• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Crayon Shinchan said:
Yeah. BD manufacturers would've used their oligopoly to keep player prices artificially high and shut out a burgeoning market.

The rolleyes. They do not come big enough.

And what Toshiba at least historically did is better?

They were selling at a loss, in hopes of winning the war ... at which time, they would then raise the HW prices.

Raistlin

kaching said:
He can't feel more special than Graffeo does for continuing to shun potential customers.

And Mr. Hunt wasn't exactly alone in his sentiments either.

Ya rly.

Hunt had a cheering section ... I'm quite sure the same cannot be said aboue Graffeo.

Raistlin

Ignatz Mouse said:
Yet more about Univeral under pressure. Seriously, that's BD FUD. If I've been complaining about HD DVD FUD, it's only fair to point this out as well.

WTF!?!?!?

:lol :lol :lol

These are eyewitness accounts from the Home Media Expo events ... and a prior post contains quotes from an interview where Graffeo states THEY ARE under constant pressure to go neutral.

Where's the FUD?

Onix said:
WTF!?!?!?

:lol :lol :lol

These are eyewitness accounts from the Home Media Expo events ... and a prior post contains quotes from an interview where Graffeo states THEY ARE under constant pressure to go neutral.

Where's the FUD?

Check the link of my post.

thaivo

Onix said:
And what Toshiba at least historically did is better?

They were selling at a loss, in hopes of winning the war ... at which time, they would then raise the HW prices.

I think you misinterpreted the post that you're replying to. He was saying that that was untrue... thus the big roll eyes comment.

Additionally, a price hike after winning a price war is almost ludicrous. At worst, it would allow the victor to hold prices firm.

Crisis

Banned
Petrarca said:
Anyone watch Jay Leno last night?

Apparently blu-ray got some 30 seconds promotion from Leno when he interviewed Sandra Bullock. He held up each copy of Premonition DVD and Blu-ray. When Sandra asked Leno what blu-ray was. Leno said that blu-ray is a cool tech and that it's a step above HD

Good job Leno!!!

I don't watch Leno but I know he's on NBC, which is a part of Universal. Wouldn't that get him in a lot of trouble?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Crisis said:
I don't watch Leno but I know he's on NBC, which is a part of Universal. Wouldn't that get him in a lot of trouble?
Probably about as much trouble Conan O'Brien gets for constantly trashing NBC and their shitting programming and how they always come in 4th of all the networks.
"We're NBC, remember us? We used to have Seinfeld!" :lol

What annoys me is that Universal keeps touting U-control and HDI, yet they keep sticking DD+ 1.5mbps tracks on their releases. And worse - NO ONE FREAKING COMPLAINS!

Who gives a shit about extras if your main feature is lacking?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
DarkJediKnight said:
What annoys me is that Universal keeps touting U-control and HDI, yet they keep sticking DD+ 1.5mbps tracks on their releases. And worse - NO ONE FREAKING COMPLAINS!

Who gives a shit about extras if your main feature is lacking?
Why any HD disc gets released without PCM/Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD/MA is beyond me.
I was really disappointed when i bought Flags of Our Fathers to find out it was dolby digital, i didnt even buy it for me and i was disappointed.

Crisis

Banned
captive said:
Probably about as much trouble Conan O'Brien gets for constantly trashing NBC and their shitting programming and how they always come in 4th of all the networks.
"We're NBC, remember us? We used to have Seinfeld!" :lol

Well yeah, but that's a joke about the network itself. If you see that joke on Conan that means you're already watching it. It's quite another thing altogether to pitch a product that the suits probably don't want you to.

wasting

Banned
Crisis said:
Well yeah, but that's a joke about the network itself. If you see that joke on Conan that means you're already watching it. It's quite another thing altogether to pitch a product that the suits probably don't want you to.

Was he really pitching it? She asked him what it was. He says "step above hd", did he say hd dvd? doubt it.. im sure he said it meaning above hdtv

Chemo

Crisis said:
Why would they give a shit? They already know that they're going neutral. We're just waiting for the announcement.

Bebpo

Banned
I find it more funny that Sandra Bullock didn't know what Blu-ray was...

You'd think people in the film industry would be into the HD formats.

Raistlin

The Main Event said:
Check the link of my post.

If he was referring to the exaggerations fine ... I took it as a more general statement that he didn't think Universal is receiving constant pressure (which is obviously untrue).

Raistlin

Bebpo said:
I find it more funny that Sandra Bullock didn't know what Blu-ray was...

You'd think people in the film industry would be into the HD formats.

That's because they don't acutally do anything themselves. They have a custom installer set up everything ... and tell their 'helpers' to go fetch them a movie :p

3638.jpg

Final cover for cars. Very Pirates-like and that swoosh isn't as annoying. This will be the new video reference. The demo looks insanely sharp and vibrant.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
DarkJediKnight said:
[img.]http://dvd.themanroom.com/images/covers/bluray/large/3638.jpg[/img]

Final cover for cars. Very Pirates-like and that swoosh isn't as annoying. This will be the new video reference. The demo looks insanely sharp and vibrant.

I still don't think the swoosh is necessary though
BulletSad.gif

But that does not look as tacky

Petrarca

Banned
wasting said:
Was he really pitching it? She asked him what it was. He says "step above hd", did he say hd dvd? doubt it.. im sure he said it meaning above hdtv

he didn't say 'HD-DVD', but he did say 'it's a step above HD'

:lol my homies turning on me!

It's FUD because of the focus on such a non-newsworthy item. Do we need two articles (at least) about Universal feeling pressure the same week? One of which occurred *before* this conference?

Universal has been under pressure since at least CES, and Graffeo has been adamant since he took top spot. Which means that the state today is the exact same as it was months ago. So this is FUD.

Trust me, nobody wants Universal to publish Blu-ray more than I do. But I know FUD when I see it,a nd seeing two articles in the same week about it makes me think it's new anti-HD-DVD meme.

jjasper

Bebpo said:
How do you tell in the stores if it's the new 5th Element?

I'm tempted to get it, now that it's fixed.
according to the review:
A note on how to identify this edition on store shelves: While the box art for this remastered edition is nearly identical to the earlier Blu-ray release, the words "Experience High Definition" appear in silver foil, (not gray), and Dolby TrueHD is listed among the audio tracks on the back of the box on this new edition.

I saw Fifth Element last night (I had been holding off for the rerelease) and it was great. It's one my my more-often-rewatched movies, and it looked really really good in HD.

Petrarca said:
:lol :lol

Yes, we will enjoy Knocked Up, while you watch your Spidey 3 and Pirates 3.

Honestly this thread has been so shitty lately I don't even bother posting (which probably makes most of you happy), but come on, what's so lol worthy about knocked up coming out on HD DVD. It's an awesome movie that just happens to be put out by Universal.

On another note, I picked up The Big Lebowski on HD DVD this week and it looks really great. I would definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Petrarca said:

HD-DVD biggest hit

Movie rocks,not sure why you're laughing.

fatty

Why so much hate in here for HD-DVD? To me, neither format has emerged as superior. Picture quality is better but there isn't that dramatic jump from DVD as there was from VHS to DVD. A few of my current DVDs have such a great transfer that they rival high definition television. Add to this that I see both sides are pushing interactive features that are worthless. I'd be happier if they actually took advantages of some of the existing features on standard dvds, like the never used 'multiple angle' button on the remote. Yet I see some people in here taking a very passionate stance against one of the formats (particular HD-DVD), how come?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ignatz Mouse said:
I think this must be a 3 day cycle or so.

You mean where someone comes in and asks the question fatty did.... I was thinking more like once a week....

M3wThr33

Banned
fatty said:
Why so much hate in here for HD-DVD? To me, neither format has emerged as superior. Picture quality is better but there isn't that dramatic jump from DVD as there was from VHS to DVD. A few of my current DVDs have such a great transfer that they rival high definition television. Add to this that I see both sides are pushing interactive features that are worthless. I'd be happier if they actually took advantages of some of the existing features on standard dvds, like the never used 'multiple angle' button on the remote. Yet I see some people in here taking a very passionate stance against one of the formats (particular HD-DVD), how come?
Only 1 major movie studio isn't blu-ray.
If Universal would just give up and concede defeat this whole "war" would be over.

Petrarca said:

HD-DVD biggest hit

Knocked Up was a great comedy and at least it's not complete garbage like Bluray's biggest commercial hit coming called Spiderman 3. I can accept being biased -hell I'm biased too- but use your damn logic because othewise you're not better than the Sony haters in this forum.

Oni Jazar

Here's the Jay Leno conversation:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=877166

Leno: "and the Blu-ray is really cool..."

Bullock: "What is that?"

Leno: "You haven't seen the movie in Blu-ray? I mean like everything is like, like

Bullock: "Blue?"

(laughs)

Leno: well it's, it's more ray... but no, it's ahh enhanced, it's like above HD"

Bullock: "Is it? But HD for woman is not necessarily a good thing"

Leno: "Why is that?"

Bullock: "Have you seen HD, all of a sudden you see everything...we don't want to see that, you want it several generations away from this (motions hand over face)....kinda like what everyone is seeing at home right now they go "oh she doesn't look bad," that's because they don't see it in HD"

Leno: Blah, blah, blah...<mumbling some crap that is not funny>

Raistlin

Ignatz Mouse said:
:lol my homies turning on me!

It's FUD because of the focus on such a non-newsworthy item. Do we need two articles (at least) about Universal feeling pressure the same week? One of which occurred *before* this conference?

Universal has been under pressure since at least CES, and Graffeo has been adamant since he took top spot. Which means that the state today is the exact same as it was months ago. So this is FUD.

Trust me, nobody wants Universal to publish Blu-ray more than I do. But I know FUD when I see it,a nd seeing two articles in the same week about it makes me think it's new anti-HD-DVD meme.

I'm still not following your logic.

FUD would be to state that Universal is breaking under the pressure without any evidence.

These are articles simply restating that Universal is under pressure ... and the reason they were written was because new 'public' examples of the pressure came up. That is simply not FUD.

fatty

M3wThr33 said:
Only 1 major movie studio isn't blu-ray.
If Universal would just give up and concede defeat this whole "war" would be over.

I don't like having two competing formats out there either, but if it wasn't for this war, prices wouldn't be as low as they are.

And what reason does HD-DVD have to admit defeat? Even with taking PS3 into consideration, sales aren't that lopsided. Yeah, only 1 studio doesn't support blu-ray, but that's a pretty huge studio. Because we're this late into the game and clearly both sides aren't going anywhere for a while, I'd rather see more studios give in and support both formats. Regular consumers are confused enough as it is anyway.

Raistlin

fatty said:
Why so much hate in here for HD-DVD?

Most feel that if it isn't down to one format by next year, they will both likely end up niche at best.

To me, neither format has emerged as superior.

Most people want HD DVD to die because BD simply stands a better chance of making it at this point. It has dramatically better support ... and has been consistantly outselling HD DVD this year.

Onyx, the first article (referenced here, I think, or at engadgethd) didn't have any public evidence at all. It cited only a source in the BD Group. And the second one sounds more like some pro-BD people made noise and a conference and it was somehow turned into news.

Like I said, it's not the facts, it's the timing and the focus. There's nothing (but sales charts) to suggest Universal is closer to going Blu. I myself speculated that they wouldn't until post-holidays, when the writing on the wall was so clear there would be nothing left to gain in holding out.

fatty said:
I don't like having two competing formats out there either, but if it wasn't for this war, prices wouldn't be as low as they are.

And what reason does HD-DVD have to admit defeat? Even with taking PS3 into consideration, sales aren't that lopsided. Yeah, only 1 studio doesn't support blu-ray, but that's a pretty huge studio. Because we're this late into the game and clearly both sides aren't going anywhere for a while, I'd rather see more studios give in and support both formats. Regular consumers are confused enough as it is anyway.

Fact is the faster HD-DVD dies the faster the consumers will start buying HD products which will eventually become mainstream. As for prices they'll go down much faster when Bluray starts selling as a mainstream product and that will happen only when there's only one format. The only thing HD-DVD achieves right now is to confuse the consumers. And Toshiba doesn't need to admit defeat, the second Universal announces support for Blu-Ray HD-DVD will be dead.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
fatty said:

HD-DVD prices are the ones that are low...

on the BD side, prices seem to be lowering themselves relative to the PS3.

So the options are kinda shitty TBH; cheap, less compatible HD player.

Expensive, but much more compatible player... that also doubles as a game machine!

I don't see how its a tough decision to make on this forum of all places.

fatty said:

I don't really know if that's true. DVD prices dropped dramatically even after DiVX was dead. Really, these things are not that expensive to make, once the basic R and D and retooling costs are paid for.

Two-to-one sales is pretty lopsided for products that don;t have much else differentiating them. And having two formats is confusing, why would you want to keep both around?

M3wThr33

Banned
fatty said:

Prices will fall faster when Blu-ray movies compete with themselves as opposed to having to have a movie in 8 formats. (Blu-Ray, DVD, HD-DVD, HD-DVD+DVD, VHS, Downloadable, UMD, GBA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom