• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey doesn't that new Nintendo.. thing... come out soon?

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
snapty00 said:
tocuh screen!!!!!!!!!!!111 holyshitwtf i take back all that i said manzz

NINTENDO OWNZ ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

TOUCH ME

That's right.....touch screen biatch. Lets see the computer company and home technology company come up with something inovative. Seriously, when was the last time that Sony or Microsoft did something that was all together new? Online gaming....been there and done that on my PC. A drive that plays games but can also play movies......HOLY SHIT I MUST BUY ONE. I'll say it again. Nintendo Ownz All.

snapty00

Banned
Should've had -- in addition to the digital directional pad -- a true analog version of one of these:

nes-max.jpg

lexi

Banned
GMUNYIFan said:
NINTENDO OWNZ ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

TOUCH ME

That's right.....touch screen biatch. Lets see the computer company and home technology company come up with something inovative. Seriously, when was the last time that Sony or Microsoft did something that was all together new? Online gaming....been there and done that on my PC. A drive that plays games but can also play movies......HOLY SHIT I MUST BUY ONE. I'll say it again. Nintendo Ownz All.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome!

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
snapty00 said:
Should've had -- in addition to the digital directional pad -- a true analog version of one of these:

nes-max.jpg

While that is a valid point....and a decent idea, do you remember how that stupid red thing would just flop around while you were playing and inadvertently move you? This is why the touch screen is a brilliant idea. You can't go blaming the system for your stupid moves anymore. You tell the character to move somewhere and touch exactly where to go.

Brilliant.

Seriously, if I didn't come here I wouldn't even know there was another Nintendo handheld being released. Seems like the only ones that are aware of it are the Nintendo faithful.

Beezy

GMUNYIFan said:
You must realize that Nintendo does not need to work hard to sell a new console. Especially when they are only competing against a Sony product that has absolutely no worth-while titles coming out on it.

Nintendo has been making systems since day one, I'm sure they know what they're doing when it comes to getting the word out for their system.

-_-

How the hell can you say that? Do you remember PS1 vs N64?

snapty00

Banned
GMUNYIFan said:
While that is a valid point....and a decent idea, do you remember how that stupid red thing would just flop around while you were playing and inadvertently move you? This is why the touch screen is a brilliant idea. You can't go blaming the system for your stupid moves anymore. You tell the character to move somewhere and touch exactly where to go.

Brilliant.
The touch screen is fine and dandy. But suggesting that it somehow replaces an analog input is stupid. If you do that, you might as well also get rid of the directional pad, the start/select buttons, and the fact buttons because they can be half-assedly emulated on the touch screen.

And it wouldn't have to have the poor construction of the NES Max controller. It could be much better than that if they chose for it to be.

GMUNYIFan said:
Sorry to say it, but in the long run N64 won that battle.
:lol You're too IGNboards. To the ignore list.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I repeat. Impressions of the touchscreen as an analog control interface have been largely positive so far.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Beezy said:
-_-

How the hell can you say that? Do you remember PS1 vs N64?

Sorry to say it, but in the long run N64 won that battle. Nintendo seems to be releasing their new systems after the competition come out with theirs. By the time the N64 launched, the PS1 had a huge library already. I owned most of that library, and still switched over to N64. The cartridge is what held the N64 back from being the ultimate gaming console. If N64 were a disc based system.....I don't even wanna think about it.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
snapty00 said:
The touch screen is fine and dandy. But suggesting that it somehow replaces an analog input is stupid. If you do that, you might as well also get rid of the directional pad, the start/select buttons, and the fact buttons because they can be half-assedly emulated on the touch screen.

Dude, before you suggested that the system have an analog controller that didn't even need to be pressure sensitive. What more do you need? You have absolute control over a plane of 360 degrees. For christ's sake pick a point and run with it....don't keep on changing your mind.

Beezy

GMUNYIFan said:
Sorry to say it, but in the long run N64 won that battle. Nintendo seems to be releasing their new systems after the competition come out with theirs. By the time the N64 launched, the PS1 had a huge library already. I owned most of that library, and still switched over to N64. The cartridge is what held the N64 back from being the ultimate gaming console. If N64 were a disc based system.....I don't even wanna think about it.

OMFG. I now know what it means to be a jaded Nintendo fan...

Mejilan

GMUNYIFan said:
Are you KIDDING me? PS1 is shit in comparisson to N64. So do me a favor.
Please, stop now. Please.

If that's your opinion, that's fine, but that doesn't mean that the N64 "won" the 32/64 bit console wars. From one Ninty fan to another, seriously...

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Beezy said:
OMFG. I now know what it means to be a jaded Nintendo fan...

Jaded Nintendo fan is a little TOO over the top. I own a PS2 and about 15-20 of the must own titles. But I also own a cube with 25+ cube-exlusive games. I do own the eyetoy and appreciate it. I admit Sony has definitely come a long way since PS1 :D

Dead

well not really...yet
GMUNYIFan said:
haha

lexi

Banned
Hey, I'm as much as a Nintendo fan as the most jaded fanboy, and technically, yes, the N64 was superior to the PSX, but both had a large share of AAA games. You're only giving the Anti-Nintendo trolls bait.

Agent X

JC10001 said:
It seems to me like Nintendo fans are trying to say the PSP isn't worth it because its the same old same old... but the fact is the Gameboy offered the same old same old too and I don't seem to recall any of you saying "don't buy a Gameboy you can play those games on the NES, SNES, etc".

IAWTP.

It's especially funny seeing the Nintendo cheerleading squad's justification for the "Classic NES" games that Nintendo's trying to shill, which are overpriced yet aren't even as good as the originals.

JC10001 said:
I want arcade perfect CPS2 ports on a handheld...the DS cannot offer me this experience. The PSP can. End of story.

Same here. I'd love to get my hands on Darkstalkers Chronicle; in some ways it looks like it might be even better than any of the Darkstalkers arcade games.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 on GBA was a nice effort considering the hardware limitations. I still play that one a lot.

GaimeGuy said:
Ah so now people WANT ports on handhelds, now that sony's joined the fray.

Sure, why not? Ports are fine as long as they're quality conversions.

What I don't want are top-shelf-priced ports of singular NES/SNES titles from 10-20 years ago that are noticeably inferior to the originals. Clearly, I'm not alone in this sentiment.

GMUNYIFan said:
Especially when they are only competing against a Sony product that has absolutely no worth-while titles coming out on it.

Oh, man, this is too much...

Gran Turismo 4 Mobile, Darkstalkers Chronicle, Ridge Racers, Metal Gear Acid, Lumines, Mercury, Wipeout Pure, Twisted Metal: World Tour, ATV Offroad Fury...wait a minute, why am I even bothering to rattle off this list to you anyway?

GMUNYIFan said:
Ask yourself this question....Why do you need an analog stick on a Hand Held? I know many companies are doing this nowadays, but I see no need for it.

Uh, let me guess...analog control, perhaps?

GMUNYIFan said:
The DS folds close, so to protect the screens when not in use. The psp does not fold close, but has an analog stick. I bet you'll be hearing shit from psp fanboys about how their screen are getting all scratched up from minimal play.

So I take it you don't plan on using the touch screen function of your DS at all, then? After all, repeatedly tracing it with a stylus would surely scratch the screen up, you know.

GMUNYIFan said:
That's right.....touch screen biatch. Lets see the computer company and home technology company come up with something inovative.

Tiger Game.Com, released in 1997

tiger2.gif

Tapwave Zodiac, released in 2003 (and still currently on the market)

zodiac2.jpg

You're welcome! :D

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Mejilan said:
If that's your opinion, that's fine, but that doesn't mean that the N64 "won" the 32/64 bit console wars. From one Ninty fan to another, seriously...

Dude I completely know what you're saying and true I may have gone overboard....but the Nintendo hate in these forums is killing me as of late.

Mejilan

GMUNYIFan said:
Dude I completely know what you're saying and true I may have gone overboard....but the Nintendo hate in these forums is killing me as of late.

I agree that it's become tough being a light-skinned Ninty fan on GAF these days, but your comments will only feed the hate.

Beezy

GMUNYIFan said:
Jaded Nintendo fan is a little TOO over the top. I own a PS2 and about 15-20 of the must own titles. But I also own a cube with 25+ cube-exlusive games. I do own the eyetoy and appreciate it. I admit Sony has definitely come a long way since PS1 :D

Look, I'm a Nintendo fan too and I think their games are the best. The only systems I've owned were made by either Nintendo or Sega. And I think Sony is the devil. But I do realize that PS1 was a better system than N64 overall and had a greater variety of games. That's why it SOLD more and that's why Sony has been ahead of Nintendo in the console business for, what, about 8 years now?

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Beezy said:
Look, I'm a Nintendo fan too and I think their games are the best. The only systems I've owned were made by either Nintendo or Sega. And I think Sony is the devil. But I do realize that PS1 was a better system than N64 overall and had a greater variety of games. That's why it SOLD more and that's why Sony has been ahead of Nintendo in the console business for, what, about 8 years now?

Congratulations.

Beezy

GMUNYIFan said:
Congratulations.

And how would you have responded if this was my post? It seems like you ignored everything else I said...

Beezy said:
PS1 was a better system than N64 overall and had a greater variety of games. That's why it SOLD more and that's why Sony has been ahead of Nintendo in the console business for, what, about 8 years now?

Gek54

Where is Gizmondo??? I jus found out the greatest rally game ever,Richard Burns Rally, is being ported to it.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Beezy said:
And how would you have responded if this was my post? It seems like you ignored everything else I said...

This is nothing more than a personal opinion....just like what I'm putting up here. You can go ahead and offer me all the proof you want that Sony is leading the gaming world, but my opinion is that Sony and Microsoft are both getting a bunch of crappy 3rd party titles and nintendo is sticking with what they know and what works. Now I realize that MGS and other games aren't crappy, but a lot of titles for the PS2 and Xbox can be found on other systems as well.

Insertia

DS is being released next week? List me as the uninformed too. Haven't seen much coverage about it.

Catchpenny said:
Seriously, most people outside the hardcore and kid crowds didn't know about the GBA before launch, either.

That is not true at all.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
snapty00 said:
The touch screen is fine and dandy. But suggesting that it somehow replaces an analog input is stupid.
Certainly an analog stick of some sort would have been nice but no system is perfect. One could just as easily argue that the PSP is flawed for a having just one. Unlike the DS PSP was designed with 3d in mind. Using the touch screen for "analog" control may not be ideal but by the sound of it it works ok.

Mashing

worldrunover said:
They all know about the PSP though.

Sure they know about hte PSP, they're a bunch of sony whores. Sony has done jackshit in promoting hte PSP either.

I've seen NOTHING about the PSP... I have seen DS promotion though.

Beezy

GMUNYIFan said:
This is nothing more than a personal opinion....just like what I'm putting up here. You can go ahead and offer me all the proof you want that Sony is leading the gaming world, but my opinion is that Sony and Microsoft are both getting a bunch of crappy 3rd party titles and nintendo is sticking with what they know and what works. Now I realize that MGS and other games aren't crappy, but a lot of titles for the PS2 and Xbox can be found on other systems as well.

...fair enough.

Mashing said:
Sure they know about hte PSP, they're a bunch of sony whores. Sony has done jackshit in promoting hte PSP either.

Isn't there a quick shot of it in some movie ad? Plus there's that whole Coke thing. That alone seems pretty noticeable.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The DS launch is definitely way too quiet for a brand new system. I still think it's going to sell pretty well for the holidays, however.

And I also think that the PSP is going to kill the DS, especially if it releases for $180 in the U.S. That doesn't make the DS a horrible system, and I'm looking forward to seeing what gets released for the system. I felt the same away about the Dreamcast (and was right) once I saw initial reactions to the PS2 back in 1999.

cybamerc

Lyte Edge said:
The DS launch is definitely way too quiet for a brand new system.
I think Nintendo is counting on the initial shipment selling out quickly to the hardcore fans. People need to keep in mind that the DS launch is being backed by the largest marketing budget for a Nintendo system so far so when you're not seeing a lot of advertising it's because they're saving the marketing push for later.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
cybamerc said:
I think Nintendo is counting on the initial shipment selling out quickly to the hardcore fans. People need to keep in mind that the DS launch is being backed by the largest marketing budget for a Nintendo system so far so when you're not seeing a lot of advertising it's because they're saving the marketing push for later.

Why? NOW is the perfect time to start advertising the system for the holiday season.

Agent X

Mashing said:

The PSP isn't supposed to be released next week.

cybamerc

Lyte Edge:

> Why? NOW is the perfect time to start advertising the system for the holiday season.

Like I said they're probably expecting the initial shipment to sell out quickly to hardcore fans. A lot of stores have already stopped taking preorders because they won't be getting enough systems on day one. Marketing is all about money and there's no need to advertise to those who are already sold on the product. Somewhere between launch and the second shipment you'll likely see DS marketing take off.

Mejilan

cybamerc said:
Lyte Edge:

> Why? NOW is the perfect time to start advertising the system for the holiday season.

Like I said they're probably expecting the initial shipment to sell out quickly to hardcore fans. A lot of stores have already stopped taking preorders because they won't be getting enough systems on day one. Marketing is all about money and there's no need to advertise to those who are already sold on the product. Somewhere between launch and the second shipment you'll likely see DS marketing take off.

That's a good point. The DS is sold out in America, at least in the specialty game retail stores. No point in advertising it now since it won't be available. I bet Nintendo will step up the marketing closer to Christmas, and undoubtedly, word of mouth will be selling systems by then too.

GMUNYIFan said:
Are you KIDDING me? PS1 is shit in comparisson to N64. So do me a favor.
Please, stop now. Please.

If the PS1 is crap compared to the N64, then that is why does the PS1 have alot more quality games then the N64. The The PS1 is so bad compared to the N64, that sony got most of the consumer base in both Japan and the West. So the ps1 is crap, and the N64 is so much better. Then why didn't all those companies jump ship from the PS2 and went to the Gamecube after seeing how superior the N64 was? ;) Stop living in your own fanboy world.

Gek54

sonic4ever said:
If the PS1 is crap compared to the N64, then that is why does the PS1 have alot more quality games then the N64. The The PS1 is so bad compared to the N64, that sony got most of the consumer base in both Japan and the West. So the ps1 is crap, and the N64 is so much better. Then why didn't all those companies jump ship from the PS2 and went to the Gamecube after seeing how superior the N64 was? ;) Stop living in your own fanboy world.

PS1 used CDs which held alot more data than N64 cartriges. PSP uses UMD which holds a lot more data than DS catriges. Hmmmm.

;)

Insertia said:
That is not true at all.

Uh, yes it is. GBA launch was quiet, especially considering that it launched in the summer of 2001, when Gran Turismo 3 and hype for the upcoming Xbox/Gamecube were the only other things going on. I don't recall seeing any commercials for the GBA pre-launch, whereas I've seen the DS commercial several times. The DS seems to have just as much in-store promotional material as the GBA did.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Ok, a lot of this thread is pretty stupid (but then a certain poster has a lot of posts in it, so that explains that one), but for the...oh I don't know...20th time, the DS couldn't have had only one analogue stick.

The DS has a symmetrical design for a reason: the stylus/touchscreen. You don't want to be using the stylus with your weaker hand (especially not on games which require a lot of precision), so the buttons mirror the D-pad. So now developers just have to put in a quick switch in the menu options so the D-pad and L button controls switch to the face buttons and R button controls (this of course only applies to games which use both sorts of controls, MP: Hunters for example). So, if Nintendo were to add an analogue stick, they'd have to add one on the other side.

Now I'm not saying Nintendo should have put two on, I think they should have (though if the thumpad controls work out fine as an imitation analogue stick, i don't much care either way). But maybe it was dropped for a cost issue...I honestly don't know how much it would cost, but you know how Nintendo don't like to eat up the cost on systems. We already know they dropped motion sensor control from the DS for that reason (and I'm absolutely certain that will be one of Revolution's control method's for that reason).

Actually, having said that I think they should have added an analogue stick, maybe I don't. It might have been a smart decision for getting games on the console and attracting consumers, but if the lack somehow extends the lifespan of 2D games, I'm all for it.

Mejilan

The GBA launch was ANYTHING but quiet in NY. Lines were around the store. Man, I bought mine at the GS across from the Manhattan Mall, and the line was actually out the door. Sadly, their shipment got delayed a few hours, and customers from the EB INSIDE the store would come in and gloat, since EB got their shipment in the morning.

I wasn't even alone in taking a personal day off work to make it for the morning launch.

Smurf:
Except that lefties never seemed to make an issue of using standard controllers with the left stick as the primary. So I don't see why including an analogue stick would have been an issue.

Top Bottom