• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemo

Meier said:
I simply cant fathom a future with those hideous blue cases on my shelves. That's the worst part about it.
Yeah man, those blue cases are so gross, red is so much better.

What the ****? It's just a color of plastic.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
When was this meeting when we all decided only one format could survive?

Ods are it wont happen, but there have been cases where two formats (DVD-R and DVD+R) both made it..

To be fair, both formats have outsold LaserDisc, and that survived for a good while... and both formats have WAAAAYYY outsold D Theater.

Its very possible that both formats will hit a point where you can turn some sort of profit on both.. so while one format may be the runaway favorite, its feasible to think (especially since the same encodes can be used on both) some releases (i.e. big releases) will hit both formats for years to come.

Im an HDDVD supported because of HDi and BR+. BRJ should take care of one of my concerns, and I can live with BR+ if I have to.. I'll probably get a dual format player (assuming the Samsung one is good) and call it a day if I have to. I doubt I'll replace any of my HDDVD's, simply because they are perfectly find discs.

StoOgE

Ignatz Mouse said:
Van, nobody ever gets banned for posts in this thread. I don't know why, perhaps no mod is willing to read it. ;)

very possible.

If half the stuff that goes on in this thread made it to an 360 versus PS3 thread everyone in the thread would be banned. :lol

I too prefer the red cases over the blu ones. However, I think, like DVD, over time, the cases will be changed. I hate the quality of both red and blue cases. The snaps are terrible and the leaflet holder isn't tight enough. Garbage IMO.

jjasper

StoOgE said:
Im an HDDVD supported because of HDi and BR+. BRJ should take care of one of my concerns, and I can live with BR+ if I have to.. I'll probably get a dual format player (assuming the Samsung one is good) and call it a day if I have to. I doubt I'll replace any of my HDDVD's, simply because they are perfectly find discs.

As someone who still owns quite a few laserdiscs, it is not worth selling the movies if the format dies as you can still enjoy what you own.

gkryhewy

Ignatz Mouse said:
Van, nobody ever gets banned for posts in this thread. I don't know why, perhaps no mod is willing to read it. ;)

Not true! I got banned for my "inflammatory and completely unnecessary" salivation crack. :lol

methane47

jjasper said:
Yeah but those HD DVD cases are stained with that same Garnet as FSU.

You sir have convinced me to jump on the HD-DVD band wagon...

SEMINOLE FOR LIFE!!!

... and at the battles end she's great so Fight fight fight for Victory
The seminoles of Florida state..

/cries.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, to mix it up (and move away from the crap in the last few pages), why don't we list the last couple movies we've bought with short impressions? Here's my list:

Lost in Translation-Looked good (but soft) from the few scenes I saw before my add-on went ballistic. I don't know why I love this movie. No idea. But I do.

Matrix Trilogy-Not much needs to be said that hasn't already been said. Top notch PQ, and if you skip over the inane dialog of the 2nd and 3rd movies, the action sequences are superb

ManaByte

Gold Member
Columbia House adds HD-DVD and BRD! Never have to set foot in Best Blu Buy ever again!

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s..._it_Will_Add_Blu-ray,_HD_DVD_to_Club_Menu/717

In another step toward the mainstream acceptance of Blu-ray and HD DVD, Columbia House has indicated that it plans to begin carrying both high-def formats in 2007.

The oldest and largest music and video club in the world, Columbia House has thus far stayed outside of the next-gen fray, offering only standard-def DVD titles. However, according to a new statement that recently appeared on the club's official website, it seems the club is gearing up to offer high-def discs before the end of 2007.

In a new addition to the Q&A section of the company's membership FAQ (available only to registered members with a login ID and password), Columbia House has added a general primer on high-definition technology. that ends with the question, "Will Columbia House support both of these new formats?", followed by the answer, "We plan to begin carrying both Blu-ray and HD DVD discs in the fall of 2007."

We should emphasize that Columbia House has not yet released an official press release nor any other confirmation detailing exactly when and how they plan to begin carrying Blu-ray and HD DVD titles, but boasting an estimated 14 million members worldwide, the addition of high-def discs to the club's menu could provide a significant boost in consumer awareness of both high-def formats, if not a considerable impact in sales.

We'll certainly keep you posted on this story as it develops. Stay tuned!

Crayon Shinchan said:
Spinning like a top.

I don't think I said I was completely neutral. Throughout my post history I make it pretty clear that I'm cool with Blu-Ray once Sony and the rest of the BR group get all the pieces in place. That is slowly coming together but I won't be a customer of the format until that happens as I don't want to get burned on featureless players. Hell, initially I wanted a Media Center PC with both drives in it.

Really if you refute the way the BR format was launched and what has happened with the format outside of the titles of movies it has released I'd consider that spin. If you can refute Toshiba's launch going quite smootly that is spin as well.

jjasper

hmm does Toshiba still pull that BS about how Sony gives out free Blu Rays with PS3? If they don't you should cause it is actually true now.

ManaByte said:
Columbia House adds HD-DVD and BRD! Never have to set foot in Best Blu Buy ever again!

:lol whatever

StoOgE

Is Columbia house the place that lets you get 10 free movies, then makes you buy 20 at crazy high prices later?

I allways wanted to do that as a kid and my dad never let me.

Edit: Now I remember why.. the actual deal is good.. but they allways send you a movie in the mail, and if you dont return it, you have to pay for it. F that.

StoOgE said:
Is Columbia house the place that lets you get 10 free movies, then makes you buy 20 at crazy high prices later?

Yeah. I got 12 movies for less than $10, but I only have to buy 2 at full price in the next two years.

StoOgE said:
Edit: Now I remember why.. the actual deal is good.. but they allways send you a movie in the mail, and if you dont return it, you have to pay for it. F that.

You can set it up where they send you an offer every month via email. All you have to do decline the offer and you never get stuck paying for crap you don't want.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Columbia House is better about that crap now, I think. I did the deal, and met my obligations within the year. I just had to pay MSRP (but most times lower) for a few movies. There wasn't any big catch.

I'd do that deal with HD DVD for sure.

StoOgE

distantmantra said:
You can set it up where they send you an offer every month via email. All you have to do decline the offer and you never get stuck paying for crap you don't want.

Thats not so bad. I see they have 5 movies for free, plus another two movies for 35 bucks.. then you have to buy 3 more in two years. I could kill that deal off in one fail swoop (just buy 3 more movies at MSRP) and kill my membership the next day. :lol

Raistlin

So ... I saw how many new pages were added to this thread since yesterday ... and was expecting some sort of new big news or something.

No ... thread's just spiraling into a complete turd.

Great job all!

StoOgE

Onix said:
So ... I saw how many new pages were added to this thread since yesterday ... and was expecting some sort of new big news or something.

Great job all!

You say that like you're new to GAF :lol

Thats how we roll

Meier

methane47 said:
You sir have convinced me to jump on the HD-DVD band wagon...

SEMINOLE FOR LIFE!!!

... and at the battles end she's great so Fight fight fight for Victory
The seminoles of Florida state..

/cries.

The Seminoles have never been conquered.. HD DVD = winner! :D

Petrarca

Banned
Onix said:

Great job all!

it's because the absence of the big news the HD-DVD fanboys dare to come out here and play with us. Right after the Blockbuster news, you couldn't even find one HD-DVD fan here :lol :lol

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
:lol @ " dare to come out here and play with us."

You have to be some sorta joke character.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Matrix said:
:lol @ " dare to come out here and play with us."

You have to be some sorta joke character.

We have wondered that for a while now :lol

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
This HD format war.....

It's all I think about...cant eat,sleep,work.

I cant even tell when someone is joking.

It's hell I tell ya!

djkimothy

If it wasn't for the usefulness of this thread, this would have been locked long ago. Let's not get to that point!

I treat this thread as mostly a convergence of Hddvd and blu-ray news. :D

Matrix

I know one way to summon a mod...

_1168881_reeves150.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
First Look Reveals Full Specs for Debut HD DVD Title 'The Contract'

First Look Entertainment has unveiled full specs for their maiden HD DVD release 'The Contract,' which is set to boast several exclusive high-def extras.

First Look originally announced 'The Contract' for a July 24 HD DVD release, day-and-date with the standard-def DVD. Now they have revealed complete tech specs and supplemental details, and the release looks like it will easily hold its own against any next-gen offering from a major studio.

In addition to 1080p/VC-1 video, the HD-30 dual-layer disc will feature DTS and Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 surround tracks (both 1.5mbps). Supplemental material will mirror the standard-def release, including the "Inside 'The Contract' featurette, a still gallery and theatrical trailer.

Exclusive to the high-def version will be a new picture-in-picture video commentary, dubbed the "First Look Inside Look."

Though PIP features have a good number of HD DVD titles, they've so far been reserved for major theatrical hits from the big studios. 'The Contract' represents the first truly low-budget, limited release indie feature to receive such interactive attention on high-def.

First Look has not announced Blu-ray support, and no Blu-ray version of 'The Contract' is currently set for release.

methane47

06/26/2007 03:35:45 AM EDT
Video Business
Price drops boost high-def hardware.
By Susanne Ault

HD DVD claims 60% market share as Blu-ray quickens pace

Recent price cuts look to be accelerating set-top player sales for both high-definition camps.

Blu-ray Disc manufacturers are still playing catch-up with Toshiba's HD DVD set-top players, which supporters claim represent 60% of the stand-alone high-def player market, with 150,000 units sold through May.

But Sony has reason to feel bullish over the June debut of its $499 second-generation player, which is priced at half the cost of its first-generation player. Certain retailers have enjoyed as much as a 50% jump in sales volume since the model's introduction. In May, Sony also slashed the price of its first-gen BDP S1 players to $799, from $999.

'With the S1, we've seen some really uplifting sales figures since that change,' said Nate Krast, senior product manager at Sony Electronics. 'And we've had a really stellar pre-sale for the [$499] BDP 300. It's even greater than our [$999] BDP S1 launch.'

Crutchfield executive VP of merchandise Rick Souder agrees that Toshiba is far out in the lead in stand-alone sales. But he and other retailers argue that Sony cannot be counted out of the race, due to its relatively strong brand cachet.

'Over the years, Sony has gotten a 20% to 30% premium over brands with the same products and features, [i.e.] cameras, TVs and audio equipment,' said Souder. 'It is a bigger difference between $499 and [Toshiba's] $299 players, but I think the $499 Sony pieces will dramatically increase their share of the [high-def] universe.'

Progressive Retailers Organization director David Workman believes that early adopters are more likely to take a risk on either format, as the initial investment has been lowered.

'It's more of a jump ball now between the formats,' said Workman. 'The format war has prevented early adopters from buying at the more expensive levels, but pricing is coming down. People are going to start making a choice. [Certain] consumers might gravitate toward the brands they are most acquainted with.'

Through 2006, the Harris Poll has named Sony the No. 1 overall U.S. brand for seven straight years, topping Coca-Cola, Nike and others.

Toshiba cut its HD player year-end North American forecasts by about 44%, with player unit sales projected to total 1 million rather than January's 1.8 million forecast. But that fall-off is due to misjudgments about pricing, not competition from BD player sales, counter Toshiba and HD backers. [/me surrreeeeee]

new PR...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Well, what do you know. Another post-Blockbuster article that still lists the format wars as a toss up or suggests that both will survive. No imminent demise for HD DVD apparently.

methane47

Meier said:

I think I was on the other side of the field...

I was behind the goalposts right smack dab inbetween the FSU and miami band..
right after that play my whole entire section threw our FSU towelettes into the Miami Band section.. I was sitting right next to some hot trumpetter girl from Miami..

Me and a line of people just stood up in our seats asking the miami band if they wanted autographs and started telling them maybe next year and stuff..

It was great...

VanMardigan said:
Well, what do you know. Another post-Blockbuster article that still lists the format wars as a toss up or suggests that both will survive. No imminent demise for HD DVD apparently.

That's what you understood from that article? :lol

nofi

VanMardigan said:

Another post-Blockbuster article that completely ignores the PS3, the single-biggest selling Blu-Ray player on the market.

I'm all for both formats, but these PRs are ridiculous.

djkimothy

Rabid Wolverine said:
Anyone notice Paramont are giving Blu-Ray the shaft again with Sound Tranfers.

Back to Dolby Digital instead of DTS HD Lossless.

I've noticed that, I really don't know what's up with them and Warner. They better not botch the Transformers High def release. :/

I find that article to be more of a boost to Blu-ray sides as it indicates an increase in sales for Blu-ray stand alone players. Not that it matters since PS3 sales dwarf (assuming) the stand alones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom