• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anecdotal - 300 was completely sold out on Blu-Ray at my local Circuit City yesterday, with like 8-10 left on HD-DVD. Asked the dude working there, and he said they stocked the same amount of both. Went in again today to see if more Blu-Ray 300s magically popped up, but there were none, with still 8-10 HD-DVD 300s.

LM4sure

Banned
chinmonster said:
Anecdotal - 300 was completely sold out on Blu-Ray at my local Circuit City yesterday, with like 8-10 left on HD-DVD. Asked the dude working there, and he said they stocked the same amount of both. Went in again today to see if more Blu-Ray 300s magically popped up, but there were none, with still 8-10 HD-DVD 300s.

OMG!!! Thanks for the newsflash. Please keep us updated!

Flo_Evans

thaivo said:
I'd recommend that you pick up the add on. It's a great deal. :D

However, I'm not sure I read your post right, but you know that the five free discs are from a limitted selection of discs that include Casablanca (awesome film classic) to the Rundown...

Ah crap I thought you could pick any! Hmm that makes it a little easier to resist.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
ManaByte said:
The majority of your friends are dumb.

No they're not. Hot Fuzz just isn't for everyone. I enjoyed it... but it'll be a very slow day before I rewatch it.

The whole thing is very... wallace and grommity!

Petrarca

Banned
I've seen Hot Fuzz, nothing special about it

Hot Fuzz is one of those typical 'NeoGAF movies' where it's only popular in this forum, but ignored anywhere else, just like Black Snake Moan or Snake on the Plane. They all flop in the box office

Petrarca said:

Hot Fuzz is one of those typical 'NeoGAF movies' where it's only popular in this forum, but ignored anywhere else, just like Black Snake Moan or Snake on the Plane. They all flop in the box office

How is making multiples of your budget considered a flop?

I "love" how the fact that this is only on HD DVD brings out pro-blu haters of the movie.

Hey, I want HD DVD to go quietly into the good night, but I don't have to pretend it has no good movies.

wasting

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
How is making multiples of your budget considered a flop?

I "love" how the fact that this is only on HD DVD brings out pro-blu haters of the movie.

Hey, I want HD DVD to go quietly into the good night, but I don't have to pretend it has no good movies.

:lol something tells me petra would be all over hot fuzz if it was a sony studio movie

Petrarca

Banned
wasting said:
:lol something tells me petra would be all over hot fuzz if it was a sony studio movie

Damn right!!!

since it's from the enemy studio, it has to be really really good, like Bourne, now that's a good movie

thaivo

Petrarca said:
Damn right!!!

since it's from the enemy studio, it has to be really really good, like Bourne, now that's a good movie

Yes, and what a good trio of movies they are...:D Gotta collect them all.:lol

Petrarca

Banned
thaivo said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

icon_mad.gif

thaivo

Interesting graph from the AVS forum... yes it is only Amazon, and only the top 10 per HD-DVD and BD... but... HD-DVD sure doesn't look dead from this graph.

cybereality said:
Looks like they already did!!!!

hddvd_creeping_up2.jpg

Petrarca said:

WTF? I know plenty of people outside of "NeoGAF" that love those movies. Financial success does not equal critical success.

Chemo

thaivo said:
Just looks like Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead and 300 did their job... really.
Except that Amazon numbers don't mean shit. When we get the numbers for this week, it's going to be a nice blue Pac-Man. As usual.

thaivo

Chemo said:
Except that Amazon numbers don't mean shit. When we get the numbers for this week, it's going to be a nice blue Pac-Man. As usual.

I know it's just one vendor, and overall the pie is still going to be mostly blue. It's just not going to be as blu. Couple this with increased add on sales activity, and there are a significant number of new HD-DVD owners out there.

http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=4612

Sales for Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 HD DVD Player this week increased 389 percent at Amazon.com following a 10 percent price cut..

Presently it's at 1200%

Chemo

thaivo said:
I know it's just one vendor, and overall the pie is still going to be mostly blue. It's just not going to be as blu. Couple this with increased add on sales activity, and there are a significant number of new HD-DVD owners out there.
Okay. That's fair enough. :)

Mode

Ignatz Mouse said:

I know at least one HD DVD owner who refuses to buy this movie. Doesn't really matter if you're pro-Blu or pro-HD DVD, this is just one of those movies that doesn't have that wide of an appeal.

thaivo

Mode said:
I know at least one HD DVD owner who refuses to buy this movie. Doesn't really matter if you're pro-Blu or pro-HD DVD, this is just one of those movies that doesn't have that wide of an appeal.

Hate to keep harping on Amazon, but Hot Fuzz is ranked #2 (and #22 for the HD-DVD) after only 300 for top selling DVD. It think it has some appeal. I also love how it's stands out of the four different versions of 300 which are #1,#3, #4 and #5 respectively. Then 300 comes up again at #15! :D

http://amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/dvd/ref=pd_ts_d_nav/103-4168529-7927024?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0GZ7P2VXTDKF2DN6RFN2&pf_rd_t=2101&pf_rd_p=221591101&pf_rd_i=home

Oni Jazar

thaivo said:
Interesting graph from the AVS forum... yes it is only Amazon, and only the top 10 per HD-DVD and BD... but... HD-DVD sure doesn't look dead from this graph.

More Amazon graphs.

Sales rank of top 25 products:

salesrank25-time-1-1-recent144.jpg

Sales rank of top 100 products:

salesrank100-time-1-1-recent144.jpg

Got 300 on Blu-ray....my word this movie is simply gorgeous!

It's like a moving painted canvas, and the action reminded me how it succeeds when most Hollywood action sequences fail miserably 99% of the time; full on fights that are well framed to the point there are loads of full long body camera shots replacing the heavily abused shaky cam and heavy edit fight sequences of most modern films. The action editing is simply out and out insanely ambitious, with entire sequences of action within frame and hardly any editing shot cuts! Western or Eastern action filming, that's amazing and ambitious.

I tried to get Hot Fuzz on DVD (don't have HD-DVD, the Blu-ray came with default with the PS3) at Best Buy....but the widescreen version was sold out!!! All the times trying to show the light that is widescreen over fullscreen to people seem to bite me in the ass in a funny way.

$&#&$*$(!!

MercuryLS

Banned
I proud of you GAF, you guys somehow brought the console war bullshit mentality to movies. What's next? Music? Books? Soft Drinks? Stamps?

MercuryLS said:
I proud of you GAF, you guys somehow brought the console war bullshit mentality to movies. What's next? Music? Books? Soft Drinks? Stamps?
GAF didn't bring this bullshit to movies, the creators of Blu-ray and HD-DVD did. They made this mess, we just have to live with it.

MercuryLS said:

We didn't land on Sherwood forest, Sherwood forest landed on us

Flo_Evans

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Got 300 on Blu-ray....my word this movie is simply gorgeous!

It's like a moving painted canvas, and the action reminded me how it succeeds when most Hollywood action sequences fail miserably 99% of the time; full on fights that are well framed to the point there are loads of full long body camera shots replacing the heavily abused shaky cam and heavy edit fight sequences of most modern films. The action editing is simply out and out insanely ambitious, with entire sequences of action within frame and hardly any editing shot cuts! Western or Eastern action filming, that's amazing and ambitious.

agree 100% while 300 might not end up a modern classic, it does what it aims to do extremely well. I don't really know if the credit should go to frank miller for storyboarding an awesome roller coaster ride, the editor for perfectly splicing the action or the cine photographer for capturing all of it on film, but 300 is a sigh of relief from action films that cut to camera B every punch. It really is an amazing achievement visually. my only complaint would be a slight heavy use of slo-mo, but even though I noticed it, it never really bothered me.

MercuryLS said:

We've been debating Root Beers since early this evening in the Halo 3 thread.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Universal is the only thing making my bluray-only stance painful. I'd love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and many of their other releases.

I'm giving them until Easter next year to go neutral and start releasing on bluray. If they don't then I may have to cave and buy a cheap standalone player.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For those who want their Starship Troopers fix, you could always import the UK version, its been confirmed as ALL region.

TBH Didn't even realise there was a UK version, but there is, and its out already

jjasper

Why did someone bring Amazon graphs in here again? They should be banned they are completely worthless at determining sales numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom