• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
25 minutes?? wtf?? I got it for $22, but even at that price.......hmmm. Let me read more about this disc's extras. You just got me second guessing my pre-order. :lol

and in light of calling out teir as being difficult when he has a perfectly valid point

:lol

:lol did you not even read what you posted?

VanMardigan said:
As for video quality, Kenneth says this first-ever anime release to hit high-def disc in the US looks excellent, boasting "vivid colors, perfect black levels, and crisply detailed linework." Considering the program's running time of only 25 minutes, arguably that's no great feat for a 15GB HD DVD, but it is an encouraging sign for both Microsoft and the disc's distributor Bandai, who reportedly worked together to tweak the VC-1 encode specifically for anime.

djkimothy

teiresias said:
The new disc may have slightly different box art (the banner at the bottom is different I think, but not sure) and it will include a Dolby TrueHD track too, so as long you check the audio specs and it has a Dolby TrueHD track you should be good to go with the new one.

Oh yes! I forgot about that. I'll try to remember that when it comes out. :D

I really like the idea of the HD/SD on one side tech, however, it's useless. The only advantage to that is to completely replace the DVD version, which is wishful thinking. Blu-ray had one as well (well before Toshiba did) with a 25gb/9gb but it was too expensive to make and didn't make sense so studios dropped it.

Maybe down the road in a few years when the format war is over and HD format(s) is making grounds on SD, studios can use something like this to completely replace DVDs.

http://www.physorg.com/news2510.html

Sorry Van and jjasper, it's just the number of "bluray fanboy" comments thrown around in the last few days (not directed at me) seems so hyprocritical considering they're coming from people who are standing up for the underdog, typical fanboy behavior. Van, you are suddenly throwing the term around a lot, though, as kaching notes.

If people were calling me a "one format fanboy" I'd accept that immediately. You bet I am.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz Mouse said:
Sorry Van and jjasper, it's just the number of "bluray fanboy" comments thrown around in the last few days (not directed at me) seems so hyprocritical considering they're coming from people who are standing up for the underdog, typical fanboy behavior. Van, you are suddenly throwing the term around a lot, though, as kaching notes.

If people were calling me a "one format fanboy" I'd accept that immediately. You bet I am.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't care if I'm called an HD DVD fanboy. Feel free. Oh, and jjasper, I meant read more about the supplements (which still seem sort of skimpy). I'm sort of torn now.

dkj, we've been through this before. Many times. The flexibility that a dvd/hd dvd allows is well worth it to me. The fact that it's all on one side is just icing, since so many of you kept whining about disc art whenever the flippers were brought up. Just dig back to the last debate to see why I love dual format discs so much.

www.thedigitalbits.com
First, there's more good news for Blu-ray Disc fans today, and this first one is not insignificant. Starz Home Entertainment (which owns Anchor Bay) officially announced, at the DVD & Beyond conference in L.A., that they're going to begin releasing titles on Blu-ray Disc format before the end of the year. The expected titles will include the complete first season of their Masters of Horror series, as well as other catalog titles.

Also today, MGM Home Entertainment revealed that they'll have at least 10 to 12 Blu-ray Disc titles out in the next 12 months, including the complete Sergio Leone Anthology box set (A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Duck, You Sucker). As you may recall, MGM had previously announced a number of Blu-ray titles at CES in January, only to have them delayed along with Fox's announced titles. This would seem to indicate that both studios may be close to making new official re-announcements. Great news indeed.

Starz Home Entertainment has released a wide array of TV series on DVD over the years:

3rd Rock from the Sun
The Benny Hill Show
Bobby's World
The Commish
Crime Story
Doogie Howser, M.D.
Forever Knight
Game Over
The Greatest American Hero
Grounded for Life
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
Highlander: The Raven
Highlander: The Series
Hunter
The Incredible Hulk (2 of the 3 TV-Movies)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker
Masters of Horror
Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
Profit
ReBoot
Renegade
Roseanne
Silk Stalkings
Sledge Hammer!
Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends
Three's Company
Titus
Tripping the Rift
Xena: Warrior Princess

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
If it makes you feel any better, I don't care if I'm called an HD DVD fanboy. Feel free. Oh, and jjasper, I meant read more about the supplements (which still seem sort of skimpy). I'm sort of torn now.

Oh gotcha

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
VanMardigan said:
Just so we're clear, this response was about just being difficult, amirite?

Why don't you tell us a little more in detail how multiple hybrid HD formats don't *at all* confuse the market related to the actual HD disc formats?

VanMardigan said:
dkj, we've been through this before. Many times. The flexibility that a dvd/hd dvd allows is well worth it to me. The fact that it's all on one side is just icing, since so many of you kept whining about disc art whenever the flippers were brought up. Just dig back to the last debate to see why I love dual format discs so much.

Huh? I'd love the single sided HD/SD combo. Exactly, it's no secret I loath flippers. However, I'm looking at this from the Studio's perspective.

Clearly, they can't use 4 layers otherwise we would have seen 30gb/4.7. The problem is, it's still broken tech unless they can get 30gb/8.4gb or on Blu-ray's side 50gb/8.4gb. Then we're talking.

I do not want HD releases compromised due to disc, hence why I've always been against Warner's half--assed THD discs.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
kaching said:
Just so we're clear, this response was about just being difficult, amirite?

Why don't you tell us a little more in detail how multiple hybrid HD formats don't *at all* confuse the market related to the actual HD disc formats?

I don't know how to answer that without knowing what confuses you about combo discs or these discs. They play on your HD DVD player. They play on your DVD player.

Help me out, what part of that is confusing to you?

If you were an HD DVD consumer, what about that would trip you up?

You guys should be reading AnimeOnDVD.com if you aren't already. The webmaster reviewed Freedom a couple weeks ago and was really annoyed with the whole web interactivity on the disc.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
jjasper said:
:lol Its ok, if HD DVD went belly up tomorrow I wouldn't care as long as Toshiba sent me my 5 movies.
You sir are a true consumer and i applaud your dedication for ripping off corporations for free things!

im dead serious, free is good

VanMardigan said:

It's somewhat cool (if still limited in size) but it's hard to get excited about it or even acknowledge it when it's prefaced with the "fanboy" swipe.

I might buy such discs, they'd be convenient. But I'm not thrilled or anything.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
distantmantra said:
You guys should be reading AnimeOnDVD.com if you aren't already. The webmaster reviewed Freedom a couple weeks ago and was really annoyed with the whole web interactivity on the disc.

The issues seemed to be that they would've rather the content have been on the disc than having to access it and download it to the player. That's fair. Also, the image downloadable content was apparently not working at that time.

Still, it seems like something cool to mess around with. We've been hearing about web interactivity for a while.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
VanMardigan said:
Help me out, what part of that is confusing to you?
Where did I say it confuses me? I said the market, as did teiresias.

If you were an HD DVD consumer, what about that would trip you up?
Considering we have cases of people mistakenly buying the HD DVD version of Planet Earth when they only wanted the DVD version, documented just a few pages back, what about how easy it to confuse people is a mystery to you? Taking into account potential consumers of high-def discs in general, not just "HD DVD consumers" it's bad enough we have the two formats, right?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Starz Media coming on board BR is good. Starz Media = Manga Entertainment. Manga Entertainment = Evangelion Movies, Ninja Scroll, Macross Plus, etc. I wonder if any of those will make the jump.

Kintaro said:
Starz Media coming on board BR is good. Starz Media = Manga Entertainment. Manga Entertainment = Evangelion Movies, Ninja Scroll, Macross Plus, etc. I wonder if any of those will make the jump.

Well, Manga originally solicited a Blu Ray release for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex -- Solid State Society, but then retracted it.

I still think we'll see SSS on Blu Ray by Christmas.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
kaching said:
Where did I say it confuses me? I said the market, as did teiresias.

Considering we have cases of people mistakenly buying the HD DVD version of Planet Earth when they only wanted the DVD version, documented just a few pages back, what about how easy it to confuse people is a mystery to you? Taking into account potential consumers of high-def discs in general, not just "HD DVD consumers" it's bad enough we have the two formats, right?

Unlike Planet Earth, anyone who makes a mistake with the CLEARLY BRANDED Hd dvd flippers or these new dual discs won't suffer a penalty. If they are mistaking it for a dvd, the discs will still work on their players, so no problem for them (besides the higher price).

This isn't a new format, this isn't confusing. Both the combo discs and these dual discs are branded as HD DVD products. This has nothing to do with the new branding for Warner's TotalHD discs. Those I'd agree can confuse, but that's another topic entirely.

Raistlin

Flo_Evans said:
But are the copies blockbuster/netflix/ect buys counted in total sales?

I don't believe so.

Studios will include the revenue when talking about total revenue, etc ... but they don't list it as sales to my knowledge.

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
I don't care if you're a blu ray fanboy, this is some cool stuff.

My problem with it is that it can only be 3 layers. That means either the DVD version is gimped ... or the HD version is.

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
The combo discs, and these discs, have the same basic purpose. The cool thing about these (besides the tweaked vc-1 on this title) is that you have dual format without losing the coveted disc art.

Instead, you lose video and sound quality and/or content.

I'd rather lose the disc art :)

Raistlin

DarkJediKnight said:
I really like the idea of the HD/SD on one side tech, however, it's useless. The only advantage to that is to completely replace the DVD version, which is wishful thinking. Blu-ray had one as well (well before Toshiba did) with a 25gb/9gb but it was too expensive to make and didn't make sense so studios dropped it.

Maybe down the road in a few years when the format war is over and HD format(s) is making grounds on SD, studios can use something like this to completely replace DVDs.

http://www.physorg.com/news2510.html

Unless someone brings out a dual/dual version ... let it burn in hell like the similar HD DVD / DVD one.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
meh, I think it's enough, especially for animation. Isn't Happy Feet a 15GB title? That looks phenomenal. It's just not a big deal for anyone who's not an extreme videophile/audiophile, I would think.

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
meh, I think it's enough, especially for animation. Isn't Happy Feet a 15GB title? That looks phenomenal.

>_< It's HD-30.

And you can't compare hand-drawn animation to CG.

Regardless, the only reason this title works out is because it's short as hell.

It's just not a big deal for anyone who's not an extreme videophile/audiophile, I would think.

What?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
womfalcs3 said:
It could mean Gizmodo knows... they just won't name names.
Most likely.

foxyboxing.jpg

God bless foxyboxing.

captive

Captain N said:
I picked up Bridge to Terabithia today..anyone else get the movie? I'm off to watch it right now.
I was thinking about getting it. Im a sucker for fantasy and magic type stuff.

Anyway, i just preordered my parents and my Onkyo 705 from JR.com for 720 shipped for each. Cant wait to get it.

Captain N said:
I picked up Bridge to Terabithia today..anyone else get the movie? I'm off to watch it right now.

Unless you read the book it's probably not what you expect it to be but it's still good. And captive, it's not really fantasy at all.

captive

EnGarde said:
Unless you read the book it's probably not what you expect it to be but it's still good. And captive, it's not really fantasy at all.
really? My mom saw it and said she liked it. /shrug.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
VanMardigan said:
Unlike Planet Earth, anyone who makes a mistake with the CLEARLY BRANDED Hd dvd flippers or these new dual discs won't suffer a penalty. If they are mistaking it for a dvd, the discs will still work on their players, so no problem for them (besides the higher price).

This isn't a new format, this isn't confusing. Both the combo discs and these dual discs are branded as HD DVD products. This has nothing to do with the new branding for Warner's TotalHD discs. Those I'd agree can confuse, but that's another topic entirely.
As pointed out by Onix, there are still tradeoffs. It adds another layer of complexity in considering the new HD formats. It's not a matter of what happens if they make a mistake of buying a hybrid HD DVD, it's a matter of the confusion that's engendered in the first place and whether they ever get past that. When you've got some high profile industry types not even getting the basics right, like the fact that both HD formats are BC with DVD, it shouldn't be out of the question to consider that consumers could be confused by the distinction between BD, HD DVD and its hybrids, no matter how clearly labeled and easily distinguished you think these products are.

Mirimar

captive said:
really? My mom saw it and said she liked it. /shrug.

The commercials are deceiving. If you're expecting a typical fantasy story, it's nothing like that. It's more of a testament to the imagination and deals with serious real-life issues. Parents taking their kids to see this film had them leaving mostly in tears, at least from what I saw when I watched it.

captive

DarkJediKnight said:
BD+ is now done. Fox is now expected to make announcements tomorrow regarding titles. Happy 1st Birthday, Blu-ray!
About damn time FOX. Now just lower your ridiculous MSRP.

And what do you think the average mom would enjoy?
A story about giant mechs and fairies or a love story between two kids?
Uh? Ok, you know my mom?
Get out of here with that shit, my mom loves fantasy and Lord of the Rings type stuff.
Furthermore, for most movies outside of chick flicks both of my parents and myself enjoy the same type of movies. Mind your own shit before you butt into others.

Back to actual blu-ray talk
We've received word directly from MGM late this afternoon that despite earlier reports to the contrary, the studio has not announced any new Blu-ray titles for this later year. The studio says that the Home Media Magazine article that broke the story earlier today was erroneous, and HMM has since removed the text pertaining to MGM's fourth quarter Blu-ray plans from their online story. An unedited version of the text from our original article on this topic follows below:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...Reports_of_Fourth_Quarter_Blu-ray_Revival/710

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom