• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LJ11 said:
Hastings is on board for the inevitable digital distribution system that will be making its way across Vista PC's several years down the line. I can see the writing now, "Only on Windows Vista." Just my hunch.

I hope this fails big time.

Songs I get with the size being relativly small. Movies I don't.

Add the Fee of the ISP and the Movie, id rather go to the store, buy the movie and eat while there.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
distantmantra said:
I just got an email from Columbia House that they'll start carrying Blu ray and HD-DVD titles this fall. Good to know, since I need to buy one more title by next May to fulfill my membership obligation.

Isn't Columbia House BMG owned?! Why would they carry HD DVD, since Sony has a major share in BMG?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
captive said:
Wow CNNmoney claiming blockbuster will have more than 170 blu-rays for rentals in all their stores.
http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/18/news/companies/blockbuster_bluray/?postversion=2007061807

Idunno if its down for maitenance, it just came up with "cgi-bin" directory.
edit speak of the devil its back up.

I have a hard time believing blockbuster is going to carry nearly every single BRD on the market (or close to it)... Im betting that 170 number is either an error, or includes the online service. I just dont see them stocking movies like "Trading Places" in BRD in stores... when im sure DVD rentals of said title are next to nothing.

StoOgE said:
I have a hard time believing blockbuster is going to carry nearly every single BRD on the market (or close to it)... Im betting that 170 number is either an error, or includes the online service. I just dont see them stocking movies like "Trading Places" in BRD in stores... when im sure DVD rentals of said title are next to nothing.

I think you're right, StoOgE-- it seems like the kind of factiod that could get scrambled/misunderstood easily. I wonder what kind of selection we will see.

My local mom&pop has both BD and HD-DVD, but their selection is basically new movies plus whatever seems like it will be popular.

Raistlin

The media explosion begins ...

http://www.dailytech.com/Blockbuster+Sides+With+Bluray+Disc+in+HighDef+Format+War/article7716c.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-Blockbuster-Blu-ray.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

NO ONE CAN STOP MR. DOMINO!

200px-Mrdomino.jpg

M3wThr33

Banned
Onix said:

This is not a big strike against HD DVD.I look at it as BlockBuster shooting themselves in the foot and by doing so are doing no favors to BlueRay whatsoever.I realize fanboys and morans won't be able to understand that, but expect most that peruse here understand it fully.
:lol Yes. Getting rid of the few hundred HD-DVD fanboys will DESTROY Blockbuster's business as they take the first step toward a single HD disc future.

Raistlin

M3wThr33 said:
:lol Yes. Getting rid of the few hundred HD-DVD fanboys will DESTROY Blockbuster's business as they take the first step toward a single HD disc future.

Chemo said:
Holy ****ing shit. I cannot believe some of those responses.

The sad reality is the the HD DVD / BluRay sections at AVS are literally Gamefaq's forum level.

I guess it just goes to show that 'men' never really grow up :lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I need some help.

How do you access the test patterns on Sony blu-ray discs?

At a movie's main menu, key in the number 7669 and a series of HD test patterns begins to play

Darobga

Even though the booklet explaining how to access the test patterns was included on some Ghost Rider BD's, the patterns themselves are NOT on the disc, and thus 7669 will not work on that particular title..

Raistlin

Kolgar said:
Eh, it's a format war. Shit happens. :lol

Now Sony, just make sure that BD-Java stuff works on your PS3, okay???

That'll be interesting if they can pull it off. In reality, you need two video processors to do it.

CELL should be powerful enough to BS that ... but memory could become a problem.

Darobga said:
Even though the booklet explaining how to access the test patterns was included on some Ghost Rider BD's, the patterns themselves are NOT on the disc, and thus 7669 will not work on that particular title..

What the....dammit!!

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Onix said:
That'll be interesting if they can pull it off. In reality, you need two video processors to do it.

CELL should be powerful enough to BS that ... but memory could become a problem.

That one fast forward option on the PS3 plays back the video 2x with no frame skipping, right? I'm sure Cell can handle some PiP ;)

Appleseed sequel coming to high-def formats!

Anime on DVD said:
Warner Home Video Snags Appleseed: Ex Machine (04:20 PM EDT): Warner Home Video announced today that they have secured the worldwide (excluding Japan) home video and television rights to the new Appleseed: Ex Machina produced by John Woo. Warner will be distributing the production in an array of home video formats and broadcast configurations. Appleseed: Ex Machina is slated for a 2008 release and will be presented in "an incredible high definition format disc, as well as standard definition DVD". A 2-disc collectors set – containing extra bonus materials – will also be released simultaneously.

Raistlin

captive said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol
The hd dvd guy spins from the first words out of his mouth.
OMG he talks about the prices this is like AVS on TV.

:lol

It's great. I love the argument about price.

Yeah ... it's helped so much so far :lol

Even the commentator is like wtf after a while.

He's not even directly answering questions at the end ... he sidetracks it to discussion on online being mandated.

It's like he went to AVS and created a talking points list of things that need to be discussed ... and just barrels through them regardless of the discussion :lol

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Onix said:
:lol

It's great. I love the argument about price.

Yeah ... it's helped so much so far :lol

Even the commentator is like wtf after a while.

He's not even directly answering questions at the end ... he sidetracks it to discussion on online being mandated.

... and just barrels through them regardless of the discussion :lol
I love the first words out of his mouth "this is a non-event." Oh really fool, thats what CNBC has you on to talk about this "non-event."
It's like he went to AVS and created a talking points list of things that need to be discussed
I thought the exact same thing.

(neutral)captive
Joe Six-Pack:
posting for the common man
(Today, 08:19 PM)
Oh snap when did that happen? :lol i can dig it.
Can i get a hyperlink to the post, personally i thought it was a good rant. ;-)

Petrarca

Banned
I haven't been in this thread for a very long time, cuz I don't feel like kicking a sick dog....but I allow myself one more pleasure this time

:lol :lol HD-DVD :lol :lol

Raistlin

captive said:
I love the first words out of his mouth "this is a non-event." Oh really fool, thats what CNBC has you on to talk about this "non-event."
I thought the exact same thing.

(neutral)captive
Joe Six-Pack:
posting for the common man
(Today, 08:19 PM)
Oh snap when did that happen? :lol i can dig it.
Can i get a hyperlink to the post, personally i thought it was a good rant. ;-)

:lol Didn't see your new sig.

So awesome!!!

Petrarca said:
I haven't been in this thread for a very long time, cuz I don't feel like kicking a sick dog....but I allow myself one more pleasure this time

:lol :lol HD-DVD :lol :lol

Welcome back :D

Hey ... didn't you used to be pro-HD DVD?

I3rand0

Saw this on another forum (CAG) on the same subject (first post quoted):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132555&page=47

not sure if youve seen it. but toshibas including a HD DVD drive & HDMI output in every laptop they make in 2k8. they sell about 10 million a year.

I never saw any news on this subject (ie I think this is bullshit) but having worked at Best Buy in the PC department I can honestly say even if they do something like this it would be suicide from a financial standpoint. If people can save $50 by not getting a DVD drive in their notebook they will stick with the CD-RW.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I just tried it with Ghost Rider on my PS3, I can't seem to get it to work.

Did you do it with the remote or with the on-screen controls? I remember it not working when I used the remote, then I tried it with the on-screen controls and voilà.

Killthee said:
Did you do it with the remote or with the on-screen controls? I remember it not working when I used the remote, then I tried it with the on-screen controls and voilà.

I used the on-screen controls since I don't have a remote for my PS3 yet. Well, it would seem to futile now seeing as someone stated earlier that Ghost Rider doesn't seem to have Sony's blu-ray test patterns.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I3rand0 said:
Saw this on another forum (CAG) on the same subject (first post quoted):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132555&page=47

I never saw any news on this subject (ie I think this is bullshit) but having worked at Best Buy in the PC department I can honestly say even if they do something like this it would be suicide from a financial standpoint. If people can save $50 by not getting a DVD drive in their notebook they will stick with the CD-RW.

This news is true. Toshiba says it plans to put HD DVD drives in all of its laptops in 2008.

While the manufacturer currently provides optional HD DVD drives for its laptops, Toshiba Senior Vice President Hisatsugu Nonaka said today at a news conference that all Toshiba laptops will come with HD DVD drives next year. "The demand is there; people want to watch their favorite movies in high-definition on the road," explained Nonaka.

Phoenix

Onix said:
170!??!?! Damn ... that's a good chunk of the current releases.

If true, this is awesome!

I have it on good authority that it is true. Barring some gigantic money hat, this is a done deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom