• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
nofilter said:
Another post-Blockbuster article that completely ignores the PS3, the single-biggest selling Blu-Ray player on the market.

I'm all for both formats, but these PRs are ridiculous.

Funny thing is that while it completely ignores the PS3, news are great for Bluray. Since Sony introduced the 500$ model sales are up 50% when Toshiba is lowering their forecast by 44% to meet the decreased demand. HDDVD is sinking fast when Bluray is selling better and better even in the standalones the only area HDDVD is still ahead (mainly because PS3 is such an amazing bluray player).

jjasper

:lol That isn't even the best PR release of the day.....

Sony Signs Earnhardt, Jr. For New Blu-ray Marketing Push
Tue Jun 26, 2007 at 07:55 AM ET
Tags: High-Def Disc Marketing, High-Def Gaming, Sony (all tags)

Shifting its Blu-ray marketing machine into high gear, Sony Electronics is enlisting NASCAR racing's biggest star for a new high-def ad blitz.

Late last week, primary Blu-ray backer Sony announced that it had signed Dale Earnhardt, Jr., considered today's most popular and recognizable NASCAR driver (and, of course, son of racing legend Dale Earnhardt, Sr.) to serve as the company's spokesperson in a new marketing campaign touting its high-def products.

The campaign will feature Earnhardt in ad spots across multiple media, hawking a variety of Sony high-def offerings, including Blu-ray players, HDTV sets and the PlayStation 3.

Though he's perhaps as well-known for being NASCAR's reigning "blonde party animal" as he is for his driving skills, Earnhardt is the sport's current top product pitchman, enjoying lucrative and high-profile endorsements with such top brands as Budweiser and Addidas. He is also a well-known avid gamer, which Sony says was instrumental in choosing him as their new high-def ambassador.

"His love for our products was a big benefit," said Stuart Redsun, Sony's senior VP of corporate marketing.

Sony's not the first electronics company to hire a celebrity spokesperson to hawk its high-def products. As we first reported n early May, Toshiba has teamed up with 'Sopranos' star Michael Imperioli to anchor their own extensive marketing push for HD DVD, including multiple television spots that are currently running across various cable and local network outlets.

Whether or not Earnhardt will be seen in the new Sony campaign attempt to mow down Imperioli, or any other rival HD DVD-supporting NASCAR drivers, remains to be seen. Stay tuned...

Flo_Evans

jjasper said:
:lol That isn't even the best PR release of the day.....

that will get the walmart crowd on board :lol

HD-DVD has chris from the sopranos though! have you guys seen these spots? :lol

edit: ah I see the PR mentions them :p

Flo_Evans said:

They run on Universal HD and Discovery HD, I always wondered who that guy was.

djkimothy

Flo_Evans said:

It takes too long to get to the message, I would have changed the channel after 10 seconds. :/

methane47

this is Dale earnheart jr right?

JeffGordon_WC.jpg

kidding... ... but i actually was confused for a second

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
nofilter said:

Has the Ps3 EVER been counted along with the standalones? How long have you been following this? I don't think anybody is taking the Ps3's impact lightly at this point, but if you're comparing standalones (like the article in question), then you don't include Ps3. And that still doesn't account for the statement I posted. You're making an irrelevant argument about Ps3, I'm referring to the article's view on the format wars.

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
Has the Ps3 EVER been counted along with the standalones? How long have you been following this? I don't think anybody is taking the Ps3's impact lightly at this point, but if you're comparing standalones (like the article in question), then you don't include Ps3. And that still doesn't account for the statement I posted. You're making an irrelevant argument about Ps3, I'm referring to the article's view on the format wars.

Toshiba does when they can use it to their advantage (Tie ratio)

gofreak said:
The Lives of Others is coming to BD in August. Really liked it..

What a fantastic film, much better than Pan's Labyrinth in terms of Oscar nominated foreign films. Not sure if I'd ever watch it again, though.

Counting standalones has been a tactic for spin ever since the PS3 was released. The fact that it is a long standing tactic does not make it somehow *not* a tactic.

That said, doesn't that 60% figure represent a decrease from the last number we saw a few weeks ago? Soon they won't even be able to spin that anymore.

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
Is there a way to separate software sales between Ps3/BR standalones when doing tie ratio?

Nope, just as there is no way to know the total number of PS3's being used as BR players.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
jjasper said:
Nope, just as there is no way to know the total number of PS3's being used as BR players.

Right, so how is it that Toshiba is using it as a convenience only (for tie ratios) when there's no way to separate it?

And ignatz, this (nor the last article I posted) are Toshiba PR, so the standalone numbers aren't a "tactic" in that case, just numbers being provided.

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
Right, so how is it that Toshiba is using it as a convenience only (for tie ratios) when there's no way to separate it?

I was mainly talking about that PR they put out a while ago that claimed to have the most players on the market (it excluded the PS3) and then claimed to have the higher tie ratio (counting every PS3 sold as a player)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
jjasper said:
I was mainly talking about that PR they put out a while ago that claimed to have the most players on the market (it excluded the PS3) and then claimed to have the higher tie ratio (counting every PS3 sold as a player)

If they didn't mention "standalone" in the "most players" part, I agree it was underhanded. The second part, as you said, they have no choice on.

djkimothy

jjasper said:

I believe this is the Press release in question....

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070611/aqm077.html?.v=9

LOS ANGELES, June 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Three weeks into its aggressive spring retail and marketing campaigns, the North American HD DVD Promotional Group today announced HD DVD is significantly ahead in the dedicated consumer electronics player market with 60% of all high definition set-top players sold. At the same time, high definition movie sales for HD DVD reached an all time high for the month of May, exceeding 75,000 movies the last week of May alone.

Overall high definition sales hit a record last week as well, hitting $5.2 million in actual consumer spending, which was 31% higher than the previous record for the two formats. This highlights the growing consumer appetite for HD content across the board.

Sales of dedicated consumer electronics players are a critical indicator in the adoption of the high definition formats, given the high attach rates to these players. With the successive price drops by Toshiba, weekly player sales doubled in April when the price dropped from $499 to $399, doubled again during the first week of the latest promotion in late May, and increased again last week.

"Toshiba's latest promotional efforts are clearly resonating with consumers and showing that price is king when it comes to hardware," said Craig Kornblau, chairman of the North American HD DVD Promotional Group. "Behind the increase in sales for hardware and movies, you're seeing fundamentally lower manufacturing costs and ease of authoring for HD DVD. That's the type of model that can scale."

Consumers have purchased 150,000 dedicated HD DVD consumer electronics players which are holding a 4 to 1 movie attach rate over competing formats. The Toshiba HD-A2 model has also reached the top-seller mark among all DVD players on Amazon.com, and is officially the best-selling next-gen DVD player model to date.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So it seems like they were specific in mentioning set top boxes and dedicated machines. While I can see why that would anger Blu Ray fans, I also understand why Toshiba is doing it.

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
So it seems like they were specific in mentioning set top boxes and dedicated machines. While I can see why that would anger Blu Ray fans, I also understand why Toshiba is doing it.

Oh I understand why they are doing it. It is a PR that's how it works. From reading that one though they make it out to have not only sold the most players but also sold the most disks.

teiresias

Toshiba is allowed to do PR statements like that, they have to counteract the Blu-Ray fanboys that buy eight copies of every Blu-Ray disc from Best Buy after all.

jjasper

What I think is easily the worst "horror" movie in the last 10 years is being released on blu ray:

Just in time for Halloween, Lionsgate Home Entertainment will scare up the Rob Zombie fearfest 'House of 1,000 Corpses' on Blu-ray.

Due in stores September 18, 'House of 1,000 Corpses' earned instant notoriety during its original 2003 theatrical release, thanks to Zombie's reverence for '70s exploitation cinema and over-the-top Grand Guignol violence. The film has since earned a devoted cult following on video, and spawned the 2005 sequel 'The Devil's Rejects' (which Lionsgate already released on Blu-ray last August).

'Corpses' will hit high-def in bloody fashion, featuring a 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 transfer and both uncompressed PCM 7.1 surround and Dolby Digital EX Surround tracks.

Extras will mirror most of what is currently found on the standard-def DVD version, including audio commentary with Zombie and friends, a featurette, cast and crew interviews, a still gallery and theatrical trailers.

Lionsgate has set a $29.95 list price for the Blu-ray.

djkimothy

teiresias said:
Toshiba is allowed to do PR statements like that, they have to counteract the Blu-Ray fanboys that buy eight copies of every Blu-Ray disc from Best Buy after all.

Hold your horses, true story waht I'm about to say...

I went to best buy and I was heading towards the HD movie section when I saw this guy with 6! Blu-ray films. That's right 6! All different ones. So the viral marketers are now in Ottawa buy misc. Blu-ray films. Mana Byte was right! :eek:

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wasting stopped doing the releases thread. Too bad, "Imminent neutral" Universal really stepped up again this week:

Blu-ray

* Black Snake Moan (Paramount)
* Hustle & Flow (Paramount)

HD DVD

* American Me (Universal)
* Army of Darkness (Re-issue) (Universal)
* Being John Malkovich (Universal)
* The Big Lebowski (Universal)
* Bulletproof (Universal)
* Dead Silence (Universal)
* Freedom: 1 (Bandai Visual)
* Mallrats (Universal)
* Meet Joe Black (Universal)
* Mystery Men (Universal)
* Unleashed (Re-issue) (Universal)
* The Watcher (Universal)

methane47

VanMardigan said:

They are spinning like crazy.. Because they are comparing apples with oranges.. simple as that... You know it... I know it.. Everyone knows it.. It's not that its true.. its the use of the information.. That is why for the past couple months after NPD day.. Sony releases a statement saying that the playstation brand has made more money than Nintendo/MS what ever.. EVEN though it is true.. it is twisting the facts and information to portray yourself in a good light....

The reason why it is spin because the facts they are presenting are not indicative of the truth of the current situation of HD sales... So when Universal releases a statement saying that they CONTRol the standalone HD hardware market and no mention of the PS3 (which IS a standalone Bluray player for probably thousands of people) Or when they release a statement saying that Tie ratios are sooo much higher on HD-DVD than on Bluray.. Without any mention of The Actual SALES .. it is spin..

Because they are SPINNING the facts to create a positive impression despite the real state of the market.

VanMardigan
Conceit hath no Fury like VanMardigan
(Today, 02:17 PM)
Reply | Quote

VanMardigan said:
Wasting stopped doing the releases thread. Too bad, "Imminent neutral" Universal really stepped up again this week:

Blu-ray

HD DVD

* American Me (Universal)
* Army of Darkness (Re-issue) (Universal)
* Being John Malkovich (Universal)
* The Big Lebowski (Universal)
* Bulletproof (Universal)
* Dead Silence (Universal)
* Freedom: 1 (Bandai Visual)
* Mallrats (Universal)
* Meet Joe Black (Universal)
* Mystery Men (Universal)
* Unleashed (Re-issue) (Universal)
* The Watcher (Universal)

Yeah, Universal is pumping out a lot of releases, but lately most of their catalog titles haven't been too impressive in the PQ and AQ departments...

I will be getting Mallrats and The Big Lebowski here in a day or two. While I don't expect Mallrats to look amazing in HD (it's a Kevin Smith film from the mid 90's), it will be nice to finally own the movie. I'm expecting bigger things out of Lebowski.

-and yeah those PR statements are just stupid. HD DVD is clearly behind right now, but we're barely a year into the format war. They need to take action, as in get more exclusives and advertise much more aggressively, instead of all this PR bullshit which no one gives a rats ass about.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, methane, I understand that. I already said that I understand why that would anger Blu Ray fans.

Oh, and it's Toshiba (in your post), not Universal. Though I can see why you use the two interchangeably. :lol

Finally, I don't understand the tag, though I wouldn't mind it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
double post.

I missed the thread by Main Event.

Chris James: It's not just Uni dropping the ball. Hustle & Flow (Paramount) is apparently garbage PQ, though Black Snake Moan is excellent.

VanMardigan said:
Chris James: It's not just Uni dropping the ball. Hustle & Flow (Paramount) is apparently garbage PQ, though Black Snake Moan is excellent.

Black Snake Moan is also done by Paramount. Every studio on both sides of the format war are going to have some bad transfers and some good transfers. I'm saying that Universal is just shoveling out as many movies as they can right now in order to keep up with Blu-Ray. I enjoy having a lot of choices, but not necessarily at the cost of having a decrease in quality.

jjasper

VanMardigan said:

Yeah catalogs are definately hit or miss.

Damn I just read the Black Snake Moan review on HDD and it got a perfect 5 for PQ stating:

Better still, this Blu-ray(HD DVD) edition of the film features one of the best visual transfers I've seen

That sucks about Hustle and Flow as I was thinking about getting it since I am from Memphis and still haven't seen it.

Edit: :lol As if to counter Black Snake Moan:

unfortunately the video on 'Hustle & Flow' is one of the worst transfers I've seen.

djkimothy

jjasper said:
http://www.anixehd.tv/shop/images/product_images/popup_images/273_0.jpg

And like its HD DVD counterpart, no English dub or subs.

I wanted to like that film... I really did. :(

What of the box set that was released in Europe?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
:lol

Works like a charm.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
It's like the Bat signal,but slower :(

Picked this up :D too bad my HDMI cables havent arrived..

PICT0007.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Warner to Debut First "Blue Screen" Picture-in-Picture Commentary with HD DVD '300'

Warner Home Video is planning to push the boundaries of high-def technology with the July HD DVD release of '300,' which is set to include the world's first "blue screen" picture-in-picture commentary.

Warner first announced '300' in early May for a July 31 release on both Blu-ray and HD DVD, with initial specs including an In-Movie Experience video commentary track (exclusive to the HD DVD version).

Though IME tracks are common to many HD DVD releases, '300' will be unique in that it includes what Warner is dubbing the first-ever "Blue-Screen Picture-in-Picture Version." Throughout the track, director Zack Snyder compares the pre-CGI-enhanced version to the finished film, allows viewers to compare the complete movie in both rough and completed forms.

The HD DVD will also include additional exclusive features, including the "Vengeance and Valor" interactive game, a "Pick Your Favorite Scenes" function allowing users to assemble clips and create a unique montage, and other web-enabled downloadable features to be announced.

The remaining specs will be identical to both the HD DVD and Blu-ray versions of '300,' including standard audio commentary, multiple featurettes, a suite of "Web-i-Sodes" and additional scenes.

Warner has set a $39.95 list price for the HD DVD/DVD combo version, while the pared-down Blu-ray sells for $34.95.

Note that these separate-but-unequal versions of '300' are the latest in what appears to be new trend for Warner, who in the past have usually released identical Blu-ray and HD DVD editions of a title. But that appears to have changed now with both '300' and the recent 'Blood Diamond,' which the studio issued in a stripped-down Blu-ray version earlier this month, ahead of a more full-featured, IME-enhanced HD DVD edition due on July 3.

Oh snap. I know crayon doesn't want me to buy any more HD DVD's, but this is just too good to pass up.

Matrix

Well I know which version of 300 I'm getting now.

I had planned on just picking up the Blu ray version cause I dont really care for combo's,but that blue screen picture-in-picture commentary sounds pretty cool.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
To be honest, I've been tempted to pick up a HD-DVD addon for my 360 because of that IME crap :p

Still not worth it though. Yeah, I'll miss out on IME stuff for a few months, but there'll be years of the stuff with Blu-ray soon enough.

The only other reason I'd get a HD-DVD player is because I've heard it was region free :eek:

Flo_Evans

I not one for director commentary tracks personaly, but that does sound pretty cool!

Is black snake moan getting a Blu-ray release?

Matrix

Flo_Evans said:
Is black snake moan getting a Blu-ray release?

Came out today for Blu ray too.

nofi

VanMardigan said:
Has the Ps3 EVER been counted along with the standalones?

PS3 is a stand-alone player if people want it to be, surely?

VanMardigan said:
How long have you been following this?

Longer than you think... ;)

VanMardigan said:
I don't think anybody is taking the Ps3's impact lightly at this point, but if you're comparing standalones (like the article in question), then you don't include Ps3. And that still doesn't account for the statement I posted. You're making an irrelevant argument about Ps3, I'm referring to the article's view on the format wars.

Why though? AV equipment that plays Blu-rays should count, but for obvious reasons they don't count in HD-DVD press releases. I'm assuming it's the same for Blu-Ray PRs, of course.

The article, such as it was, clearly made the decision to not include PS3s in it's stand-alone players, that's my arguement.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Crayon Shinchan said:
To be honest, I've been tempted to pick up a HD-DVD addon for my 360 because of that IME crap :p

Still not worth it though. Yeah, I'll miss out on IME stuff for a few months, but there'll be years of the stuff with Blu-ray soon enough.

The only other reason I'd get a HD-DVD player is because I've heard it was region free :eek:

The add-on can be had for about $160 on Ebay. You can just rent the HD DVD's if you don't want to buy them. And I'm sure you can just sell it back and get most of your investment back on Ebay when you're done. It's not like Blu Ray is somehow going to suffer or that HD DVD will somehow make a huge weekly leap because you bought an add-on and rented some movies. If the $160 is doable for you, I recommend you check out Matrix, King Kong, and obviously Blood Diamond and 300. The IME stuff is very cool. If I had to switch to Blu, I'd miss those the most.

Wait, what?

I meant crayon, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom