• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...ure-in-Picture_Commentary_with_HD_DVD_300/722

Warner Home Video is planning to push the boundaries of high-def technology with the July HD DVD release of '300,' which is set to include the world's first "blue screen" picture-in-picture commentary.

Warner first announced '300' in early May for a July 31 release on both Blu-ray and HD DVD, with initial specs including an In-Movie Experience video commentary track (exclusive to the HD DVD version).

Though IME tracks are common to many HD DVD releases, '300' will be unique in that it will include what Warner is dubbing the first-ever "Blue-Screen Picture-in-Picture Version." Throughout the track, director Zack Snyder will present the pre-CGI-enhanced version to the finished film, allowing viewers to compare the entire movie in both rough and completed forms.

The HD DVD will include several other additional exclusive features, including the "Vengeance and Valor" interactive game, a "Pick Your Favorite Scenes" function allowing users to assemble clips and create a unique montage, as well as other web-enabled downloadable features to be announced.

The remaining specs will be identical to both the HD DVD and Blu-ray versions of '300,' including standard audio commentary, multiple featurettes, a suite of "Webisodes" and deleted scenes.

Warner has set a $39.95 list price for the HD DVD/DVD combo version, while the pared-down Blu-ray will sell for $34.95.

Note that these separate-but-unequal versions of '300' are the latest in what appears to be new trend for Warner, following the recent dual-format release of 'Blood Diamond,' which the studio issued in a stripped-down Blu-ray version earlier this month, ahead of a more full-featured, IME-enhanced HD DVD edition due on July 3.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
VanMardigan said:
The add-on can be had for about $160 on Ebay. You can just rent the HD DVD's if you don't want to buy them. And I'm sure you can just sell it back and get most of your investment back on Ebay when you're done. It's not like Blu Ray is somehow going to suffer or that HD DVD will somehow make a huge weekly leap because you bought an add-on and rented some movies. If the $160 is doable for you, I recommend you check out Matrix, King Kong, and obviously Blood Diamond and 300. The IME stuff is very cool. If I had to switch to Blu, I'd miss those the most.

Wait, what?

I meant crayon, sorry.

Maybe... but I was thinking 99$ for the HD-DVD sweet spot. It's not even a huge deal right now. When I get my projector, that's when HD movies will matter most to me. Right now, I'm just building my collection... by the time I get my projector, I imagine HD-DVDs will come close to croaking.

djkimothy

Ignatz Mouse said:
Old, just a few posts above.

Don't miss an opportunity to pimp HD-DVD though, do you Mr Neutral?

;)

Well, good for the HDDVD owners. But Warner better max out the Blu-ray release and not gimp on the audio.

300 will have 2 master track on the Blu-ray version: A 20bit True HD and a 16 bit PCM. I want to compare the audio on my system. This is going to be Madness!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
web-enabled downloadable features to be announced

why don't they just put it on the disc? I don't get the whole 'woot, web download stuff'. I have a 30 Gigabyte disc in front of me - you can't spare space for a couple of commentary voiceovers or trailers?

All you'll do is piss off the vast majority of people who don't have their HD player hooked up to the internet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
PS3 is a stand-alone player if people want it to be, surely?

Yeah, but what YOU want it to be does not change the fact that is is not, by definition, a standalone. Doesn't matter how you personally view it. You're the first person I've heard that actually argues that the Ps3 should be counted as a standalone. It's such an inane argument. I'd understand if you'd prefer that Toshiba not make the distinction in the first place, but once they do, you have no point.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this point with you. You've made it obvious at this point that you don't have a solid handle on this yet. The article in question was slanted towards blu ray, but yet you question the one part that you can't really argue.

painey

just saw an advert for Ghostrider (in the UK) and it said "out on DVD and Blu-Ray monday" which took me by suprise.. never seen a film advertised as being out on either HD format before over here

Flo_Evans

I find it really strange that the planet earth ads on discovery channel only mention the DVD version... its one of the best HD discs I own! pimp the HD discovery channel!

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
First Look Reveals Full Specs for Debut HD DVD Title 'The Contract'

First Look Entertainment has unveiled full specs for their maiden HD DVD release 'The Contract,' which is set to boast several exclusive high-def extras.

First Look originally announced 'The Contract' for a July 24 HD DVD release, day-and-date with the standard-def DVD. Now they have revealed complete tech specs and supplemental details, and the release looks like it will easily hold its own against any next-gen offering from a major studio.

In addition to 1080p/VC-1 video, the HD-30 dual-layer disc will feature DTS and Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 surround tracks (both 1.5mbps). Supplemental material will mirror the standard-def release, including the "Inside 'The Contract' featurette, a still gallery and theatrical trailer.

Exclusive to the high-def version will be a new picture-in-picture video commentary, dubbed the "First Look Inside Look."

Though PIP features have a good number of HD DVD titles, they've so far been reserved for major theatrical hits from the big studios. 'The Contract' represents the first truly low-budget, limited release indie feature to receive such interactive attention on high-def.

First Look has not announced Blu-ray support, and no Blu-ray version of 'The Contract' is currently set for release.

Unless there is a mistake in those specs ... I'm not seeing shit for audio.

WTF ... 1.5MBs.

methane47

VanMardigan said:

Yeah, but what YOU want it to be does not change the fact that is is not, by definition, a standalone. Doesn't matter how you personally view it. You're the first person I've heard that actually argues that the Ps3 should be counted as a standalone. It's such an inane argument. I'd understand if you'd prefer that Toshiba not make the distinction in the first place, but once they do, you have no point.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this point with you. You've made it obvious at this point that you don't have a solid handle on this yet. The article in question was slanted towards blu ray, but yet you question the one part that you can't really argue.

Standalone: thanks Dictionary.com
stand-a·lone /ˈstændəˌloʊn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[stand-uh-lohn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation Computers.
–adjective
1. self-contained and able to operate without other hardware or software.
–noun
2. a device or program with these characteristics.

Sounds like the PS3 is a standalone by definition.. since its able to play Blurays by it's self without other hardware or software..

methane47

Just to be complete

Set top Box: Thanks Wikipedia.com

The term set-top box (STB) describes a device that connects to a television and some external source of signal, and turns the signal into content then displayed on the screen.

So whats that you say? A ps3 is not a set top box by definition? ... :D

But neither is any Bluray player or HD-DVD player

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
Right, so how is it that Toshiba is using it as a convenience only (for tie ratios) when there's no way to separate it?

Because they DO separate it when talking about players. Even though it is likely impossible to get an exact stat on the # of PS3's used for BD ... they are basically isregarding that userbase entirely.

They can't have it both ways.

Raistlin

jjasper said:
273_0.jpg

And like its HD DVD counterpart, no English dub or subs.

Why god Why!!!?!!?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Fine methane, the Playstation 3 is a standalone blu ray player. That is what you are saying, right?

I guess you were trying to play devil's advocate, so I don't know why I bothered, but:
A standalone device is able to function independently of other hardware. This means it is not integrated into another device. For example, a TiVo box that can record television programs is a standalone device, while a DVR that is integrated into a digital cable box is not standalone. Integrated devices are typically less expensive than multiple standalone products that perform the same functions. However, using standalone hardware typically allows the user greater customization, whether it be a home theater or computer system.

source

The Ps3 is an integrated device. I feel stupid for even having to dig that crap up. This is so retarded.

Flo_Evans said:
I find it really strange that the planet earth ads on discovery channel only mention the DVD version... its one of the best HD discs I own! pimp the HD discovery channel!

Those are actually DVDs for the version that Discovery aired, with Sigourney Weaver doing the narration. They're not for the BBC original version that you can buy at the store on DVD, BluRay, and HD-DVD.

VanMardigan said:
Fine methane, the Playstation 3 is a standalone blu ray player. That is what you are saying, right?

I guess you were trying to play devil's advocate, so I don't know why I bothered, but:
A standalone device is able to function independently of other hardware. This means it is not integrated into another device. For example, a TiVo box that can record television programs is a standalone device, while a DVR that is integrated into a digital cable box is not standalone. Integrated devices are typically less expensive than multiple standalone products that perform the same functions. However, using standalone hardware typically allows the user greater customization, whether it be a home theater or computer system.

source

The Ps3 is an integrated device. I feel stupid for even having to dig that crap up. This is so retarded.

Oh man, did you read carefully what you just quoted? Because PS3 is certainly not integrated into anything. Bluray readers/writers for PC are integrated. PS3 is standalone.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Flo_Evans said:

It's probably for the Discovery Channel version and not the BBC one.

jjasper

About these firmware updates, can I update it without having the player hooked up to a tv? My internet connection is not in the same room as my player and I don't have a tv in this room.

jjasper said:
About these firmware updates, can I update it without having the player hooked up to a tv? My internet connection is not in the same room as my player and I don't have a tv in this room.

You'll need the TV to properly navigate through the menus. You'll probably want to burn it on a CD (I don't think it's up yet on Toshiba's webpage though, it usually takes a few weeks) or you can request one through Toshiba (support).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
kaching said:
Blu-ray fans all look alike to Van.

In my defense, you're all arrogant bastards. It's tough to tell you guys apart. :p

All jokes aside, that was a case of associating crayon's obnoxiousness with chemo's evil avatar. :lol

edit: Oh man, did you read carefully what you just quoted? Because PS3 is certainly not integrated into anything.

Missed the mark by a wide margin, fc. Blu Ray is integrated into the Playstation 3, not the other way around. In any case, it's certainly not a dedicated Blu Ray machine, which would be necessary to fit the description of standalone hardware.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
VanMardigan said:
In my defense, you're all arrogant bastards. It's tough to tell you guys apart. :p

All jokes aside, that was a case of associating crayon's obnoxiousness with chemo's evil avatar. :lol

I have barely posted in nearly two pages. Yet, you've continued to post spin, FUD and just arguing the same dumb points, continually attacked my character, even though you still have no answer for my talking points; what can HD-DVD to stop the factors which are giving BD so much momentum right now.

What the **** Van. Look in the mirror some time you hypocrite.

VanMardigan said:
Missed the mark by a wide margin, fc. Blu Ray is integrated into the Playstation 3, not the other way around. In any case, it's certainly not a dedicated Blu Ray machine, which would be necessary to fit the description of standalone hardware.

PS3 is the definition of a standalone. It doesn't matter it plays games too as long as it can playback movies without the help of any other device. That's why the call them standalones. Intergrated or not it doesn't really matter as long as it has almost the same functionality as any HD player. It's still a standalone.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
No BD or HD-DVD player is truly standalone - they're all really DVD players with tacked on HD capabilities.

VanMardigan said:
Hmmph, last time I go to bat for you guys against Crayon.

nofi

VanMardigan said:

Whether it's a stand-alone or not (fine, let's say it's not before you blow your top) it's still a Blu-Ray player, and should be counted. Lots of people are buying a PS3 to play Blu-Rays.

However, I do have (more than) a solid handle on this, I assure you I know what I'm talking about with regards to Blu-Ray / HD-DVD sales. At least here in Scotland. :)

I did also say that I don't really care either way, something you failed (chose?) to ignore. I'm also not looking for a scrap, that wouldn't benefit either of us dude.

jjasper

DarkJediKnight said:
Just to let you boys know, the Samsung 2nd gen 1200 Blu-ray Player dropped its retail price to $499us.

I wonder how long Toshiba will allow its HD-A20 to sit at the same price now that Sony is passing out free movies too?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I expect the Ps3 to drop in price to at least $499 in the next few months as well. Toshiba is at, what, $399? They would then need to go down to $299. It's becoming clear that they'll have to hit the $199 mark by the end of this year, and the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on will likely retail for $99-$150 as well by this holiday.

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
I expect the Ps3 to drop in price to at least $499 in the next few months as well. Toshiba is at, what, $399? They would then need to go down to $299. It's becoming clear that they'll have to hit the $199 mark by the end of this year, and the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on will likely retail for $99-$150 as well by this holiday.

Yeah I think the HD-A2 will be $199.99 with the HD-A20 at $299.99. Seeing how MS is being with accessory pricing the add on will probably be $149.99.

Sony will probably keep the price of the stand alone around the price of the HD-A20 and the PS3 will probably be 100 more than the stand alones to make Samsung, Panasonic, and others happy.

Edit: I also think by the end of the year the movies themselves will come down in price to the $19.99-$25.99 for new most releases with the combo being +5 more

Jim

rkenshin said:
By mail? Guess you won't see those discs for like 3-4 months

"Please allow eight to ten weeks for delivery". So, pretty much par for the course for these type of things.

Decado

Why is Blu-Ray getting the gimped version of 300?

And someone mentioned that Pan's Labyrinth doesn't have and English dub *or* sub...how is that possible for NA release? The movie is in Spanish :|

jjasper

Decado said:
Why is Blu-Ray getting the gimped version of 300?

At the current time Blu-Ray does not have the ablity to do the IME Warner has in 300. (Which I currently think is debatable since Warner's IME is closer to what Lionsgate does than a true on the fly PiP)

Decado said:
And someone mentioned that Pan's Labyrinth doesn't have and English dub *or* sub...how is that possible for NA release? The movie is in Spanish :|

That was the German Pan's Labyrinth

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just got my PS3 in at work. Have the remote, HDMI cables, etc. waiting at home. Can't wait to go home and try out the Netflix I got--Ant Bully and MST3K: Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. Well, okay, only the first for BR-related reasons.

VanMardigan said:
Those look stunning.

Don't you have a projector too, djk?

My screen size is the same as that guy's - 120" or 10 feet, but my projector is an Epson 1080 Home. He combines 2 sick high end projectors together. I'm not even in his league. I'm stting 12 feet though so I'm probably going to downgrade to a 92" screen. SD tv looks like total shit at 120" at my distance.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wow, in that first picture it looks so real, it's almost as if it's jumping out of the screen.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
VanMardigan said:
Wasting stopped doing the releases thread. Too bad, "Imminent neutral" Universal really stepped up again this week:

Blu-ray

* Black Snake Moan (Paramount)
* Hustle & Flow (Paramount)

HD DVD

* American Me (Universal)
* Army of Darkness (Re-issue) (Universal)
* Being John Malkovich (Universal)
* The Big Lebowski (Universal)
* Black Snake Moan (Paramount)
* Bulletproof (Universal)
* Dead Silence (Universal)
* Freedom: 1 (Bandai Visual)
* Hustle & Flow (Paramount)
* Mallrats (Universal)
* Meet Joe Black (Universal)
* Mystery Men (Universal)
* Unleashed (Re-issue) (Universal)
* The Watcher (Universal)
Ahhh good to be un-banned again, going to catch up real quick with this thread, in no particular order :lol

Im sorry but how did Universal "step up?"
Sure they are pumping out a lot of releases, but outside of Big Lebowski not much to write home about on that list.
I have never even heard of American Me...

:lol @ stanalone hair splitting.
:lol @ having to show toshibas selective PR when including PS3 only to benefit their PR.

@DarkJedi, whats with the geometry issues on that guys screen, is that caused by his camera? Or is that some side effect of two projectors? does he know about it if it isnt a camera caused problem.

Meh @ blu-screen stuff for 300. Im more excited Warner is including High Def audio on blu-ray for a change, this trend better continue...

congrats Matrix and Astrolad about your high def purchases.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
M3wThr33 said:
How do you COMBINE projectors?

It's two G90 CRT projectors I think. One projector does the left side of the image, the other the right side. Very expensive to not only purchase those projectors (and run them together), but to keep them properly maintained as well.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6456115.html

JUNE 27 | LOS ANGELES—Warner Home Video looks to be pushing the launch of its dual-format high-definition disc, Total HD, into 2008, from the second half of this year, as was originally planned.

Studio VP of sales and planning and operations Dan Miron said at a session during the Entertainment Supply Chain Academy conference here today that Warner will release its first titles in Total HD in early 2008.

Separately, Warner senior VP of marketing management Steve Nickerson said the studio hasn't yet set a launch date but acknowledged it's unlikely it will be in the fourth quarter.

Nickerson said the studio wants to launch the discs with 10 to 20 titles so retailers can merchandise them together in one section and they don't get lost at retail.

"There is no expiration date on the viability of this concept, so we’re not in a rush to do it," Nickerson said. "We’ll do it when it makes sense and when it's right."

Earlier, Warner had said the dual-format discs could be available by late third quarter or early fourth quarter this year.

Total HD holds one Blu-ray Disc and one HD DVD on opposite sides of the same disc.

Miron acknowledged that the additional SKU might further crowd already bulging retail shelves. But the studio is committed to satisfying consumers.

In releasing standard-definition, HD DVD and Blu-ray versions of films, “our research shows that there is demand for each of those products,” said Miron. “We are trying to evaluate [how to best treat] each one of these releases.”

To scale down its standard-definition SKUs, Miron said Warner is increasingly putting fullscreen and widescreen versions of films on opposite sides of one disc.

“That is one less SKU to sell,” he said. “With high-def, we’re trying to put Blu-ray and HD DVD on the same disc. Total HD is not coming until first-quarter 2008. We will find shelf space.”

Does that mean that New Line won't be releasing any titles this year?!?!

Interestingly, bolded the full screen and widescreen part. If retailers can carry multiple copies of both full screen and widescreen DVDs, they can surely carry both HD DVD and Blu-ray (shooting down the argument that retailers do not want to waste their shelves space by carrying multiple HD formats, until Total HD, that is, if it ever takes off).

Discuss.

Chemo

The Main Event said:
Alright.

They're pushing it because now they are rapidly losing faith in HD DVD and when Blu-ray cleans up over the next two quarters (thanks to the PlayStation 3), they'll see no need to follow through with Total HD and will focus on supporting Blu-ray either exclusively or, at the very least, primarily. Particularly once BDJ is finalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom