• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djkimothy

VanMardigan said:
Hey, good thing you noticed i'm not a fair-weather poster. I don't hide when the bad news hits, and I'm certainly not hiding when this ridiculous piece of awesome news flies across my computer monitor. Plus, this news won't affect the numbers for this week.
the shockwave will be felt later this year ;p

fixed

Van, you're the only reasonable HDDVD guy around here.

appearantly the numbers dont mean shit to paramount/dreamworks. i dont give a fuck about numbers either, im to busy watching hi def movies on both formats to care. it doesnt matter what format you choose because in 10+ years something else will come out that will be even better. this is a hobby, not an investment.

Numbers don't mean shit to me when I get a big fat paycheck.

The thing is. I'm not willing to spend more money and support two media platforms. A hybrid player is too expensive and having two players is just annoying. I honestly can't recommend anyone to go HD anymore.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
jjasper said:
I am not insulted. I am pissed I wanted a 360 and though I had worked out a way to get one, but now I am going to keep my HD DVD player. It was a joke refering MS's (where the money probably came from) moneyhat keeping me from buying a 360.

ah, I read that wrong. My apologies. And you know, if I pick up that 720p projector, I just might buy that player from you. That is, if you want the 3rd gen Toshiba ones that were announced.

edit:

passing 10k would've meant more if it was just the regulars pushing it through, but when news this big hits, I guess the influx is to be expected. Don't worry, we should be by ourselves again tomorrow or Wednesday. :D

Kujo

VanMardigan said:
"Bluray/HD-DVD: VHS takeover watch"

Both formats overtook VHS already, go take your bitter tears (and the whole "OMG, HD MEDIA IS DED") FUD elsewhere.
Wow, it was a joke......

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Laurent said:
This is all I found from Paramount / DreamWorks on Blu-ray... Maybe some DreamWorks stuff is missing because it's sometimes distributed by somebody else...

Disturbia (Paramount)
Shooter (Paramount)
The Untouchables (Paramount)
The Warriors: Ultimate Director's Cut (Paramount)
Black Snake Moan (Paramount)
Hustle & Flow (Paramount)
Coming to America (Paramount)
Norbit (Paramount)
Trading Places (Paramount)
Flags of Our Fathers (DreamWorks)
Freedom Writers (Paramount)
M:I-2 (Paramount)
Mission: Impossible (Paramount)
Dreamgirls (DreamWorks)
Failure to Launch (Paramount)
Payback: Straight Up - The Director's Cut (Paramount)
Babel (Paramount)
Black Rain (Paramount)
The Manchurian Candidate (2004) (Paramount)
We Were Soldiers (Paramount)
World Trade Center (Paramount)
Nacho Libre (Paramount)
Reds (Paramount)
Mission: Impossible - Ultimate Missions Collection (Paramount)
Mission: Impossible III (Paramount)
The Italian Job (2003) (Paramount)
Sahara (Paramount)
Aeon Flux (Paramount)
U2: Rattle and Hum (Paramount)
Four Brothers (Paramount)
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (Paramount)
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (Paramount)
Sleepy Hollow (Paramount)

These are all of them. 43 titles.

Aeon Flux
An Officer and a Gentleman
Babel
Black Rain
Black Snake Moan
Blades of Glory
Coming to America
Disturbia
Dreamgirls
Face/Off
Failure to Launch
Flags of Our Fathers
Flashdance
Four Brothers
Freedom Writers
Ghost
Hustle & Flow
The Italian Job
The Jack Ryan Collection
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
The Manchurian Candidate
Mission Impossible
Mission Impossible II
Mission Impossible III
Mission Impossible: Ultimate Missions Collection
Nacho Libre
Next
Norbit
Payback: Straight Up
Reds: 25th Anniversary Edition
Sahara
Saturday Night Fever
Shooter
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Sleepy Hollow
Top Gun
Trading Places
U2: Rattle and Hum
The Untouchables
The Warriors: Ultimate Director's Cut
We Were Soldiers
World Trade Center
Zodiac

EDIT: Ok, a few of those are announced titles. So don't count as available now.

jjasper

VanMardigan said:
ah, I read that wrong. My apologies. And you know, if I pick up that 720p projector, I just might buy that player from you. That is, if you want the 3rd gen Toshiba ones that were announced.

We shall see, I acutally got the firmware updated:D

The lure of Heroes though....the longer I wait to sell the less likely it is I actually do, cause if I have the player the day Heroes comes out I will buy it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
dallow_bg said:

Aeon Flux
Babel
Black Rain
Black Snake Moan
Blades of Glory
Coming to America
Disturbia
Dreamgirls
Face/Off
Failure to Launch
Flags of Our Fathers
Flashdance
Four Brothers
Freedom Writers
Ghost
Hustle & Flow
The Italian Job
The Jack Ryan Collection
The Manchurian Candidate
Mission Impossible
Mission Impossible II
Mission Impossible III
Nacho Libre
Next
Norbit
Sahara
Saturday Night Fever
Shooter
Sleepy Hollow
Top Gun
Trading Places
The Untouchables
We Were Soldiers
World Trade Center
Zodiac

Zodiac has been indefinitely delayed until Fincher does his UBER special edition.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Mojo said:
Wow, it was a joke......

This thread has a long history of folks coming in to troll about how both formats are nothing more than betamax/laserdisc sequels, so I'm sorry I didn't catch the "joke".

Phoenix

Well that about ends the chances for the war ending any time soon so I'm not sure if it doesn't make sense for a sensible VOD format to step in and become a viable option as two competing formats is not an option for anyone. This was one of the most foolish moves I've ever seen as we were on the way to ushering out HDVD for goodness sakes.

That said, having Transformers in HDVD is all the reason I need to never own the format because I don't want anyone to give me that steaming pile of shit as a present.

nategc said:
mmm, how exactly? i own every next gen console

the power of assumption i guess

What does owning every console mean?
That is like someone saying "I am not racist because I have a black friend".
I am not going to get into it in here, because this is not the forum for that and until today this forum had been pretty mature but do not even try and play the "I'm neutral" card.

nategc

Banned
which format is cheaper....i wasn't keeping up with the format warz and i only rent bluray.

but if paramont really is exclusive to hd-dvd, i wouldn't mind buying the add on for my 360.

djkimothy said:
Van, you're the only reasonable HDDVD guy around here.

*cough* bullshit *cough*

Seriously now what is with this " I can't recommend an HD format to people now" and "HD formats are doomed" talk. Only a very small portion of the HDTV owning population has a Hi-Def movie player right now and the format wars have only been going for ~1 year. The average consumer doesn't want digital distribution, they're going to want to own an actual HD disc.

also :lol at how Transformers has suddenly become a steaming pile of shit, when it was supposed to be such an awesome HD movie a few weeks ago.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Man. What a whole load of bullshit.

What a massive f-u from paramount to the HD buying public. Lets extend format war... for what?

Just when BD 1.1 was about to roll around as well.

Oh well. Whatever happens happens. If the format war is still not resolved by the end of next year, I'll officially go neutral too.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Just posted this in the other thread.. but I think its true:

the good news of the moneyhat likely means Universal like level of dedication to the format. I think we can expect a TON of releases from Paramount/Dreamworks starting in 2008. Lets face it, they havent exactly been releasing a ton up to this point, but they have alot of very good movies coming soon/on the horizon and a great backlog.

The good news from BRD fans is that it means Sony Fox and Disney are going to have to step up their game as well.

You may not get Paramount movies, but you may wind up with more movies at the end of the day.

nategc said:
which format is cheaper....i wasn't keeping up with the format warz and i only rent bluray.

but if paramont really is exclusive to hd-dvd, i wouldn't mind buying the add on for my 360.

ive seen both the addon for 150 new as well as the hdA2 for 200 new. keep your eyes open for deals and say no to MSRP

Laurent

dallow_bg said:

Aeon Flux
Babel
Black Rain
Black Snake Moan
Blades of Glory
Coming to America
Disturbia
Dreamgirls
Face/Off
Failure to Launch
Flags of Our Fathers
Flashdance
Four Brothers
Freedom Writers
Ghost
Hustle & Flow
The Italian Job
The Jack Ryan Collection
The Manchurian Candidate
Mission Impossible
Mission Impossible II
Mission Impossible III
Nacho Libre
Next
Norbit
Sahara
Saturday Night Fever
Shooter
Sleepy Hollow
Top Gun
Trading Places
The Untouchables
We Were Soldiers
World Trade Center
Zodiac
55 total if you include unreleased stuff (will they ever come out?). Here's what I've got...

August 28, 2007
• Blades of Glory (Paramount)

September 18, 2007
• Saturday Night Fever (Paramount)

September 25, 2007
• Next (Paramount)

October 02, 2007
• Top Gun (Paramount)

October 23, 2007
• The Jack Ryan Collection (Paramount)

October 30, 2007
• Face/Off (Paramount)

Release Dates Postponed
• Flashdance (Paramount)
• Ghost (Paramount)
• An Officer and a Gentleman (Paramount)
• Zodiac (Paramount)

Release Dates Pending
• Braveheart (Paramount)
• Coach Carter (Paramount)
• Elizabethtown (Paramount)
• Forrest Gump (Paramount)
• Grease (Paramount)
• Save the Last Dance (Paramount)
• School of Rock (Paramount)
• Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie (Paramount)
• Star Trek: First Contact (Paramount)
• Star Trek: The Original Series (Paramount)
• Vanilla Sky (Paramount)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
nategc said:

Well, sir, if you act now, you can get your Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on for $179. Wait.....there's more!! You also get King Kong and the Xbox 360 media remote. Wait..........there's more: you also get 5 free HD DVD movies with a mail-in form.

Oh man, that deal just got a whole lot sweeter today. As if it wasn't sweet enough already.

nategc

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
What does owning every console mean?
That is like someone saying "I am not racist because I have a black friend".
I am not going to get into it in here, because this is not the forum for that and until today this forum had been pretty mature but do not even try and play the "I'm neutral" card.
so your trying to say that i'm a complete troll and hates sony with a passion?, give me a break...opinions is opinions and guess what, i have one.. i throw criticism to xbox 360, wii. what nda did i sign to keep that away from the ps3?

VanMardigan said:
Well, sir, if you act now, you can get your Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on for $179. Wait.....there's more!! You also get King Kong and the Xbox 360 media remote. Wait..........there's more: you also get 5 free HD DVD movies with a mail-in form.

Oh man, that deal just got a whole lot sweeter today. As if it wasn't sweet enough already.

really, the guy at sams club said i could pick up the hd dvd movies on the spot, wow that sound great for a deal, so thats a total of 6 movies, a remote,plus a cheaper price. I guess i could wait till december for it though :D

Kujo

VanMardigan said:
This thread has a long history of folks coming in to troll about how both formats are nothing more than betamax/laserdisc sequels, so I'm sorry I didn't catch the "joke".
Well of course you wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I've always hated that argument that neither format would succeed because they're too niche too, but this news doesn't exactly help. No doubt it's always better to have one standard format to push into the mainstream audience. I hope combo players come down in price real fast if this shit is going to continue.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
StanTheCaddy said:
not 100% true, the only movies that are more expensive are combos and some sony and all fox releases are expensive as fuck. spiderman 3 49.99 MSRP GTFO
FaceOff has a cheaper MSRP on BD on the count of being 1 disc, while the HD DVD version is 2 disc.

Same features for both.

VanMardigan said:

if he gets it this week, i think best buy is still giving 300 with it

nategc

Banned
StanTheCaddy said:
if he gets it this week, i think best buy is still giving 300 with it

wait, 300 comes with it too? oh shit. so if i buy it friday, i still be able to get king kong,the 5 hd dvds and 300... friday it is :D

dankir

OH SNAP!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=36487

Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG each announced today that they will exclusively support the next-generation HD DVD format on a worldwide basis. The exclusive HD DVD commitment will include all movies distributed by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films, as well as movies from DreamWorks Animation, which are distributed exclusively by Paramount Home Entertainment.

The companies each said that the decision to distribute exclusively in the HD DVD format resulted from an extensive evaluation of current market offerings, which confirmed the clear benefits of HD DVD, particularly its market-ready technology and lower manufacturing costs. Paramount Home Entertainment will launch its exclusive HD DVD program with the release of the blockbuster comedy hit Blades of Glory on August 28th and follow with two of the biggest grossing movies of the year Transformers and Shrek the Third. These three titles alone represent more than $1.5 billion in box office ticket sales worldwide.

"The combination of Paramount and DreamWorks Animation brings a critical mass of current box office hits to consumers with a line-up of live action and animated films that are perfect for HD DVD," stated Brad Grey, Chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures, which is currently the leading studio in domestic box office. "Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater, and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience. I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount."

"We decided to release 'Shrek the Third' and other DreamWorks Animation titles exclusively on HD DVD because we believe it is the best format to bring high quality home entertainment to a key segment of our audience -- families," stated DreamWorks Animation CEO, Jeffrey Katzenberg. "We believe the combination of this year's low-priced HD DVD players and the commitment to release a significant number of hit titles in the fall makes HD DVD the best way to view movies at home."

The studios said, "With the rapid increase of HD TV screens in households, and audiences wanting to enjoy the total entertainment experience, HD DVD has emerged as the most affordable way for consumers to watch their movies in high definition. In addition to pristine quality, HD DVD also offers consumers the chance to personalize the movie-watching experience, to interact with their movies and even to connect with a community of other fans."

Paramount Home Entertainment will issue new releases day and date as well as catalog titles exclusively on HD DVD. Today's announcement does not include films directed by Steven Spielberg as his films are not exclusive to either format.

Doesn't bother me though, I have a PS3 and an HD DVD add on. Transformers is all that matters!

nategc said:
wait, 300 comes with it too? oh shit. so if i buy it friday, i still be able to get king kong,the 5 hd dvds and 300... friday it is :D
if you search hard enough im sure theres 10% 12% off coupons on the internet as well

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
StoOgE said:
Just posted this in the other thread.. but I think its true:

the good news of the moneyhat likely means Universal like level of dedication to the format. I think we can expect a TON of releases from Paramount/Dreamworks starting in 2008. Lets face it, they havent exactly been releasing a ton up to this point, but they have alot of very good movies coming soon/on the horizon and a great backlog.

The good news from BRD fans is that it means Sony Fox and Disney are going to have to step up their game as well.

You may not get Paramount movies, but you may wind up with more movies at the end of the day.

There really is no good news to this.

I see this move likely has a high chance of stagnating the HD movie market.

Who the hell wants to buy into 2 incomplete formats that may not even last that long?

The only people this is good for are people that loathe Sony.

Laurent

dankir said:
I actually just posted it like that. Didn't know it was old. My bad.
No probs. We've been discussing this MEGATON announcement for the last 3-4 pages if not more...

OokieSpookie said:
And also missed the other big thread on page one right by this one...
There's another thread?! Bye!

SRG01

I think the reason why I'm so upset at this new development was because it took a non-market (ie. non-sales, moneyhat) solution to push Paramount in any given direction.

All market indicators showed that Le Bleu was winning by a fair margin and most, if not all, news showed more businesses blue-shifting mainly because of strong sales over HD-DVD.

And yet, Paramount took a money hat.

*starts chewing on his Libertarian hat*

The BD group might as well just give money hats to the other format neutrals just to end this war now.

StoOgE

dallow_bg said:
FaceOff has a cheaper MSRP on BD on the count of being 1 disc, while the HD DVD version is 2 disc.

Same features for both.

well to be fair, there isnt a BRD version anymore :lol

Arsenal

You can call these deals a "moneyhat" or whatever, but its not really the equivalent of what is going on in the video gaming industry. Advertising a new format means advertising specific content on that format. Companies like Paramount and Dreamworks are competing with Sony prictures in terms of content, so its obviously going to be much tougher for them to work out an ad deal for Blu-ray than it would be for HD DVD. Sony already has these kinds of deals for itself since it owns both the format and the movie studio. Toss in Disney and Blu-ray's other deals and there is not a whole lot of opportunity left for companies like Paramount.

Honestly, I never understood why other studios ever let Sony get this deep into the format war. That would be my worst nightmare if one of my biggest competitors also controlled the media format. To a certain extent, these movie studios don't really get a rats ass about the format, they just want to sell their content. If they get additional advertising on a specific format, then they are likely going to give more support there.

justjohn

the only thing that pisses me off is transformers. but the rest i can live without. there's no way i'm going have two high def players under my tv

StoOgE

Also, I like the moneyhatting claims when Sony just did the same thing to get blockbuster to start stocking their movies and Target to sell players exclusively. Everyone does it

SRG01 said:
I think the reason why I'm so upset at this new development was because it took a non-market (ie. non-sales, moneyhat) solution to push Paramount in any given direction.

All market indicators showed that Le Bleu was winning by a fair margin and most, if not all, news showed more businesses blue-shifting mainly because of strong sales over HD-DVD.

And yet, Paramount took a money hat.

*starts chewing on his Libertarian hat*

The BD group might as well just give money hats to the other format neutrals just to end this war now.

yes disney and fox are blu ray exclusive out of the kindness of their heart

Chemo

StoOgE said:
Also, I like the moneyhatting claims when Sony just did the same thing to get blockbuster to start stocking their movies and Target to sell players exclusively. Everyone does it
There was confirmation that Blockbuster was moneyhatted?

dankir

justjohn said:
the only thing that pisses me off is transformers. but the rest i can live without. there's no way i'm going have two high def players under my tv

Well aren't multi format players coming out? I plan on getting them when they become cheaper and most likely the 2nd generation.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Arsenal said:
You can call these deals a "moneyhat" or whatever, but its not really the equivalent of what is going on in the video gaming industry. Advertising a new format means advertising specific content on that format. Companies like Paramount and Dreamworks are competing with Sony prictures in terms of content, so its obviously going to be much tougher for them to work out an ad deal for Blu-ray than it would be for HD DVD. Sony already has these kinds of deals for itself since it owns both the format and the movie studio. Toss in Disney and Blu-ray's other deals and there is not a whole lot of opportunity left for companies like Paramount.

Honestly, I never understood why other studios ever let Sony get this deep into the format war. That would be my worst nightmare if one of my biggest competitors also controlled the media format. To a certain extent, these movie studios don't really get a rats ass about the format, they just want to sell their content. If they get additional advertising on a specific format, then they are likely going to give more support there.

So they choose to take a bigger slice of the smaller pie? Because they get to advertise more for the smaller pie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom