• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
DarkJediKnight said:
As far Amir's post, I did not see that. Ok, cool, LOTR is in the works, but comparing it to the Matrix is nothing. Matrix is far short.

He was comparing it to the Matrix in the sense that they would make sure everything was as good as it could be i.e. not rushed, high level IQ etc. I have no doubts it will look fantastic on both formats.

As far as TrueHD vs. PCM, there was some discussion on AVS about sound "jitter" on PCM, which may explain the smoothness stuff you were talking about.

Woohoo. Not that this warrants a post but Marantz have been so good through this. They say that people have put the receiver in tighter places and it shouldn't have blown up, regardless. They will fix it and if not, send me a brand new one. :D So there's a plug for Marantz. Second to none sound quality at the pricepoint if you're looking for any THX certified receivers.

I still have to ship this lunk of metal to the States for Waranty. The thing weighs 60lbs.

Now to go receiver shopping for a temporary replacement.

rubso

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
As far Amir's post, I did not see that. Ok, cool, LOTR is in the works, but comparing it to the Matrix is nothing. Matrix is far short.

As far as the 3 goes all of Fox's DTS MA discs are in 48/24 so even their 1.5mbps core sounds great. The Core extraction is a REALLY REALLY good form of compression. And is superior to Dolby Plus 1.5mbps tracks.

Right now my reference is Dead Man's Chest. 48/24 and the sound design is really good. My Receiver is (or was before last night's explosion) THX Ultra certified so I'm comfortable in saying that if there were difference, I would be able to hear it.

The thing is with PCM, it can't get any better because it takes away all doubt. It is the best form of digital sound with constant bitrate. With True HD, there's not enough material to really compare it. But they're supposed to sound the same.

On Ghost Rider, I felt the True HD track sounded a bit smoother than the PCM, but it could be because it's 20bits, or who knows.

My preference is True HD. If it sounds the same and saves bandwidth and disc space, why not? But I'm also looking for the day I can hear DTS MA.
Yeah, I thought the same, Actually, TrueHD sounds good, and sure it saves space and bandwidth.
too bad that all available Blu-ray and HD-DVD players can decode DTS core soundtracks only at 1.5 Mbit/s.
djkimothy said:
LOL, that would be great, no, I meant per movie. :)
I see, the HD formats can handle LOTR 1 disc per movie, I believe.
btw, I heard a rumor that LOTR on HD is going to be the theatrical version.

ManaByte

Gold Member
rubso said:
btw, I heard a rumor that LOTR on HD is going to be the theatrical version.

That was BS made up by some guy on AVS who got butt hurt when The Matrix trilogy was announced. They'll be the Extended Editions on BOTH formats.

ManaByte said:
That was BS made up by some guy on AVS who got butt hurt when The Matrix trilogy was announced. They'll be the Extended Editions on BOTH formats.

Yea, Beatboy. He's full of shit. He'll make 10 predictions and when 1 is right he's say: "I told you so".

VanMardigan said:
I'm surprised you mentioned that.

I wanted to be Frank. I thought if I was upfront about it, it might be covered under waranty. It had 1" of space at the top. I could have said, I had 20 Arabian virgins fanning it while I watched movies. These guys know their stuff so it made no sense to lie. He even said it, that if and when they go, it's because of improper placement.

SR9600.JPG

The main problem was the side. Notice the vents. I had no space. It was jammed in there.

rubso

Banned
ManaByte said:
AWESOME :D
DarkJediKnight said:
Yea, Beatboy. He's full of shit. He'll make 10 predictions and when 1 is right he's say: "I told you so".
:lol :lol *searching for Beatboy in AVS Forum*

SRG01

Okay, so now I'm definitely jumping in with Blu-Ray within the next few weeks, so I have a few questions, namely:

- Do I get the HDTV or the PS3 first?
- Should I get a smaller HDTV and use the difference to buy a good receiver, or not even bother?
- Any recommend brands that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I was thinking of some of the smaller Sharp Aquoses I can get from Costco... but I'm not sure if they're 1080p.

thaivo

Ignatz Mouse said:
Thaivo, go read this thread. Tell me how many people were saying "HD DVD is dead, Sony said so" and then see how many people were suckered in by the Wal*Mart FUD. We had three or four pages of that shit, based on speculation from an analysy who, if you google him, has a page up for his consulting/marketing business including "zero cost marketing" (aka viral marketing). Toshiba and Microsoft are listed as clients.

Seriously, go read and come back here with your interpretation of where the FUD comes from.

From my biased point of view, all of the the opinions that you mentioned above are a direct result and incontrovertable evidence of the FUD that Sony and the BD group has been spreading over the last two plus years. :D

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
thaivo said:
From my biased point of view, all of the the opinions that you mentioned above are a direct result and incontrovertable evidence of the FUD that Sony and the BD group has been spreading over the last two plus years. :D

delusion...

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!

rubso

Banned
SRG01 said:
Okay, so now I'm definitely jumping in with Blu-Ray within the next few weeks, so I have a few questions, namely:

- Should I get a smaller HDTV and use the difference to buy a good receiver, or not even bother?
- Any recommend brands that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I was thinking of some of the smaller Sharp Aquoses I can get from Costco... but I'm not sure if they're 1080p.
Priorities:
1- HDTV ( FULL HD )
2- PS3
3- anything else

New 40"+ Sharp Aquose HDTV supports 1080p resolution, did you take a look at the Samsung FULL HDTVs? they're really good.

karasu

Crayon Shinchan said:
Why did you say it in the first place? Watched the old version of Fifth element on a 1080i or something?

It was Kiss of the Dragon. It looked like shit. I took it out and put on Kung Fu Hustle and that looked amazing. It was definitely a knee jerk reaction on my part.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
rubso said:
Priorities:
1- HDTV (Picture Quality >resolution)
2- PS3
3- anything else

New 40"+ Sharp Aquose HDTV supports 1080p resolution, did you take a look at the Samsung FULL HDTVs? they're really good.
Fixed.
Seriously 1080p at 32 inches is utterly worthless.
Hell i even told me friend who asked me last night not to buy a 1080p 42" cause i know he doesnt have an HD disc player.

rubso

Banned
karasu said:
It was Kiss of the Dragon. It looked like shit. I took it out and put on Kung Fu Hustle and that looked amazing. It was definitely a knee jerk reaction on my part.
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/kissofthedragon.html
o_o

EDIT:
captive said:
Fixed.
Hell i even told me friend who asked me last night not to buy a 1080p 42" cause i know he doesnt have an HD disc player.
I didn't know that there are 1080p 32" HDTVs >.>
but if SRG01 going to buy a FULL HD, I'd recommend the Samsung, cause he seems to be interested in watching HD movies.

SRG01 said:

I'm not an audiophile, but I do have a basic (old) surround sound system. I think that's vital to the experience. So I would at least get some form of surround-sound system. That shouldn't cost too much if you don't already have one.

For higher-end stuff, I really don't know. DarkJediKnight or KLeeGameFan are go to guys for the expensive equipment recommendations.

SRG01

captive said:
Fixed.

Serious? I'm just worried about buying 720p sets because the downscaling quality might be bad. :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
In defense of the format war and HD DVD (David Carnoy
Executive editor, CNET Review):
I read an article recently in Variety with the headline "Pressure mounts on U to turn Blu," which reported how Universal, the only major studio to offer HD DVD-exclusive titles, was being encouraged to put its films out on both HD DVD and Blu-ray. While Universal wouldn't be abandoning HD DVD, such a move would have a profound impact on the format war, and would probably spell doom for the HD DVD camp.

Knowing the stakes, format-war watchers have been monitoring the Universal situation closely, with the more conspiracy minded speculating on who's getting paid what to keep Universal from flipping. I have no idea, but I did run into Ken Graffeo, Executive VP of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment, at a Toshiba HD DVD event last month. I jokingly suggested that we weren't sure he was going to show up, what with all the rumors flying. He assured me that with the weather being so hot in New York, he wouldn't have been there if he didn't want to be--and that Universal's support for HD DVD remained unflagging. Graffeo also happens to be copresident of the HD DVD Promotional Group, so you can see how people might think that if Universal pulled out, the whole tent might come crashing down.

As the format war enters its next phase--the lead-up to the holiday buying season--Toshiba and its partners (read: Microsoft) have gone with a two-pronged attack: they're touting new, long-promised special features along with lower prices on the players. (The new features work even on the oldest HD DVD players, so long as they have the latest firmware.) It's a good strategy--if not their only strategy--though I think the whole special-features angle will only give HD DVD a short-term boost, and a very small one at that.

All marketing stories have a history, and this one is no exception. Before we got into this whole format war, the HD DVD camp went out and did some sort of study and came back with data that said that consumers were going to replace their existing DVDs with HD DVDs only if the new disc offered something beyond better video quality. And better sound quality--lossless DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD soundtracks that go beyond what you can hear on standard DVDs--wasn't going to cut it either. No, what people wanted was snazzy, new extras and more interactivity. Or so I've been told.

It seems Blu-ray backers did a similar study, because they also like to talk up their format's special features. Sadly, however, a lot of them haven't come to fruition yet or simply don't work with existing players. While I've been accused of being a Blu-ray fanboy (one reader recently suggested I was enjoying time on the Sony yacht this summer), I'm unbiased enough to point out that the HD DVD specification is better in a lot of ways. For example, all HD DVD players are required to support Ethernet connections, dual video streams (picture-in-picture), Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD soundtrack decoding, and "persistent storage" (onboard flash memory). That makes for a much more uniform experience on HD DVD players (of course, it helps when only one company is making them). By comparison, none of those features are required on Blu-ray players. And while Blu-ray uses Java for its discs' special features, HD DVD uses a Microsoft alternative called HDi. It's great that Java is a widely used standard, but when it doesn't work, who cares?

For the moment anyway, the proprietary HDi is proving superior--one reason you'll find The Matrix Trilogy and Batman Begins, both with ample interactive features, on HD DVD, but not yet on Blu-ray. Don't think Sony will let the features gap remain wide for long: Blu-ray Profile 1.1 is already on deck, and it promises to bring more HD DVD-like certainty to future Blu-ray players (though Internet connectivity, apparently, remains optional). For now, however, HD DVD has the hardware advantage, and the HD DVD Promotional Group is right to play the "extras" card as it looks for any sort of edge or momentum in its underdog bid to outlast Blu-ray.

If all of this seems a little mind boggling, I'll try to put it in real terms. You can get a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about by looking at the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD versions of Blood Diamond, a Warner Bothers release. The usual director's commentary is available on both discs, but the HD DVD version offers something called In-Movie Experience (IME) video commentary. The key thing here is that, instead of getting a voiceover from the director (or actors) as you watch the movie in commentary mode, you get a little picture-in-picture video of the director talking over the movie. Currently, not all Blu-ray players support this sort of feature. On top of that, the HD DVD version of Blood Diamond allows you to access an additional set of Web-enabled extras via your HD DVD player's built-in Ethernet connection. These include an interactive online poll and map with factoids pertaining to war-torn areas in Africa.

Toshiba and Microsoft have also been showing off the special features of the upcoming HD DVD version of 300, another Warner title. As part of the IME mode, you'll be able to view in a small PIP-box how the scene was shot using a blue-screen background while the CGI-enhanced final screen version runs on your TV. There's also a minigame you can play. On the Web-enabled front, you can choose your favorite scenes from the film and share your bookmarks with other users. And with Universal pledging that all of its HD DVD releases in the fall and beyond be Web-enabled, you can bet that 300 isn't the last time you'll see this feature.

Just how neat-o this stuff seems depends partly on how much of a film nerd you are. Some of it is genuinely cool, but some of the extras fall into the overkill department, and I'm not sure the whole idea of going beyond what's already on the disc makes a whole lot of sense. Yes, some film buffs--buff and nerds aren't quite the same, but the differences probably aren't worth getting into--will relish all the extras, but the vast majority of consumers don't necessarily get all that jazzed about another layer of bonus features, especially if you have to pay a $5 to $10 premium for them. Personally, I barely have time to watch the movies themselves, and I just don't see the point in taking the time to highlight my favorite scenes. You want to get into special features--real special features--give me an hour or two of extra raw footage to work with, and I'll do some editing and pay extra to do it. I'd like to chop a good 45 minutes or more out of Peter Jackson's King Kong, for instance.

Marketing hijinks aside, with DVD being as good as it is, it's hard to get users to kick the habit. Ultimately, what 90 percent of people are looking for is a DVD replacement that costs basically the same as what they have now. They want a sub-$100 HD DVD or Blu-ray player and movies that are priced the same as DVDs--or less. Yeah, some folks might go out and replace a few of their favorite DVDs with the new improved HD DVD versions, but the reality is someday--and sooner than Toshiba or Sony might like--an HD DVD or Blu-Ray player isn't going to be a premium purchase; it's going to cost $99, and all this extra money studios are talking about spending on snazzy extra features isn't going to make economic sense for the majority of titles produced.

In other words, Toshiba, the HD DVD Promotion Group, and Microsoft can talk all they want about interactivity and in-movie experiences, but the only way HD DVD is winning this war is on price. As it stands, this is a race to the bottom, and the more I look at it, the more I realize that I was wrong to think that a format war was bad. We need these guys to beat each other up. We need Toshiba and Microsoft to push Sony and its allies to make better and cheaper Blu-ray players. We need Universal to stay red. We need this war, folks. Give it a chance.

captive

rubso said:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/kissofthedragon.html
o_o

EDIT:

I didn't know that there are 1080p 32" HDTVs >.>
but if SRG01 going to buy a FULL HD, I'd recommend the Samsung, cause he seems to be interested in watching HD movies.
Pretty sure theres a few, i read it wrong thought he said 32" TV
Even still 1080p at 40" you have to be at 5' or less to notice any difference.
Im sure kleegan or onix or darkjedi can explain it better than me.
resolution_chart.png

captive said:
Pretty sure theres a few, i read it wrong thought he said 32" TV
Im sure kleegan or onix or darkjedi can explain it better than me.
resolution_chart.png
That's a bunch of ****ing bullshit which never ceases to irritate me.

Unless you have the eyesight of a ****ing mole, the difference in pixel density is very visible.

captive

MickeyKnox said:

Unless you have the eyesight of a ****ing mole, the difference in pixel density is very visible.
A simple i disagree would have sufficed. /eyeroll.

If you enjoy paying exponentially more for a small upgrad in resolution, ESPECIALLY under 50" more power to you.

I heard someone over at AVS say this once "im convinced that people with 1080p sets are convinced there is a difference, and people without 1080p sets are convinced there isnt much of a difference"

MickeyKnox said:

I agree . . . its is like the "humans can only notice up to 24 frames per second" bullshit.

SRG01

MickeyKnox said:

:lol What did I start here... :lol

Back on topic: I'm looking mainly at the 42-46" range, since there seems to be a signficant price jump going from the 40s to the 50s....

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
VanMardigan said:
In defense of the format war and HD DVD (David Carnoy
Executive editor, CNET Review):

It's a long winded and interesting article, but it fails to take into consideration a couple things...

If none of the media companies budge, then HD-DVD doing better only prolongs consumer confusion; buy the $99 HD-DVD player... that doesn't play half of the movies you want to see in HD.

Or buy the $150 BD player... but even that doesn't play all the movies.

Unfortunately, people are by and large pretty stupid. They only tend to discover things after the fact when they need it, rather than doing research ahead of time; people will pick up HD-DVD and think... wait a minute, why can't I find all these movies? Or, maybe they can; buy the BD, bring it back and think... why can't this HD disc play on my player?

Any advantage this kind temporary advantage that a faster, vicious price war may have will be offset by the confusion it brings to the market.

The other point that is missed is that; player prices will drop down sooner or later; BD manufacturers, even without competing with HD-DVD will compete among themselves.

DVD, without external format competition (DivX is far less of a competition back then as HD-DVD is to BD now), the prices still managed to come down, within relatively short order.

Moreover... to me as an enthusiast... market adoption really isn't my key interest; it's product availability. I don't give a lick about what the market is doing, as long as its strong enough to support a single format, with all the new releases (and with constant releases of older catalogue titles).

captive said:
A simple i disagree would have sufficed. /eyeroll.

If you enjoy paying exponentially more for a small upgrad in resolution, ESPECIALLY under 50" more power to you.

I heard someone over at AVS say this once "im convinced that people with 1080p sets are convinced there is a difference, and people without 1080p sets are convinced there isnt much of a difference"
Yep because my 37" 1080p set cost so much more than..... Oh WAIT! it didn't. Sub $1000 "True" HD FTW.

rubso

Banned
VanMardigan said:
On the Web-enabled front, you can choose your favorite scenes from the film and share your bookmarks with other users. And with Universal pledging that all of its HD DVD releases in the fall and beyond be Web-enabled, you can bet that 300 isn't the last time you'll see this feature.
AWESOMENESS!
nice article.

captive said:
http://www.carltonbale.com/wp-content/uploads/resolution_chart.png
thanks for the diagram image, very informative. *saved*

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
MickeyKnox said:

The point the chart tries to make is that; while it does make a difference, what really makes a difference is how large those pixels are on your retina; i.e. the smallest degree of change that is noticable to human perception. (edit: called cycles per degree, or angular resolution)

the degree of change is a function of screen size, number of pixels and seating distance.

Past a certain point, even a person with healthy 20/20 eyesight isn't going to resolve a difference.

You only have that many retinal cells that can pick up detailed color information at your fovea (the highest point of concentration of cones in your retina), much less the rest of your eye. Your fovea can only resolve so much information... past a certain point, the information becomes extraneous and imperceptible.

At 50 feet, you're not going to see a difference between a 1980*1080p screen with source outputting to it natively at 1080p, or a 480p screen with the same 1080p source been output onto that, even if your screen is 100" large.

Petrarca

Banned
Sony Unwraps 'Memoirs of a Geisha' on Blu-ray

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...ny_Unwraps_Memoirs_of_a_Geisha_on_Blu-ray/782

original.jpeg

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced it will bring the Oscar-winning spectacle 'Memoirs of a Geisha' to Blu-ray this September.

The lavish period epic, which took home four technical Academy Awards, will hit Blu-ray on September 25.

In addition to 1080p video and uncompressed PCM 5.1 audio, the supplemental package will be a slim one, with only a single production audio commentary among the bonus features.

Sony has set a $28.95 list price for the Blu-ray.

We've added full specs for 'Memoirs of a Geisha' to our Blu-ray Release Schedule, under September 25.

Crayon Shinchan said:
The point the chart tries to make is that; while it does make a difference, what really makes a difference is how large those pixels are on your retina; i.e. the smallest degree of change that is noticable to human perception. (edit: called cycles per degree, or angular resolution)

the degree of change is a function of screen size, number of pixels and seating distance.

Past a certain point, even a person with healthy 20/20 eyesight isn't going to resolve a difference.

You only have that many retinal cells that can pick up detailed color information at your fovea (the highest point of concentration of cones in your retina), much less the rest of your eye. Your fovea can only resolve so much information... past a certain point, the information becomes extraneous and imperceptible.

At 50 feet, you're not going to see a difference between a 1980*1080p screen with source outputting to it natively at 1080p, or a 480p screen with the same 1080p source been output onto that, even if your screen is 100" large.
I completely understand and agree with the concept behind the idea. The thing that pisses me off isn't where the cut off ends but the relative starting points where screen size and distance begin to make pixel density moot are ****ing laughable.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
MickeyKnox said:
I completely understand and agree with the concept behind the idea. The thing that pisses me off isn't where the cut off ends but the relative starting points where screen size and distance begin to make pixel density moot are ****ing laughable.

Yeah, that chart is pretty dodgy.

On the subject of decpetive PR and FUD, I'd put that article that showed up a few days ago about monuting pressure on Universal to go neutral in the same category. It's exactly the kind of FUD that the HD-DVD group has been putting out tons of, the BD group does it too. Just not as much of it lately.

michaeld

Banned
Does this Amir guy post in this thread? I saw his name in the gaming board and they claimed this guy is some head honcho with MS over HD-DVd and he trolls avs forums...surely this isn't true.

jjasper

michaeld said:
Does this Amir guy post in this thread? I saw his name in the gaming board and they claimed this guy is some head honcho with MS over HD-DVd and he trolls avs forums...surely this isn't true.

:lol No Amir doesn't post here, although that would be fun

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
michaeld said:

Yep, he's the head HD DVD evangelist, but he doesn't troll AVS boards. 1 out of 2 for the gaming forum ain't bad. I do wish he would post here, but he's active almost daily in the insider's thread at AVS and also answering questions at high def digest. In both roles, he'll offer his insight and answer questions. Can you link me to the thread where his name showed up?

Raistlin

captive said:

For the love of god ... WILL PEOPLE QUIT WITH THIS SHIT?!!?

I'm really fed up with a number of of posters completely disregarding viewing distance. Nice strawman.

BTW - Small increase in resolution? :lol 480->720 = 1.5x resolution. 720->1080 = 1.5x resolution. :/

BTW2 - Exponentially more!?!?!? WTF!?!? :lol Obviously that comes down to the specific model. Jeez. In most cases, it is barely a logorithmic increase.

FUD FUD FUD

michaeld

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Yep, he's the head HD DVD evangelist, but he doesn't troll AVS boards. 1 out of 2 for the gaming forum ain't bad. I do wish he would post here, but he's active almost daily in the insider's thread at AVS and also answering questions at high def digest. In both roles, he'll offer his insight and answer questions. Can you link me to the thread where his name showed up?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7092968&postcount=324
if he's anything like that Amir guy, who apparently microsoft hired as a VP of the hd-dvd division so he can spend his entire day over at AVSForums trolling blu-ray, then i wouldn't be surprised if Bell becomes a regular poster here.

captive

Onix said:
For the love of god ... WILL PEOPLE QUIT WITH THIS SHIT?!!?

I'm really fed up with a number of of posters completely disregarding viewing distance. Nice strawman.

BTW - Small increase in resolution? :lol 480->720 = 1.5x resolution. 720->1080 = 1.5x resolution. :/

BTW2 - Exponentially more!?!?!? WTF!?!? :lol Obviously that comes down to the specific model. Jeez. In most cases, it is barely a logorithmic increase.

FUD FUD FUD
Dude my point was that there is a difference, however Picture Quality should be the first priority, not ****ing screen resolution and everyone jumped all over my back saying 1080p is great no matter what the conditions.
How is it FUD, that generally a good 1080p set is going to cost more than a good 720p set?

Are you telling me you completly disagree that screen resolution coincides with seating distance and screen size?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Yeah, I realize HD-DVD's likely a doomed format, but I just closed a deal on a 360 HD-DVD drive along with King Kong, Children of Men, V for Vendetta, Clerks II, The Untouchables and, most importantly, Batman Begins for $200 and am just looking forward to some stuff to take advantage of my TV. As BluRay players get cheaper, I'll no doubt snatch one as well.

Raistlin

captive said:
Dude my point was that there is a difference, however Picture Quality should be the first priority, not ****ing screen resolution.

Certainly. you may want to actually add that little bit next time though :p

How is it FUD, that generally a good 1080p set is going to cost more than a good 720p set?

Reread the 3 points I contested.

FUD 1) You effectively state 1080p is worthless unless larger than 50". As I pointed out, you are completely disregarding viewing distance.

FUD 2) You most certainly did not stop at stating 1080p will cost more than 720p ... you stated exponentially more. That is simply untrue.

FUD 3) In another attempt to make 1080p sound insignficant, you state it is a small increase in resolution. The math says lol. It is the same increase from 720p, as 720p is from 480p. 1.5 times the res in each direction.

Are you telling me you completly disagree that screen resolution coincides with seating distance and screen size?

WHAT?!!?!? :lol

I'm saying it DOES ... you're the one that is saying it doesn't.

captive

WHAT?!!?!? :lol

I'm saying it DOES ... you're the one that is saying it doesn't.
I even stated viewing distance in this post right here that started all this shit, after micky shit a brick over it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7093768&postcount=6520

I never said that, god next time ill spell every last little bit out, i thought i was dealing with the people whom i learned from, over in the HDTV new gen gaming thread. I didnt think i would have to spell everything out for everyone.

And no i still wouldnt pay the extra money for 1080p under 50" unless i knew i was sitting extremly close to the TV. And i exagerated on the "exponentially" part, sue me. :lol

Yep because my 37" 1080p set cost so much more than..... Oh WAIT! it didn't. Sub $1000 "True" HD FTW.
Yea seriously brand and store please.
And whats the contrast ratio too, unless you got employee discount or something like that it cant have much of a contrast ratio.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
tedtropy said:
Yeah, I realize HD-DVD's likely a doomed format, but I just closed a deal on a 360 HD-DVD drive along with King Kong, Children of Men, V for Vendetta, Clerks II, The Untouchables and, most importantly, Batman Begins for $200 and am just looking forward to some stuff to take advantage of my TV. As BluRay players get cheaper, I'll no doubt snatch one as well.

good deal. I paid $160 for my add-on alone. Brand new, of course.

Raistlin

captive said:
I even stated viewing distance in this post right here that started all this shit, after micky shit a brick over it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7093768&postcount=6520

Then why would you feel the need to say, "ESPECIALLY under 50" ... and actually capitalize it? That train of thought is obviously disregarding viewing distance.

I really don't mean to pick on you, but I've seen similar statements all over the place ... and when statements like yours are made, it only undermines the fact that viewing distance needs to be considered.

All I'm asking is to watch the adjectives, etc. you're using ... otherwise, it appears that you are either spreading FUD or have an agenda.

Similar to the above statement (the 'ESPECIALLY'), you also state that the prices for 1080p TV's are 'exponentially' higher. Do you realize what exponentially means? Crap, in most cases ... the prices aren't even linearly higher. Also, your statement of 'small increase in resolution' ... that comes off pretty bad when you do the math :p

captive

Onix said:
Then why would you feel the need to say, "ESPECIALLY under 50" ... and actually capitalize it? That train of thought is obviously disregarding viewing distance.

I really don't mean to pick on you, but I've seen similar statements all over the place ... and when statements like yours are made, it only undermines the fact that viewing distance needs to be considered.

All I'm asking is to watch the adjectives, etc. you're using ... otherwise, it appears that you are either spreading FUD or have an agenda.

Similar to the above statement (the 'ESPECIALLY'), you also state that the prices for 1080p TV's are 'exponentially' higher. Do you realize what exponentially means? Crap, in most cases ... the prices aren't even linearly higher. Also, your statement of 'small increase in resolution' ... that comes off pretty bad when you do the math :p
I was in a hurry? I had to go move 30 stupid old Macs from one place to another for the arts department(lolz art people love their macs) so i quickly posted it.

I dont want to start a huge debate, but I understand 1080p is more pixels, but the difference in clarity and PQ from 480p content to 720p content is pretty large. At any seating distance anyone who isnt flatout blind is going to tell theres a difference, but not so much from 720p to 1080i/p, imo thats when seating distance and screen size relative to resolution start to matter. I think we can both agree on that, maybe?

As for that resolution chart, i never claimed it was the be all end all, its just a point of reference people, geez.

And Micky, still waiting on that brand and store on your awesome 1080p set you paid less than 1000 for.

All of this because some poor bastard asked advice on TV in here instead of the HDTV new gen thread.

Raistlin

captive said:
I was in a hurry? I had to go move 30 stupid old Macs from one place to another for the arts department(lolz art people love their macs) so i quickly posted it.

No problem ... debate ended. I simply do not want to see the same 1080p argument get started when its been gone over so many times before.

Petrarca

Banned
Cars to debut in Blu-ray November 6

http://www.hollywoodinhighdef.com/blog_detail.php?id=95

Cars to Make DeBlu on Nov. 6

"Cars" will debut in Blu on Nov. 6, according to a Disney exec with whom I was just chatting.
This sounds like it will be a pretty special Blu-ray Disc release with director John Lasseter taking a very hands-on approach to every nuance of the entire Blu-ray edition from the transfer to the Blu bonus features (in addition to all the extras from last year's DVD).
The coolest-sounding BD extra is maybe the most elaborate BD-J interactivity yet called "Car Finder," allowing users to search for the more than 200 different cars featured in the movie and even race the clock to find a specific car in a frozen frame of fill

Details of the makes and models of each car will also be accessible. (Sounds like a feature devised by reported car-nut Lasseter, doesn't it?)
All the featurettes and audio commentaries of the DVD, plus a previously unreleased Traffic School scene, are presented in a "Cinemavision" dashboard interface that allows users to view them any way they want, popping up during relevant parts of the movie or stand-alone.

Several of the shorts on the original DVD will be in hi-def on the Blu-ray version, which, by the way, I'm told is encoded in AVC.
And Disney is pricing it at $34.99 suggested retail, only $5 higher than last year's DVD edition. That DVD version was the big winner last night at the Entertainment Merchants Association's Home Media Expo in Las Vegas with three Home Entertainment Awards -- family, children's and sell-through title of the year.
Disney already reported yesterday (see my Tuesday blog) that they will be offering demos and hands-on play of the "Cars" bonus features at their 18-city road show tour of malls starting soon, so maybe some of you can feed us your early first-hand reports about the bonus features!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom