• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ManaByte said:
So I'm not allowed to like the graphics on other PS3 games above Killzone 2? God damnit, this place is making me sick.

The only "Blu-boys" I seriously attack are those who act like nothing more than BOTS who are posting their Zipatoni-approved marketing links on this forum, which I thought was against that sort of bullshit. If someone was acting like a HD-DVD, UMD, DVD-A, SACD bot posting the same shit I'd call them out too.

God damnit.

Jesus christ, I feel for Ignatz Mouse and I fully understand why he's so annoyed with you. We have VanMardigan who has been the freaking press center for Toshiba in this thread digging in every forum, site, blog, PR, viral marketeer to find positive HD-DVD news and everything is A-OK with you. The sec someone posts something positive about BluRay you think you can whine about effectively you rush in here to post about Blu-boys and bots like you're above all that. Seriously, your audacity is phenomenal.

ManaByte

Gold Member
fortified_concept said:
Jesus christ, I feel for Ignatz Mouse and I fully understand why he's so freaking annoyed with you. We have VanMardigan who has been the freaking press center for Toshiba in this thread digging in every forum, site, blog, PR, viral marketeer to find positive HD-DVD news and not once you attacked him. The sec someone posts something positive about BluRay you think you can whine about effectively you rush in here to post about Blu-boys and fanboys like you're above all that. Seriously your audacity is phenomenal.

No, I agree with you COMPLETELY about VanMadigan. But AGAIN. He's NEVER told me that I don't deserve HD-DVD for owning both. That has ONLY come from the other side. As long as the HD-DVD viral marketers and fanboys don't result to personal attacks and telling people they don't deserve to have both formats; I won't lash out against them. The instant they start that bullshit, I do. But I've only ever been attacked by the BRD camp for owning both and as I said; go back and read Zaptruder's posts here to see where he said "you don't deserve Blu-Ray" simply because I own both.

ManaByte said:
No, I agree with you COMPLETELY about VanMadigan. But AGAIN. He's NEVER told me that I don't deserve HD-DVD for owning both. That has ONLY come from the other side. As long as the HD-DVD viral marketers and fanboys don't result to personal attacks and telling people they don't deserve to have both formats; I won't lash out against them. The instant they start that bullshit, I do. But I've only ever been attacked by the BRD camp for owning both and as I said; go back and read Zaptruder's posts here to see where he said "you don't deserve Blu-Ray" simply because I own both.
:lol VanMadigan doesn't attack personally/generalize about Bluray fans? What are you smoking? Seriously, if we "make you sick" why don't you just gtfo of here? Afterall you're not convincing anyone with your ridiculous act anymore.

ManaByte

Gold Member
fortified_concept said:
:lol VanMadigan doesn't attack personally/generalize about Bluray fans? What are you smoking? Seriously, if we "make you sick" why don't you just gtfo of here? Afterall you're not convincing anyone with your ridiculous act anymore.

He hasn't attacked me. Nice reading comprehension.

And yes I will "GTFO" because that seems to be the best thing to do since it obviously hurts some people here that someone has both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players in their house.

Petrarca

Banned
ManaByte said:

Didn't you support HD-DVD exclusively and attacked BD camp back in the days?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Petrarca said:
Didn't you support HD-DVD exclusively and attacked BD camp back in the days?

I had Blu-Ray months before I got HD-DVD. Got Blu-ray first with the PS3, and then I got the 360 Add-on a couple months later so I could play EVERYTHING.

ManaByte said:
He hasn't attacked me. Nice reading comprehension.

And yes I will "GTFO" because that seems to be the best thing to do since it obviously hurts some people here that someone has both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players in their house.

You're spinning like a ballerina here. The whole argument
re
started because you were whining about Petraca's link in his post. Anyway, I'm not wasting my time with you anymore, anyone with half a brain can see your transparent agenda in this forum. Petrarca might often be quite annoying but at least he's not a hypocrite.

Petrarca

Banned
ManaByte said:
I had Blu-Ray months before I got HD-DVD. Got Blu-ray first with the PS3, and then I got the 360 Add-on a couple months later so I could play EVERYTHING.

You might have PS3 (for games) before HD-DVD player, but reading your earlier posts in this thread, you were definitely a hardcore HD-DVD defender, exclusive HD-DVD backer.

Not once during those days you tried to act neutral

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I think what we're witnessing is ManaByte trying to convince himself that he is impartial. Remember guys, he owns both formats so it's impossible for him to be biased towards one.

But really, keep dodging Ignatz's questions.

ManaByte said:

220px-Unforgiven22.jpg

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

I always wanted to use that line. One of the reasons you get attacked (not by me of course) is because you keep activating the "I'm format neutral" forcefield. We all know you're not. I own both formats too and you'll never hear me say I'm neutral. As I've said before, the TRUE Format neutral people don't bother with these threads at all.

Zaptruder = banned months ago. So go away, eh?

And *again* why only outrage when Blu-Ray PR is linked, and not HD-DVD PR (of which I believe we see a lot more)?

As far as the forum making you sick-- you're part the problem. Seriously.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
"As I've said before, the TRUE Format neutral people don't bother with these threads at all."

*Raises hand and leaves thread*

Petrarca

Banned
XMonkey said:
I think what we're witnessing is ManaByte trying to convince himself that he is impartial. Remember guys, he owns both formats so it's impossible for him to be biased towards one.

But really, keep dodging Ignatz's questions.

that....or he was a hardcore HD-DVD cheerleader, then after noticing HD-DVD losing the war, started buying blu-ray discs because he felt he didn't want to invest in a dying format.

Nowadays he claimed that he's neutral and yet still attacking BD while praising how decent Hd-DVD camp is

Petrarca

Banned
Matrix said:
"As I've said before, the TRUE Format neutral people don't bother with these threads at all."

*Raises hand and leaves thread*

true movie fan only wants one format and ends the war.

*supports blu-ray and hopes hd-dvd die quickly*

RichP

Banned
fortified_concept said:
The fact that you're defending RichP the junior who posted every lame HD-DVD excuse you can think of like he came straight from an avsforum HD-DVD fap thread.

When did I root for the demise of any of the two formats in this thread? It's funny you mention AVSForum, feel free to look up anything I've posted there recently. If you dig hard, you might find some pro-HD-DVD stuff from October. Anything semi-recent is impartial; I changed my mind once Sony started to get its act together. The BD launch was a debacle, I don't think anyone can really refute that. However, many of the recent discs have been very well done, and I think once the firmware situation gets sorted out with the standalones BD has a bright future.

Personally, all movies released on both formats that I want I'll get in BD, since I get a better picture out of the PS3 thanks to HDMI. The 360's VGA doesn't look so hot on my projector, but I'll still buy HD-DVD exclusives. Was that impartial enough?

skrew

Banned
I love how hd downloads will be the future, from the same camp that raved and ranted about initial crappy blu ray releases. I'm sure those hd download that are a fraction of a size of hd discs will have impeccable quality... and interactive content!!! What makes you think that the hd download market wont be just as fractured as the hd disc market? Who do you buy you HDD player from? Which studios will support it? What drm does it use? Which store will support what studio and what hardware?

RichP

Banned
Petrarca said:
true movie fan only wants one format and ends the war.

*supports blu-ray and hopes hd-dvd die quickly*

I don't think anyone in their right mind WANTS two formats; the one benefit I do see is that player and media prices are dropping by insane amounts compared to DVD.

If one DID have to win I'd go with BD, because the technology is superior (and I get better sound/picture out of my setup). However, I think HD-DVD would have a better shot at going mainstream solely based on the name. Hey, people are shallow! :)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I find this thread a great source of entertainment,it's like going to the movies!

http://www.videobusiness.com/blog/1650000165/post/1770011977.html

We've got some earlier news of Knocked Up's release on DVD.

Universal will be bringing out on DVD and as an HD DVD Combo with the theatrical R-rated version and an unrated version. HD DVD includes both with the unrated in high-def and the R-rated on the standard-def side. On DVD, each version will be available separately in single-disc packages, and the unrated version also will be in a two-disc spectial edition.

The unrated version is listed as only four minutes -- that's right I meant 4, not 14 or 40, just 4 -- longer than the theatrical. So let your imagination figure out what could be added.

Prebook date is Aug. 14, but we don't have a street date confirmed yet. So, circle the first few weeks of September (in pencil so you can erase it and circle the actual date once we have it).

From the writer and director of the blockbuster The 40-Year-Old Virgin (and starring Virgin's Seth Rogan and Paul Russ, not to leave out Grey's Anatomy's Katherine Heigl), Knocked Up scored big at the box office with $122 million.

It's a no-brainer that this one will be a hit on DVD too.

Petrarca

Banned
Massive Blu-ray Promotions by Disney and Panasonic

Disney hits the road to shine a light on Blu-ray

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-07-16-disney-blu-ray_N.htm?csp=34

Coming soon to a mall near you: a lavish Disney road show, complete with towering widescreens, interactive video-game and movie stations, and even a mini theater.

The focus of it all isn't a hot new movie or Disney Channel show. It's the Blu-ray Disc.

Blu-ray, along with HD DVD, is what's known as "next-generation" discs, with high-definition visuals primed for the wave of HDTVs entering American homes. The problem is, the formats have been out a year, and viewers still don't understand that special players and DVDs — in addition to HDTVs — are needed to get the full high-def effect.

Disney's Magical Blu-ray Tour, which will visit 18 malls for three-day runs, aims to change all that.

"There's a lot of consumer confusion out there, and we want to help everyone understand this amazing new technology," says Bob Chapek, president of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment.

Shopping malls seemed like the ideal venues because the studio wanted to "reach as many people as possible (from) all demographics," he says.

Sponsored by Panasonic, the tour begins Aug. 17 in Los Angeles and concludes Dec. 23 in Phoenix.

At each stop, giant blue towers will feature widescreen monitors. And at more than a dozen interactive "stations," people can preview Blu-ray versions of recent Disney animated hits Cars and Meet the Robinsons, and play the Liar's Dice game from the Blu-ray edition of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

But the heart of the exhibit is a mini theater with hourly presentations on Blu-ray technology and high-definition in general, tying the technology to Walt Disney's legacy of imagination.

Ultimately, the show says, Disney Blu-ray discs will allow viewers plugged into the Internet to chat with fellow viewers and interact with filmmakers, all while watching the movie. They also will be able to get detailed information and even buy items they see in the movie.

disney-blurayx-large.jpg

MALL TOUR DATES AND LOCATIONS

-Westfield Topanga, Canoga Park, Calif.
Aug. 17-19

-South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, Calif.
Aug. 24-26

-Westfield North County, Escondido, Calif.
Aug. 31-Sept. 2

-Westfield San Francisco, San Francisco
Sept. 7-9

-Washington Square, Portland, Ore.
Sept. 14-16

-Westfield South Center, Seattle
Sept. 21- 23
-Mall of America, Bloomington, Minn.
Sept. 28-30

-Orland Square, Orland Park, Ill.
Oct. 5-7

-Westfield West County, St. Louis
Oct. 12-14

-Tysons Corner Center, McLean, Va.
Oct. 19-21

-Roosevelt Field, Garden City, N.Y.
Oct. 26-28

-Burlington Mall, Burlington, Mass.
Nov. 9-11

-King of Prussia, King of Prussia, Pa.
Nov. 16-18

-Circle Centre, Indianapolis
Nov. 23-25

-Lenox Square, Atlanta
Nov. 30-Dec. 2

-The Galleria, Houston
Dec. 7-9

-Barton Creek Square, Austin
Dec. 14-16

-Chandler Fashion Center, Chandler, Ariz.
Dec. 21-23

Petrarca

Banned
'Halloween,' 'Evil Dead 2,' 'Dawn of the Dead', 'Day of the Dead' on Blu-ray October 2

The date is set for classic horrors, should be popular during the Halloween month

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s..._Evil_Dead_2,_Dawn_of_the_Dead_on_Blu-ray/771

Nearly a month after formally announcing its support of the Blu-ray format, Starz Home Entertainment says it will release four horror film classics as its first Blu-ray titles.

As we originally reported last month, Starz (formerly Anchor Bay) had been expected to launch its Blu-ray support with its 'Masters of Horror' anthology. Not to worry, 'Masters of Horror' is still bound for Blu-ray beginning in mid-October, but in a surprise announcement, it turns out four other titles will hit store shelves first.
ADVERTISEMENT

Arriving in stores October 2, the distributor will unleash John Carpenter's 'Halloween,' the horror-comedy 'Evil Dead 2' and two installments in George A. Romeo's original "Living Dead" franchise, 'Dawn of the Dead' and 'Day of the Dead' in first-ever high-def versions.

Tech specs will include full 1080p video transfers (codec TBA), and Starz has also elected to go with uncompressed PCM soundtracks for the audio.

No supplemental details have yet been revealed. Note also that all four of the titles have been released in prior "Director's Cut" and extended editions on DVD, but no information is yet available on exactly which version(s) of the films will make Blu-ray.

Starz has set a suggested $29.98 list price for each title.

We've added listings for the quartet to our Blu-ray Release Schedule, under October 2. Stay tuned for final specs and box art in the coming weeks.

See what people are saying about this story in our forums area, or check out other recent discussions.

Discs mentioned in this article: (Click for specs and reviews)
Halloween (1978) (Blu-ray)
Dawn of the Dead (1978) (Blu-ray)
Day of the Dead (1985) (Blu-ray)
Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn (Blu-ray)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz Mouse said:
Orland Park seems like an odd choice. I would have figured it for Woodfield, Northbrook, or Old Orchard for the Chicagoland area.

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. Plus I'll miss the dates, cause I'll only be up there until August 12th. Would've liked to check it out. I'll probably download one of their second tier HD rentals on Xbox Live to see some Disney HD action.

Petrarca

Banned
kaching said:
That's hideous looking

whaddaya talking about?! that kiosk is cool.

Warner or Sony may have bigger market share, but in term of brand recognition, nothing beats Disney.

Gotta give props to Panasonic and Disney for doing this.

Looks like the kiosk also displays PS3

Petrarca

Banned
What used to be exclusive HD-DVD backer, HDScape now chose to support Blu-ray as well

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...HDScape_Adds_Blu-ray_to_its_High-Def_Menu/776

HDScape Adds Blu-ray to its High-Def Menu
Tue Jul 17, 2007 at 03:01 PM ET
Tags: Disc Announcements, DVD International (all tags)

DVD International has announced that it will bring its entire HDScape library of scenic high-definition titles to Blu-ray disc beginning in late 2007.

Though the distributor has already released its HDScape catalog on HD DVD (an eight-strong line-up that currently includes such titles as 'Antarctica Dreaming,' 'Visions of the Sea' and 'Stargaze'), until now they had eschewed supporting Blu-ray. Now, in a press release out this morning, the company says it will add Blu-ray support by the end of 2007.

"Since its inception almost one year ago, HDScape has become the premier source for scenic high definition content that turns any HDTV into a beautiful work of art. Now is the ideal time to bring our library to the Blu-ray community, so that they can experience just how beautiful high definition artwork can be," said David Goodman, President of DVD International.

The company has not yet announced exact street dates for its upcoming Blu-ray HDScape titles, nor specs or pricing. However, DVD International has confirmed that all of its Blu-ray HDScape will be "recorded and mastered in stunning high definition video," as well as include either Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital 5.1 surround audio.

Petrarca: non-News of the day! Right up there with the publich-on-demand HD-DVD titles a couple of weeks back.

The big news that I'm surprised hasn't gotten more buzz is that Rentrak announcement. This makes BluRay waaaay more available to rental outlets.

mollipen

DarkJediKnight said:
As I've said before, the TRUE Format neutral people don't bother with these threads at all.

I can't claim to be 100% format neutral, but I root for the demise of HD-DVD: not because I have anything against it, but because I know the only way to really go forward right now is having only one format, and I think that format will end up being Blu-ray. If the places were switched, I'd be rooting for Blu-ray to go away.

Either way, one has to die, and that's that, so far as I'm concerned.

Petrarca said:
whaddaya talking about?! that kiosk is cool.

Blue, white, and orange with glittery, shiny back paneling? I'm pretty sure those are the exact words you'd see if you looked up the meaning of the word "hideously ugly."

mollipen

VanMardigan said:
Yeah, you're not any percentage format neutral. I don't even think you know what the phrase means.

Did you even bother reading the rest of what I said? "Format neutral" means you don't care about the format. I don't care which one we have - so long as we have ONE, not two.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
shidoshi said:
Did you even bother reading the rest of what I said? "Format neutral" means you don't care about the format. I don't care which one we have - so long as we have ONE, not two.

Format Neutral= No format preference

shidoshi=wants blu ray to win and hd dvd to die

shidoshi IS NOT format neutral

I understand your reasons, but the minute you took a side, you are no longer format neutral.

mollipen

VanMardigan said:
Format Neutral= No format preference

shidoshi=wants blu ray to win and hd dvd to die

shidoshi IS NOT format neutral

I understand your reasons, but the minute you took a side, you are no longer format neutral.

There's no use talking to you, is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom