• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djkimothy

Oni Jazar said:
Do people really expect Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead to sell huge numbers? I love those movies a lot (and wish BD had 'em) but they are comedies that weren't huge blockbusters so I'm not sure if they will bring in big sales for High Def.

Well, the board members here make it appear that way. Even though I honestly haven't seen them myself.

thaivo

Oni Jazar said:
Do people really expect Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead to sell huge numbers? I love those movies a lot (and wish BD had 'em) but they are comedies that weren't huge blockbusters so I'm not sure if they will bring in big sales for High Def.

Not huge numbers, but I would hope they beat out the third or fourth week of Premonition.. :D

Oni Jazar said:

I think the market that invested in hi-def formats this early are the same people who will eat up these types of releases.

Chemo

Oni Jazar said:
Those movies are well-loved and have great word-of-mouth buzz. I picked up Hot Fuzz on DVD (I know, I know... I didn't WANT to buy a DVD, but I just had to get Hot Fuzz) at Target, and I got the last copy of the DVD... so apparently it's selling well, and I would assume that it would translate into the HD DVD version selling well too.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Oni Jazar said:
The "huge numbers" we're talking about are still only measured in tens of thousands for the HD formats. I don't think it's a stretch to think these releases would find a particularly strong fanbase among HD enthusiasts.

Chemo said:
Those movies are well-loved and have great word-of-mouth buzz. I picked up Hot Fuzz on DVD (I know, I know... I didn't WANT to buy a DVD, but I just had to get Hot Fuzz) at Target, and I got the last copy of the DVD... so apparently it's selling well, and I would assume that it would translate into the HD DVD version selling well too.

It's the kind of movie that sells insanely well on home video. See: Mallrats, The Big Lebowski, et al.

el Diablo

Banned
Same movies are on sale at Fry's this week for Blu-ray (i'm looking at the ad right now) except they have Goodfellas instead of The Perfect Storm. Great movie but i feel dirty buying a HD disc w/out some kind of lossless track.

thaivo

el Diablo said:
Same movies are on sale at Fry's this week for Blu-ray (i'm looking at the ad right now) except they have Goodfellas instead of The Perfect Storm. Great movie but i feel dirty buying a HD disc w/out some kind of lossless track.

I have Goodfellas on HD-DVD, and it's probably my favorite of the ten or so discs I have. I say it's a must buy, even without a lossless track. Then again, my sound system isn't much to speak of. When I watch movies with my wife, she usually asks me to turn it down a little because the loud sounds make her anxious. Me, I like to feel the sound in my chest. :D

thaivo

Ignatz Mouse said:
Go HD DVD 300, Go!

Hey man, if he only holds that promise for the most frequent posters, I'm still good. :)

Then again there is also the fact that Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead came out the same week, which diffused the demand for 300 to a minor extent. If 300 was the sole HD-DVD release, I think he might have something to worry about. :D

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
DarkJediKnight said:
Anyone with 100+ posts (eg. active participants) in this thread is good. :D
Woot 250 posts or something like that. GO GO 300 HD DVD. I seriously doubt it. :(

Petrarca

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
Spider3Big3Large.jpg

'Spider-Man' Trilogy to Spin Its Web on Blu-ray
Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:52 PM ET

Ending months of anticipation, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has officially announced it will bring the complete 'Spider-Man' trilogy to Blu-ray this October.

Considered one of the "holy grails" of Blu-ray ever since the format launched last year, a next-gen release of the 'Spider-Man' films has been the subject of endless speculation for months.

Now, timed to coincide with the home video of 'Spider-Man 3,' Sony has at last confirmed it will bring the blockbuster comic book trilogy to Blu-ray on October 30 in what is sure to be one of the format's biggest sellers.

Arriving day-and-date with the standard-def DVD version, Sony will load the Blu-ray edition of 'Spider-Man 3' with a wealth of extras, including two audio commentaries (the first with director Sam Raimi and stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst, and other with the producers, editor and special-effects supervisor), eleven making-of featurettes, still galleries, bloopers, a Snow Patrol music video and a bevy of theatrical trailers and TV spots.

In addition, on October 30 Sony will also debut the 'Spider-Man High-Definition Trilogy,' a box set containing all three films in the franchise.

I'm so buying this

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Click on the number of posts next to topic heading/starter to find out how many posts each person has made in thread.

You're right along side Manabyte, Petrarca.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Petrarca said:
how can I check how many posts I have in this thread?

LOL, I will save you Petrarca. Go to the off topic forum where you see the thread, and click on the numbers under Replies. It will tell you how many post you have in this thread.

Damn, beaten by minute by Crayon.

Petrarca

Banned
Crayon Shinchan said:
Click on the number of posts next to topic heading/starter to find out how many posts each person has made in thread.

You're right along side Manabyte, Petrarca.

thanks

heh, my blu-ray buddies came to the rescue

Petrarca

Banned
Ignatz Mouse 423
DarkJediKnight 393
VanMardigan 372
djkimothy 330
Onix 291
Petrarca 288
ManaByte 287
jjasper 266
captive 251
StoOgE 245
The Main Event 205
Crayon Shinchan 170
distantmantra 152
Suikoguy 149
Chemo 129
thaivo 127
Oni Jazar 120
mrklaw 104
Mrbob 97
rubso 95
Matrix 87
kaching 83
mckmas8808 79
ChrisJames 72
Bebpo 70
wasting 66
fortified_concept 62
yacobod 61
Days like these... 59
Kleegamefan 55
teiresias 54
XMonkey 53
methane47 53
Alcibiades 52
SRG01 48
SanjuroTsubaki 47
AgentOtaku 46
Hotarubi 46
shidoshi 45
Forsete 45
Midas 41
Pristine_Condition 40
Cheebs 40
el Diablo 37
Flo_Evans 35
Bad_Boy 34
JB1981 34
Zaptruder 32
Captain N 31
Argyle 31
C4Lukins 31

yacobod

Banned
djkimothy said:
Is there a chance for a 4th Spiderman movie?

well the franchise is still financially viable as the boxoffice has shown this summer, but the cast/crew made it sound like it would be their last one

but money talks, i'm sure we'll see another one in the future one way or the other

djkimothy

yacobod said:
well the franchise is still financially viable as the boxoffice has shown this summer, but the cast/crew made it sound like it would be their last one

but money talks, i'm sure we'll see another one in the future one way or the other

K, cause I'm wondering how awkward it would look with just that trilogy plus another movie to hang off of it.

I guess it's not a huge deal.

yacobod

Banned
djkimothy said:
K, cause I'm wondering how awkward it would look with just that trilogy plus another movie to hang off of it.

I guess it's not a huge deal.

you can always throw away the cheap cardboard slip case cover of the trilogy, and just hang on to the discs when the 4th one comes out, then they will match :D

djkimothy

yacobod said:
you can always throw away the cheap cardboard slip case cover of the trilogy, and just hang on to the discs when the 4th one comes out, then they will match :D

But that box is hot! Ah well. Not really a problem at the moment.

el Diablo

Banned
djkimothy said:
Is there a chance for a 4th Spiderman movie?

If there is i'd bet that it's not going to be for awhile and when it does they're going to blow it up and start over ala Batman Begins. Well that's what they should do anyways, that 3rd movie was a trainwreck clusterf*ck lol.

Man have i really posted 37x in this thread already... well 38 now.

SUPREME1

Banned
2 things:

1. I picked up the last copy of 300 on HD DVD on Wednesday evening from Target. The LAST ONE BIOTCHES!

However, I got home late and wasn't able to watch the entire thing, I got to the part where he's getting approval from the priests(leppers?) on top of the mountain..
and well, I'll have to finish it this weekend.

2. I JUST PICKED UP A PS3 YESTERDAY. *dances*

I was planning on getting one for CHRISTMAS and have been mentioning it to the wife NONSTOP without any resistence from her. So I was all set and looking forwared (patiently) to getting one come December. THEN, we received $150.00 in rewards from Bestbuy through the mail and we went in to buy a Harmony Remote which I've also been dropping hints at.. When I mentioned that the PS3, which plays BluRay (she knows Disney is exclusive, something she wants in hi-def) went from $600 to $500.. and that if we applied the $150 rewards.. it'd only be a wee bit over $350 out-of-pocket for us. I was a DONE DEAL.

Imagine that.. a 60GB PS3 for $350 +tax OOHWEE!! Suck it biotches!

Down side: We walked out with no games.. no BluRay movies.. I have some more patient waiting to do. *dancing stops*

Oh well..

Xbox360 + HD DVD add-on + PS3/BluRay + Pioneer Elite Pro-FHD1 = Jessica Alba's thong!

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
ImperialConquest said:
2 things:

1. I picked up the last copy of 300 on HD DVD on Wednesday evening from Target. The LAST ONE BIOTCHES!

However, I got home late and wasn't able to watch the entire thing, I got to the part where he's getting approval from the priests(leppers?) on top of the mountain..
and well, I'll have to finish it this weekend.

2. I JUST PICKED UP A PS3 YESTERDAY. *dances*

I was planning on getting one for CHRISTMAS and have been mentioning it to the wife NONSTOP without any resistence from her. So I was all set and looking forwared (patiently) to getting one come December. THEN, we received $150.00 in rewards from Bestbuy through the mail and we went in to buy a Harmony Remote which I've also been dropping hints at.. When I mentioned that the PS3, which plays BluRay (she knows Disney is exclusive, something she wants in hi-def) went from $600 to $500.. and that if we applied the $150 rewards.. it'd only be a wee bit over $350 out-of-pocket for us. I was a DONE DEAL.

Imagine that.. a 60GB PS3 for $350 +tax OOHWEE!! Suck it biotches!

Down side: We walked out with no games.. no BluRay movies.. I have some more patient waiting to do. *dancing stops*

Oh well..

Xbox360 + HD DVD add-on + PS3/BluRay + Pioneer Elite Pro-FHD1 = Jessica Alba's thong!

SUPER STARDUST HD!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Damn there is 17 people with over 100 posts, not counting DarkJedi. I hope your loaded and 300 HD DVD doesnt outsell 300 BRD, thats a lot of money. :lol

Raistlin

DarkJediKnight said:
Bourne outsold the next title by nearly 2:1. Yet still.... :lol

Yeah ... just imagine if Bourne Identity wasn't released last week.

The sales ratios would look like the previous one ... or worse :x

Petrarca

Banned
So do I get everyone in 100-club preference correct?

Ignatz Mouse 423 ----------Blu-Team
DarkJediKnight 393 ---------Blu-Team
VanMardigan 372 -------------BANNED :lol (is he still banned?)
djkimothy 330 -----------Blu-Team
Onix 291 --------------Blu-Team
Petrarca 288 -----------Blu-Team
ManaByte 287 --------------Red-Team
jjasper 266 -----------------Blu-Team
captive 251 ---------------Blu-Team
StoOgE 245 -----------------Red-Team
The Main Event 205 --------------Red-Team
Crayon Shinchan 170 -------------Blu-Team
distantmantra 152 -----------------???
Suikoguy 149 ------------------Blu-Team
Chemo 129 ------------------Blu-Team