• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azrael

Please let this be true.

http://www.dvdreview.com/news/

In addition to “Masters Of Horror” we have heard mention of another number of Blu-Ray titles from Anchor Bay, scheduled for Halloween. Look out for announcements of John Carpenter’s Halloween, Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead II and George A. Romero’s Dawn Of The Dead and Day Of The Dead to be released on Blu-Ray some time in September or early October.

Small update for Germany (from Media Control/GfK):

Sold discs since the beginning of 2007: Blu Ray 62,000 (of which 57,000 have been sold since the PS3 launch), HD DVD 34,000 (of which 18,000 have been sold since the PS3 launch). Revenue roughly 2m (Blu Ray) vs. 1m (HD DVD). Total available films so far: 115 (Blu Ray), HD DVD 101.
No numbers for last year unfortunately, but Blu Ray's lead should be pretty comfortable overall (both Blu Ray and HD DVD were only available from ~the end of November on in Germany). Probably sth. like ~4-8,000 HD DVDs vs. ~1-2,000 Blu Ray discs were sold back then.

http://www.media-control.de/pressemitteilungen/blu-ray-und-hd-dvd-legen-zu.html

duckroll

I just ordered this yesterday:

51byymjynnL._SS400_.jpg
41yiCpXJZvL._SS400_.jpg

It ships on the same day (27th July) as this, which I'm not getting:

51ysJJhJJWL._SS500_.jpg

Both are also on HD-DVD.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
duckroll said:
It ships on the same day (27th July) as this, which I'm not getting:

51ysJJhJJWL._SS500_.jpg

Both are also on HD-DVD.

O_O

Must buy...even though I am sure to be raped in the wallet by Japanese pricing. who is good for online? Just use amazon?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wtf - $100!?

you have to buy the bluray + DVD together? I already have the bloody DVD.

And Patlabor 2 is coming out in august which is also $100.

And Jin-Roh.

Brofist

Amazon JPN has Patlabor for 7500 yen, which to be honest is still more than I want to pay to rebuy a movie. I'll hear impressions first.

duckroll

kpop100 said:
Amazon JPN has Patlabor for 7500 yen, which to be honest is still more than I want to pay to rebuy a movie. I'll hear impressions first.

That's precisely why I'm skipping out on both Patlabor movies, Akira and Ghost in the Shell. I'm getting WoH because this will be without doubt the must have version after screwed up the R1, screwed up euro R2, and decent Japanese R2 with no English subs (friends can't watch). This one is remastered in HD, has JP and English voice, JP and English subs, and the JP track is even in Dolby TrueHD. Definitely a must have. And if friends like the show after watching it on HD, I can loan them the DVD that comes with it! :lol

I'm just getting this and Jin Roh because I loooooove Jin Roh. Otherwise yeah, Bandai Visual's pricing can suck it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
do all those releases come with at least English subs?

Might try Patlabor 1 and see how the transfer is. Although the R2 Japanese version is fine IMO.

See - even with the raping they still get the occasional gullible idiot :/

VanMardigan said:
Why is anime on HD so expensive? I paid 20 for my copy of Freedom, and it is basically just one episode.

Anime in Japan is ridiculously expensive (my Japanese copy of Ghost in the Shell 2 on Blu Ray was $65), and Bandai Visual is releasing their titles in North America under the Japanese retail model. I'm only picking up Honneamise, other than that, BV can go suck it.

Sony, and others, will sell their anime titles for much less. I'm guessing Paprika will have a $29.99 or $34.99 MSRP when it comes out.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
captive said:
For the optical cables, go to Settings -> BD/DVD settings -> Optical settings and set it to bitstream.
It cant send 5.1 PCM over optical.

Thanks, this worked. I also had to enable Dolby Digital 5.1 in another setting, but I finally got it working. So happy now. I was dying on the inside with a PS3 and stereo sound.

duckroll

mrklaw said:
do all those releases come with at least English subs?

Yes, all of the current batch scheduled have at least subs, and as long as it's available - a dub as well. The US versions that will be released in future will likely be the exact same disc anyway, knowing Bandai Visual. Just pick the movie(s) from the release schedule you really, really like and go with it.

July = Wings of Honneamise, Patlabor
Aug = Patlabor 2, Ghost in the Shell, Steamboy
Sept = Jin Roh, Avalon

druie

captive said:
For the optical cables, go to Settings -> BD/DVD settings -> Optical settings and set it to bitstream.
It cant send 5.1 PCM over optical.

Thank you so much for this. I was having the same problem, and I didn't understand all the language being used (also, there's some type of warning when you select bitstream. So, of course, I never selected it).

But I've got a question--is there a way to do this for the XMB itself? Games (and now movies) both play in DD5.1 for me now, but the XMB doesn't. It's emitting in PCM 2 Channel. And because no sound is registering unless you move the bars, there's a delay through my sound system when you actually do move a bar... like--if I don't move anything, no sound is emitted. When I move it, there is a delay for my receiver to recognize it, and the sound won't play until it kicks in, but if I continue to move the bars, I will hear those until I stop.

The Audio Output Settings options automatically have Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz checked, and even though I've selected DD5.1, it overrides it at the XMB.

It's a minor complaint, but if I could fix it, I'd like to! :D

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
druie said:
Thank you so much for this. I was having the same problem, and I didn't understand all the language being used (also, there's some type of warning when you select bitstream. So, of course, I never selected it).

But I've got a question--is there a way to do this for the XMB itself? Games (and now movies) both play in DD5.1 for me now, but the XMB doesn't. It's emitting in PCM 2 Channel. And because no sound is registering unless you move the bars, there's a delay through my sound system when you actually do move a bar... like--if I don't move anything, no sound is emitted. When I move it, there is a delay for my receiver to recognize it, and the sound won't play until it kicks in, but if I continue to move the bars, I will hear those until I stop.

The Audio Output Settings options automatically have Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz checked, and even though I've selected DD5.1, it overrides it at the XMB.

It's a minor complaint, but if I could fix it, I'd like to! :D

You can't force the XMB to output in 5.1 because the XMB only outputs in 2 Ch. PCM. Furthermore, videos that you play through the XMB interface (that includes everything except for BD movies) will only output in 2 ch. PCM. As for the bitstream warning; IIRC Enabling Bitstream disables the output of uncompressed audio, anything above 5.1 audio i.e. 7.1 (not 100% sure on this one), and Pop-up menu audio.

druie

Killthee said:
You can't force the XMB to output in 5.1 because the XMB only outputs in 2 Ch. PCM. Furthermore, videos that you play through the XMB interface (that includes everything except for BD movies) will only output in 2 ch. PCM. As for the bitstream warning; IIRC Enabling Bitstream disables the output of uncompressed audio, anything above 5.1 audio i.e. 7.1 (not 100% sure on this one), and Pop-up menu audio.

Thanks for the clarification... would you or anyone else happen to know about some potential fix for the audio cut-in delay, though? If it's any help, this is my sound system:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665061024

I actually have my PS3 hooked up with HDMI pass-through in that, and that's how I wanted to transmit audio, but instead of playing through the receiver, the audio goes through to the tv with the picture as well. So, I just settled with optical. Is that typical of how HDMI pass-through receivers function, though, or does an answer exist for me out there?

Oni Jazar

Killthee said:

I wish they would fix this. My receiver doesn't DPLII process 2chPCM so for the XMB I get zero bass and zero surround.

rc213

http://online.wsj.com/public/articl...943-kNVDQFP6HttfagW30Wtx2t2PHwY_20070802.html

Europe Steps Up Probe of New DVD Formats

The HD DVD camp has been lobbying the commission to draw attention to Blu-ray's tactics in the movie capital in a bid to force more studios to put their product on HD DVD, according to people familiar with the situation.

Last ditch effort to stay afloat?
:lol :lol :lol

The Blu-Ray camp should lobby the commission to force Universal to go neutral. :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Toshiba to Add 24p Output to 2nd-Gen HD DVD Players

Toshiba is planning to bring true 24p output capability to two of its its second-generation HD DVD players with a new firmware upgrade due this September.

Adding enhanced functionality to its HD-XA2 and HD-A20 second-gen HD DVD players, Toshiba says the planned firmware upgrade will introduce playback of film-based content at 1080p/24 frames per second (or 24p).

Motion pictures are traditionally captured at 24p for theatrical exhibition, but usually transferred at a frame rate of 30 frames-per-second for home video formats. Though the HD DVD and Blu-ray both allow for the encoding of video at 24p on a disc, no consumer HD DVD players have so far facilitated playback at anything but 30p.

Toshiba has not yet specified an exact version number nor an exact release date for the firmware upgrade, but we'll certainly keep you posted.

I have a question: Does this mean that every HD DVD disc will be viewable at 24p (provided you have a 1080p tv) or only certain titles that have that capability?

VanMardigan said:

I have a question: Does this mean that every HD DVD disc will be viewable at 24p (provided you have a 1080p tv) or only certain titles that have that capability?

All the discs are 24p iirc. Until now, the players converted them to 60p. And you don't need a 1080p TV, but one that accpets a 24p signal (like the Pios).

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Bought a Sony BDP-S1E today along with seven Blu-Ray movies.

I really, really want to get Wings of Honneamise but I don't know the best best place to order it from. Can anyone recommend a reliable site?

Also, when does Akira come out?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
MK2 announced they'll be releasing the 400 Blows on HD and Blu-Ray in October in France. No English subtitles, though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Witchfinder General said:
Bought a Sony BDP-S1E today along with seven Blu-Ray movies.

I really, really want to get Wings of Honneamise but I don't know the best best place to order it from. Can anyone recommend a reliable site?

Also, when does Akira come out?

Is there a specific reason why you didn't buy a Ps3 instead?

Hotarubi said:
MK2 announced they'll be releasing the 400 Blows on HD and Blu-Ray in October in France. No English subtitles, though.

Tartan is releasing The Seventh Seal and Oldboy in the UK this Fall on Blu-Ray (not sure about HD-DVD), thought you might like to know.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
These 400 Blows and Seventh Seal masters are presumably what Criterion will be using when they start their high-def line next year...

Bebpo

Banned
duketogo88 said:
Rediculous prices for Patlabor and GITS. Will they drop the price of these at some point?

Not until they re-release them in 5-10 years. Or when they're released in the US (at $80) and then price dropped over time.

SRG01

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Oddly enough, while I don't like Bandai Visual's US prices, I will still pay for them. The quality on whatever they have put out flat out destroys everything else. Can't wait for the Blu Ray releases. :D

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Killthee said:
I think thats incorrect, but i cant check cause im in houston.
I believe if you go to Settings -> Audio settings -> Optical and select AAC, dolby Digtal 5.1 etc this will enable anything thats capable of of 5.1 outputting to the reciever.
But like i said i cant check to see if it still outputs in PCM 2.0 in XMB.

And around the Net today, here's an indication of just how bitterly this high-def format war is being fought (and how desperate the HD-DVD camp is becoming in battling Blu-ray Disc). The Wall Street Journal today has a story on how the European Union's European Commission is investigating the HD format war. Specifically, Microsoft and Toshiba have asked the EU to investigate the Blu-ray camp for anti-trust violations (a tactic they've tried unsuccessfully here in the U.S. in the past as well). Here's the relevant text from the story: "The HD DVD camp has been lobbying the commission to draw attention to Blu-ray's tactics in the movie capital in a bid to force more studios to put their product on HD DVD, according to people familiar with the situation." In other words, the HD-DVD camp can't seem to win this war based on consumer sales alone, even after slashing their hardware prices, so now they're trying other measures to try to force the many Blu-ray exclusive Hollywood studios to support their format too.

This is what you need to know: The Christmas shopping season this year is almost certainly going to make or break HD-DVD. The HD-DVD camp knows this as well as anyone. (We suspect that this is one of the reasons Warner has delayed their TotalHD combo plans until early next year - after the holidays to see how things play out.) The HD-DVD camp's media rhetoric seems to have shifted dramatically in recent months from how they're going to win to how they're going to survive. They must know that if software sales trends continue the way they have so far this year in favor of Blu-ray, many other retailers are going to follow Blockbuster in favoring that format alone. So the HD-DVD camp is doing everything they can just to stay in the game, from additional hardware price cuts, to announcements like "HD-DVD gets 1000 movies from Amazon" (except not really because they haven't been made yet and the deal - according to Amazon - is non-exclusive and open to Blu-ray as well) and on and on. But here is the reality: According to Tom Adams, president of Adams Media (from the WSJ story), 105,000 stand-alone Blu-ray players have sold to date compared to about 150,000 HD-DVD players. However, 1.5 million PlayStation 3s are in the hands of consumers (which can all play Blu-ray movies) compared to 160,000 who have purchased HD-DVD add-on drives for the Xbox 360. So the market right now is roughly 1.6 million Blu-ray capable machines compared to 310,000 HD-DVD machines. Even if only a small fraction of PS3 owners are watching movies (and given the 2 or 3 to 1 Blu-ray software sales edge despite the smaller number of stand-alone Blu-ray machines in the market, at least some MUST be), there's still no contest. Compounding the HD-DVD camp's problems, their stand-alone hardware sales forecasts are being downgraded even despite dramatic hardware price cuts... while Blu-ray stand-alone hardware prices are dropping too. In other words, price is the only advantage the HD-DVD camp has left, and that is starting to dry up as well.

What all this means to you, is that Blu-ray is rapidly becoming the clear choice. There's just no chance that HD-DVD is going to win this format war, and the HD-DVD camp's desperate moves now should make that obvious to all. With Blu-ray hardware prices dropping, and with Fox and MGM about to start adding their catalog titles to the BD exclusive title slate of Disney, Sony, Lionsgate and now Anchor Bay/Starz (not to mention all the great BD titles coming from Warner and Paramount), if you've been thinking about getting into high-def discs, now's a great time to jump in with Blu-ray. And if you'd rather wait a little longer for lower prices and greater hardware and software selection... there's still nothing wrong with existing DVD in the meantime. Regardless, we've said from the very beginning that this HD format war wasn't going to be good for anyone. But the writing seems to be on the wall at this point and, with a little luck, we'll see the last gasps of this skirmish play out by Christmas. At this rate, the CES convention in January 2008 is likely to be VERY interesting indeed.

Stay tuned...

Bill Hunt, Editor
The Digital Bits
billhunt@thedigitalbits.com

Petrarca

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
.... Specifically, Microsoft and Toshiba have asked the EU to investigate the Blu-ray camp for anti-trust violations

:lol :lol :lol
Microsoft is crying foul for anti-trust practices.......oh the irony

Petrarca

Banned
Anchor Bay's horror classics are coming to Blu-ray....nothing for HD-DVD, sorry

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...Horror_Specs,_Hints_at_Fall_Blu-ray_Slate/745

Just as exciting, Starz has also sent us confirmation that they plan to debut three to four additional titles by the end of October, culled from their impressive library of horror classics. Among this first wave of Blu-ray titles will be John Carpenter's seminal 'Halloween,' plus installments of Sam Raimi's 'Evil Dead' series and George A. Romero's zombie pantheon (which includes 'Dawn of the Dead' and 'Day of the Dead').

Starz/Anchor Bay has not yet announced pricing details for its debut titles but stay tuned.

Each of the titles will be distributed under the MGM Home Entertainment banner, and in keeping with MGM's current Blu-ray exclusivity, none will be released to HD DVD at this time.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
More Details in on Samsung's Dual-Format Blu-ray/HD DVD Player

Samsung has released more information about its upcoming BDP-UP5000 hybrid player, including a targeted release date.

The company said Wednesday that it plans to unleash its new player (which was originally announced several months back) in October or November of this year. Yesterday's announcement was made at a preparation event for the IFA tradeshow in Germany, where Samsung is expected to display the player in late August.

Unlike LG's already released BH100 dual-format player, Samsung says its BDP-UP5000 will support all features of both formats (including BD-Java and HDi, as well as web-enabled supplements on both formats, via an Ethernet connection).

Samsung has yet to announce pricing for its new hybrid player, but it is expected to retail at a lower price than the LG player's current $1199.99.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
VanMardigan said:
More Details in on Samsung's Dual-Format Blu-ray/HD DVD Player

Samsung has released more information about its upcoming BDP-UP5000 hybrid player, including a targeted release date.

The company said Wednesday that it plans to unleash its new player (which was originally announced several months back) in October or November of this year. Yesterday's announcement was made at a preparation event for the IFA tradeshow in Germany, where Samsung is expected to display the player in late August.

Unlike LG's already released BH100 dual-format player, Samsung says its BDP-UP5000 will support all features of both formats (including BD-Java and HDi, as well as web-enabled supplements on both formats, via an Ethernet connection).

Samsung has yet to announce pricing for its new hybrid player, but it is expected to retail at a lower price than the LG player's current $1199.99.

$1200? You could build a HTPC with BD and HD-DVD player with that dosh.

Or a PS3 60G and X360 + HD-DVD drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom