• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
with movie formats behaving more and more like proprietary game consoles, what are the odds that these are timed exclusives?

SRG01

MaX_PL said:
and the sale of cheap HD DVD players will just continue to grow this holiday.

No, that's not true either. Even with existing HD DVD players at a lower price point, BD sales are still pac-maning HD DVD. Content sells the Hi-Def wars.

This new announcement just killed it for the consumer; the war really needed to end but someone gave Paramount a moneyhat.

Even their BD titles sold more.

thaivo

Kolgar said:
Then again, once the dominoes start to fall, they usually keep falling. Maybe this announcement is just the push other "on-the-fence" studio execs need to take similar action.

I agree. It also seals the deal on Universal staying exclusive. Warner has always preferred HD-DVD, and it now gives them the incentive to go exclusive, as it makes their decision almost decisive. Warner going exclusive is actually potentially foreseeable, and could encourage Disney and Fox to go neutral...

OokieSpookie said:
And ....that is different than any disk on any of the Hd formats how?

well i guess it will probably have better ineteractivity and extras. also 8 gigs of the movie wont be wasted on an uneccesary PCM track. but other than that there wont be much difference

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
StanTheCaddy said:
bullshit and you know it. they announced that starting with blades of glory all of there releases will include uncompressed audio
Yea starting with idiot.
So yes it is a rarity, they have a ton of great movies that should have included lossless or uncompressed audio. Learn more.
Also blades of glory does not include lossless audio on the HD DVD version while it has it on blu-ray, not that it needs it.

Wasnt it paramount just a few weeks ago announcing that they would be including more extras and lossless audio on blu-ray releases because of the space?

Chemo

MaX_PL said:
and the sale of cheap HD DVD players will just continue to grow this holiday.
Yeah, but do you REALLY think that cheap HD DVD players are going to outsell a damn game console? It's still a niche market. How many overall HD DVD players + 360 HD DVD add ons have sold, and how many PS3s? I'm just saying. It's a LOT more PS3s, and that's not even counting the Blu-ray standalone players, which are obviously paltry in comparison, but still a number that should be taken into consideration. PS3s got a surge just last month thanks to the $100 price cut, and they'll get a surge in the holiday season thanks to moms and dads everywhere buying consoles for their children (and themselves), and it'll get an even larger surge in 2008 when its bigger name exclusives actually start to drop. Hell, at some point in the next 6-12 months, the thing is almost assuredly going to be $399 (or maybe even less). They're gonna move a lot more PS3s than HD DVD players.

I'm not saying that this deal is not way positive for HD DVD -- it totally, totally is. That's obviously why I am pissed about it. What I am saying, though, is that it's pretty ridiculous to think that there's going to be a week this year where HD DVD software sales are higher than Blu-ray. That math does NOT add up, even with exclusive Transformers.

SRG01

Kolgar said:
So we have moneyhats, yes, but we also have a press release stating that one of the reasons for this move is that HD DVD reaches more of a "family" audience than PS3--er, Blu-ray.

That makes sense given the sales of standalone players, but I agree that this move may only prolong the format war unless another big announcement comes along or retailers decide to drop one of the formats to end this thing themselves.

Then again, once the dominoes start to fall, they usually keep falling. Maybe this announcement is just the push other "on-the-fence" studio execs need to take similar action.

Damn, it feels good to be format neutral!

Family audience? Are you seriously believing that?

At this stage, the "family audience" probably makes up a tiny fraction of HD sales -- which are most likely dominated by early adopters, enthusiasts, and people who buy HD TVs as their new TV.

Paramount probably got enough money upfront to do this deal to offset their losses of going HD-DVD exclusive for the next few years. However, it is unknown how much they were making off their BD sales in the first place (which were, incidentally, higher than their HD-DVD sales IIRC).

jjasper

thaivo said:
I agree. It also seals the deal on Universal staying exclusive. Warner has always preferred HD-DVD, and it now gives them the incentive to go exclusive, as it makes their decision almost decisive. Warner going exclusive is actually potentially foreseeable, and could encourage Disney and Fox to go neutral...

Warner has always preferred HD DVD till recently. They have actually be going the opposite way since they noticed their BD sell almost 2x as much.

cvxfreak

VanMardigan said:
Both are identical visually. The HD DVD Letters of Iwo Jima does boast an additional Dolby Digital Plus track in addition to the Dolby TrueHD track, while the BR version only has a regular DD track in addition to the True HD track. The HD DVD version is also a combo disc until they re-issue it as HD DVD only on October 2nd.

Thanks -- HD-DVD is a no-brainer then.

captive

StanTheCaddy said:
dont act like you werent insinuating that transformers wouldnt get lossless
at least have the decency to quote me.
I never said it wasnt.
But none of the MI movies or Flags have uncompressed or lossless audio, so yes it is a rarity.

MechDX

Chemo said:
Yeah, but do you REALLY think that cheap HD DVD players are going to outsell a damn game console? It's still a niche market. How many overall HD DVD players + 360 HD DVD add ons have sold, and how many PS3s? I'm just saying. It's a LOT more PS3s, and that's not even counting the Blu-ray standalone players, which are obviously paltry in comparison, but still a number that should be taken into consideration. PS3s got a surge just last month thanks to the $100 price cut, and they'll get a surge in the holiday season thanks to moms and dads everywhere buying consoles for their children (and themselves), and it'll get an even larger surge in 2008 when its bigger name exclusives actually start to drop. Hell, at some point in the next 6-12 months, the thing is almost assuredly going to be $399 (or maybe even less). They're gonna move a lot more PS3s than HD DVD players.

I'm not saying that this deal is not way positive for HD DVD -- it totally, totally is. That's obviously why I am pissed about it. What I am saying, though, is that it's pretty ridiculous to think that there's going to be a week this year where HD DVD software sales are higher than Blu-ray. That math does NOT add up, even with exclusive Transformers.

Hih? the last article I read stated that 60% of PS3 owners didnt even know about the PS3's BR capabilities.

You think a sub $200 HD DVD player wont sell better than a $500 game console that also plays movies?:lol

Laurent

StanTheCaddy said:
WTF?? is this actually an argument now?? hes not thinking about the future hes thinking man i can get Ghost Rider for 13 bucks or i can get it for 30 bucks .
Alright, calm down... I know for a fact that I stopped spending on DVD a couple of months ago because of the new format. I haven't gone as far as to buy Blu-ray or HD-DVD before getting an HDTV two weeks ago, but I can see why someone would do such a thing just not to buy everything twice. Why do you think HD-DVD / DVD combo format are available in the first place?!

MaX_PL

Banned
SRG01 said:
No, that's not true either. Even with existing HD DVD players at a lower price point, BD sales are still pac-maning HD DVD. Content sells the Hi-Def wars.

This new announcement just killed it for the consumer; the war really needed to end but someone gave Paramount a moneyhat.

Even their BD titles sold more.

i was referring to the rumored Walmart players and sub $200 players.

captive said:
at least have the decency to quote me.
I never said it wasnt.
But none of the MI movies or Flags have uncompressed or lossless audio, so yes it is a rarity.

yes thats true, but it didnt have lossless on either format. i only bought flags because its a damn good movie and mission impossible3 i got for free. thats usually one of my stipulations for buying next gen is that the transfer has to be good and it has to have lossless.

i just dont get how staunch blu ray supporters act like this is not newsworthy and that it will have no effect. if you think paramount/dreamworks is not huge, think again

jjasper

MechDX said:
You think a sub $200 HD DVD player wont sell better than a $500 game console that also plays movies?:lol

It won't. Not this year at least. Maybe when people are ready for HD media, but this year PS3 will be the #1 next gen media player.

Chemo

MechDX said:
Hih? the last article I read stated that 60% of PS3 owners didnt even know about the PS3's BR capabilities.

Wow, 60% of the PS3 owners that were polled didn't even know about the PS3's Blu-ray capabilities! We all know that polling is the best way to get facts ever, right up there with using Amazon sales ranking as a good yardstick for sales analysis.

And yes. A $500 game console that also plays movies is going to sell MUCH better than a sub-$200 HD DVD player. There is still SERIOUS doubt among the general population about HD formats, and this move is going to increase that doubt, not decrease it. The PS3 will sell because people want to play freaking PS3 games. Then, there's a good chance that they may or may not pick up a few Blu-ray movies to go along with it.

White Man

Ugh, I was just starting to build a Blu-Ray collection over the past few weeks. Back to straight DVD for me. Can this fucking format war end already?

MaX_PL

Banned
Chemo said:

as has already been said, the sale of a standalone player means that consumer will actually use their product as an HD player. the sale of a PS3 does not gurarantee that the purchase will help BluRay sales grow.

SRG01

MaX_PL said:
i was referring to the rumored Walmart players and sub $200 players.

That's what I was referring to as well.

Let's face it, HD-DVD players are already much cheaper than the alternative BD, er PS3, player. Hardware sales for standalone players are good, but content sales are still sluggish.

What makes you think a $200 player will make a difference when you know that similarly priced BD players will be coming soon?

(PS. Walmart HD-DVD players debunked earlier already. Sorry.)

jjasper said:
It won't. Not this year at least. Maybe when people are ready for HD media, but this year PS3 will be the #1 next gen media player.

and there is no way to know how many of those ps3's will be used as movie players. granted ps3 made a huge difference when it launched, but sub 200 prices and advertising will make a pretty decen difference as well. the war should be pretty interesting this holiday

id says samsungs new combo player if it decodes all the audio codecs and handles both 1.1 and inHD will be a huge seller for them

OverHeat

« generous god »
White Man said:
Ugh, I was just starting to build a Blu-Ray collection over the past few weeks. Back to straight DVD for me. Can this fucking format war end already?
Your a MOD, Im sure you can afford both format :D

MechDX

jjasper said:

"Next gen Media player".....WTF is this category?:lol

If a sub $200 HD DVD player gets released this holiday it WILL outsell the PS3 as long as it isnt supply constrained. We sure as hell know the PS3 is readily available.

SRG01

MechDX said:

Are we going to start quoting bad statistics now? We might as well allow v******z back into sales-age. :lol

Chemo

MaX_PL said:
as has already been said, the sale of a standalone player means that consumer will actually use their product as an HD player. the sale of a PS3 does not gurarantee that the purchase will help BluRay sales grow.
And, as has already been seen, the sale of a PS3 happens so much more frequently than the sale of an HD DVD player or an HD DVD 360 add on that it totally doesn't fucking matter and Blu-ray outsells the hell out of HD DVD.

What exactly is your point?

captive

White Man said:
Can this fucking format war end already?
Ddidly from AVS said:
i know this is probably dream like news for the hd-dvd diehards on this forum who were worried about their investment, but this is terribly sad news for the HD disc era as a whole.
two of the best quotes i have read since this news came out.

Chemo

MechDX said:
If a sub $200 HD DVD player gets released this holiday it WILL outsell the PS3 as long as it isnt supply constrained. We sure as hell know the PS3 is readily available.
Supply constrained HD DVD player? Are you fucking joking?! I am laughing my ass off here. Joke poster confirmed?

captive

MechDX said:
No, really it wont.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Guys, this really shouldnt change your buying habits.

1) If you own HDDVD, be happy that the format got a shot in the arm. It could still die a year or two from now, but buy movies and enjoy them, they dont stop playing if the format dies.

2) BRD owners, this isnt a death nail, it probably just evens things up a bit. Buy movies, enjoy them, if BRD dies (or they both die), its not like the awesome movies will stop working. Also, welcome to the world of bad news Ive been living in for about a year :lol

jjasper

StanTheCaddy said:
and there is no way to know how many of those ps3's will be used as movie players. granted ps3 made a huge difference when it launched, but sub 200 prices and advertising will make a pretty decen difference as well. the war should be pretty interesting this holiday

id says samsungs new combo player if it decodes all the audio codecs and handles both 1.1 and inHD will be a huge seller for them

I actually added up the number of PS3's that were being used as BD players off Toshiba's numbers somewhere in this thread but I am not going to go look for them.

MechDX said:
"Next gen Media player".....WTF is this category?:lol

Seriously it won't. The PS3 will outsell all HD DVD players combined this holiday. They don't sell as well. period.

I am not saying all the PS3's sold will be used as BD players though.

MechDX

Chemo said:
Supply constrained HD DVD player? Are you fucking joking?! I am laughing my ass off here. Joke poster confirmed?

Um yeah, we know the BR player maufacturers were never supply constrained. Blu diodes....

captive

StoOgE said:
2) BRD owners, this isnt a death nail, it probably just evens things up a bit. Buy movies, enjoy them, if BRD dies (or they both die), its not like the awesome movies will stop working. Also, welcome to the world of bad news Ive been living in for about a year :lol
See thats my problem, i fucking love high definition movies. If they both die im going to be pissed.
No digital downloads are not acceptable.

Gattsu25

Banned
White Man said:
I'm in the same situation

Oh well, I'll pick up after the war is over and both are left dead

captive

MechDX said:
Yes really, it will.
You are you fucking ignorant.
Theres what 300k standalone hd dvd players since it came out over a year ago?
And you honestly expect that type of player to magically outsell a games console during christmas. Grow a brain.

Laurent

captive said:
See thats my problem, i fucking love high definition movies. If they both die im going to be pissed.
No digital downloads are not acceptable.
But what if Apple makes it all easy, fast and great with an Apple TV 2.0?

captive

nategc said:
why the hell not?....sams club already have one sub 300.
Ok and has it outsold the ps3? no it hasnt.
go back to the gaming discussion where you are welcomed as a troll.

But what if Apple makes it all easy, fast and great with an Apple TV 2.0?
Fuck that.

Midas

White Man said:

I feel you. I'm just glad I didn't start collecting either of the format just yet. I'll wait a year or two, getting just necessary movies on DVD such as This is England and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom