes' to Dr. Yes here.

Today, lead developer Dan Clark takes you through all the keywords you'll see in Set 1 and unveils a few new cards along the way. You can read that here.

Thanks again for all your support, HEXers. We have just 9 more days to go, so please keep sharing this campaign. Don't forget to Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter, subscribe on YouTube, subscribe on Twitch, and register for our forums.

I can't wait for this game to be released. I have high hopes for this TCG. I really really really hope it becomes the Magic of the online scene
Same here. It sucks that almost all the discussion anywhere is over real money aspects of the game and not the game itself.

I'm trying to get all my friends in on this, we're all huge MMO and Magic fans, and I think they'd all enjoy the game. Really what sold me was when I starrted looking through all the cards to see that it really isn't a complete magic clone. The ideas they have in this first set alone show they are really driven to play on the digital aspect. That's what's going to really set this game apart.

Hell, that's what sets them apart from pretty much every other digital card game out now.

Can't wait to see the hype that comes once this Kickstarter is over.

Shrennin

I find it funny that it is 3 unique ones and then like 9 that are exact Magic keywords.

To be fair, anything that is remotely similar in mechanics (direct attack, etc.) is gonna have to have keywords that work exactly like Magic does in ways just because there's no other unique way to go about it. Uniqueness for uniqueness' sake is not worth it.

Even Inspire is like the ally group effect in Magic (although I much prefer how Inspire works as opposed to how allies work).

ultron87

To be fair, anything that is remotely similar in mechanics (direct attack, etc.) is gonna have to have keywords that work exactly like Magic does in ways just because there's no other unique way to go about it. Uniqueness for uniqueness' sake is not worth it.

Even Inspire is like the ally group effect in Magic (although I much prefer how Inspire works as opposed to how allies work).
Yeah, I don't hold it against them at all. If you have creatures with power and toughness and a similar blocking system then a lot of Magic mechanics are gameplay and flavor home runs. So you might as well use them. I still just find the renames funny since I imagine that throughout design they were Trample, First Strike and Haste instead of Crush, Swift Strike and Speed.

I do find the immediate existence of Hexproof/Spellshield worrying since it leads to non interaction a lot of the time. Though they could design their way out of that problem depending on what creatures they put it on.

Shrennin

Yeah, I don't hold it against them at all. If you have creatures with power and toughness and a similar blocking system then a lot of Magic mechanics are gameplay and flavor home runs. So you might as well use them. I still just find the renames funny since I imagine that throughout design they were Trample, First Strike and Haste instead of Crush, Swift Strike and Speed.

Heck, playing Magic for so long, I'll probably still end up using Magic terms.

I do find the immediate existence of Hexproof/Spellshield worrying since it leads to non interaction a lot of the time. Though they could design their way out of that problem depending on what creatures they put it on.

That is concerning depending on how frequent those terms appear. I think they actually should have innovated on that one - mark Spellshield block spells of a certain cost or have it be a one-time use every time it comes into play.

C-Drive

My favorite part is just watching them dance around the fact they are basically describing Magic with just about every article about the minor mechanics of the game.

I'm glad the major keywords are recognizable, makes it easier to pick up and play.

Shrennin

My favorite part is just watching them dance around the fact they are basically describing Magic with just about every article about the minor mechanics of the game.

Magic is a very popular game and a great one to copy so it still boggles my mind at how Wizards is not seeing the opportunity that Magic has (or had if Hex comes out and becomes really popular). Of course, I wondered the same thing when Blizzard didn't take advantage of DotA when they had the chance. I honestly don't think Blizz All-Stars will ever compare in popularity to LoL or DotA 2 and that battle was definitely Blizzard's to lose.

I'm glad the major keywords are recognizable, makes it easier to pick up and play.

I am too. It makes learning Hex very easy for me and I'll honestly be at somewhat an advantage with my Magic experience compared to new players (or even TCG players who have played other TCGs but never Magic).

Of the magic mechanics, swiftstrike has to be the lamest name

One of the most obvious and uninspired attempts at trying to replicate "firststrike" while not copying it word for word.

Magic is a very popular game and a great one to copy so it still boggles my mind at how Wizards is not seeing the opportunity that Magic has (or had if Hex comes out and becomes really popular). Of course, I wondered the same thing when Blizzard didn't take advantage of DotA when they had the chance. I honestly don't think Blizz All-Stars will ever compare in popularity to LoL or DotA 2 and that battle was definitely Blizzard's to lose.

I do wonder if somewhere in WotC they are scrambling to try to do something.

Arveene

Neo Member
One of the most obvious and uninspired attempts at trying to replicate "firststrike" while not copying it word for word.

I might be having a brain fart, but I'm now trying to think of a different way of saying First Strike while still having the keyword be clear and concise.

Also, I decided to go into this with my 1 GK and 3x Collector. I figure Spectral Lotuses will be great for any deck in PvE and should sell for a decent amount. Alternate art pvp cards sound nice and I can give away some extras to friends or sell them for a good amount.

The giant signs flashing LOOK AT ALL THIS VALUE are too much for me to resist.

Shrennin

I think they would be idiots to not see it. It's a very obvious evolution of the TCG. The only thing that probably held WotC back is that they would be taking a risk of gambling the success of the paper card game for the success of the digital card game - also, Magic would have to be retooled to truly take advantage of a digital space and the value of Magic could be reset if they totally phased out the paper cards. There's no doubt that it would be a huge risk for WotC, but they were at the prime position to do it and to, in all likelihood, be successful at it.

I might be having a brain fart, but I'm now trying to think of a different way of saying First Strike while still having the keyword be clear and concise.

Hmmm...

Well, I like First Hit more than Swift Strike personally. You're not really gonna get too original with it. It's just that swift is more of an uncommon word that it seems like CZE was looking in a thesaurus to replicate First Strike's meaning. =P

C-Drive

They haven't scrambled to do anything in ten years, why would they start now? Besides, paper magic just turned digital isn't that interesting. Taking the foundations of it and adding in the benefits of digital is, and WOTC wouldn't dare touch that boundary.

Anything would have worked better than "Swiftstrike", but again, we all instantly know what swiftstrike means.

Shrennin

They haven't scrambled to do anything in ten years, why would they start now? Besides, paper magic just turned digital isn't that interesting. Taking the foundations of it and adding in the benefits of digital is, and WOTC wouldn't dare touch that boundary.

WotC could have also just copied Magic straight up (including the terminology), retooled it to take advantage of the digital space, and create a new IP to go with this while maintaining Magic: The Gathering as its own paper TCG and the new IP as the "Magic of the digital world."

One thing I wouldn't have trusted WotC to get right that CZE looks like it will is the MMO aspect. I think that's a very important but overlooked aspect of a digital TCG because MMOs breed community, which is the single most important thing about a TCG.

Anything would have worked better than "Swiftstrike", but again, we all instantly know what swiftstrike means.

Anything? Really?

I propose Headmost Bash then! =P

Top Bottom