• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djkimothy

captive said:
Makes yourself a surround sound system :p

I can't! With where the TV is in the living room, it's impossible to set up a proper 5.1 system. This is why I need a good job and move out. :)

Who knew an MSc in chemistry is worthless. :/

MS should get the add-on down to $125 or lower heading into November. I got mine for $200cdn last Christmas so this new US price is pretty strange.

Bebpo

Banned
mrklaw said:
anyone got Patlabor or Jin-Roh? Are they out yet?

Tempted but they are expensive so I figured I'd wait until an Anime nut bought them and gave their impressions.

I have them on DVD but am curious about anime in HD. Especially Giant Robots.

Jin-Roh is September 25th in Japan.

Patlabor...http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/6445.php. I never saw the first Patlabor movie (just some of the TV series & movie 3) so I'm not paying the BV prices for it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
djkimothy said:
I can't! With where the TV is in the living room, it's impossible to set up a proper 5.1 system. This is why I need a good job and move out. :)

We need some science teachers in the USVI. The pay is modest, but you get to live in paradise. :D

djkimothy

VanMardigan said:
We need some science teachers in the USVI. The pay is modest, but you get to live in paradise. :D

Sounds sweet. But the reason I'm having trouble looking for jobs is that I'm holding out to live here in Ottawa.

It would be nice to get a job at Health Canada! Damn them and their "friends only" hiring policy! :(

for as many blu ray fanboys there are here, youd think they realize that if it wasnt for toshiba and hddvd theyd still be paying way to much for players and still be getting bit rate starved mpeg-2 releases. Being a HD fan is good, being a HD fanboy is not. if you truly like hi def movies buy both and stop caring about being on a "winning" side. some of you act as if youre personally vested in the war and it hinges on you personally buying every single hd release and pushing propaganda all day long on an internet message board

StanTheCaddy said:
for as many blu ray fanboys there are here, youd think they realize that if it wasnt for toshiba and hddvd theyd still be paying way to much for players and still be getting bit rate starved mpeg-2 releases. Being a HD fan is good, being a HD fanboy is not. if you truly like hi def movies buy both and stop caring about being on a "winning" side. some of you act as if youre personally vested in the war and it hinges on you personally buying every single hd release and pushing propaganda all day long on an internet message board

1. The price of PS3 would have no effect. Most of us Blu-ray fans here own a PS3.
2. Mpeg-2 was a holdover until Sony and Panasonic completed their AVC codecs. Sony stated this in June 2006. Now most releases are in AVC from Sony, Disney, Lionsgate. Fox, we'll see once they release anything.

3. People can buy whatever they want. I think for most people here, we want ONE format. I think it's pretty logical to root for the winning format so that we can quickly have some peace.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
StanTheCaddy said:

Nope, I think the PS3 would have cost the same

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
StanTheCaddy said:
Bit rate starved Mpeg 2 releases?
Mpeg 2 releases
Crank
Black Hawk Down
Tears of the Sun
Kingdom of Heaven
Just to name a few.

What do these all have in common? Most are considered top notch HD quality.

Christopher

I went to return Ninja Gaiden to blockbuster and there were blu ray signs EVERYWHERE "Experience the next in high definition" or something like that.

the ps3 price is irrelevant as its no longer the cheapest blu ray player, the $300 sony is much more desirable than a $500 ps3.

mpeg-2 releases were a holdover now huh? so not only did the blu-ray group knowingly release transfers that were terrible, they were now to hold people over so they could double dip them, give me a break. without competition they would have taken there sweet time trying to implement better audio and video, they arent doing it out of the generosity of their heart, theyre trying to win the war. They did this as a holdover for what, finishing the specs on the format (which still havnt been completed). do you think java implementation would be where its at if it wasnt for the competition?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
$300 sony? what?

captive said:
Mpeg 2 releases
Crank
Black Hawk Down
Tears of the Sun
Kingdom of Heaven
Just to name a few.

and i can easily name more mpeg2 titles that launched with the player that are considered crap, goes both ways.

in the end, as long as i have the movie with lossless audio and a pristine 1080p picture, i wouldnt care what format its on. competition drives down prices and is beneficial to the consumer.

captive

StanTheCaddy said:
and i can easily name more mpeg2 titles that launched with the player that are considered crap, goes both ways.

in the end, as long as i have the movie with lossless audio and a pristine 1080p picture, i wouldnt care what format its on. competition drives down prices and is beneficial to the consumer.
Yes and having one format benefits the consumer more, seeing that most consumers dont want to choose between two formats, dont want players that will be obsolete the list goes on and on.
reference see SACD vs. DVD-A

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
StanTheCaddy said:
the ps3 price is irrelevant as its no longer the cheapest blu ray player, the $300 sony is much more desirable than a $500 ps3.

mpeg-2 releases were a holdover now huh? so not only did the blu-ray group knowingly release transfers that were terrible, they were now to hold people over so they could double dip them, give me a break. without competition they would have taken there sweet time trying to implement better audio and video, they arent doing it out of the generosity of their heart, theyre trying to win the war. They did this as a holdover for what, finishing the specs on the format (which still havnt been completed). do you think java implementation would be where its at if it wasnt for the competition?

Times like this, I wish we could reach across the internet and slap the shit out of people.

captive

Crayon Shinchan said:
Times like this, I wish we could reach across the internet and slap the shit out of people.
Like this?
bchslap19tq.gif

How did you get your tag... lol

Oni Jazar

Apparently competition between the studios isn't enough to provide excellent picture and sound.

Apparently competition between CE companies isn't enough to provide well built and competitively affordable machines in time.

Apparently we need a double layer of incompatible formats on top of studio/CE competition to confuse consumers and form like Voltron to solve all the worlds problems.

Problems like having one movie in one format (Evil Dead 2 - only on Blu-ray) and the sequel on another (Army of Darkness - Only on HD DVD).

Thanks Format War!

LM4sure

Banned
captive said:
lol you think that was defensive, i was proving your ignorant ass wrong.

So how bout my paypal offer, 20 bucks for you to shut the fuck up and never post in this thread again upon pain of banning?

You can do whatever you want. Just tone down the defensiveness a bit, k?

Crayon Shinchan said:

This coming from the largest blu ray fanboy on this board. man i bet sony is so proud of you

youre not a movie fan, youre a format fan as indicated by
1) your extreme dedication to both sony and a movie format
2) the titles you purchase

theres no point in arguing with you because you obviously hate movies

dont get me wrong i love both formats, but if i can get a format with the best of both worlds id be more than happy to adopt that as the winning format, until then ill continue to buy both and *gasp* actually enjoy watching hi def movies rather than try and convince myself and others that one format is better than the other

if you dont think competition drives down prices and creates sales your foolish. i guess the Blu ray group decided to throw in 5 free bd's out of generosity :lol

if hd-dvd fails, guess what ill still have a player and my discs will still work just fine. hell i can buy sealed laser disc player to this date and it would play laser discs without a problem

get off of it, i own more blu rays than i do HD-DVD's. This thread is worthless. I mean if half of you were actually rational rather than being so quick to discount anything said about HD-DVD we could probably be civil and actually talk about HD content rather than bicker about a format war.

thaivo

StanTheCaddy said:
get off of it, i own more blu rays than i do HD-DVD's. This thread is worthless. I mean if half of you were actually rational rather than being so quick to discount anything said about HD-DVD we could probably be civil and actually talk about HD content rather than bicker about a format war.

I am actually enjoying the format war. You know supporting the underdog. Of course, if it weren't for the PS3, BD would be dead in the water. :D

I agree that with the competition, things have been moving faster than they would have otherwise. Although, even if there was one single dominant format, the competition between studios and component manufactures themselves would likely have helped quality along as well.

Who really knows what would have happend, but what did happen was something similar to what you're arguing I suppose.

djkimothy

StanTheCaddy said:

:lol you really started off on the right foot in this thread eh?

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
StanTheCaddy said:
This coming from the largest blu ray fanboy on this board. man i bet sony is so proud of you

youre not a movie fan, youre a format fan as indicated by
1) your extreme dedication to both sony and a movie format
2) the titles you purchase

theres no point in arguing with you because you obviously hate movies

The titles I purchase? And what titles are those?

I obviously hate movies?

You ARE irrational.

Even with evidence right in your face; MPEG2 transfers can be of exceptional quality, you use it as a negative talking point.

mpeg-2 releases were a holdover now huh? so not only did the blu-ray group knowingly release transfers that were terrible, they were now to hold people over so they could double dip them, give me a break.

Mpeg 2 releases
Crank
Black Hawk Down
Tears of the Sun
Kingdom of Heaven
Just to name a few.

Regardless of what you own, it doesn't prevent you from been an uninformed douche of titanic proportions.

captive said:
+1 planet earth, freaking finally!
I will be getting mine next week, I hope. I can't wait to see it, I've heard so many good thing about it.

the "new" one with the american narrator is only available online, right? I don't want to get that one on accident (it is 1080i instead of 1080P, for one thing).

well you yourself stated your collection is already in the mid hundreds of blu ray, so that right there show that you buy some absolute shit.

none of the mpeg 2 transfers that launched with blu ray were good at all. hell they had to remaster fifth element to please the fans. of course you can get mpeg 2 to look good, theres no denying that, but i doubt they would have rushed to release good look movies if hd dvd wouldnt have helped push them along

hey captive did you pick up the bbc version or the discovery?? ive been waiting patiently to buy it after netflixing it twice and watching it on the discovery channel, i just havnt decided what version

captive

Yes i got the BBC version, i price matched Best Buys insanely stupid price of 99 dollars, for frys much more amazon like price of 69, handed over my gift cards and paid 10 bucks difference.

And you cant mistake the Discovery edition for the BBC edition because A) its only online and B) the BBC edition says "BBC" right on the front, back and side of the box.

yeah i think this month might be the month to get it as there isnt really anything on either format worth buying this month, so this would be the only time id could use spare dvd money

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
StanTheCaddy said:
well you yourself stated your collection is already in the mid hundreds of blu ray, so that right there show that you buy some absolute shit.

none of the mpeg 2 transfers that launched with blu ray were good at all. hell they had to remaster fifth element to please the fans. of course you can get mpeg 2 to look good, theres no denying that, but i doubt they would have rushed to release good look movies if hd dvd wouldnt have helped push them along

hey captive did you pick up the bbc version or the discovery?? ive been waiting patiently to buy it after netflixing it twice and watching it on the discovery channel, i just havnt decided what version

I what? There aren't even a few hundred BD releases out. You're delusional. Get some reading comprehension then come back.

Why would Sony want to use MPEG2 when they've got AVC sorted?

But it's not to say that MPEG2 encodes can't look good. You're focusing far too much on a few letters. They're not the major determining factor of image quality. A better codec helps sure, but a well transferred MPEG2 encode easily beats out a poorly done VC-1 or AVC encode.

captive said:
Yes i got the BBC version, i price matched Best Buys insanely stupid price of 99 dollars, for frys much more amazon like price of 69, handed over my gift cards and paid 10 bucks difference.

And you cant mistake the Discovery edition for the BBC edition because A) its only online and B) the BBC edition says "BBC" right on the front, back and side of the box.
good to hear that. btw, is that Fry's price in an ad or something that I can take in and have them price match it as well?

captive

bune duggy said:
good to hear that. btw, is that Fry's price in an ad or something that I can take in and have them price match it as well?
Its on their website. At first they tried to give me guff saying they dont pricematch websites and i was like theres a frys right up north...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
StanTheCaddy said:
for as many blu ray fanboys there are here, youd think they realize that if it wasnt for toshiba and hddvd theyd still be paying way to much for players and still be getting bit rate starved mpeg-2 releases. Being a HD fan is good, being a HD fanboy is not. if you truly like hi def movies buy both and stop caring about being on a "winning" side.
You're undermining the 'benefit' of competing formats by telling everyone to buy both formats, spending as much as they would have on this fictitious single monopolistic format.

If you're going to espouse the benefits of competition, don't turn around in the next sentence and completely neuter that benefit.

Costanza

Banned
Vacancy had a decent transfer for a mostly night-time movie, but wtf was up with that "Alternate Opening Sequence" in the special features? Labeled wrong? Felt like an ending to me.

captive

I just watched Black Hawk Down, first time on the new system, all i have to say is this is the movie that should have come with the PStriple.

djkimothy said:

Get a 2.1 system. 2 front speakers and a sub. Even something halfway decent will wow you.

A Home Media spokeswoman said Blu-ray got a further boost in August from strong sales of the "300" title. Stephen Nickerson, senior vice president, market management at Warner Home Video (TWX.N: Quote, Profile, Research), reported sales of about 190,000 Blu-ray units of the film, versus 97,000 in HD-DVD since July 31.

Official numbers from Warner.

1st week: 162.5k for Blu-ray. 87.5k for HD DVD. Nearly 2:1 ratio for Blu-ray.
2nd week: 28k for Blu-ray. 10k for HD DVD. Nearly 3:1 ratio for Blu-ray.

Anyone see a trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom