• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Mrbob said:
Incredibly...bad?

Am I reading this wrong or isn't that article saying the device is a 400 euro premium over their current BD player price, and not 400 Euros overall?

Your not, but a cheap multi format player gives "The Main Event" Hope that HD-DVD will survive, hence he read it that way..
*sigh*

Chemo

The Main Event said:
Incredible price if true.
Why does your comment sound positive? This is terrible news for anyone wanting a dual-format player... meaning, basically, HD DVD supporters.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
VanMardigan said:
Is there a specific reason why you didn't buy a Ps3 instead?

I wanted a player of much higher quality in video, audio, features and build. Also, there's no games on the PS3 that I want right now.

It seems that my whole line of questioning on the Japanese Blu-Rays is moot anyway as I realised that due to my player being Australian I won't be able to play Japanese movies.

Hopefully they'll be released here at some point.

nofi

Witchfinder General said:
I wanted a player of much higher quality in video, audio, features and build. Also, there's no games on the PS3 that I want right now.

Just out of interest, how much did you pay for your BD player?

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy

It seems that my whole line of questioning on the Japanese Blu-Rays is moot anyway as I realised that due to my player being Australian I won't be able to play Japanese movies.

Hopefully they'll be released here at some point.

If you'd done a little research, you would've found that PS3s are top of the class as far as build and features of BD players go (even discounting the fact it plays games and music and pictures and other videos and surfs net)

Constantly been updated helps a whole lot too.

If I were you, I'd pick up a 20GB JP PS3 off ebay so that you can have access to Region A (JP and America) Blurays.

nofi

Crayon Shinchan said:
If you'd done a little research, you would've found that PS3s are top of the class as far as build and features of BD players go (even discounting the fact it plays games and music and pictures and other videos and surfs net)

Yeah. I can't (honestly) understand why you wouldn't get a PS3 over any other BD player right now unless it was cheaper.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Crayon Shinchan said:

Constantly been updated helps a whole lot too.

If I were you, I'd pick up a 20GB JP PS3 off ebay so that you can have access to Region A (JP and America) Blurays.

I've you've done your research you would have found out that the PS3 is inferior to Sony's stand-alone player, a fact I've confirmed with my own eyes as well as all the people on the AVS forum and in all the reviews sites and mags.

Wow, that Digitalbits editorial pulls no punches.

I wonder one thing-- what's the source of the info that Toshiba and MS are behind the EU antitrust query?

I believe it's possible, but that's a pretty big thing to assert.

Midas

Ignatz Mouse said:
Wow, that Digitalbits editorial pulls no punches.

I wonder one thing-- what's the source of the info that Toshiba and MS are behind the EU antitrust query?

I believe it's possible, but that's a pretty big thing to assert.

Would you believe that it was someone else than Toshiba? I see no reason for anyone to do it except the people behind HD-DVD.

I wonder if Sony will get EU to invest why Universal doesn't release their titles on Blu-ray too? :lol

nofi

I've you've done your research you would have found out that the PS3 is inferior to Sony's stand-alone player, a fact I've confirmed with my own eyes as well as all the people on the AVS forum and in all the reviews sites and mags.

At what price though?

nofi

I actually bought it at a price lower than the PS3 since I also bought a laptop at the same time and thus was able to haggle like crazy.

In that case - nice! =)

djkimothy

nofilter said:
Yeah. I can't (honestly) understand why you wouldn't get a PS3 over any other BD player right now unless it was cheaper.

I think an important question would also be the noise the players make. Even playing blu-ray movies I can still hear the fan going. A dedicated player (probably the one he has) may have a lower noise output than the PS3. THat would be an imprtant factor for me in terms of getting a dedicated player.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
djkimothy said:
I think an important question would also be the noise the players make. Even playing blu-ray movies I can still hear the fan going. A dedicated player (probably the one he has) may have a lower noise output than the PS3. THat would be an imprtant factor for me in terms of getting a dedicated player.

My player is dead silent.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy

Really? I have heard the later gen players are slightly better in reproduction quality... but to what extent? And what kind of features do you need on a stand alone that the PS3 doesn't have?

djkimothy

Crayon Shinchan said:
Really? I have heard the later gen players are slightly better in reproduction quality... but to what extent? And what kind of features do you need on a stand alone that the PS3 doesn't have?

Universal remote capability would probably be it as well. Unless those Sony players are blue tooth as well? I don't know.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Take everything Bill Hunt says with a grain of salt. If he could blame HDDVD for global warming, he would.

He's a smart guy, but he sold himself out a bit.. he was allways a huge "owners rights" advocate and would argue against DRM's that were in favor of the studio.. but for whatever reason hasnt bitched once about BR+.

Edit: Im mildly interested in the combo player.. IF they can get 24p HDDVD output.. Im probably going dual format.. either the PS3 or this. The advantage here is I can get 1 machine that plays both really well. Alot less confusion with the girlfriend. It literally wouldnt make any difference to how I watch a movie regardless of format.

Plus, if its only 400 bucks more than standalone BRD players.. its essentially the same as a good HDDVD standalone.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
djkimothy said:
Universal remote capability would probably be it as well. Unless those Sony players are blue tooth as well? I don't know.

Universal remote capability is a pretty big issue I agree, if you absolutely can't stand the idea of using another (not very good either) remote.

Other than that though... I can't imagine the image quality been so discernable to anyone but people with the best eyesight AND equipment, that they'd want to sacrifice the value the PS3 represents.

But if it's not an issue of IQ (or maybe sound quality), then fair enough... sound, appearance, etc... they are real concerns to the HT conniseur.

StoOgE

Crayon Shinchan said:
Universal remote capability is a pretty big issue I agree, if you absolutely can't stand the idea of using another (not very good either) remote.

Especially if you have a harmony or another macross based remote.. Once you start using it, you cant ever go back.. its not a deal breaker for the PS3.. but its another reason Im leaning towards the combo format.

Hell, I control my ceiling fan and thermostat with it. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, the PS3 remote is pretty terrible. It seems like every DVD I put in requires a different button to get to the menu screen, skip past the intro content, and perform any basic tasks that were no problem for me before. Really the design is the worst part of all. Disappointing product but, hey, it works!

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
StoOgE said:
Take everything Bill Hunt says with a grain of salt. If he could blame HDDVD for global warming, he would.

He's a smart guy, but he sold himself out a bit.. he was allways a huge "owners rights" advocate and would argue against DRM's that were in favor of the studio.. but for whatever reason hasnt bitched once about BR+.

Take everything StoOgE says with a grain of salt. If he could blame BD for global warming, he would.

He's a smart guy, but he sold himself out a bit.. he was allways a huge advocate for fair and balanced speakers, and would argue against commentators that exhibited bias for one format or the other... but for whatever reason hasnt bitched once about Amirm.

Midas said:
Would you believe that it was someone else than Toshiba? I see no reason for anyone to do it except the people behind HD-DVD.

I wonder if Sony will get EU to invest why Universal doesn't release their titles on Blu-ray too? :lol

Well, it's possible it was instigated by a consumer movement of some sort. I mean, I think it's true, but it's being thrown around like a fact and it would be nice to see a source. Especially about the MS past, since they don't really have the same stake in the game.

Why should I take anything Bill Hunt says with any more skepticism than anything said by *anyone* on the matter? Unlike Amir and Enderle, he's not on the payroll of anyone on any side in this war. Should I take him with a grain of salt because he made a reasoned choice about which format to support?

Mrbob

StoOgE said:

Edit: Im mildly interested in the combo player.. IF they can get 24p HDDVD output.. Im probably going dual format.. either the PS3 or this. The advantage here is I can get 1 machine that plays both really well. Alot less confusion with the girlfriend. It literally wouldnt make any difference to how I watch a movie regardless of format.

Plus, if its only 400 bucks more than standalone BRD players.. its essentially the same as a good HDDVD standalone.

It is 400 Euros more, which is about 550 dollars more overall.

Oni Jazar

Looks like last week's HD DVD flood (12 exclusives and 2 dual formats in one week) did nothing to their sales. Here are the updated numbers.

Week 65/35
YTD 67/33
SI 60/40

Chemo

Oni Jazar said:
Looks like last week's HD DVD flood (12 exclusives and 2 dual formats in one week) did nothing to their sales. Here are the updated numbers.

Week 65/35
YTD 67/33
SI 60/40
That's exactly what I was expecting.

It brought them up a little. But really, it shows that catalog titles aren't the sales drivers-- new movies are.

Which is a shame, since I'd like to see more catalog stuff on BluRay! HD-DVD owners get the benefit of them trying hard to catch up.

Oni Jazar

Here are the titles that came out last week:

HD DVD
* American Me (Universal)
* Army of Darkness (Re-issue) (Universal)
* Being John Malkovich (Universal)
* The Big Lebowski (Universal)
* Black Snake Moan (Paramount)
* Bulletproof (Universal)
* Dead Silence (Universal)
* Freedom: 1 (Bandai Visual)
* Hustle & Flow (Paramount)
* Mallrats (Universal)
* Meet Joe Black (Universal)
* Mystery Men (Universal)
* Unleashed (Re-issue) (Universal)
* The Watcher (Universal)

Blu-ray

I thought HD DVD would have gotten a lot closer to BD this week instead of only 35% sales.

weekending070107.jpg

djkimothy

Wow that was fast... Wasn't expecting numbers till this afternoon.

I was expecting at LEAST 50% for HDDVD. What are the top 10?

Despite the result I too would like so catalogue titles from the Blu-ray camp. And some Sony indies, Mirrormask please! As odd as that movie is it should look awesome.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ignatz Mouse said:
It brought them up a little. But really, it shows that catalog titles aren't the sales drivers-- new movies are.

Which is a shame, since I'd like to see more catalog stuff on BluRay! HD-DVD owners get the benefit of them trying hard to catch up.

Oh there will be eventually, but not until there is a higher adoption rate.

Oni Jazar said:
Here are the titles that came out last week:

HD DVD
* American Me (Universal)
* Army of Darkness (Re-issue) (Universal)
* Being John Malkovich (Universal)
* The Big Lebowski (Universal)
* Bulletproof (Universal)
* Dead Silence (Universal)
* Freedom: 1 (Bandai Visual)
* Mallrats (Universal)
* Meet Joe Black (Universal)
* Mystery Men (Universal)
* Unleashed (Re-issue) (Universal)
* The Watcher (Universal)

Blu-ray

I thought HD DVD would have gotten a lot closer to BD this week instead of only 35% sales.

weekending070107.jpg

Put a fork in HD DVD. It's done. If they can't win a week where they've had complete dominance in titles, player price drops, etc.... they're not winning a single week all year.

I'm not shocked that Blu-ray won, but by how much. 2:1? 2:1? Are you kidding me?

Could you imagine what the numbers would've been like if Fox had been releasing titles?

I've been conservative on this, btu I guess I am ready to call it, too. I can't see what else Toshiba can do at this point, and the price squeeze on players is going to reduce their one tangible advantage.

C'mon Universal-- annouce some BluRays! I'm probably one of 5 people who would buy Mystery Men in HD!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ignatz Mouse said:
I've been conservative on this, btu I guess I am ready to call it, too. I can't see what else Toshiba can do at this point, and the price squeeze on players is going to reduce their one tangible advantage.

C'mon Universal-- annouce some BluRays! I'm probably one of 5 people who would buy Mystery Men in HD!

I want more catalog titles so bad; that and TV series. Unfortunately it doesn't look like we're getting much of either for a while. I almost never buy or get excited about new movie releases, because frankly I don't like the vast majority of new movies, but I'm kind of forced to change my habits with BR so I can get that sweet, sweet HD content.

Suikoguy

At this point I'm just glad warner delayed TotalHD, because I do think things will be decided by the end of the year damn near 100%

jjasper

About what I expected. There are only certain catalog titles that can push sales for Universal those are Scarface, Gladiator (if they still have the distribution rights), Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, ET, and Jaws. Even then some of those would have minimal impact given their age. As great as The Big Lebowski and Army of Darkness are they are still small niche titles the majority of people don't care about.

djkimothy said:
I think the last hoorah would be Jurrasic park on HDDVD.

No Spielberg movies will be out until the format war is over. Spielberg kicked their asses already. He decides when his movies are out.

Suikoguy said:
At this point I'm just glad warner delayed TotalHD, because I do think things will be decided by the end of the year damn near 100%

Warner at this point have a pretty good idea where the format war is headed.

StoOgE

Crayon Shinchan said:
Take everything StoOgE says with a grain of salt. If he could blame BD for global warming, he would.

He's a smart guy, but he sold himself out a bit.. he was allways a huge advocate for fair and balanced speakers, and would argue against commentators that exhibited bias for one format or the other... but for whatever reason hasnt bitched once about Amirm.

You are a complete idiot.

I just said Im most likely buying a BRD player before the year is up... and on the last page I said that Amir can be a good source of news that needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Speilberg produced Transofmers, I figured this rule would only apply to Speilberg directed films. He produced Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwojima, right? They're both on HD-DVD/BRD.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
WHY CAN'T ALL BLU-RAY MOVIES BE SHOWN IN FULL SCREEN?!?!?

This black bars shit is pissing me off!!!!

>:[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom