• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaivo

DarkJediKnight said:
On a sad note, my Marantz receiver fried. It was completely my fault. It didn't have enough ventilation and I knew it. Leave breathing space for your amps folks. It was too big for the little space I had for it. I'm going to talk to Marantz to see if it's salvagable. I paid $2000 for it. Damn!

OUCH! I think you'll be in luck, since it is likely that a specific something failed due to the heat, and that it is unlikely to be a component wide failure. Sounds to me like a repairable matter.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
SanjuroTsubaki said:
I'm back. Because of the hate I ended up bailing out of this thread. My past situation was to purchase a $90 HD-DVD add-on or get a PS3 again to obtain TMNT on an HD medium. I ended up getting a deal on a 20GB PS3 the other day for $200. This also satisfies my hunger on Ninja Gaiden as well. While BR is still missing out on some other releases I want (Batman Begins/Children of Men), I'm quite excited to get Blade Runner:The Final Cut. Are there any other must own titles or obscure that I have missed out on within the last few months?

$200 for a PS3? Gddamn. You manage to find the biggest suckers :eek:

DarkJediKnight said:
Players? Blu-ray players have been much more reliable than HD DVD players as a whole.

Depending on the brand, of course.

Blu-ray players have always been faster, has resume function, etc.

The resume function actually doesn't work on BD that are authored with BD-J. Same reason why it doesn't work on HD DVD because of HD-i.

thaivo said:
OUCH! I think you'll be in luck, since it is likely that a specific something failed due to the heat, and that it is unlikely to be a component wide failure. Sounds to me like a repairable matter.

Looks like the mains transformer and possibly something else around it. There's black muck under the glass that was above the receiver. My Monster Power conditioner was above it and my room is light controlled so I never noticed.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/New_Line/Disc_Announcements/Confirmed:_New_Line_to_Launch_Blu-ray,_HD_DVD_Support_with_Hairspray/778

The last major studio holdout in the high-def sweepstakes, New Line Home Entertainment has confirmed earlier reports that it will release 'Hairspray' as their very first Blu-ray and HD DVD disc.

The news first surfaced Monday at the Home Media Expo in Las Vegas, when a New Line rep reportedly let slip that the distributor is planning to launch its Blu-ray and HD DVD support with the release of 'Hairspray' later in 2007.

We contacted New Line Home Entertainment directly for comment, and they've confirmed to us that, indeed, the rumors are true. The studio is currently :"in preparation" to release 'Hairspray' as its debut next-gen title, timed as a day-and-date release with the standard-def DVD version.

With the remake of 'Hairspray' only hitting theaters this weekend, New Line has yet to set a street date for its video release, but given the current theatrical-to-video window of roughly three-to-four months, a fourth quarter 2007 time frame seems likely.

New Line expects to have further details on their upcoming Blu-ray and HD DVD plans -- starting with a formal announcement -- in the coming months.

Needless to say, we'll keep you posted on New Line's plans as they're revealed.

New Line on the bandwagon ****ing finally!

Thaivo, I only argue content because that's what matters to me. I think any HD looks a lot better than SD and am not all that interested in the differences between the two at a technology level. I like BD more, since it holds more and supports more bandwidth, but that's a very small consideration over which one can get the confidence of the studios and consumers to get a format off the ground. Blu-ray wins that comparison. All of the deceptive PR coming out about HD DVD does nothing but convince me I made the right call last year when I was trying to decide.

rubso

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
I just picked up Waiting this morning. This is my first True 7.1 title. Unfortunately, there's not a lot going on in the audio as it's mainly dialogue. The picture does look really good. Think Crank but not as sharp.

Now I'm waiting for Lionsgate to re-release Terminator 2 on a 50gb extended cut with 7.1 PCM or DTS MA.

On a sad note, my Marantz receiver fried. It was completely my fault. It didn't have enough ventilation and I knew it. Leave breathing space for your amps folks. It was too big for the little space I had for it. I'm going to talk to Marantz to see if it's salvagable. I paid $2000 for it. Damn!
>.< bad news, do you have any kind of warranty on it?

EDIT:
The Main Event said:
New Line on the bandwagon ****ing finally!
YESSSSS xD

The Main Event said:
Depending on the brand, of course.

I've owned the HDA2 and now own the XA2. The A2 was a piece of shit. Thank god I never bought the A1. Both of these machine have a ton of problems. The XA2 is a great machine though but it does have problems with extracting core from DTS MA tracks on imported titles. Blu-ray Gen1 models were more reliable and faster than HD DVD Gen1. The same goes for Gen2. I have the Sony BDPS300 now to limit the blu-ray playing on my PS3. And that machine is built like a tank for such a cheap unit. Still use my XA2 for upscaling as it's the best I've seen.

The resume function actually doesn't work on BD that are authored with BD-J. Same reason why it doesn't work on HD DVD because of HD-i.[/QUOTE]

Never paid much attention to it but whenever I stop a Blu-ray, it plays from the same place. I'll need to test out the BD-J titles. But none of the HD DVDs I've tried to resume can do it. But with my receiver dead, it's going to be a while.

thaivo

Ignatz Mouse said:
but that's a very small consideration over which one can get the confidence of the studios and consumers to get a format off the ground. Blu-ray wins that comparison.

I understand your point, and I don't think I ever made light of the fact that BD has more studios, and overall, they are better studios. My main issue was that people are saying that HD-DVD doesn't have the content, and will not have more content in the future. As the above New Line release shows, HD-DVD is getting support, and there is a good chance that when LOTR comes out it's going to be dual format.

Ignatz Mouse said:
All of the deceptive PR coming out about HD DVD does nothing but convince me I made the right call last year when I was trying to decide.

I agree that the HD-DVD backers have construed facts to their advantage, but the same could be said of the BD group.

rubso said:
>.< bad news, do you have any kind of warranty on it?

EDIT:

YESSSSS xD

I bought it from the US last year through a friend of mine who worked at Marantz. He has since left the company and I have no idea if they will honor the waranty since I'm in Canada. I'll have to take it to the US I guess. Ugh.

thaivo said:
I agree that the HD-DVD backers have construed facts to their advantage, but the same could be said of the BD group.

I am not even going to debate this point. BD has done less spin not becuase they are somehow morally superior, but merely because they don't have to, they're winning the fight.

DarkJediKnight said:
Never paid much attention to it but whenever I stop a Blu-ray, it plays from the same place. I'll need to test out the BD-J titles. But none of the HD DVDs I've tried to resume can do it. But with my receiver dead, it's going to be a while.

I play my BD on my PS3 and it doesn't work for titles like The Descent and The Pirates. You could try it out on your BDPS300 to see if it's the same (after your receiver gets fixed of course, sorry to hear that).

Since you're also in Canada, where did you pick up your XA2? The only place I know to get it within Canada is at Futureshop, which is way too expensive at $999. The other option would be on eBay, but I'd prefer to pick it up in-store in case I have any problem with it.

Question for you guys since I figure this is the best thread to ask

I'm getting a PS3 today and want to know if I hook it up to my receiver via HDMI, then HDMI out to my TV, will the receiver pass through both video and audio, or will it retain the audio and process it? Receiver in question is a Sony STR-DG710. Thanks for any replies in advance.

thaivo

Ignatz Mouse said:
I am not even going to debate this point. BD has done less spin not becuase they are somehow morally superior, but merely because they don't have to, they're winning the fight.

Perhaps you don't want to debate the point, and I don't really think its debatable anyways, as you can't say that the BD camp hasn't been intentionally spreading FUD. I especially like the quotes from the Sony camp that stated that HD-DVD will be dead within the next few months... :lol

The Main Event said:
Since you're also in Canada, where did you pick up your XA2? The only place I know to get it within Canada is at Futureshop, which is way too expensive at $999. The other option would be on eBay, but I'd prefer to pick it up in-store in case I have any problem with it.

I traded my SVS 20-39 PC+ sub to a local guy for the XA2 + $500 cash. My theater room isn't big and the sub was too big. After hearing the smaller and cheaper PB10 in my room and comparing it to the 20-39 sub, it can hit 17hz in my room with the same DBL as the bigger sub. The problem with the cylinder subs is that you don't quite feel the tactile impact of the Box subs. So I picked up the PB10 from Sonicboom audio in Toronto for $579. Quite possibly the absolute best thing you can do to your sound if you have a small room. The PB10 has no competitors for the price. With a 10" driver, it hangs with 12" driver subs 2x its cost.

thaivo said:
Perhaps you don't want to debate the point, and I don't really think its debatable anyways, as you can't say that the BD camp hasn't been intentionally spreading FUD. I especially like the quotes from the Sony camp that stated that HD-DVD will be dead within the next few months... :lol

It just doesn't compare at all. How many press releases in the last seven days touting HD-DVD advantage, when the simple, basic, flat-out sales numbers show it to be not true? Bravado about winning != distortion. If for some reason you must count that Sony statement, add in on the other side paying a viral marketer disguised as an analyst to state how Blu-Ray will be dead becuase Wal*Mart is going to go exclusive with HD-DVD. That's quite a bit more over the top than saying the competition is doomed.

Again, not becuase they *wouldn't* but becuase they don't have to.

Outdoor Miner said:
Question for you guys since I figure this is the best thread to ask

I'm getting a PS3 today and want to know if I hook it up to my receiver via HDMI, then HDMI out to my TV, will the receiver pass through both video and audio, or will it retain the audio and process it? Receiver in question is a Sony STR-DG710. Thanks for any replies in advance.

Yes. it will accept 7.1 PCM through HDMI. You're good.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Why is New Line going to support HD DVD in addition to Blu Ray? HD DVD's been dead since... what? 2005? Stupid New Line for prolonging this format war if they were a true movie studio they'd help end this war quickly.

Doc Evils

Coming soon to a mall near you: a lavish Disney road show, complete with towering widescreens, interactive video-game and movie stations, and even a mini theater.
The focus of it all isn't a hot new movie or Disney Channel show. It's the Blu-ray Disc.

Blu-ray, along with HD DVD, is what's known as "next-generation" discs, with high-definition visuals primed for the wave of HDTVs entering American homes. The problem is, the formats have been out a year, and viewers still don't understand that special players and DVDs — in addition to HDTVs — are needed to get the full high-def effect.

Disney's Magical Blu-ray Tour, which will visit 18 malls for three-day runs, aims to change all that.

"There's a lot of consumer confusion out there, and we want to help everyone understand this amazing new technology," says Bob Chapek, president of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment.

Shopping malls seemed like the ideal venues because the studio wanted to "reach as many people as possible (from) all demographics," he says.

Sponsored by Panasonic, the tour begins Aug. 17 in Los Angeles and concludes Dec. 23 in Phoenix.

At each stop, giant blue towers will feature widescreen monitors. And at more than a dozen interactive "stations," people can preview Blu-ray versions of recent Disney animated hits Cars and Meet the Robinsons, and play the Liar's Dice game from the Blu-ray edition of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

But the heart of the exhibit is a mini theater with hourly presentations on Blu-ray technology and high-definition in general, tying the technology to Walt Disney's legacy of imagination.

Ultimately, the show says, Disney Blu-ray discs will allow viewers plugged into the Internet to chat with fellow viewers and interact with filmmakers, all while watching the movie. They also will be able to get detailed information and even buy items they see in the movie.

Blu-ray is competing with HD DVD to become the dominant format, and HD DVD is hoping to gain converts with a $299 player.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-07-16-disney-blu-ray_N.htm

HD-DVD Pwned?

rubso

Banned
Days like these... said:
Why is New Line going to support HD DVD in addition to Blu Ray? HD DVD's been dead since... what? 2005? Stupid New Line for prolonging this format war if they were a true movie studio they'd help end this war quickly.
>.>
<.<
*shocked*
Doc Evils said:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-07-16-disney-blu-ray_N.htm
old, check out previous pages.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Glad to see New Line finally in the game. Their catalog doesn't really interest me much, but given that they are part of Warner, I'd expect to see more than just new releases. Just give me the New World and Birth on HD, New Line!

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Days like these... said:

Probably because they're part of the Time/Warner group?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
And today, the Onion plays along:

Statshot-Bluray.jpg

thaivo

Ignatz Mouse said:
It just doesn't compare at all. How many press releases in the last seven days touting HD-DVD advantage, when the simple, basic, flat-out sales numbers show it to be not true? Bravado about winning != distortion. If for some reason you must count that Sony statement, add in on the other side paying a viral marketer disguised as an analyst to state how Blu-Ray will be dead becuase Wal*Mart is going to go exclusive with HD-DVD. That's quite a bit more over the top than saying the competition is doomed.

Again, not becuase they *wouldn't* but becuase they don't have to.

What sounds more reasonable? Me quoting a Sony executive that made a rather unprofessional statement. Or your interpretation that an analyst was paid off to be a viral marketer?

rubso

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/images/fellowshipposter.jpg

However, all things point to this being a Christmas 2008 release, and the format war will probably be over then.
I've read a post from a Microsoft Insider at a forum, ( maybe AVS forum? ) that they are working on LOTR VC-1 encoding and they want it to have the greatest PQ.
11bc228348a04bf9b46fe010._AA_.L.jpg

*tempting*

Thaivo, go read this thread. Tell me how many people were saying "HD DVD is dead, Sony said so" and then see how many people were suckered in by the Wal*Mart FUD. We had three or four pages of that shit, based on speculation from an analysy who, if you google him, has a page up for his consulting/marketing business including "zero cost marketing" (aka viral marketing). Toshiba and Microsoft are listed as clients.

Seriously, go read and come back here with your interpretation of where the FUD comes from.

mollipen

DarkJediKnight said:
Looks like Amazon is now bundling 5th Element with the PS3. I hope it's the old master to clear out stock.

Wait... I could get that, and then do the Sony trade-up, right? (To get the better version of 5th Element.)

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I'm back. Because of the hate I ended up bailing out of this thread. My past situation was to purchase a $90 HD-DVD add-on or get a PS3 again to obtain TMNT on an HD medium. I ended up getting a deal on a 20GB PS3 the other day for $200. This also satisfies my hunger on Ninja Gaiden as well. While BR is still missing out on some other releases I want (Batman Begins/Children of Men), I'm quite excited to get Blade Runner:The Final Cut. Are there any other must own titles or obscure that I have missed out on within the last few months?

If you're looking for something more off the beaten path, look into picking up Sony Pictures Classics release of Volver. Magnolia Pictures is also releasing the South Korean film The Host, next week, too.

rubso said:
I've read a post from a Microsoft Insider at a forum, ( maybe AVS forum? ) that they are working on LOTR VC-1 encoding and they want it to have the greatest PQ.
11bc228348a04bf9b46fe010._AA_.L.jpg

*tempting*

BS. I followed that. The only Warner insider was CJPlay, who left because Warner told him to. Microsoft insiders love to "speculate" especially Ben Waggoner, who was OWNED not long ago by a Dolby insider.

The extended DVD took 16gb on a 480i transfer. You think 30gb is going to do 1080p, especially for Return of the king? Heck I think 50b is pushing it. Amir and others were trying to convince people that it could be done on a 30gb disc, and was shot down with hard numbers.

And LOTR will only come out during the holidays. And Warner isn't releasing it in 2007, so I doubt the transfers started so early.

ManaByte

Gold Member
DarkJediKnight said:
And Warner isn't releasing it in 2007, so I doubt the transfers started so early.

Laser Pacific did the LOTR: EE sets, and they've apparently been working on content for the HD release with Michael Pellerin for at least a year now.

rubso

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
BS. I followed that. The only Warner insider was CJPlay, who left because Warner told him to. Microsoft insiders love to "speculate" especially Ben Waggoner, who was OWNED not long ago by a Dolby insider.

The extended DVD took 16gb on a 480i transfer. You think 30gb is going to do 1080p, especially for Return of the king? Heck I think 50b is pushing it. Amir and others were trying to convince people that it could be done on a 30gb disc, and was shot down with hard numbers.

And LOTR will only come out during the holidays. And Warner isn't releasing it in 2007, so I doubt the transfers started so early.
I'll just wait and see.
btw, return of the king extended version on dvd is about 8.7GBs on torrents.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wasn't it amir that said that they were doing the vc-1 encode for LOTR and wanted to make sure that the PQ was top notch, so they were taking their time? New Line may take their time for the release, but its definitely already being worked on.

Anyway, the onion frickin rocks. :lol

Statshot-Most-Popular_0.jpg

haha, and of course a classic High-Definition Television Promises Sharper Crap:

onion_news2143.article.jpg

edit: Amir's LOTR quote:

Mind you, this is not an easy encode where you fire the encoder and the next day ship the title. Care is needed to get the absolute best quality. Fortunately, while I can’t say much about LOTR in public, I can tell you that a ton of care is being applied to its encoding. And the results are very nice from what I hear.

Per above, I think you will be impressed with the quality. I know the title will not get released unless it looks great. Given the fact that NL is taking its time with getting this title encoded, you don’t have to worry here. And their standards are quite high. We didn’t let you down with Matrix. I hope you trust us that we won’t mess with this symbol of home theater either

rubso

Banned
Mind you, this is not an easy encode where you fire the encoder and the next day ship the title. Care is needed to get the absolute best quality. Fortunately, while I can’t say much about LOTR in public, I can tell you that a ton of care is being applied to its encoding. And the results are very nice from what I hear.

Per above, I think you will be impressed with the quality. I know the title will not get released unless it looks great. Given the fact that NL is taking its time with getting this title encoded, you don’t have to worry here. And their standards are quite high. We didn’t let you down with Matrix. I hope you trust us that we won’t mess with this symbol of home theater either
yes, that's the one i was talking about..

EDIT:
djkimothy said:
Uncompressed audio for Blu-ray please. Don't dumb it down either. Also, 1 disc please, this is next gen and should be able to rid of the dual disc movies. :/
wait, do you want all of the 3 movies in 1 Disc only?

btw, DarkJediKnight, I know you have a 7.1 audio system, how different is PCM/DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD from each other from your personal experience?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
'Departed,' 'Casino Royale' Nab Home Entertainment Award Honors

'The Departed' and 'Casino Royale' were the big high-def winners at this year's Entertainment Merchants Association's Home Entertainment Awards, announced last night at the Home Media Expo in Las Vegas.

'The Departed' scored with two awards, including HD DVD Title of the Year as well as DVD Rental Title of the Year, while 'Casino Royale' took home Blu-ray Title of the Year honors.

Earning the Hall of Fame Award was Warner's 'Casablanca,' currently available on both HD DVD and standard-def DVD.

This year marked the first to see the the Entertainment Merchants Association hand out awards for high-def formats. Eligible titles were released between April 1, 2006 and March 31, 2007. An EMA committee picked categories and nominees, and the winners were determined by EMA retail and distributor members.

As much as I hated the ending to "Departed", I may crack if I find it at a good price.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
DarkJediKnight said:
I traded my SVS 20-39 PC+ sub to a local guy for the XA2 + $500 cash. My theater room isn't big and the sub was too big. After hearing the smaller and cheaper PB10 in my room and comparing it to the 20-39 sub, it can hit 17hz in my room with the same DBL as the bigger sub. The problem with the cylinder subs is that you don't quite feel the tactile impact of the Box subs. So I picked up the PB10 from Sonicboom audio in Toronto for $579. Quite possibly the absolute best thing you can do to your sound if you have a small room. The PB10 has no competitors for the price. With a 10" driver, it hangs with 12" driver subs 2x its cost.
Isnt the PB10 awesome? I have it hooked up to my old amp with just my polk R50s, sounds great.

The extended versions of the movies were two discs each, which was pretty annoying.

rubso said:
yes, that's the one i was talking about..

EDIT:

btw, DarkJediKnight, I know you have a 7.1 audio system, how different is PCM/DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD from each other from your personal experience?

As far Amir's post, I did not see that. Ok, cool, LOTR is in the works, but comparing it to the Matrix is nothing. Matrix is far short.

As far as the 3 goes all of Fox's DTS MA discs are in 48/24 so even their 1.5mbps core sounds great. The Core extraction is a REALLY REALLY good form of compression. And is superior to Dolby Plus 1.5mbps tracks.

Right now my reference is Dead Man's Chest. 48/24 and the sound design is really good. My Receiver is (or was before last night's explosion) THX Ultra certified so I'm comfortable in saying that if there were difference, I would be able to hear it.

The thing is with PCM, it can't get any better because it takes away all doubt. It is the best form of digital sound with constant bitrate. With True HD, there's not enough material to really compare it. But they're supposed to sound the same.

On Ghost Rider, I felt the True HD track sounded a bit smoother than the PCM, but it could be because it's 20bits, or who knows.

My preference is True HD. If it sounds the same and saves bandwidth and disc space, why not? But I'm also looking for the day I can hear DTS MA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom