• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
VanMardigan said:
300 is fantastic on HD DVD. Keep in mind, I'm not the idiot that passed on the better version despite owning a high end machine capable of playing it.

To me, the "better version" is the one that doesn't look like one of my burned CDs. Anyone who read my posts knows how much I loath combos. If 300 was a regular HD30, I would have bought the HD DVD version.

Also, I've said it several times here that I wanted to compare the True HD to the PCM track. Guess which version has that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
uh-oh, time to copy paste the standalone vs. Ps3 debates from 50 pages back. Then top it off with the "why isn't the Ps3 considered a standalone" dictionary.com debate.

edit:
he "better version" is the one that doesn't look like one of my burned CDs

Well, at least you had fantastic reason to pass up on the version widely considered superior. :lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
DarkJediKnight said:
To me, the "better version" is the one that doesn't look like one of my burned CDs. Anyone who read my posts knows how much I loath combos. If 300 was a regular HD30, I would have bought the HD DVD version.

::rolleyes::

Petrarca

Banned
ManaByte said:
Standalone players.

Stand alone is such a stupid term. Dedicated player is a better term than standalone

PS3 = Stand alone. It doesn't need anything else to function as BD player
360 HD-DVD addon is not stand alone

ManaByte

Gold Member
Petrarca said:
Stand alone is such a stupid term. Dedicated player is a better term than standalone

PS3 = Stand alone. It doesn't need anything else to function as BD player
360 HD-DVD addon is not stand alone

Stand alone = a player that only plays movies.

The PS3 is NOT a stand alone player as it's more of a set top box that plays movies, games, music, browses the internet, works as a media hub, etc.

The HD-DVD addon is closer to a stand alone since all you can do with the addon is watch movies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Neither (Ps3 or 360 add-on) is a standalone, and neither is counted as a standalone device.

And not counting the Ps3 as a standalone does NOTHING to diminish its impact, except to say that you can't count a Ps3 purchase as a vote in the format wars necessarily.

Raistlin

ManaByte said:
Stand alone = a player that only plays movies.

The PS3 is NOT a stand alone player as it's more of a set top box that plays movies, games, music, browses the internet, works as a media hub, etc.

The HD-DVD addon is closer to a stand alone since all you can do with the addon is watch movies.

Your confusing yourself by thinking that they are mutually exclusive terms (standalone and set-top box).

In normal usage, standalone simply means that the player will play as is ... no other device needs to be hooked up. It doesn't matter what other functionality the device has. That would be like saying a Nuon DVD players wasn't a standalone DVD player.

An add on is like the 360 HD DVD player, or any of the BD and HD DVD PC drives that need a PC for decoding.

djkimothy

DarkJediKnight said:
You can rolleyes all you want. I don't keep my movies in their cases.

That's kind of a good idea. Do you keep it in those CD sleaves? Saves shelf space, something I'm running out of.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
All the ps3 fanbois with there console war mentality slowly but steadily seeking refuge in this thread are really starting to male it unbearable. I can tolerate djk, Ignatz and a few others but there's a reason I avoid posting in the gaming forum for the most part. I honestly think this thread should be locked up. All you guys do is bicker and fight. I've been guilty of this as well in the past but I honestly try to avoid it. Sorry for the rant

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Days like these... said:
All the ps3 fanbois with there console war mentality slowly but steadily seeking refuge in this thread are really starting to male it unbearable. I can tolerate djk, Ignatz and a few others but there's a reason I avoid posting in the gaming forum for the most part. I honestly think this thread should be locked up. All you guys do is bicker and fight. I've been guilty of this as well in the past but I honestly try to avoid it. Sorry for the rant

Jesus. You HD-DVD fanboys are such whiners. We've been through this. Do you guys even bother clicking on the thread title when you come in here? I know it's become the defacto HD thread, but still, if you want only HD-DVD discussion, I suggest making a thread on that.

yacobod

Banned
Crayon Shinchan said:
Jesus. You HD-DVD fanboys are such whiners. We've been through this. Do you guys even bother clicking on the thread title when you come in here? I know it's become the defacto HD thread, but still, if you want only HD-DVD discussion, I suggest making a thread on that.

honestly most of the ppl who post in the thread are ok, the only ppl i cant stand are VanMardigan and Petrarca, they are like religious extremists on 2 opposite ends of the spectrum :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nice job pointing fingers. At least petrarca and I add news, what the hell do you contribute besides calling people out?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
"CAT FIIIIIIIIIGHTTTT!"
Cat_Fight.jpg

rubso

Banned
yacobod said:
honestly most of the ppl who post in the thread are ok, the only ppl i cant stand are VanMardigan and Petrarca, they are like religious extremists on 2 opposite ends of the spectrum :lol
van.jpg
petrarca.jpg

don't take it seriously guys, just a joke

djkimothy said:
That's kind of a good idea. Do you keep it in those CD sleaves? Saves shelf space, something I'm running out of.

Selector_100_FX_Info.jpg

I have 2 of something similar to this. It's actually pretty old (from late 90s) and holds about 400 discs, all alphabetically. I have a section for my Blu-ray and HD DVDs. Much easier to sort out and find a movie in the dark.

PS. I keep all my cases in a box in case I trade or sell them. Also most of the cases have that nasty glue on them and they stick to each other so there's another reason.

Now you can understand another reason why I hate combos. If someone misplaces it along with my burned discs, it's a chore to find.

yacobod

Banned
that thing looks pretty cool

it def would be a pain in the ass for someone with a large library, to have to alphabetize everything and xfer to the case, but after that you would be gold

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Costanza said:
Just picked up Disturbia on BR after Netflix hasn't shipped it all week. Looking forward to watching it.

Yea disturbia is on very long wait on both hd-dvd and blu-ray for me.I switched it to dvd and it still hasnt shipped,it's been on short wait for dvd too :lol

Netflix has been so shitty lately,might just buy Disturbia on BR since I have an amazon coupon.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
GuessWho said:
i don't know about you guys but from what i've seen and compared hd dvd is the next logical step up from dvd. imo.

That argument is both (1a) weak, (1b) old and (2) illogical.

GuessWho said:
i don't know about you guys but from what i've seen and compared hd dvd is the next logical step up from dvd. imo.

This is quite true, after all bluray needs something to stand on top of.

:lol

Raistlin

GuessWho said:

* Compared to what?

* What does this even mean?

* wtf?

take your pick

VanMardigan said:
Nice job pointing fingers. At least petrarca and I add news, what the hell do you contribute besides calling people out?

And your contribution to society is....what?</JeffBell>

:lol sorry, i had to.

DarkJediKnight said:
3998.jpg

Ok, I'm a fan of Battle Royale. This is basically an American ripoff of it, with adults. Anyone see this? Is it worth getting if you're a BR fan?

Come on now, that is nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing at all like Battle Royale and that is kind of a kick in the beans to BR in general.

rubso

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
3998.jpg

Ok, I'm a fan of Battle Royale. This is basically an American ripoff of it, with adults. Anyone see this? Is it worth getting if you're a BR fan?
I thought you were talking about Battle Royale, the Japanese Movie.
The Condemned ? Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom