• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argyle

VanMardigan said:
Really!!! REALLY!!

lol, you have no clue what you're talking about. HD DVD has about as many titles available for purchase as Blu Ray. Fox and Disney have been mostly non-existent so far. You should really learn more about HD DVD before you post again.

It's not about number of titles - please try to understand my point before replying again. My point is that there are only three companies really supporting the format, and thus there is little incentive to raise the quality bar much with this lack of competition. Instead there is a mad rush to crank titles out and that's why you're seeing the quality bar lowered on the format - which probably isn't hurting them as much as it should because there are only two other studios who can step up and fill the void with quality releases. Does that make sense?

VanMardigan said:
Amir (the Microsoft HD DVD evangelist) responds to the Blockbuster news:

And we are not talking one or two stores. 250 stores, probably in the richest, and highest likelihood to purchase HD metropolitan areas will continue to carry HD DVD. As will their on-line properties.

Living in the city of Seattle, I have never seen Blu Ray or HD-DVD at any Blockbuster. We're a pretty good sized metropolitan area, and an extremely tech savvy one. Where the hell are these 250 stores at?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Argyle said:
It's not about number of titles - please try to understand my point before replying again. My point is that there are only three companies really supporting the format, and thus there is little incentive to raise the quality bar much with this lack of competition. Instead there is a mad rush to crank titles out and that's why you're seeing the quality bar lowered on the format.

That's a ludicrous point, and it has absolutely NO merit. Universal, Paramount, Warner have all put out 5 star PQ discs. The reason for the Uni catalog titles with sub par PQ has more to do with economic issues than lack of competition. WB just put out the Matrix trilogy, which features awesome video. The competition is NOT a factor for the recent Uni catalogs having average PQ.

Argyle

VanMardigan said:
That's a ludicrous point, and it has absolutely NO merit. Universal, Paramount, Warner have all put out 5 star PQ discs. The reason for the Uni catalog titles with sub par PQ has more to do with economic issues than lack of competition. WB just put out the Matrix trilogy, which features awesome video. The competition is NOT a factor for the recent Uni catalogs having average PQ.

Sure, my argument is that lack of competition is an economic issue. For example, they can crap out a bunch of catalog titles and the videophiles will grin and bear it since no one else has set the quality bar for older titles on the format - why would they spend more money than they needed to?

Think about how Sony crapped out a bunch of titles early in the BD release period but when they were taken to task (and rightly so) they tightened up their ship, especially with so many other studios releasing movies.

methane47

VanMardigan said:
Really!!! REALLY!!

lol, you have no clue what you're talking about. HD DVD has about as many titles available for purchase as Blu Ray. Fox and Disney have been mostly non-existent so far. You should really learn more about HD DVD before you post again.

edit: for example, pick a random week, look at the releases for both formats, then figure out how HD DVD is somehow lacking choices.

wow lol
Chill-Pill.png

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
100 pages beaches!!! Oh and great job Blu-ray with landing a great deal with Blockbuster.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
DarkJediKnight said:
Lost in Transition? :lol You knew it was coming. *drumroll*

:(

no one else has set the quality bar for older titles on the format

lexluthorWRONG.gif

edit: you continue to prove just how little you know about HD DVD. Impressive amounts of ignorance being displayed.

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
Really!!! REALLY!!

edit: for example, pick a random week, look at the releases for both formats, then figure out how HD DVD is somehow lacking choices.

I really don't think Disney has been slacking too much. Their releases have been day and date with DVD this whole year. They are being slow with catalog but I can't say I don't blame them as catalogs outside of big titles just aren't going to sell.

Edit: although Disney will get a big **** you if they don't ship Lost season 3 on Blu Ray with the DVD.

Supposedly there's a big announcement coming. Hopefully, it involves Fox finishing their work on BD+ and schedules a lot of delayed titles. I need Predator, Commando asap.

jjasper

DarkJediKnight said:
Supposedly there's a big announcement coming. Hopefully, it involves Fox finishing their work on BD+ and schedules a lot of delayed titles. I need Predator, Commando asap.

God I hope so along with Prison Break, 24, and From Hell

also it would be cool if at some point they announced The Alien and Die Hard Triologies as well as True Lies although that is probably asking too much

jjasper

I don't feel so worried about Lost not coming on BD. During my boardom here at work I managed to stumble across this on Amazon's website:

61P7BApZwCL._AA240_.jpg

Disney said this along with Lost was false. I don't believe them, I think it has more to do with them not ready to make the announcement (for whatever reason)than anything.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
VanMardigan said:

QQ more.

HD-DVD doomed.

maharg

idspispopd
Pristine_Condition said:
1,700 stores stocking 170 movies...That's almost 300,000 Blu-ray movies sold right there, even if the stores only carry one copy of each movie...

If that Lieberfarb guy wants to talk about disc sales being so important, how does an extra 1/3 of a million in Blu-ray sales over and above Blu-ray's already nearly 3-to-1 sales ratio sound?

:lol

I don't think rental copy sales would be included in the sales charts this thread tracks. They sell through a different mechanism altogether.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
VanMardigan said:
Amir (the Microsoft HD DVD evangelist) responds to the Blockbuster news:

I think that depends on whether you want to believe the reality of what BB said and is doing, or the story people want to say about it . On the former, let me confirm some facts that cannot be disputed.

First, BB will continue to offer HD DVD as it always has. They are not switching formats, at all yet folks make it sound like they are.

Second, they have not looked into the crystal ball and making any kind of prediction. They simply decided that for the rest of their stores, they are going to offer BD and the core stores will continue to offer both. And we are not talking one or two stores. 250 stores, probably in the richest, and highest likelihood to purchase HD metropolitan areas will continue to carry HD DVD. As will their on-line properties.

Third, they are open to changing their stance at any moment and since they already carry HD DVD, expanding to other stores is very easy.

Forth, both formats are struggling as compared to DVD. So weather a few BD titles are available in some remote area of US, when players cost $500+ for BD, is not going to have a material impact on the marketplace.

So yes, it is a positive for BD folks. But the level of hype associated with it, bears little relationship to facts and the impact on the format battle. We signed up Circuit City last year, you didn’t see us go and say BD is in trouble because of it. So while expanding distribution is a good thing, if it does not come at the expense of the other, is simply incremental.

Finally, for people who doubt my statements, this is a video of their COO talking about the whole thing: http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=383736735&play=1. There, despite the reporter encouragements, Nick refuses to say that this is key decision for the industry or that they are predicting the future. Only that for this “nano-second,” the decision to expand distribution of BD format is the right one for them.

This is also consistent with their own press release (http://blockbuster.mediaroom.com/ind...ases&item=727), where they confirm the support for HD DVD as second line (“Company will continue to offer HD DVD titles online and in select number of stores
“). They would not go out of their way to do this if they thought HD DVD did not have strength in the marketplace.

So you see, the situation is far more consistent with our view of the situation, than anything the other side is saying.

Have at it, blu fanboys!!
Does amir post at AVS, i swear i have seen these arguments verbatim before.

At the bolded, how am i supposed to take him seriously when he cannot even spell correctly. Yes i know im no spelling and grammar champion, but shouldnt this guy have like 3 lackeys plus microsoft word's spell check to help him out?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So from what i hear tomorrow is the one year anniversary of blu-ray, anyone want to speculate on what any announcements may be? Of course the rumor mill is suggesting huge megatons, but im not counting on anything like that.

Zoe

captive said:
At the bolded, how am i supposed to take him seriously when he cannot even spell correctly. Yes i know im no spelling and grammar champion, but shouldnt this guy have like 3 lackeys plus microsoft word's spell check to help him out?

He actually made a mistake right before that one :lol

Forth, both formats are struggling as compared to DVD.

maharg said:
I don't think rental copy sales would be included in the sales charts this thread tracks. They sell through a different mechanism altogether.

Of course, in the home video industry, income for studios is pretty much split evenly between rentals and sales. It used to be MUCH, MUCH higher in rentals favor until DVD came on the scene.

Both are substantially higher than box office revenue.

Flo_Evans

sonycowboy said:
Of course, in the home video industry, income for studios is pretty much split evenly between rentals and sales. It used to be MUCH, MUCH higher in rentals favor until DVD came on the scene.

Both are substantially higher than box office revenue.

But are the copies blockbuster/netflix/ect buys counted in total sales?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
He actually made a mistake right before that one

At the bolded, how am i supposed to take him seriously when he cannot even spell correctly.

It was a forum post, not an official release. A long forum post with a couple of errors. Par for the course.

I don't know what that means.

Anyway, my "lost" copy of Lost in Translation actually got here today!!! Now I just have to wait until I get out of work to watch it. :(

So do I just tell Amazon and return the new one they're sending??

distantmantra said:
Living in the city of Seattle, I have never seen Blu Ray or HD-DVD at any Blockbuster. We're a pretty good sized metropolitan area, and an extremely tech savvy one. Where the hell are these 250 stores at?

I know it doesn't help you but here's a list for the 75 in Canada, I couldn't find the US list. I live in Calgary and it's been great for hd rentals.

AURORA - Yonge/Murray Dr.
BURLINGTON - Brant/Victoria
CALGARY - 17th Ave./37th St.
CALGARY - Crowfoot Terr. NW
CALGARY - Brentwood/Charle
CALGARY - Centre/Beddingtn
CALGARY - Stewart/Richmond
EDMONTON - 104th Ave./115 St.
EDMONTON - 23 Ave./56 St.
EDMONTON - 66 Ave./178 St.
EDMONTON - 109th St./23rd
GRD PRAIRIE - 114th/100th
HALIFAX - Lacewood/Dunbrack
LONDON - Richmond/Fanshawe
MAPLE RDG - Lougheed/216th
NORTH BAY - Shirf/Algonqun
TIMMINS - Algonquin//Water
TORONTO - Humbertown Plaza
TORONTO - Avenue Rd./Fairlawn
TORONTO - Bayview/Millwood
WESTBANK - Hwy 97/Gossett
WINDSOR - Tecumseh/Annie
VANCOUVER - 13th/Main
VANCOUVER - W. Broadway/Blen
VICTORIA - Mckenzie/Shelbourne

50 New Stores Added

AIRDRIE-Main/Center
AYLMER-Chemin d'/Fraser
BOWMANVILLE-King/Lambert
CALGARY-Shawville/162nd
CALGARY-32nd/36th Ave.
CALGARY-High Street
CALGARY-17th Ave/6th St.
CHATEAU-St.Jean/Francis
CHATHAM-St.Clair/McNaugh
COTE ST LUC-Cote/Silvers
DOLLARD-DES-St-Jean/Rogr
EDMONTON-avenue road
FORT ST. JOHN-93rd/96th
GATINEAU-Belle/Bowl Maln
HALIFAX-Quinpool/Robie
HAMILTON-Dundurn Plaza
HULL-St. Joseph/Marquete
KESWICK-Queens/Glenwoods
KIRKLND-St Char/Ant Fucn
KIRKLND-St.Charls/Kirkln
KITCHERER-Weber/Fergus
MDCNE HT-Carry/Trn Cnda
MISSISSAUGA-Erin/Erin Ml
MONTREAL-Sher/Honore-Bea
MONTREAL-Ste-Cathrn/Fort
NEPEAN-Greenbank/Larkin
OAKVILLE-Monastery/Notng
ORLEANS-Innes & Portebello
OSHAWA-Taunton/Ritson Rd
OTTAWA-St.Laurent/Smythe
PENTICTON-Main/Rosetown
PETRBRGH-Chemong/Wolsely
PIERREFONDS-Des Sources
PINCOURT-Cardinal/Autort
QUEBEC-St Dorthy
REGINA-Albert/Parliament
SASKATOON-8 St/Cumberlnd
SHERWOOD PARK-Nottingham
ST.ALBERT-Bellerose/Albe
ST.CATHARINES-Lake/Scott
ST.HUBERT-Cousin/Gaetan
ST JOHNS-Torbay/McDonald
SUDBURY-Regent/Paris
TORONTO-King and Liberty
VANCOUVER-Robson/Cardero
N VANCVR-Brooksbnks/Main
WATERLOO-Lincoln/Univers
WELLAND-Niagara/Thorold
WHITBY-Baldwin Street South
WINNIPEG-Lakeshort Blvd

careksims

jjasper said:
God I hope so along with Prison Break, 24, and From Hell

also it would be cool if at some point they announced The Alien and Die Hard Triologies as well as True Lies although that is probably asking too much

Yes! I really do want Aliens on Blu-Ray.

jjasper

New Blu-ray Disc announcements from MGM at the Sixth Annual Home Entertainment Summit: DVD & Beyond in Century City, Calif., didn’t come as a huge surprise.

A new participant in the high-definition format war was unexpected, however.

Starz Home Entertainment President Bill Clark announced during an executive session with MGM VP of Marketing Julia Simmons that his company will release the first season of the company’s “Masters of Horror” collection on Blu-ray in the fourth quarter of this year. Other Starz catalogue titles also are in line for a Blu-ray release. The news came the same day that Blockbuster announced that Blu-ray would be the only high-definition disc available in some of its stores.

“If Blu-ray wins [the format war against HD DVD], all catalogue would go [Blu-ray], we’d hope,” Clark said.

MGM’s Simmons said another 10 to 12 titles are set for Blu-ray release within the next year, including The Sergio Leone Anthology (A Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More/The Good, The Bad and The Ugly/Duck, You Sucker).

For anyone that wants to know about Masters of Horror season one

Edit: These are Anchor Bay's so the rumor of their announcement for Blu Ray was correct so maybe Haloween is going to happen (and hopefully Evil Dead 1 and 2)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
from hidefdigest:

'Freedom 1' Offers First Look at HD DVD Twin-Format Disc
The first US "twin-format" HD DVD/DVD release (the anime title 'Freedom 1') doesn't hit store shelves until June 26th, but our Kenneth Brown got a sneak peak this week, and tells all in his just-posted review.

Not to be confused with double-sided HD DVD/DVD combo discs, twin-format discs can contain up to three layers of recorded content on a single-sided disc. 'Freedom 1' uses two of those layers -- a 15GB HD DVD layer, and a 4.6GB standard-def DVD layer.

Looking at the disc itself, Kenneth says you'd never guess it's anything special. Unlike combo discs, one side has a printed label, while the other side looks just like a normal HD DVD disc. Pop it in an HD DVD player or a standard-def player, however, and the twin-format disc starts to work its magic, auto-detecting the player format and hopping to the proper layer without the user having to make any selection.

As for video quality, Kenneth says this first-ever anime release to hit high-def disc in the US looks excellent, boasting "vivid colors, perfect black levels, and crisply detailed linework." Considering the program's running time of only 25 minutes, arguably that's no great feat for a 15GB HD DVD, but it is an encouraging sign for both Microsoft and the disc's distributor Bandai, who reportedly worked together to tweak the VC-1 encode specifically for anime.

original.pjpeg

original.pjpeg

As if a brand-new disc type and a newly-tweaked codec weren't enough, 'Freedom 1' is also notable for its inclusion of several more-advanced HDi-enhanced extras, including a customizable picture-in-picture track, and some additional supplementary features accessible only through your HD DVD player's internet connection.

I don't care if you're a blu ray fanboy, this is some cool stuff.

SRG01

EnGarde said:

:lol Why is the Edmonton area (ie. including Sherwood Park and St. Albert) getting three new stores when it already has four? :lol

edit: Oh dear, it seems as though I totally misread the post. :(

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
VanMardigan said:
Why is it confusing the market? Now you're just being difficult, amirite?

So let's see, in addition to have HD-DVD/DVD Combo/Flipper Discs, HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo/Flipper Discs (Total HD, FU Warner). Now we have HD-DVD/DVD Combo Discs on one side, probably under another name.

*sigh*

Anyone who hopes for a single format, and chooses one of the formats that is ahead and has some logical reasons why it may succeed is clear a fanboy, doncha know.

On the other hand, picking the underdog and rooting for them even after announcements that suggest that the format is on shaky legs is *not* fanboy behavior.

Crystal clear.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Suikoguy said:
So let's see, in addition to have HD-DVD/DVD Combo/Flipper Discs, HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo/Flipper Discs (Total HD, FU Warner). Now we have HD-DVD/DVD Combo Discs on one side, probably under another name.

*sigh*

The combo discs, and these discs, have the same basic purpose. The cool thing about these (besides the tweaked vc-1 on this title) is that you have dual format without losing the coveted disc art. Are you confused? No, you're not.

Like you consistently referring to blu ray fanboys just for the hell of it in your last few posts?

It happens both ways. Y R U mad? I was specifically referring to blu ray fanboys, but yet I wasn't calling everyone a blu ray fanboy. That much should've been obvious. Not to you, though, since I'm guessing you (and apparently ignatz) think I called you and others here a fanboy (which you may or may not be).

jjasper

What about those of us that bought the underdog because there was a price mistake and got it with 5 movies for only ~$50 more than upscaling DVD players.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
jjasper said:
What about those of us that bought the underdog because there was a price mistake and got it with 5 movies for only ~$50 more than upscaling DVD players.

Obviously, you're a fanboy as well.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
jjasper said:

Not to bestow titles, but at long as you bought it, understanding the higher risk of failure, and you don't go defending it every other post, then your perfectly level headed :)

I3rand0 said:
IDK MY BFF JILL

That commercial pisses me off

Pristine_Condition said:
Fifth Element Replacement program CONFIRMED!

Don't know if this was posted in another thread or what. Posting it here FOR GREAT JUSTICE (via High Def Digest):

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...emaster_and_Replacement_Exchange_Program_/705

Good deal for all concerned.

More details from the email I just received:

Dear Valued Consumer,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment products.

To receive an exchange for your Fifth Element Blu-ray disc, please return your disc (case not needed) to the following address:

SPHE Consumer Support
PO Box 157
Neenah, WI 54957
Attn: 759627

Please be sure to include your return address (no PO Boxes) and a copy of this email. Your replacement will be shipped to you via Fed Ex Ground. The disc will be sent out after July 17th.

Regards,

SPHE Consumer Affairs Team

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz Mouse said:
On the other hand, picking the underdog and rooting for them even after announcements that suggest that the format is on shaky legs is *not* fanboy behavior.

Good thing I bought mine BEFORE the Blockbuster announcement. whew, that was close!!

and you don't go defending it every other post, then your perfectly level headed

wft? Can't defend a format you bought on a message board?!!?!?!?? NO DEAL!!

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
Obviously, you're a fanboy as well.

Well obviously.

Anyway the Freedom Vol. 1 is a great idea but I am not too cool with spending $27.99 (amazon price) for 25 minutes of run time.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
VanMardigan said:
Y R U mad?
Y R U suddenly SMSing your response? I'm not mad, I just thought it was ironic for you to call out teiresias for being "difficult" given the way you've been calling out blu ray fanboys so liberally.

I was specifically referring to blu ray fanboys, but yet I wasn't calling everyone a blu ray fanboy. That much should've been obvious. Not to you, though, since I'm guessing you (and apparently ignatz) think I called you and others here a fanboy (which you may or may not be).
I didn't think you were referring to me or anyone specifically but it's needless baiting. First time you did it, I figured I'd let it go and chalk it up to being 'cute' but now you've done it more than once and in light of calling out teir as being difficult when he has a perfectly valid point, it's time to put the spotlight on it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
jjasper said:
Well obviously.

Anyway the Freedom Vol. 1 is a great I dea but I am not too cool with spending $27.99 (amazon price) for 25 minutes of run time.

25 minutes?? wtf?? I got it for $22, but even at that price.......hmmm. Let me read more about this disc's extras. You just got me second guessing my pre-order. :lol

and in light of calling out teir as being difficult when he has a perfectly valid point

:lol

teiresias

djkimothy said:
I hope retailers pull the obsolete versions of 5th element off shelves. I don't want to go through the replacement process. :(

The new disc may have slightly different box art (the banner at the bottom is different I think, but not sure) and it will include a Dolby TrueHD track too, so as long you check the audio specs and it has a Dolby TrueHD track you should be good to go with the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom