• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Sega... How about some Genesis -> GBA ports?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
You know how Nintendo ports SNES games to the GBA?

Why the hell hasn't Sega ported the Sonic Series, Street of Rage series, etc? I mean I know it might be a little more difficult than say SNES-GBA ports but they can't be that hard to do.

I mean good lord, they'd sell like mad. A cartridge containing Sonic 1,2,3, and Knuckles would probably clear a million units worldwide. And a portable Streets of Rage? That'd be awesome.

Sega must really hate money.

Kuramu

hey yeah... i never had a Genesis... i'd buy a shitload of genesis games if they put some of these out. let's get cracking, Sega

Meier

I dont understand why we dont see more of it... I would kill for so many SNES or Genesis games in portable form. What's holding the companies back? They've seen the success Nintendo has had doing it and yet dont follow suit. It's mind-boggling...

Actually, I think there are some Genesis ports out there... Sega came out with a cart that had Sonic 1, Ecco, and some other game a few years ago. They called it the Smash Pack. I heard it wasn't very good.

adelgary said:
I would really like many Genesis ports to GBA, but not necessarily from SEGA.

Ummm.... you must not be familiar with all the ports that Sega farms out to outside devs (not including OutRun 2 of course).

jarrod

Banned
FortNinety said:
Actually, I think there are some Genesis ports out there... Sega came out with a cart that had Sonic 1, Ecco, and some other game a few years ago. They called it the Smash Pack. I heard it wasn't very good.
There've been a few Genesis ports on GBA...

Comix Zone (ported by Virtua Craft)

Phantasy Star Collection (ported by Digital Eclipse)
-Phantasy Star II
-Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom

Sega Smash Pack (ported by CodeFire)
-Ecco the Dolphin
-Golden Axe
-Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball

jarrod

Banned
Oh and here's my resonse from the other thread...

jarrod said:
Sega's stupid. I've been praying for a good GBA selection of MD ports since Chu-Chu Rocket was announced. Especially after Phantasy Star Collection wet my appetite... how about Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Golden Axe or WonderBoy Collections Sega?

Also, Sega probably would've made more money going the Mario Advance route, and just porting enhanced Genesis Sonics rather than outsourcing to Dimps for medicore new Sonics. Hell, they already have a working SMS/GG emulator, why not do a Sonic Mini Collection with all the GG games? It'd sell 500k easy. :/

I'd literally kill someone for a good, WestOne produced Monster World Collection. :(

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The Phantasy Star Collection was poorly done.

I thought there was a rumored port of Pirates! coming to GBA, what happened to that?!?

XS+

Banned
FortNinety said:
Ummm.... you must not be familiar with all the ports that Sega farms out to outside devs (not including OutRun 2 of course).
I think he's saying he wants to see more third-party Genesis titles on GBA than Sega titles. And you can count me in on that sentiment.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Lemurnator said:
GBA can't handle Genesis games.

No Blast processing.

Bah, if anything, they should remove the weaksauce blast processing code and replace it with infiniately surperior Mode 7 code. :D

jarrod

Banned
XS+ said:
I think he's saying he wants to see more third-party Genesis titles on GBA than Sega titles. And you can count me in on that sentiment.
I would mind seeing Capcom port The Wily Wars. :)

Sega holds rights over most of the worthwhile Genesis games though imo.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
There are a bunch of Sega Genesis titles that I've really been dying to see ported, but to no avail. Games like Shinobi III, the Vectorman duo, and the Ecco titles (I heard the Smash Pack port was less than great). Or hell, I'll take high quality original versions too.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Musashi Wins! said:
I thought there was a rumored port of Pirates! coming to GBA, what happened to that?!?
WHAT?!

I have not heard of this, but if it has even a remote chance of being true I will kill whoever is necessary in order to make it a reality.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Jarrod, of all people, why don't YOU have a Pocket PC or Palm device for playing the older consoles emulated? :)

I don't even play my GBA anymore. I just play SNES, Genesis, NES, TG-16, and Master System games on my Zodiac 2.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
jarrod said:
There've been a few Genesis ports on GBA...

Comix Zone (ported by Virtua Craft)

Phantasy Star Collection (ported by Digital Eclipse)
-Phantasy Star II
-Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom

Sega Smash Pack (ported by CodeFire)
-Ecco the Dolphin
-Golden Axe
-Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball

I also know they ported the great strategy-RPG Shining Force as well. They've certainly done a little bit of it, but sometimes their choices have been a bit ... interesting

Lyte Edge said:
Jarrod, of all people, why don't YOU have a Pocket PC or Palm device for playing the older consoles emulated? :)

I don't even play my GBA anymore. I just play SNES, Genesis, NES, TG-16, and Master System games on my Zodiac 2.

Hey, how do these emus perform on the Zodiac 2? Also, what do these cost?

jarrod

Banned
Nerevar said:
I also know they ported the great strategy-RPG Shining Force as well. They've certainly done a little bit of it, but sometimes their choices have been a bit ... interesting
Shining Force isn't port though, it's a from ground the ground up remake. Like Resident Evil GC or MGS: The Twin Snakes.

Genesis games would work not nearly as well on GBA as SNES games. Of the three, the Genesis used the highest standard resolution, but used the fewest colors. So anything close to a straight port to GBA would lose 46% of the viewing area (from 320x224 to 240x160) and still be a low color game. Whereas SNES ports lose 33% of the viewing area, and have color comparable to other GBA games.

Actually, I once made some comparison images to show this off along with text to answer this question in general (most of which is the above paragraph in longer form). May have even linked to it from whatever iteration of GAF was around then. Anyway, here's the link.

XS+ said:

Well in that case, I want a Treasure collection (Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy), a Gau/Nextech colletion (remember them? makers of Ranger X and Crusader of Centy), Ristar, Thunder Force 4, and even Panorama Cotton.

Eh, I'm happy playing Genesis games the way they were intended. The Steel Empire remake came out pretty well, though.

madara said:
aye give me landstalker and many others on some console that has s-video at least please.
Get this man an RGB cable, stat!

jarrod

Banned
FortNinety said:
Well in that case, I want a Treasure collection (Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy), a Gau/Nextech colletion (remember them? makers of Ranger X and Crusader of Centy), Ristar, Thunder Force 4, and even Panorama Cotton.
I *think* Sega still holds rights over Treasure's MD stuff (and Guardian Heroes). And Nextech is a Sega subsidiary actually... and Ristar was done internally.

Panorama Cotton (Success) and ThunderForce IV (TecnoSoft~ RIP) being the only real 3rd party properties there.

Birbo

I still want a compilation on Dreamcast online games for Xbox Live. Chu Chu Rocket, Ooga Booga, Outriggers, Alien Front Online, etc. That would sell, baby!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wonder Boy Collection would own all, and I'm still waiting for Shining Force 2 remake and a port of Phantasy Star IV. Streets of Rage Collection... man, that'd be awesome.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
could the gba handle the genesis sound? the music on sonic 2 was gold but it had a very sega-ish sound that i'm nots ure would sound the same on gba.. *plays emerald hill zone*

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
GBA handled Phantasty Star music just fine, and actually outdid the Genny original tunes in the Shining Force remake.

I'll take original Genesis FM synthesis over muffled GBA sound, thanks. The GBA handled Phantasy Star's music well because it has a PSG chip that's very similar to the Master System's, but the music in PS2-3 was mangled. Also, let's not forget Sega Smash Pack. >_<

Top Bottom