• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
thaivo said:
No, but I got one of the discs of Planet Earth on HD-DVD from BB Online. It's pretty sweet. Rather dry, but there is some beautiful photography. I'm hoping to pick it up on Ebay or Craig's list one day. I can't really stomach the 69.99 price.... 99.99 at some places.

I picked up Planet Earth on Blu Ray for about $50 during DeepDiscount's June sale.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So no one wants to come to austin and hit up 6th street and such that i posted on the last page? :(

thaivo

distantmantra said:
I picked up Planet Earth on Blu Ray for about $50 during DeepDiscount's June sale.

Was it worth it to you? Perhaps I'll prefer Sigourney Weaver's narration, so I think I'll rent the Discovery version to compare (even though it is cut down).

thaivo said:
Was it worth it to you? Perhaps I'll prefer Sigourney Weaver's narration, so I think I'll rent the Discovery version to compare (even though it is cut down).

Totally worth it, but I love nature films and documentaries.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Picked up Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, have yet to open the box and watch it on Blu-Ray (watched it on DVD countless times :lol), but Sony... darn... could'nt you be more careful with the back cover ? The image quality of that screen shot with Dr. Cid is really LOW!!!!

thaivo

distantmantra said:
Totally worth it, but I love nature films and documentaries.

Yeah. The funny thing is, I do too. I don't think there's anyone that would say that they hated to watch those National Geographic shows when they were younger. I just haven't ever bought a nature film. I think I will at some point though since Planet Earth was such a massive undertaking.

For anyone looking for a cheap 360 Add On this site

http://www.provantage.com/microsoft-9z5-00013~4MSSX04P.htm

has them for around $155.

thaivo

DoubleTap said:
Got my 5 free BRD's today woohoo!

It seems that the BR free discs are coming at light speed, as opposed to the free HD-DVD discs.

Could I ask, were any of the UPC's intentionally destroyed?

Kolgar

Petrarca said:
ugh, seriously they look ugly and poorly built

*hugs PS3*

Wow! Thanks again for yet another quality post!

Seriously, put down the battle flag and relax a little, OK? You're a bit over the top.

I liked the older pics I saw better. The new players look pretty attractive to me.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, the Ps3 would look better to you.

captive, I'd take you up on the offer if I were in Texas. I don't drink, but that only means I'd be the best fighter once the inevitable fight broke out. When we head back to your place, we could use dkj's expensive ass hd dvd player to serve nachos. Also, I'll walk out the second petrarca starts french kissing your ps3.

What's your setup like?

yacobod

Banned
VanMardigan said:

captive, I'd take you up on the offer if I were in Texas. I don't drink, but that only means I'd be the best fighter once the inevitable fight broke out. When we head back to your place, we could use dkj's expensive ass hd dvd player to serve nachos. Also, I'll walk out the second petrarca starts french kissing your ps3.

What's your setup like?

:lol :lol

just when you think this thread cant go any lower guys like petrarca and Van find a way

captive

VanMardigan said:

omg :lol
DKJ's hd dvd player for nachos sounds great, since i couldnt in good conscience hook up a dying format to my system. :p ;-)

What's your setup like?
Pioneer 5080
Center Polk CSi5
Fronts Polk R50's
Sides and rears Polk RTi4's
Sub, SVS PB10 NSD
Onkyo 705 getting here friday(FREAKING FINALLY!!!!)
Upgraded this summer from a Sony 34" CRT and sony dream system.

Ill post pics once i get my camera back, i left it like my PS3 at my parents lake house.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
shidoshi said:
And every one of those PS3s is a possible Blu-ray player, while every one of those HD-DVD players is specifically an HD-DVD player.
Cut to the heart of the matter, why don't you?

yacobod

Banned
YagizY said:
Quick question, how are people getting 10% HD-DVD on Amazon, I've seen it mentioned many times in this thread.

i believe the original promotion was if you buy any 3 brd or hd-dvds, i believe you will receive 10% off for the rest of the year, or the discount also got applied if you bought any expensive HD electronics as well

maynerd

Banned
captive said:
omg :lol
DKJ's hd dvd player for nachos sounds great, since i couldnt in good conscience hook up a dying format to my system. :p ;-)

Pioneer 5080
Center Polk CSi5
Fronts Polk R50's
Sides and rears Polk RTi4's
Sub, SVS PB10 NSD
Onkyo 705 getting here friday(FREAKING FINALLY!!!!)
Upgraded this summer from a Sony 34" CRT and sony dream system.

Ill post pics once i get my camera back, i left it like my PS3 at my parents lake house.

Tell me more about your 5080....

Hi, just popped in this thread for the 1st time.

I got a question. Can anyone tell me if Pan's Labyrinth is out on Blu-Ray? Thanks.

Edit: I'd also appreciate 300 for Blu-Ray as well. Also, please link em'.

FortunateSon said:

I got a question. Can anyone tell me if Pan's Labyrinth is out on Blu-Ray? Thanks.

Just go to amazon.com for 300, don't know about Pan but you could always use the search function they have there.

Is there any news or tentative date for Moulin Rouge on either bluray or HDDVD? That would be a definite killer app for me to embrace the HD era, as long as it has lossless audio.

CSSer

Naked Snake said:
Is there any news or tentative date for Moulin Rouge on either bluray or HDDVD? That would be a definite killer app for me to embrace the HD era, as long as it has lossless audio.

Nope. Moulin Rouge is distributed by Fox, and they're blu-ray exclusive, but they don't seem to be in the mood of releasing any titles at all right now. There are rumors of them doing something big during Q4 of this year, but who knows.

CoG

distantmantra said:

I ordered the first disc from planetearthdvd.com and it was 1080i. Are they all or did I get the tard version? Was hoping for 1080p24.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
DarkJediKnight said:
Hey, I still use my XA2 for my HD DVDs and DVD upscaling. :lol

Yeah, but you're scurred to buy any new movies for it cause they might explode if Uni goes neutral. That explains why you bought 300 on Blu Ray. Might as well put the Xa2 out of its misery if you won't even buy the best movie made for it so far.

theBishop

Banned
FortunateSon said:

The studio responsible for Pan's Labyrinth announced it will be released on BR on November 12th in the UK. But that company is owned by StudioCanal who is HD-DVD exclusive. You may have to import if you live in the US. At least until StudioCanal comes to their senses :)

rubso said:
I thought amazon doesn't represent "real-world" sampling?

It doesn't. Planet Earth is neck and neck on Amazon. But Blu-ray outsold the HD DVD 60:40 last week. If anything, Amazon's charts are more favourable to HD DVD than it actually is, as a lot of Blu-ray buyers are B&M buys.

theBishop said:
The studio responsible for Pan's Labyrinth announced it will be released on BR on November 12th in the UK. But that company is owned by StudioCanal who is HD-DVD exclusive. You may have to import if you live in the US. At least until StudioCanal comes to their senses :)

But unless Optimum doesn't put region codes on their UK BD releases, it would be useless to import them since they wouldn't work anyways in US BD players.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/High-Def_Disc_Sales/Industry_Trends/Blu-ray,_HD_DVD_Overtake_VHS_in_Sales/845

High-def has notched up another milestone, with combined Blu-ray and HD DVD disc sales overtaking VHS during the first half of 2007.

That's according to a new research report from Video Business, which found that during the first six months of the year, consumers bought more Blu-ray and HD DVD discs than videotapes for the first time in history.

Ironically, the good news for high-def comes amid a bit of a sales slump for home entertainment -- specifically DVD -- with a weak Q1 and Q2 slate of both new releases and catalog titles resulting in a slump of over 5 percent versus the same period last year.

Granted, with VHS sales are but non-existent these days, high-def's triumph over the videotape is not exactly leaving DVD quaking in its boots. Whether it is in a slump or not, the standard-def disc format is still far and away the dominant home video format of choice for consumers, and it will likely remain so for the foreseeable future

However, more important for the next-gen formats is that with DVD sales dipping and VHS now all but dead, retailers will be more likely to free limited shelf space for Blu-ray and HD DVD title. Studios, too, are seeing the flattening standard-def market as an incentive to further develop the high-def market in the upcoming fourth quarter.

"What is likely to happen as the business starts to flatten or trend downward, is it becomes less exciting for retail and they dedicate less space to it,” Sony Pictures Home Entertainment worldwide president David Bishop told Video Business.

The news of Blu-ray and HD DVD finally overtaking VHS also follows Warner's announcement just yesterday that it's dual-format bow of '300' set a new next-gen sales record, moving a combined 250,000 copies on high-def in only one week.

This news is actually a couple of days (weeks?) old, but whatever...

TAKE THAT VHS.

Betamax: ;_;

The Main Event said:
But unless Optimum doesn't put region codes on their UK BD releases, it would be useless to import them since they wouldn't work anyways in US BD players.

From what I hear the UK release of "The Crow" will not be region locked so there is at least a chance that this may be the same.

captive

maynerd said:
Tell me more about your 5080....
What do you want to know?
Its very nice, great blacks, great picture quality.
However im running the break in dvd trying to work out a possible burn in. If you see my post in the newgen HDTV game thread i believe i got burn in from superstardus boost level meter, as whenever there is a completly black screen there is a black rectangle in the bottom left hand corner that is darker than the rest of the screen. Its only visible on 16:9 content and when either the entire screen is black or its a very very dark scene.

I suppose i learned my lesson now. Everyone at AVS and here that has the TV was raving about how they purposely tried to damage the TV and that nothing ever happened, yea well im not listening to them any more cause its pretty much bullshit. I never played super stardust for more than an hour and a half at a time, yes i did play it a lot but i was also conscience in giving my TV different content and the orbiter was ALWAYS ON and now i have a nice little black patch to remind me every time i watch a dark movie or im in the PS3's XMB at night.

el Diablo

Banned
xS1TH L0RDx said:
I'll bet a perma-ban that there will be a studio from the blu-ray camp that goes format neutral before January 1st, 2008.

Was gone yesterday but i'll take this bet. Would rather rid myself of Petraca or Van Mardigan but what can you do :lol.

maynerd

Banned
captive said:
What do you want to know?
Its very nice, great blacks, great picture quality.
However im running the break in dvd trying to work out a possible burn in. If you see my post in the newgen HDTV game thread i believe i got burn in from superstardus boost level meter, as whenever there is a completly black screen there is a black rectangle in the bottom left hand corner that is darker than the rest of the screen. Its only visible on 16:9 content and when either the entire screen is black or its a very very dark scene.

I suppose i learned my lesson now. Everyone at AVS and here that has the TV was raving about how they purposely tried to damage the TV and that nothing ever happened, yea well im not listening to them any more cause its pretty much bullshit. I never played super stardust for more than an hour and a half at a time, yes i did play it a lot but i was also conscience in giving my TV different content and the orbiter was ALWAYS ON and now i have a nice little black patch to remind me every time i watch a dark movie or im in the PS3's XMB at night.

Yikes that sucks! Sorry to hear you might have a little burn in there. Do you watch blue ray discs with your PS3? I'm considering these pioneers but it doesn't output 1080p so I'm curious how the picture looks with a bluray movie.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
captive said:
So no one wants to come to austin and hit up 6th street and such that i posted on the last page? :(

I live in Austin.

I think we should have a boxing match to settle this format war once and for all... Uwe Boll style. I even own red trunks.

Edit: Also, I dont go to sixth street. How bout Ginger mans outdoor patio for the boxing match?

Also, let me touch your 5080.

jjasper

distantmantra said:
So, uh... how about them movies? Anyone else get Final Fantasy: Spirits Within today?

Mine comes in from Netflix today. I have never seen the whole movie before just part of it when I woke up at 2:30 in the morning once and couldn't get back to sleep, it was on HBO. It seemed interesting. I know a lot of people didn't like but I am going to give it a try.

madmook

You people seem to be in the know, so here's my question:

Where the fuck is Jurassic Park? That shit is Universal, right? So it should be released on HD-DVD? Why don't they release obvious system sellers? My PS3 serves as my HD movie player for now, so I've been getting only blu-rays, but something like JP would force me to get the HD-DVD add-on for the 360.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I saw it at the movies with my sister. She hated it, but I liked it. I have never been a big Final Fantasy player, so maybe that helped. I just took it for what it was. I think the pacing was just too slow.

edit: Jurassic Park is coming, and so will every other big ticket movie eventually. Sometimes studios want to wait until the potential audience is bigger before releasing their biggest titles. It's similar to the situation on consoles. Do you release a big title like MGS4 to try to grow a small userbase, or do you wait for the userbase to grow before releasing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom