• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
ManaByte said:
Chow Yun Fat reloaded his guns in that movie. Everyone knows that Inspector Tequila has magic guns that NEVER need to be reloaded.

In Hard Boiled and The Killer you rarely, if ever see a gun run out of ammo. Here, there are at least two scenes where Chow Yun-Fat is unloading rounds into someone, and his clip runs out. That would've never happened in a Inspector Tequila flick.

Tequila knows how to count bullets. And load off screen.

gstaff

I'm playing 300 on my denon 2807 receiver...is there a way to know which audio track is the Dolby TrueHD vs PCM vs regular DD?

el Diablo

Banned
gstaff said:
I'm playing 300 on my denon 2807 receiver...is there a way to know which audio track is the Dolby TrueHD vs PCM vs regular DD?

Selecting the track from the pop up menu is the best way to go since you'll be picking what track you'll be listening to. Pretty sure your receiver will only list LCPM as it's input since no BD player outputs bitstream.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Second week in a row now that I've look for new HD releases and only found the one "big" title (which was 300 this time around). No Hot Fuzz anywhere, no Shaun of the Dead, Darkman, or Blue Planet, and still no Host. I'm honestly feeling like giving up on the whole high-def game until it gains more of a base or these studios figure out a decent distribution plan because I'm sick of not being able to find anything I want to buy.

DarkJediKnight said:
3922.jpg

Cover. I hated this movie even though I'm a Chow Yun Fat junkie. Some of you probably worship it. :D

Like this movie or hate it, the intro is just one of the best examples of badassery to ever hit the cinema.

thaivo

Just finished watching 300 (I missed it in the theater). Wow! I can see this disc paying for itself in repeat viewings, and then as a showpiece for friends and family of HD-DVD.

I watched some of the simultaneous blue screen action to see what it was like, and it was quite a bit better than I thought it would turn out. It's interesting not only to see the blue screen, and how they replaced things, but also all the added effects and image adjustments. I can't see myself watching it completely, as Zack Snyder mentioned the blue screen almost every time... but nice extra overall.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Hotarubi said:
Second week in a row now that I've look for new HD releases and only found the one "big" title (which was 300 this time around). No Hot Fuzz anywhere, no Shaun of the Dead, Darkman, or Blue Planet, and still no Host. I'm honestly feeling like giving up on the whole high-def game until it gains more of a base or these studios figure out a decent distribution plan because I'm sick of not being able to find anything I want to buy.

Did you try Target? I went to Best Buy and Hot Fuzz was sold out. I didn't see any copies of Shaun of the Dead either not sure they actually got it in. So I headed next door to Target not expecting to find anyting but I got lucky they had 1 copy of Hot Fuzz HD left. 300 was sold out @ Target on both HD and Blu-ray

Raistlin

AgentOtaku said:
the 300 double dipping wouldn't bother me if they say, realized that they released a sort "gimped" product early on and offer an exchange program ala 5th Element...

....doubt it will happen though =/

That won't happen, since it ain't 'gimped' The video quality is amazing, there are a ton of extras, and it has lossless audio.

Moviestop here has a special where you trade in four movies and you get $20 toward a Blu Ray or HDdvd movie so I took in a stack of crappy movies I have been wanting to get rid of (mainly movies that are being released on BR) and picked up 300, Letters from Iwo Jima, and Reign of Fire for next to nothing.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
ManaByte said:
How it looks with 300 now:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/manabyte/gaf/hd-dvdlibrary.jpg[/IMG]

Need to get both Pirates on BRD still. Will update the BRD library when I do.

We're not really interested in seeing your movie library EVERYTIME YOU UPDATE it. So please, save us the bandwidth.

We're not really interested in seeing you bitch about his movie library EVERYTIME YOU seem him UPDATE it. So please, save us the bandwidth.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
BradVanDam said:
We're not really interested in seeing you bitch about his movie library EVERYTIME YOU seem him UPDATE it. So please, save us the bandwidth.

Go F--- yourself. That is the first time I've said anything about his movie library.

thaivo

ManaByte said:
hd-dvdlibrary.jpg

Where is 300? I don't see it. Edit: You updated it.. lol.. You got the two Bourne films too eh? I'm jealous.

Crayon Shinchan said:
Go F--- yourself. This is the first time I've said anything about his movie library.
Crayon, are you this short-tempered in real life? :D

Anyway.... I kind of regret picking up A Scanner Darkly and V for Vendetta from Fry's. Paid only $12 bucks for them, but they're not very good. A Scanner Darkly isn't bad by any stretch, it's just not really something anyone else I know would watch, and although the image quality is unbelievable, I'm not one to watch a movie simply because of its clarity.

V for Vendetta is just sort of a mess, and some of the scenes and actors (John Hurt, especially) kind of get on my nerves. Perhaps they're supposed to be annoying, but I thought the movie was quite shallow and rather pretentious.

Do you think I'll be able to get $12 bucks for each on Ebay? :D

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
At my store, copies of 300 flew off the shelf for both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. We got about 7 or 8 Blu-ray copies and 4 or 5 HD copies and they both sold out. Hot Fuzz also sold out on HD, Though e only had 4 copies I think to start off with. Shooter on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD didn't sell any copies, afaik.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Grabbed 300 on Blu today...and couldn't resist picking up Coming to America and Unforgiven while I was there. Best Buy was having a sale, so the last two cost me 30 bucks total. Best Blu-Ray deal I've had since picking up my PS3.

Crayon Shinchan said:
Go F--- yourself. This is the first time I've said anything about his movie library.
breathe

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Crayon Shinchan said:

*that* was the first time. *this* would be the second :p

I just use DVD profiler. You can print reports out how you want. Not sure if you can get it looking like that, but you could probably get close. I might have a play.

bud

bishoptl said:
Grabbed 300 on Blu today...and couldn't resist picking up Coming to America and Unforgiven while I was there. Best Buy was having a sale, so the last two cost me 30 bucks total. Best Blu-Ray deal I've had since picking up my PS3.

breathe

one of eddie's best movies. too bad he doesn't make 'em like that anymore :(

djkimothy

An interesting article about the perception of combo discs. Of course, this is just another opinion piece paid off by the BDA... So let's just get that out of the way.

Stole this from highdefdigest forums...

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/is-hd-dvd-trying-to-lose

Is HD DVD Trying to Lose?
by Clint DeBoer

Hybrid HD DVD formatted discs committing suicide?
As many of you know I have been somewhat of a critic of the high definition DVD format war. I have never understood how apparent shortsightedness and desire for short-term corporate licensing profits could have prevented so many companies from embracing a unified format. Instead, most companies are bent (I could end the sentence here) on duking it out and forcing customers to flip the bill and go through the decision-making process.

But HD DVD of late seems to WANT to fail. Or at least the software companies backing that format (Warner Home Video in particular) want it to fail.

I mean, what other reason would there be for the hybrid HD DVD/DVD format?

Here is an advertisement in a local Circuit City flyer I received this week:

<go to link for pic>

So, we see from this flyer that "HD DVD discs cost more than Blu-ray". THIS is what the consumer sees when they go to the store. This is what the consumer sees when they look at the flyer. The consumer doesn't realize that this is a hybrid DVD and HD DVD format disc.

And the consumer doesn't care.

Because NO consumers are going to WANT hybrid HD DVD/DVD discs.

Why won't consumers want these hybrid discs? Because no one likes to spend 3x the cost of a regular DVD just to have a disc available in the eventuality they decide to buy a high definition DVD player whose format may or may not exceed niche status let alone "win" the current format war.

People with HD DVD players already are simply being forced to pay for the additional cost of manufacturing and mastering that goes into including the DVD side. They get no real benefit and in fact would do better if they could just buy a straight HD DVD disc.

In case this isn't apparent enough to our readers, please read my lips: Warner Home Video, whether on purpose or by sheer bad taste, is sticking it to HD DVD. There is no option for consumers to purchase HD DVD only versions of this (or other current) movies from Warner Home Video. So what's going to happen? People are going to think twice - that's what. And people are going to start wondering why HD DVD movies (in some cases) cost more than their Blu-ray counterparts.

duckroll

For importers with money to spare, BV Japan has more announcements:

http://product.bandaivisual.co.jp/web_service/shop_product_info.asp?item_no=BCXA-0011

Spriggan

Blu-ray: JP LPCM 5.1 and LPCM Surround tracks. No subs.

DVD: JP Dolby Digital Surround and DTS 5.1 tracks. No subs.

http://product.bandaivisual.co.jp/web_service/shop_product_info.asp?item_no=BCXA-0012

Metropolis

Blu-ray: JP LPCM 5.1 and LPCM Surround tracks. JP subs.

DVD: JP Dolby Digital Surround and DTS 5.1 tracks. JP subs.

And the BIG one....

http://product.bandaivisual.co.jp/web_service/shop_product_info.asp?item_no=BCXA-0013

MEMORIES

Blu-ray: JP LPCM 5.1 and LPCM Surround tracks. English subs.

DVD: JP Dolby Digital Surround and 5.1 tracks. English subs.

Prices remain the same retarded BV price of 10,200yen. All 3 titles hit on 23rd November 2007.

Note: For those unfamiliar, these are Blu-ray+DVD packs. There are NO more HD-DVD announcements from BV Japan.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In case this isn't apparent enough to our readers, please read my lips: Warner Home Video, whether on purpose or by sheer bad taste, is sticking it to HD DVD. There is no option for consumers to purchase HD DVD only versions of this (or other current) movies from Warner Home Video. So what's going to happen? People are going to think twice - that's what. And people are going to start wondering why HD DVD movies (in some cases) cost more than their Blu-ray counterparts.

at least HD-DVD is getting big releases :/

Solo

ManaByte said:
hd-dvdlibrary.jpg

Alphatbetical by title? Ew! Alphabetical by director FTW. Chronological within one director's films.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
+1 BRD 300 for me.
I have come to the conclusion that my best buy sucks ass. They were completely out of planet earth on blu-ray yesterday, they never get new games when they come out, and some guy was looking for Hot Fuzz on HD DVD and the store clerk was like it didnt come out on HD DVD and i was like yea it did, so they looked and they didnt have it.

yacobod

Banned
captive said:
I have come to the conclusion that my best buy sucks ass. They were completely out of planet earth on blu-ray yesterday, they never get new games when they come out, and some guy was looking for Hot Fuzz on HD DVD and the store clerk was like it didnt come out on HD DVD and i was like yea it did, so they looked and they didnt have it.

i'm glad i buy all my discs online

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Those Warner inner-case slips remind me of the old pamphlets that my Sega Master System games came with. Funny stuff.

The Fountain on Blu-Ray would be stupendously awesome, though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
captive said:
+1 BRD 300 for me.

Yea BB told me Shaun of the Dead was only on Blu-Ray when I asked for it yesterday. Retards.

thaivo

Found this in the gaming forum re- 360 Add On:

Alcibiades said:
Best Buy website dropped the price already:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8132095&st=360+hd-dvd&type=product&id=1158321865239

It's showing up at $149, not sure if that is a mistake or not, but some people are already ordering them for in-store pickup tomorrow...

$149 = HD DVD drive + King Kong + remote + 5 movies by mail-in

sounds like an incredible deal if they indeed honor it...
That is a nice deal!

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Sony/Street_Date_Delays/Sony_Puts_Starship_Troopers_Blu-ray_on_Hold/833

Only days after it was announced for next-gen release, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has indefinitely delayed the Blu-ray release of 'Starship Troopers.

The Paul Verhoeven cult classic was first announced earlier this week for a October 16 next-gen debut, along with another Verhoeven title, 'Hollow Man.'

However, we've just received word from Sony that while 'Hollow Man' remains on their Blu-ray schedule, 'Troopers' is now postponed.

The studio is still planning on releasing the title to Blu-ray, with a new date will be announced in the future. We'll certainly keep you posted.

How many times did this happen already?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Good, that movie is horrible. I have seen starship troopers several times and i just dont get what is so great about it.

is anime really that much better on the HD formats? It's probably just because I'm completely ignorant to the transfer process, but how much can HD really help cel-animation from the 1980's, for example?

I'm tempted to get that Honneamise BRD that Bebpo got. Very tempted.

TheJollyCorner said:
is anime really that much better on the HD formats? It's probably just because I'm completely ignorant to the transfer process, but how much can HD really help cel-animation from the 1980's, for example?

I'm tempted to get that Honneamise BRD that Bebpo got. Very tempted.

It is hard to describe without seeing it, but there is a huge difference.
My strongest suggestion would be pick up an import BR copy of Ghost in the Shell : Innocence and all will be answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom