• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifune

Mehmber
I watched the Bluray of The Queen last night. Absolutely STUNNING picture quality. This is the most impressed I've been with HD movies so far.

Bebpo

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
Ratatouille is set for Nov 6 as well.

2nd Best HD movie of the year behind Blade Runner IMO. Really looking forward to that disc.

Mifune said:
I watched the Bluray of The Queen last night. Absolutely STUNNING picture quality. This is the most impressed I've been with HD movies so far.

Yeah, I really liked the Queen both for the film quality and the PQ. If I ever see it on sale <$20 I'm going to buy it for sure.

VanMardigan said:
If I can find it at Target or Best Buy, this will probably be my next purchase.

Are all combo discs 34.99 and up in the US? That's exactly the same price in Canada (WB 34.99 CAD, Universal 39.99 CAD, MSRP).

That's a damn rip-off, the prices should be at most at 29.99 USD.

I'll be going around Wal-Marts, Best Buy and Targets to see if I can find TMNT HD at that price.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
TMNT looks amazing,the hi-def review is spot on about the picture quality.

I too saw some color banding during some of the night sky scenes,but it doesnt bother me at all.

Alcibiades

What a bunch of BS going around.

Dreamworks is NOT going to split from Paramount because they are owned by the same parent company. Spielberg can leave Dreamworks, take his team, and start other projects or another studio elsewhere (and take the name with him), but that won't be until late 2008.

1 or 2 Dreamworks movies in HD?

There are already a few day-and-date releases:

Dreamgirls
Flags of our Fathers
Norbit
Disturbia

Blades of Glory and Transformers will also be released this year, on both Blu-ray and HD DVD. There is not halt on Dreamworks titles, don't know where that BS came from. After seeing the 300 sales numbers, I doubt they are going to delay a title like Transformers (which will probably be the best selling HD title this year). There were rumors that Saving Private Ryan and Gladiator were being prepped for release but then put on hold, but they were never offically announced.

Now, there is another studio out there, Dreamworks Animation, that hasn't jumped in and is less likely to, but that's another story.

The only non-anime BR releases coming this holiday season that I'm interested in so far are the Harry Potter boxset, Blade Runner, Simpsons, Ratatouille, and Transformers. Hopefully some more foreign/independent/art films (like Volver, The Queen, etc.) are announced. I'd love to see Fox release Once on Blu Ray, and Sony Pictures Classics has a good back catalog, so it's not hard.

I picked up the first two seasons of Weeds on Blu Ray today. I've always wanted to check out this show, and seeing how each season is about $20, I couldn't say no.

Christopher

you know I didn't really hate spiderman 3 as much as you guys - and sorta kinda midly enjoyed it. The only part I truly cringed at was the American Flag part :lol oh boy, but other than that is was "ok" *hides*

I'll without a doubt get that set.

In my experience the Spiderman 3 breakdown falls somewhere along the lines of :

Spidey comic fan : hated it
Average movie goer : liked it

I already wretched so much at the first two movies that all I could come up with after the third were a few bloody dry heaves (although during the venom scene at the end I can swear I tossed my gall bladder).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
distantmantra said:
Vivendi owns the game division, that's it.

gotcha... universals selling of parts is pretty convoluted. in any case ge taking a building contract has little to do with the format war

thaivo

Warm Machine said:
The Pip in 300 is amazing BTW. Really shows how the movie was put together. Well worth seeing it.

I've seen about twenty minutes of it. It's very nice, but is it worth watching the whole thing? Zack Snyder tends to mention where there replaced the blue screen a few two many times, but I guess I only say the first twenty minutes, so the rest might be filled with interesting info.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
thaivo said:
I've seen about twenty minutes of it. It's very nice, but is it worth watching the whole thing? Zack Snyder tends to mention where there replaced the blue screen a few two many times, but I guess I only say the first twenty minutes, so the rest might be filled with interesting info.

Apparently very repetitive after the first 15 minutes. The entire movie is made in very much the same process. Probably worth skipping to the oracle scene though. Probably also worth skipping forward to the slow mo, camera rotation scenes.

calder

Crayon Shinchan said:
Apparently very repetitive after the first 15 minutes. The entire movie is made in very much the same process. Probably worth skipping to the oracle scene though. Probably also worth skipping forward to the slow mo, camera rotation scenes.
Heh reminds me of most director's commentaries I've listened to. Frankenheimer doing the Ronin commentary track is absolutely guaranteed to lull anyone to sleep in 10 minutes flat unless they are a film major.

Evlar

Banned
Final Fantasy: Spirits Within looks occasionally incredible in Blu Ray. Just finished watching it. The technical work on Aki and Dr. Sid is amazing, and holds up to anything being done today. Creature and energy-field effects are also stunning, certain shots like the exterior views of the New York barrier LEAP off the screen. Aki's dream sequences are even better, and once or twice match up with the very best HD I've seen. The detail in textures, shadows, dust and other particles, quality of light... Stunning.

The HD transfer also reveals some flaws... second rate texturing in places (particularly the metal Halo-style hallways which look like they actually could have come from Halo 3, closeup shots of structures in Old New York, and the clothes of pedestrians), some of the lighting is poor, particularly in low-light conditions when they didn't rely on the glowy holographic future-tech, and Marine #2, 3, and 4 still have some mannequin expressions and unconvincing body language which no transfer could fix.

Sound transfer is very good as far as I can tell with my Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver. The music is still bad, really the worst part of this film- uninspired and occasionally distracting, except for the song over the credits. Haven't dug into the special features yet. The menu is pretty straightforward, showing General Hein and Sid facing the Consul with a hologram in the middle.

The film is better than I remember, perhaps thanks a little bit to the incredible transfer. The story is corny and the acting occasionally wooden but it's still an entertaining meld of Hollywood sci-fi and JRPG pop-spirituality. Spirits Within had the misfortune of being released at a time when audiences were turning very cold toward most sci-fi that wasn't attached to an established cinema franchise (and even Star Wars and Matrix have suffered). If it had been released at a different time it would have done very well. As it is it's worth at least a rental for anyone craving more science fiction in the HD library.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
drohne said:
it's $89 now -- i guess i missed out on a pricing error

Shit, me too.

I won't buy it for that price!

thaivo

Crayon Shinchan said:

That was what I was thinking. He didn't really go that much into the history, or actors so much, at least not the parts that I saw. Perhaps it mostly because past the great looks, and cool effects, the substance that is found in most epics just isn't there with 300. I mean I loved the movie the first time I saw it, and it was good the second time through as well, but it doesn't have the actors and director don't appear to have the same personality as something like LOTR.

calder said:
Heh reminds me of most director's commentaries I've listened to. Frankenheimer doing the Ronin commentary track is absolutely guaranteed to lull anyone to sleep in 10 minutes flat unless they are a film major.

:lol Director commentaries are usually pretty boring, this is true, but some of them are really great. If you ever want some laughs, listen to the Conan the Barbarian commentary track. It has the director, and Arnold... and Arnold is a riot.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
thaivo said:
:lol Director commentaries are usually pretty boring, this is true, but some of them are really great. If you ever want some laughs, listen to the Conan the Barbarian commentary track. It has the director, and Arnold... and Arnold is a riot.

Special points go to the Total Recall track.

Verhoven: "So in this scene I wanted Sharon Stone to get naked, but she was shy and didn't want to..."
Arnold: "Bwut hue got herr back in Basick En-stinct."
Verhoven:" "Hah, I guess I did!"
Arnold: "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"
Verhoven: "HAahahaHAHAHAH!"

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
chubigans said:
Verhoven: "So in this scene I wanted Sharon Stone to get naked, but she was shy and didn't want to..."
Arnold: "But you got her back in Basic Instinct."
Verhoven:" "Hah, I guess I did!"
Arnold: "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"
Verhoven: "HAahahaHAHAHAH!"

The descriptive audio track on the original Basic Instinct DVD is one of the strangest, most unusual things around.

Narrator: With a saucy gaze, Catherine uncrosses her thighs. She briefly exposes her pubic hair, then recrosses her legs. Nick's gaze shifts from hers to Correli's. Sweating, the assistant D.A. purses his lips and leans back in his chair.

Holy shitballs I am going to be so broke in October....

# Bram Stoker's Dracula (Sony)
# Dawn of the Dead (1978) (Starz)
# Day of the Dead (1985) (Starz)
# Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn (Starz)
# Halloween (1978) (Starz)
# Masters of Horror: Season One - Volume One (Starz)
# Masters of Horror: Season One - Volume Two (Starz)
# 2001: A Space Odyssey (Warner)
# A Clockwork Orange (Warner)
# Oldboy (Tartan)
# The Shining (1980) (Warner)

Costanza

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
Holy shitballs I am going to be so broke in October....

# Bram Stoker's Dracula (Sony)
# Dawn of the Dead (1978) (Starz)
# Day of the Dead (1985) (Starz)
# Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn (Starz)
# Halloween (1978) (Starz)
# Masters of Horror: Season One - Volume One (Starz)
# Masters of Horror: Season One - Volume Two (Starz)
# 2001: A Space Odyssey (Warner)
# A Clockwork Orange (Warner)
# Oldboy (Tartan)
# The Shining (1980) (Warner)
I'll be getting:

Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
The Shining
Twilight Zone: The Movie
and the Spiderman trilogy in Oct.

Ugh, and this doesn't include any impending FOX announcements which may include 28 Weeks Later (10/9 on DVD I think).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
just bought disturbia today was incredible. I saw it in the theatres. The quality was great both audio and video, the best part about it was, there were no screaming little girls this time:lol

anyways definatley picking up the lookout next tuesday, I think all you guys should too:D

YYZ

distantmantra said:
The only non-anime BR releases coming this holiday season that I'm interested in so far are the Harry Potter boxset, Blade Runner, Simpsons, Ratatouille, and Transformers.
Is that coming to HD? The show isn't done in HD is it? Would we see benefits in PQ?

When are we going to see more anime anyway? Which studios plan to release anime on BD soon? Does Sony have any big stuff besides Paprika?

msdstc said:
just bought disturbia today was incredible. I saw it in the theatres. The quality was great both audio and video, the best part about it was, there were no screaming little girls this time:lol

I liked the movie quite a bit as well. I was surprised how much I liked it because it was a blind buy. Definatley lucked out though. =D

Costanza

Banned
YYZ said:
Is that coming to HD? The show isn't done in HD is it? Would we see benefits in PQ?
The movie looked fantastic on the big screen, so I'd imagine it'd look great in HD as well and be one of FOX's big releases this fall. It better fucking have all the extras from the DVD though.

YYZ said:
When are we going to see more anime anyway? Which studios plan to release anime on BD soon? Does Sony have any big stuff besides Paprika?

Bandai Visual is bringing Wings of Honneamise to Blu Ray and HD-DVD this September, and they have more titles after that, such as Akira, Patlabor movies, etc. More titles are announced for Japan than North America (Ghost in the Shell), but it could change with time.

Funimation is on the Blu Ray bandwagon, and is starting with some DBZ movies, but should hopefully expand to other things in the future.

Sony has Kinkreet coming in September, and there are rumors of Paprika, Steamboy, Metropolis, and Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door by January of 2008.

And, the rumors of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Solid State Society hitting Blu Ray via Manga Ent. just wont die, as there is now a UK release date floating around.

Evlar

Banned
distantmantra said:
Bandai Visual is bringing Wings of Honneamise to Blu Ray and HD-DVD this September, and they have more titles after that, such as Akira, Patlabor movies, etc. More titles are announced for Japan than North America (Ghost in the Shell), but it could change with time.

Funimation is on the Blu Ray bandwagon, and is starting with some DBZ movies, but should hopefully expand to other things in the future.

Sony has Kinkreet coming in September, and there are rumors of Paprika, Steamboy, Metropolis, and Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door by January of 2008.

And, the rumors of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Solid State Society hitting Blu Ray via Manga Ent. just wont die, as there is now a UK release date floating around.
Meh, nothing that interests me much except perhaps the Cowboy Bebop movie.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
xS1TH L0RDx said:
I liked the movie quite a bit as well. I was surprised how much I liked it because it was a blind buy. Definatley lucked out though. =D

I saw it based on shia labeouf, I grew up watching even stevens. I went in thinking it would be a corny rear window ripoff, but was blown away, turned out to be an excellent movie.

The Sphinx said:
Meh, nothing that interests me much except perhaps the Cowboy Bebop movie.

I'm stoked for Honneamise next month, and can't wait for Paprika, CB:KOH, Ghost in the Shel 1 and Solid State Society.

OokieSpookie said:
Paprika and Steamboy are both confirmed I believe and you can preorder the import versions on yes-asia.

The Japanese release of Steamboy supposedly won't have English subtitles, but it will have the English dub. Go figure.

The Japanese release of Paprika doesn't English subtitles or audio. However, the French version does have English audio and English subtitles. It's about $45 over at Amazon.fr. I'd recommend waiting for the North American release, as it will be cheaper.

Warner Bros. also has Appleseed Ex-Machina coming out later this year. They haven't announced a format, but I'm guessing both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom