• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaivo

heavy liquid said:
TV on DVD has some menus up from Heroes Season One HD DVD (due out in two weeks).

That looks really sweet. I think I'm going to rent it from BB Online when it comes out! I've played with the web features on 300 and Blood Diamond, and although they aren't anything to purchase a disk over, these features certainly give you a feeling of something new that DVD could never offer.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
maynerd said:
Universal needs to support Blu-ray. Damn them!

They better and when they do, I want all universal releases including heroes redone on blu-ray.

Damn, I almost bought that 360 hd dvd player..... i better log off of amazon.com..

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
neojubei said:
Does this work on the hd dvd for the 360?

I have already used the 360 add-on to download content for the HD DVD version of Freedom Vol. 1, so yeah, no problems at all. There's even a section on the main dashboard of the Xbox 360 where you can check to see how much available space the HD DVD add-on has.

neojubei said:
They better and when they do, I want all universal releases including heroes redone on blu-ray.

Never going to happen. It costs rougly $50,000 to do a transfer. If Universal goes neutral, they'll just port the video over.

neojubei said:

Damn, I almost bought that 360 hd dvd player..... i better log off of amazon.com..
then I shouldn't tell you about the 20% coupon at TRU that is good on accessories as well. Accessories such as the HD-DVD player. Accessories such as the $180-20% = $144 HD-DVD player.

oh, sorry. I meant to not tell you. :D

630v6zq.jpg

cjdunn

Never going to happen. It costs rougly $50,000 to do a transfer. If Universal goes neutral, they'll just port the video over.

Uuhhhhh, don't you think they'll keep the uncompressed digital master?

I think they will.

Once that's done Blu-ray is just a recompress away. (Okay that's waaay oversimplified, but still...).

thaivo

neojubei said:
Hopefully by then they'll be on Heroes season 5.. :lol

neojubei said:
:D

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz Mouse said:
That's reasonable to me. If I had a 360 (and I almost did) I might do that, expecting that even when when one format dies it might end up being somewhat supported by future players (the way some DVD players will play VCD).

I'm just talking about what's wight for me though. I know some people don't mind owning multiple players, but it bothers me.

This is so true. A lot of people here arguing are on one side of the format war because of their gaming console. Me included. If I owned a Ps3, I'd be a Blu Ray supporter, simply because I've fallen in love with HD content. The fact that I had a 360 and it gave me inexpensive access to HD DVD is why I jumped in. I think this is what Days Like These... always brings up, it's that a lot of the arguments here are just extensions of the console wars. I also think that many of the regulars are not of that mentality.

maynerd

Banned
bune duggy said:
then I shouldn't tell you about the 20% coupon at TRU that is good on accessories as well. Accessories such as the HD-DVD player. Accessories such as the $180-20% = $144 HD-DVD player.

oh, sorry. I meant to not tell you. :D

630v6zq.jpg

Good god this is so tempting. I just got a PS3 a month ago and I just bought a 50" plasma. My GF would kill me if I walked in with that bad boy.

I seriously want the Elite 360 with HD-DVD for the HDMI out too. OH SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
630v6zq.jpg

There's something...emasculating about that coupon. And excludes diapers? Fuck Toys 'R Us! :lol

neojubei

thaivo said:
Hopefully by then they'll be on Heroes season 5.. :lol

:D

hopefully before the end of season 2.

Since I have a PS3, I cannot see myself buying the hd-dvd add on to my 360. I'll wait for universal to support blu-ray.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
VanMardigan said:
This is so true. A lot of people here arguing are on one side of the format war because of their gaming console. Me included. If I owned a Ps3, I'd be a Blu Ray supporter, simply because I've fallen in love with HD content. The fact that I had a 360 and it gave me inexpensive access to HD DVD is why I jumped in. I think this is what Days Like These... always brings up, it's that a lot of the arguments here are just extensions of the console wars. I also think that many of the regulars are not of that mentality.
Could you imagine if the consoles had no hd optical playback ability what-so-ever?

HD DVD would probably be winning, but i think we would be seeing a much slower adoption rate.

And like many here i am in love with HD content, just this morning i was watching sunrise earth on discovery HD theater. I would never watch something like that before, but because it was in hi def and always looks so good i just sat there and watched.

Flo_Evans

captive said:
Could you imagine if the consoles had no hd optical playback ability what-so-ever?

HD DVD would probably be winning, but i think we would be seeing a much slower adoption rate.

And like many here i am in love with HD content, just this morning i was watching sunrise earth on discovery HD theater. I would never watch something like that before, but because it was in hi def and always looks so good i just sat there and watched.

If neither console had HD movie playback I probably wouldn't be supporting either at this point. I have a 360 and a PS3, but I am not gonna buy a clunky add-on and have more shit in my already packed entertainment center. If 360 could play HD-DVD by default I would of probably picked up a few exclusive movies by now.

I saw on another forum that they think the only people buying HD-DVD are Xbox owners and the only people buying Blu-Ray are PS3 owners. I somehow doubt that seeing as the Toshiba players are selling exceptionally well but hey, everyone has to have something to argue about.

captive

bune duggy said:
I saw on another forum that they think the only people buying HD-DVD are Xbox owners and the only people buying Blu-Ray are PS3 owners. I somehow doubt that seeing as the Toshiba players are selling exceptionally well but hey, everyone has to have something to argue about.
Well the way it is, HD DVD standalones > HD DVD 360 addon.
But PS3's > PS3's being used for blu-ray > standalone blu-ray players.

djkimothy

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...reviews_Cars_Blu-ray_Interactive_Features/856

Highlighted specifically in the clip are first looks at two features exclusive to the 'Cars' Blu-ray release. Stretching the format's BD-Java capabilities is the "Car Finder" game, allowing viewers to search for over 200 models of cars hidden throughout the movie, and even "race the clock" to find a specific car in a frozen frame of film.

Also touted is the "Cine-Explore" mode, where John Lasseter "personally guides you through the making of the movie while you watch the movie." Judging from the footage that appears in the trailer, the "Cine-Explore" function looks similar to the "In-Movie Experience" picture-in-picture video commentaries common to the HD DVD format, making 'Cars' among the first announced titles to replicate this much sought-after feature on Blu-ray.

I personally am not getting Cars, but it's a nice feature. I'd like to know what treatment Ratatouille is getting. :D

Disney doesn't pull any punches with their blockbusters.

captive

djkimothy said:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...reviews_Cars_Blu-ray_Interactive_Features/856

I personally am not getting Cars, but it's a nice feature. I'd like to know what treatment Ratatouille is getting. :D

Im definitely getting Cars... but im going to be super pissed if they authored it the same way as Pirates, im still pissed at how much of a pain in the ass it was to get the movie to play. My parents would probably never get it to play.

thaivo

djkimothy said:

Those features sound nice.. Although Cars is my least liked Pixar film, even below A Bugs Life.

Are these feaures going to be viewable for present BD player owners who don't have a PS3?

djkimothy

captive said:
Im definitely getting Cars... but im going to be super pissed if they authored it the same way as Pirates, im still pissed at how much of a pain in the ass it was to get the movie to play. My parents would probably never get it to play.

Yah, it sucks about your Pirates experience. I'm guessing that only happened after you hooked up your receiver? Hopefully it'll be a different experience this time around.

Those features sound nice.. Although Cars is my least liked Pixar film, even below A Bugs Life.

Are these feaures going to be viewable for present BD player owners who don't have a PS3?

Article makes no mention of needing Profile 1.1. So It's not confirmed. You can see it in the trailer.

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/bluray/

captive

djkimothy said:
Yah, it sucks about your Pirates experience. I'm guessing that only happened after you hooked up your receiver? Hopefully it'll be a different experience this time around.
Yea when i had watched them PS3 straight to the TV via HDMI it didnt do it. But its only the pirates movies that do it so the blame cant be placed fully on the receiver.

thaivo

djkimothy said:
Article makes no mention of needing Profile 1.1. So It's not confirmed. You can see it in the trailer.

What's always confused me about the new Profile 1.1, is whether it is simply that lack of the standard ethernet port that is at issue, or does it mean that some of the java capabilities are going to be available to prior players? Aren't most present BD players capable of running the BD-j if their firmwares are upgraded?

neojubei said:
hopefully before the end of season 2.

Since I have a PS3, I cannot see myself buying the hd-dvd add on to my 360. I'll wait for universal to support blu-ray.

Wait...until when? End of the year? Spring 2008? 2009?...............2010?

neojubei

Flo_Evans said:
If neither console had HD movie playback I probably wouldn't be supporting either at this point. I have a 360 and a PS3, but I am not gonna buy a clunky add-on and have more shit in my already packed entertainment center. If 360 could play HD-DVD by default I would of probably picked up a few exclusive movies by now.

I feel the same way. Since the PS3 can also be a blu-ray player, I find myself looking at a lot of blu-ray releases and even buying a few of them.

captive said:

If that had happened, I would not have an HD player yet, and would have a much higher likilhood of owning a 360 or no next-gen console at all (depending on where the PS3 price would have landed, also). I wasn't all that thrilled with the offerings of this game generation, but the combo of HD and game console helped me justify the high price.

It's a crazy what-if scenario, because even at cheaper prices, would studios still eschew HD DVD for Blu-Ray? Studio support is what made me pick, and the PS3 is what made me decide not to wait. That would/could have been all different.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The Main Event said:
Wait...until when? End of the year? Spring 2008? 2009?...............2010?
It's going to be a moot point within a year, when dual format players will be cheap enough to render anyone's exclusivity deal antiquated within the marketplace.

captive

neojubei said:
When it happens, whenever that maybe.
Dont mind Main Event, he would have you believe HD DVD is winning and we are just waiting for blu-ray studios to go neutral for the war to be over. :D

The one thing I hate about the Xbox 360 HD-DVD interface is the controller does jack when using it. I wish the buttons were mapped to doing something useful other than bringing up the menu interface for the 360.

captive

ghostmind said:
Where the fuck is Batman Begins Blu-ray already? Do we have to wait until Dark Knight now? BIOSHOCK!
FYI, Warner, while claiming to be neutral, much like manabyte and main event, are in fact secretly HD DVD semi-exclusive.

djkimothy

ghostmind said:
What better way to celebrate than releasing Batman Begins! YOU HEAR ME WARNER?!?

...and toss us the Matrix Trilogy while you are at it...

They will probably think of some obscure reason to delay/not release it. :/

V for Vendetta is the only film that I know of that is "coming soon."

captive said:
FYI, Warner, while claiming to be neutral, much like manabyte and main event, are in fact secretly HD DVD semi-exclusive.

Has nothing to do with Warner itself but Microsoft paying them for exclusivity. You think Warner released the Matrix and Paramount working on Star Trek out of the goodness of their hearts?

djkimothy

DarkJediKnight said:
Cars might be the 1st Java 1.1 disc.

I hope Ratatouille will be also. Since it comes out the same time, I hope they think up something clever.

Has nothing to do with Warner itself but Microsoft paying them for exclusivity. You think Warner released the Matrix and Paramount working on Star Trek out of the goodness of their hearts?

LOL

They picked the wrong Star Trek anyways. Give me TNG!

neojubei said:
When it happens, whenever that maybe.

You already have a 360. At what price would you consider the add-on?

If MS wants to make a bigger impact in the format war this holiday season, they should lower the add-on for $129 (hell, make it at $99) with the free 5 movie offer. They should capitalize on that, especially with the bigger 360 userbase.

I personally went neutral cause I got my PS3 at around $130 CAD TX incl. after a trade-in promo a while back at a local EB. I would have never paid full price to own Blu-ray. It was a logic choice for me so I wouldn't miss any HD content.

djkimothy said:

I absolutely cannot get that page to load completely in IE, Firefox, or Safari. is it possible to youtube it?

captive

DarkJediKnight said:
I was just half kidding around.
Does it really matter that they were paid or not, the fact is Warner's "neutrality" is a joke.

The Main Event said:
You already have a 360. At what price would you consider the add-on?

If MS wants to make a bigger impact in the format war this holiday season, they should lower the add-on for $129 (hell, make it at $99) with the free 5 movie offer. They should capitalize on that, especially with the bigger 360 userbase.

I personally went neutral cause I got my PS3 at around $130 CAD TX incl. after a trade-in promo a while back at a local EB. I would have never paid full price to own Blu-ray. It was a logic choice for me so I wouldn't miss any HD content.

I personally think MS could have killed the PS3 and Bluray in one swipe but missed their chance.
When PS3 came out of the game stumbling all of the high def crowd was deep in the hd-dvd camp.
If MS had cut the hd add on to 149 with an additional 50$ rebate if bought with a 360 it would have been a fatality and BR would have never had time to gain its footing.

LM4sure

Banned
Was this already posted?

Competing formats struggle for dominance In the United States, standalone HD DVD players have 61 percent market share, while Blu-ray players have 36 percent share and the few dual-format players have a 3 percent share, according to market research company The NPD Group Inc.

w00t if not

LM4sure said:
Was this already posted?

w00t if not

I am looking for the w00t but can't see it.
If it is supposed to be w00t for hd-dvd I would be a little embarrassed that with that many more players that hd still cant get sales leads.
If it is for Blu ray it really is not a woot since it needs to do better in stand alone units.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Marty Chinn said:
The one thing I hate about the Xbox 360 HD-DVD interface is the controller does jack when using it. I wish the buttons were mapped to doing something useful other than bringing up the menu interface for the 360.

Why don't you use the media remote? It comes packed in with the HD DVD drive.

You can still call up the HD DVD menus on the Xbox controller by pushing either up or right (depending on the studio) on the analog stick to access all the special features. Also, the menu that comes up with the 360 controller by hitting a button can still be used to set stuff up like subtitles, network connectivity options, or set the digital sound option to DD, DTS, or 2ch PCM.

Unfortunately, there is some stuff you can't do with the xbox controller as far as HD DVD special features, like instantly calling up the in-movie experience stuff, the movie editing of 300, or the bookmark feature. So you'll still need the media remote that came packed in.

OokieSpookie said:
I personally think MS could have killed the PS3 and Bluray in one swipe but missed their chance.
When PS3 came out of the game stumbling all of the high def crowd was deep in the hd-dvd camp.
If MS had cut the hd add on to 149 with an additional 50$ rebate if bought with a 360 it would have been a fatality and BR would have never had time to gain its footing.

Exactly. Well I wouldn't go as far as saying that it would kill most BD sales, the race would be a lot closer right now.

Everyone keeps talking about the PS3 advantage, the 360 can have it too.

What I think they should do in the 4th quarter:

$129 add-on plus 5 free movie offer.
An additional $50 instant coupon rebate for new 360 owners (bringing it down to $79).
Release a black HD DVD add-on.
Update their pack-in movie by replacing King Kong with The Bourne Ultimatum.

Combined with the G3 Toshiba HD DVD players, the cheap Chinese HD DVD players, the Onkyo HD DVD player, the possibility of finding the G2 players at a low clearance price, and you've got something that exclusive BD movie studios should be concerned about by not supporting it.

LM4sure

Banned
djkimothy said:
That was posted many times before. And still, it doesn't mean much if they can't sell software.

But does it mean anything if bluray can sell software, but not the players? LOL! Know what I mean? It is waaaaay to early to declare a winner, but all the bluray fans would like us to think otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom