• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

el Diablo

Banned
The Main Event said:
The 3 BD pack will get my money.

Yeah unfortunately me too (LOVED the first 2, HATED the 3rd). From the way they worded it it sounds like 3 will be the only one released seperately, guess we'll find out for sure today once the announcement goes out.

favouriteflavour said:
Actually Toshiba make some very good and highly regarded DVD players.

The response was to Toshiba making high quality equipment. The best thing Toshiba makes is the XA2 HD DVD player. There's a reason why their tvs and other electronics are so cheap - they ARE cheap. Search around for their problems with DLP tvs.
There are people willing to pay $4000 for a Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer tv, I'll bet you there's not many lining up for a $4000 Toshiba. Their prices are among the lowest, not because they do so out of the kindness of their hearts but because they would get creamed by the other Japanese manufacturers. Toshiba's claim to fame recently was DLP and Samsung is completely destroying them in that market with far more innovation, style and competitive prices.

el Diablo said:
Yeah unfortunately me too (LOVED the first 2, HATED the 3rd). From the way they worded it it sounds like 3 will be the only one released seperately, guess we'll find out for sure today once the announcement goes out.

I pretty much always get all the movies in a series no matter what their quality is :lol

I got all the Robocops (even the craptastic third one).
I'll get Pirates 3 (didn't see it yet and didn't like the 2nd).
Own Predator 2...and so on.

That said, I didn't hate Spiderman 3 even though it has its problems. It'll be great just to watch the action scenes in HD.

el Diablo

Banned
The Main Event said:
I pretty much always get all the movies in a series no matter what their quality is :lol

That said, I didn't hate Spiderman 3 even though it has its problems. It'll be great just to watch the action scenes in HD.

You are hardcore if you own Robocop 3 :D. I'm the same way though, if i like even one movie out of a series i'll end up buying them all just to have them. The only exception to that i've had is the Carlito's Way prequel, which as far as i'm concerned never happened....

djkimothy

The Main Event said:

If you didn't like the second, I don't think you'll like the third.

I hated the third but liked the second. Will still get the third as well though.

I bought an inexpensive (~$120) upscaling DVD played by Toshiba over a year ago to go with my then-new HD Projector.

Total crap. Died after about 4 months.

They may make good stuff, but their low-end stuff is, IMHO, garbage.

jjasper

djkimothy said:
If you didn't like the second, I don't think you'll like the third.

I hated the third but liked the second. Will still get the third as well though.

:lol I wasn't a big fan of the second but thought the third one was great.

The Main Event said:

Umm, did you forget to mention the MASSIVELY CRAPTASTIC Robocop 2 as well?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Star Wars prequels forcibly broke me of the urge to collect entire series, even if I don't like all the movies in that series. Even just owning the Phantom Menace at this point makes me a little ashamed.

I wish I liked the Spiderman movies. Sam Rami, Bruce Campbell fanservice mixed into the Spiderman universe... should have been something I really dug but the 1st 2 movies just never clicked and I haven't bothered to see the last one considering how badly it got panned by many.

Ignatz Mouse said:
I bought an inexpensive (~$120) upscaling DVD played by Toshiba over a year ago to go with my then-new HD Projector.

Total crap. Died after about 4 months.

They may make good stuff, but their low-end stuff is, IMHO, garbage.

That can happen to anything. My $4000 Marantz receiver fried and it's being fixed. So anything can go, but Toshiba across their entire line screams "budget". I'm trying to think of something high end that Toshiba makes.

DarkJediKnight said:
That can happen to anything. My $4000 Marantz receiver fried and it's being fixed. So anything can go, but Toshiba across their entire line screams "budget". I'm trying to think of something high end that Toshiba makes.

Oh, it wasn't just crap because it died.

1) Would lock up with certain scratched discs
2) Was more sensetive to scratches than my venerable PS2
3) Could not keep straight my preferences for resolution
4) was a pain to set up
5) Over HDMI, would occasionally lose signal resulting in a brilliant blue screen for a moment on my wall (which really, really takes you out of a movie). For a while I thought I had a bad cable, but that same cable works fine now that I have a PS3.

...and THEN it died. If it weren't already junk, I would have attempted to get warranty repair or a replacement, but I just wrote it off as a loss and threw the dead thing away.

So, naturally, I've been a little hesitant on the A2 for reasons more than just not wanting to support two players.

Petrarca

Banned
Data's out

BD: 66
HD: 34

SPANKING!!!!!!

HD DVD
The Bourne Identity (Universal)
The Contract (First Look)
Deep Purple: Live at Montreux 2006 (Rhino)
The Host (Magnolia)
In Good Company (Universal)
Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps (Universal)
Out for Justice (Warner)
Purple Rain (Warner)
Santana: Hymns for Peace - Live at Montreux 2004 (Rhino)
Scent of a Woman (Universal)
Streets of Fire (Universal)
Yes: Live at Montreux (Rhino)

12 releases - 9 exclusive

BD
The Host (Magnolia)
Out for Justice (Warner)
Purple Rain (Warner)
Weeds: Season Two (Lionsgate)

4 releases - 1 exclusive

hmmaug5.jpg

hmmaug5top10.jpg

Petrarca said:
Data's out

BD: 66
HD: 34

SPANKING!!!!!!

HD DVD
The Bourne Identity (Universal)
The Contract (First Look)
Deep Purple: Live at Montreux 2006 (Rhino)
The Host (Magnolia)
In Good Company (Universal)
Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps (Universal)
Out for Justice (Warner)
Purple Rain (Warner)
Santana: Hymns for Peace - Live at Montreux 2004 (Rhino)
Scent of a Woman (Universal)
Streets of Fire (Universal)
Yes: Live at Montreux (Rhino)

12 releases - 9 exclusive

BD
The Host (Magnolia)
Out for Justice (Warner)
Purple Rain (Warner)
Weeds: Season Two (Lionsgate)

4 releases - 1 exclusive

hmmaug5.jpg

IIM.jpg

DarkJediKnight said:
The response was to Toshiba making high quality equipment. The best thing Toshiba makes is the XA2 HD DVD player. There's a reason why their tvs and other electronics are so cheap - they ARE cheap. Search around for their problems with DLP tvs.
There are people willing to pay $4000 for a Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer tv, I'll bet you there's not many lining up for a $4000 Toshiba. Their prices are among the lowest, not because they do so out of the kindness of their hearts but because they would get creamed by the other Japanese manufacturers. Toshiba's claim to fame recently was DLP and Samsung is completely destroying them in that market with far more innovation, style and competitive prices.

They previously made high end dvd players too although since the inception of hd dvd they seem to have ceased this. A shame.

djkimothy said:
Ok, that was fast...

Of course, rdjam over at AVS will say, "Wait till next week when the 300 numbers come in."

Blu-ray 300 will outsell 300 on HD DVD. Mark my words! If it doesn't, I'll buy all of you the Spiderman Trilogy boxset. :D

djkimothy

DarkJediKnight said:
Blu-ray 300 will outsell 300 on HD DVD. Mark my words! If it doesn't, I'll buy all of you the Spiderman Trilogy boxset. :D

Shit, for once I'm going to have to root for HDDVD sales. :lol

Petrarca

Banned
jjasper said:
Well at least HD DVD had the #1 selling title. When was the last time that happened?

yes at least they got the no. 1

But that also shows you how solid BD sales is. BD doesn't need one or two titles to help the sale number. The number is spread out to 25-30 different titles. ....and what's more amazing is that no new releases for BD

yacobod

Banned
next week will be really telling for hd-dvd sales

w/300, hott fuzz, shaun of the dead, if they get stomped again, the writing is definately on the wall, they prolly would have a moral victory if it was something like 60/40 next week

djkimothy

Yah, look at the spread between position 2-10. It's fairly narrow indicating that these are selling at a consistant basis.

I'm surprised at the late surge of PLanet Earth. I guess a lot of new people are getting PS3s.

If this is what a pseudo price cut entails, another price cut will put HDDVD in the master lock.

you traitor!!

you sold out for a cheap spiderman set box!!

Well yah... :) It's all for the greater good.

djkimothy

Releases for next weeks numbers:

HD DVD
300 (Warner)
Darkman (Universal)
Hot Fuzz (Universal)
IMAX: Blue Planet (Warner)
Planet Earth (US Version) (Discovery Channel)
Sea of Love (Universal)
Shaun of the Dead (Universal)
Shooter (Paramount)

8 releases - 4 exclusive

BD
300 (Warner)
IMAX: Blue Planet (Warner)
IMAX: Roving Mars (Disney)
Planet Earth (US Version) (Discovery Channel)
Shooter (Paramount)

5 releases - 1 exclusive

I think the bolded items will be the real sales pushers.

Well there's the recent 360 add-on price drop.

Yes, I forgot about that as well...

DoctorWho said:
I'm holding you to that.

You can tell that I'm BEYOND High def.... er. Confident. :D

Only a maroon colored glass wearing HD DVD fan would predict 300 HD DVD outselling the Blu-ray one - despite it having more exclusive features.

djkimothy

DarkJediKnight said:
You can tell that I'm BEYOND High def.... er. Confident. :D

Only a maroon colored glass wearing HD DVD fan would predict 300 HD DVD outselling the Blu-ray one - despite it having more exclusive features.

I don't know man... When I got my 300 BD, I saw a lot of people in line with me that had 300 HDDVD. One guy even bought the 360 add-on with it. There were a few people in line with my with Blu-ray purchases though.

I can almost taste my spider man trilogy set. ;)

I'm really surprised at the adoption of the high def format. Thought I was the only one in the city buying into high def.

djkimothy said:
I don't know man... When I got my 300 BD, I saw a lot of people in line with me that had 300 HDDVD. One guy even bought the 360 add-on with it. There were a few people in line with my with Blu-ray purchases though.

I can almost taste my spider man trilogy set. ;)

I'm really surprised at the adoption of the high def format. Thought I was the only one in the city buying into high def.

Nah, I'm with Dark Jedi Knight on that one...the PS3 userbase is way too big to ignore.

Mrbob

yacobod said:
next week will be really telling for hd-dvd sales

w/300, hott fuzz, shaun of the dead, if they get stomped again, the writing is definately on the wall, they prolly would have a moral victory if it was something like 60/40 next week

I would hope HD DVD could do better than this with all those releases.

But it doesn't seem the case.

It doesn't really matter anyway.

Once all the summer blockbusters start hitting this holiday season, HD DVD is going to get curb stomped. Look at all the hundred million selling summer blockbusters which will be exclusive to Blu Ray.

I really want the Bourne movies plus Hot Fuzz & Shaun of the Dead in HD, but the way things are going it is inevitable for Universal to make the switch to Blu Ray. If they still decide to hold out in 08 due to stubborness, then they deserve all the thrashing they will get. It is time for this stupid format war to end, and the scales are tipped heavily in blu rays favor. It sucks that those who already bought HD DVD players don't want to get scourned, but that is the nature of the beast when you pick a side in a format war.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Mrbob said:
I would hope HD DVD could do better than this with all those releases.

Exclusive releases no less, I honestly did expect it to be far closer.

The Main Event said:
Nah, I'm with Dark Jedi Knight on that one...the PS3 userbase is way too big to ignore.

Wow! You and I agree on something.

Despite the HD DVD add-on price drop, which will help 300 on HD DVD more than people think, 300 on Blu-ray is $5 cheaper. Think Departed sales. Same story here.

thaivo

DarkJediKnight said:

Why would us HD-DVD owners want it? :D I agree with you anyway, 300 fits the PS3 demographic much too well for the HD-DVD version to out sell it.

ugh... basically every Blu-Ray movie @ Blockbuster Online has a 'Very Long Wait' or 'Long Wait' status.

sucks... :(

At least FLATLINERS in Blu-Ray managed to sneak its way to me. :D

yacobod

Banned
djkimothy said:

once you get a nice big screen hdtv, its hard to go back to sd content imo

djkimothy

TheJollyCorner said:
ugh... basically every Blu-Ray movie @ Blockbuster Online has a 'Very Long Wait' or 'Long Wait' status.

sucks... :(

At least FLATLINERS in Blu-Ray managed to sneak its way to me. :D

Yah, I only managed to get The Host on zip.ca, the rest are filler DVD releases I placed in low priority positions.

I'm still waiting on Letters to Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers. I put those two on top priority!!

Would letters be a good blind buy?

once you get a nice big screen hdtv, its hard to go back to sd content imo

Agreed. :D

I'm already mentally factoring that in my living expenses when I finally move out.

thaivo

Nice sale on HD DVDs for $13.99 this week at Fry's:

The Perfect Storm
The Corpse Bride
Training Day
House of Wax
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

I think I'll pick up Training Day and Superman II

Oni Jazar

Do people really expect Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead to sell huge numbers? I love those movies a lot (and wish BD had 'em) but they are comedies that weren't huge blockbusters so I'm not sure if they will bring in big sales for High Def.

thaivo said:
Nice sale on HD DVDs for $13.99 this week at Fry's:

The Perfect Storm
The Corpse Bride
Training Day
House of Wax
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

I think I'll pick up Training Day and Superman II

What can't Canada get this kind of love. For christ sakes... our dollar is pretty much the same! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom