• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Phoenix said:
I have it on good authority that it is true. Barring some gigantic money hat, this is a done deal.
(neutral) Phoenix
intern.opps@sonybmg.com
(Today, 09:50 PM)

o_rly.jpg

Snap 99 pages, 1 more to go!

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
This news is true. Toshiba says it plans to put HD DVD drives in all of its laptops in 2008.

While the manufacturer currently provides optional HD DVD drives for its laptops, Toshiba Senior Vice President Hisatsugu Nonaka said today at a news conference that all Toshiba laptops will come with HD DVD drives next year. "The demand is there; people want to watch their favorite movies in high-definition on the road," explained Nonaka.

From a PC standpoint - specifically a laptop standpoint - I don't thin the demand is there.

Not to many people care to watch HD movies on their laptop. What WOULD make a difference, is if their writers were up to snuff. However, until we know what's in these laptops ... that's a problem. They've been having big problems getting dual-layered writers working.

Quite the opposite with BD. Dual-layer writers where available well before BD50 movies came out ... and HD DVD is still having problems.

It should be noted that several manufacturers are offering BD drives. While it isn't an all-of-nothing movie like Toshiba, the number of companies offering BD drives is higher. The top players being Sony and Apple. (HD DVD is effectively dead to the Apple market).

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Onix said:
Come on guys ... 100 pages ... we can do it!!

and to think, I'm only #3 for most posts this thread :p
i think we will hit 100 tomorrow. ;-)
Who is second and first for posts in this thread, and how do you find such information?

jjasper

click on the number of replys

DarkJediKnight 280
Ignatz Mouse 216
Onix 208
djkimothy 200
jjasper 152
VanMardigan 148
StoOgE 146
Petrarca 138
captive 131
ManaByte 127
The Main Event 116
distantmantra 113
Suikoguy 110
Mrbob 85
mrklaw 75
Oni Jazar 72
mckmas8808 70
rubso 61
Bebpo 59
ChrisJames 58
Crayon Shinchan 57
wasting 54
Kleegamefan 52
teiresias 49
kaching 43
SanjuroTsubaki 42
Chemo 41
Alcibiades 41
AgentOtaku 40
XMonkey 38
Midas 38
Cheebs 38
fortified_concept 38
Pristine_Condition 33
Bad_Boy 32
Zaptruder 32
methane47 29
Y2Kev 28
Captain N 28
SRG01 27
JB1981 27
TAJ 27
sonycowboy 26
plagiarize 26
HyperionX 24
WULFER 24
DarienA 24
Argyle 23
Kolgar 23
Frankfurter 23
Forsete 22
DoctorWho 21
Days like these... 21
BlueTsunami 20
Warm Machine 20
Matrix 19
Meier 19
TheJesusFactor 18
beermonkey@tehbias 18
bud 18
el Diablo 18
yacobod 18
Christopher 17
C4Lukins 17
Kabuki Waq 17
LJ11 16
maharg 16
Marconelly 16
Ponn01 16
drohne 15
chubigans 15
shidoshi 14

there are a lot more

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
captive said:
i think we will hit 100 tomorrow. ;-)
Who is second and first for posts in this thread, and how do you find such information?

DarkJediKnight and IgnatzMouse. Click on the number of replies of a thread in the thread list.

Onix said:
170!??!?! Damn ... that's a good chunk of the current releases.

If true, this is awesome!

1,700 stores stocking 170 movies...That's almost 300,000 Blu-ray movies sold right there, even if the stores only carry one copy of each movie...

If that Lieberfarb guy wants to talk about disc sales being so important, how does an extra 1/3 of a million in Blu-ray sales over and above Blu-ray's already nearly 3-to-1 sales ratio sound?

:lol

Holy crap. Has anyone seen the latest Universal reviews? They should change their name to "Uni-reversal" or "Sony 2006". Horrendous picture quality on pretty much the majority of their releases in the last few months.

Raistlin

DarkJediKnight said:
Holy crap. Has anyone seen the latest Universal reviews? They should change their name to "Uni-reversal" or "Sony 2006". Horrendous picture quality on pretty much the majority of their releases in the last few months.

the hate continues :p

Fifth Element Replacement program CONFIRMED!

Don't know if this was posted in another thread or what. Posting it here FOR GREAT JUSTICE (via High Def Digest):

Following weeks of rumors, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has finally confirmed the planned release of a remastered version of'The Fifth Element' for Blu-ray, as well as a "Replacement Exchange Program" for consumers unhappy with the original release.

Now, in an extremely rare move, Sony will not only be re-issuing 'the Fifth Element' on Blu-ray in a newly remastered version due in stores on July 17, but also offering a "Replacement Exchange Program" for owners of the original version who may be unhappy with their purchase.

Sony is currently accepting preliminary consumer information for the exchange program, and will contact interested parties closer to the release of the remastered version on exact instructions on how to exchange their discs. Simply contact the company via the email address or phone number listed below, and provide your name, mailing address, and phone number.

Phone: (800) 860-2878

Email: consumer@sphecustomersupport.sony.com

The new version of 'The Fifth Element' will be presented in upgraded 1080p video (no codec yet available), along with uncompressed PCM and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 surround tracks. Supplemental features will remain identical to the original, now-discontinued release.

For those wishing to purchase the new version of 'The Fifth Element' at retail when it hits stores on July 17, list price will be consistent with the previous, with Sony offering the remastered 'Fifth Element' at an MSRP of $28.95.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...emaster_and_Replacement_Exchange_Program_/705

Good deal for all concerned.

M3wThr33

Banned
That's a surprising move considering they didn't need to to that.

Speaking of recalls, is the new Superman collection available yet?

M3wThr33 said:
Isn't there an HD-DVD takeover watch thread? Is that 30% the size of this one? :lol
I believe that is actually a suicide watch thread for you know who, I'm surprised he hasn't come in here to try and spin this yet. Has he finally given up?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
DarkJediKnight said:

i haven't been reading hd-dvd reviews, but that's not too surprising when they're rushing to get a ton of catalog stuff released. i guess they'll make shitty bds this time next year :/

jjasper

Onix said:

That's not entirely true, Pirates 2 is using it right now with Liar's Dice. Which I tried on Saturday before watching the movie to prepare for 3 (**** the haters I thought 3 was pretty good) and it seemed well integrated and pretty seemless and the shots of the players while you were playing was pretty well done, but I am sure if you play it more than 1 or 2 times you will start getting a lot of repeated responses.

Edit: Also I got my Matrix collection in the mail yesterday and I just wanted to send out a big **** you to Warner for having The Matrix Experience be on a ****ing DVD.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Liar Liar, Bruce Almighty, and Daylight seem to be the disappointing Uni titles you're talking about. Still, Lost in Translation was more than decent, and Breach plus Frightener were good, so I wouldn't say it is a majority of their releases or even use "months" to explain the average PQ/AQ streak. Still, it is disappointing.

As for the post rankings.............WOW!!! Considering how late I got in on this thread, I can't believe I'm at number 6. I really enjoy it though, so hopefully I've contributed positively, even though I'm on the HD DVD side. :)

jjasper

Just checked and my Crutchfield order shipped today. What sucks is now I need that money I spent on it because after I bought it 5 days later the HD on my computer died so now I have to get it repaired.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
DarkJediKnight said:

Ive bought a few of these releases that are getting thrown under the bus, and actually found them to be pretty decent. Lost in Translation especially. I think a big chunk of their problem is the movies they are chosing to release, which are older, and in alot of cases were not visually stunning movies to begin with..

Their new releases all look phenomenal still. its the catelog releases where they arent striking a new master that are getting iffy reviews. I wish they would strike a new master for all new releases, but Universal needs to get alot of movies out, and I doubt striking a new master for Liar liar is going to be very profitable.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Amazon says my Lost in Translation copy was apparently lost in the mail. They sent a replacement out, but I'm bummed. It happens I guess.

Meanwhile, I spent Father's Day sunday playing poker with some friends while watching the entire Matrix Trilogy HD DVD. The 2nd and 3rd are generally disappointing but we were focusing on the poker while all the dialog was happening, then pausing to watch the awesome fight scenes. It was funny, cause we'd be midway through a betting round and just stopped to watch the action scenes. Great looking set, and it's a really loud movie too.

Perhaps also we are seeing the results of them rushing to release a lot of movies. I haven't counted, but I imagine Universal has released more movies than any other studio by a wide margin.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ignatz Mouse said:
Perhaps also we are seeing the results of them rushing to release a lot of movies. I haven't counted, but I imagine Universal has released more movies than any other studio by a wide margin.

thats part of the issue.. its not that the encodes are bad.. you arent running into macroblocking, or color banding on any of these things.. you are running into old masters. Which is the most time consuming process in redoing old movies.. it seems unless they recently redid the master for a DVD release (Born on the 4th of July) you just arent getting a new master from Universal.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So did you hear the one about the Blockbuster deal being a $700 million dollar payola from Sony to Blockbuster? Apparently, somebody's cousin is an owner of a BB store and got that explanation as to why his store has to stock Blu Ray now.

That amount is simply incredulous, but I wouldn't be surprised if money exchanged hands for that.

methane47

VanMardigan said:
So did you hear the one about the Blockbuster deal being a $700 million dollar payola from Sony to Blockbuster? Apparently, somebody's cousin is an owner of a BB store and got that explanation as to why his store has to stock Blu Ray now.

That amount is simply incredulous, but I wouldn't be surprised if money exchanged hands for that.

My dad owns the GameCube hut...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Amir (the Microsoft HD DVD evangelist) responds to the Blockbuster news:

I think that depends on whether you want to believe the reality of what BB said and is doing, or the story people want to say about it . On the former, let me confirm some facts that cannot be disputed.

First, BB will continue to offer HD DVD as it always has. They are not switching formats, at all yet folks make it sound like they are.

Second, they have not looked into the crystal ball and making any kind of prediction. They simply decided that for the rest of their stores, they are going to offer BD and the core stores will continue to offer both. And we are not talking one or two stores. 250 stores, probably in the richest, and highest likelihood to purchase HD metropolitan areas will continue to carry HD DVD. As will their on-line properties.

Third, they are open to changing their stance at any moment and since they already carry HD DVD, expanding to other stores is very easy.

Forth, both formats are struggling as compared to DVD. So weather a few BD titles are available in some remote area of US, when players cost $500+ for BD, is not going to have a material impact on the marketplace.

So yes, it is a positive for BD folks. But the level of hype associated with it, bears little relationship to facts and the impact on the format battle. We signed up Circuit City last year, you didn’t see us go and say BD is in trouble because of it. So while expanding distribution is a good thing, if it does not come at the expense of the other, is simply incremental.

Finally, for people who doubt my statements, this is a video of their COO talking about the whole thing: http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=383736735&play=1. There, despite the reporter encouragements, Nick refuses to say that this is key decision for the industry or that they are predicting the future. Only that for this “nano-second,” the decision to expand distribution of BD format is the right one for them.

This is also consistent with their own press release (http://blockbuster.mediaroom.com/ind...ases&item=727), where they confirm the support for HD DVD as second line (“Company will continue to offer HD DVD titles online and in select number of stores
“). They would not go out of their way to do this if they thought HD DVD did not have strength in the marketplace.

So you see, the situation is far more consistent with our view of the situation, than anything the other side is saying.

Have at it, blu fanboys!!

AMir makes some good points-- the BB exec was very clear that this was not the end, and that their stance was not immutable.

On the other hand, I think he's downplaying it (naturally).

ANd as far as the payola suggestion goes-- if that were true, I think the BB exec *would* have been making this sound like a permanent move. I think that's a little paranoid.

methane47

VanMardigan said:
Amir (the Microsoft HD DVD evangelist) responds to the Blockbuster news:
Finally, for people who doubt my statements, this is a video of their COO talking about the whole thing: http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=383736735&play=1. There, despite the reporter encouragements, Nick refuses to say that this is key decision for the industry or that they are predicting the future. Only that for this “nano-second,” the decision to expand distribution of BD format is the right one for them.

Have at it, blu fanboys!!

Is that the same video that also includes the HD-DVD spokesperson saying that HD-DVD doesn't need extra studio support because of the fact that They are mandated to have online functionality?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
methane47 said:
Is that the same video that also includes the HD-DVD spokesperson saying that HD-DVD doesn't need extra studio support because of the fact that They are mandated to have online functionality?

It was the closest I have seen, as far as studio execs duking it out at Business oriented segments such as that NBC show, to a NeoGAF thread on the subject when the HD DVD guy started spinning around :lol.

Raistlin

jjasper said:
That's not entirely true, Pirates 2 is using it right now with Liar's Dice. Which I tried on Saturday before watching the movie to prepare for 3 (**** the haters I thought 3 was pretty good) and it seemed well integrated and pretty seemless and the shots of the players while you were playing was pretty well done, but I am sure if you play it more than 1 or 2 times you will start getting a lot of repeated responses.

Oh sorry ... I was referring to the more high-end stuff like true PIP, etc.

Yes, Java games, et.c are on a number of disks.

Raistlin

Panajev2001a said:
It was the closest I have seen, as far as studio execs duking it out at Business oriented segments such as that NBC show, to a NeoGAF thread on the subject when the HD DVD guy started spinning around :lol.

too true.

jjasper

Ok HD DVD guys I have a few questions:

on this rebate that I am going to fill out I have to choose one from each group:

A) Apollo 13, Seabiscuit, The Chronicles of Riddick
B) Casablanca, Constantine, Dukes of Hazzard
C) Four Brothers, Tomb Raider, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
D) The Rundown, Blazing Saddles, U2: Rattle and Hum
E) U-571, The Perfect Storm, We Were Soldiers

any advice?
Also how long does it usually take for these to come in?

Argyle

StoOgE said:
thats part of the issue.. its not that the encodes are bad.. you arent running into macroblocking, or color banding on any of these things.. you are running into old masters. Which is the most time consuming process in redoing old movies.. it seems unless they recently redid the master for a DVD release (Born on the 4th of July) you just arent getting a new master from Universal.

You know, I bought a few of the early BD discs that were getting thrown under the bus, and guess what, although they are not great, they are certainly watchable and better than broadcast HD. The main problem with most of them is, guess what, a poor master (The Fifth Element in particular, the disc that HD DVD fanboys point and laugh at, really suffers from a poor master - the print they used is very dirty and has tons of scratches and other problems).

So, although it sucks that we have these substandard releases on both formats, at least it seems to be something that the BD side has moved away from. (With Universal cranking out those catalog releases - why bother making them look good? If you already have an HD DVD player what else are you going to buy? It's not like they have much competition on that format...) On the other hand once HD DVD is dead, hopefully the quality bar has been set high enough that the competition between studios is enough to keep them from getting lazy :p

djkimothy

VanMardigan said:

For $700 million dollars, I'd like BB to not even stock HDDVD. Smells like bullshit. :/

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
jjasper said:

on this rebate that I am going to fill out I have to choose one from each group:

A) Apollo 13, Seabiscuit, The Chronicles of Riddick <-Depends too much on taste for me to give advice in this group.
B) Constantine
C) Four Brothers or Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow <-Again, go with your gut
D) The Rundown
E) We Were Soldiers

Those are my suggestions.

If you already have an HD DVD player what else are you going to buy? It's not like they have much competition on that format...)

Is that a F***ing joke or are you really that ignorant about what movies are out on HD DVD?

Argyle

VanMardigan said:
Those are my suggestions.

If you already have an HD DVD player what else are you going to buy? It's not like they have much competition on that format...)

Is that a F***ing joke or are you really that ignorant about what movies are out on HD DVD?

Well, it's true - basically they are only competing against Warner and Paramount? They are the king of their little molehill (and if you look at the sales numbers, you see that they aren't doing too badly, lack of competition sure helps)...

C4Lukins

jjasper said:

any advice?

I own zero of these movies on HD DVD, so I am just going by which ones I like the best.

A) Apollo 13. All three are decent
B) Casablanca. A true classic. Constantine is a fun movie and is probably a better showcase.
C) Sky Captain I guess. The other two are pretty terrible. Not that Sky Captain is anything great.
D) Blazing Saddles easy.
E) The Perfect Storm or We Were Soldiers.

jjasper said:

any advice?

If you're asking for recommendations based on PQ and not the film in question, then I suggest

A) Chronicles of Riddick
B) Casablanca
C) you're on your own :lol
D) U2: Rattle and Hum
E) We Were Soldiers (perfect storm's a really weak transfer)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Argyle said:
Well, it's true - basically they are only competing against Warner and Paramount? They are the king of their little molehill (and if you look at the sales numbers, you see that they aren't doing too badly, lack of competition sure helps)...

Really!!! REALLY!!

lol, you have no clue what you're talking about. HD DVD has about as many titles available for purchase as Blu Ray. Fox and Disney have been mostly non-existent so far. You should really learn more about HD DVD before you post again.

edit: for example, pick a random week, look at the releases for both formats, then figure out how HD DVD is somehow lacking choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom