• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
captive said:
Yes CD and DVD players came down in price because of competting formats... oh wait.
Before you go in a tizzy, yes prices ARE cheaping because of copetting formats with blu-ray and hd dvd, however having two formats eventually is detrimental to the survival of either format. Reference SACD vs DVD-A.

assuming combo players dont become the norm and prices on those dont drop. hi def audio and these hi def movies are completely different beasts

SRG01

StanTheCaddy said:
no really it doesnt. i can gurantee that these standalone players would not be at the prices they are right now with the free movie offers if it wasnt for the other competing format.

its the exact same principle from the HDTV market plasmas are expensive, enter LCDs, enter DLPs. one drops prices the others follow suit. rinse and repeat until companies are selling close to cost or for a loss. see the playstation vs 360 argument as well

Not really.

If we are using HD TVs as an example, they compete because they offer different features and performances over the competitor's brand. As they research to bring down manufacturing costs (which saves them money), they also drop the price to get more consumers.

It is the same for the format wars; companies compete to sell a better player. Let's face it: we've all had good and bad DVD players before.

Third party companies won't invest as much capital in a dual format market as they would in a single format market because there's always a risk of their chosen format failing.

Having a media standard does not imply a lack of competition, but rather it creates more certainty in a market that previously had none -- which is a good thing.

Rabid Wolverine said:
Fox set to make an announcement in a few hours regarding future blu-ray releases.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...Commitment,_Announce_Future_Release_Plans/875

What a day.
so that's why I couldn't browse that site a little bit ago.

I was going to wait until Christmas to get a player but Best Buy has a thing where you can pick any two movies (not box sets) with purchase and get them free. That plus the (really very crappy) 5 free disc mail-in offer makes this a decent deal. I'm trying to find a 10% coupon but can't find one anywhere.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
MechDX said:
If a sub $200 HD DVD player gets released this holiday it WILL outsell the PS3 as long as it isnt supply constrained. We sure as hell know the PS3 is readily available.

Would you like to bet a month ban on this? I will.

Oni Jazar

VanMardigan said:
Fox, Disney, Target, Blockbuster, Digital Bits.........what does it say about Blu Ray that they had to pay for this stuff? Why doesn't he turn the argument around? Because he's contractually prevented from doing so. Dude is getting stuff from the BDA, he's so incredibly religious towards BR. Maybe that cake they got him at the home media event just melted his heart.:lol

Prove it. Bill Hunt has come out and explicily said that he's not getting any compensation for his thoughts. Everyone loves to throw out the moneyhat excuse (including Bill) but if someone says that they are not, you need have some proof that they are lying. Same with Fox, Disney, Target (aside from the obvoius cost of the endcap) & Blockbuster. Those business decisions make sense: Sacrifice the short term gain for the long term mass adoption of one format.

Chemo

XMonkey said:
Would you like to bet a month ban on this? I will.
I know, I already responded and referenced to that comment multiple times, but is that not the funniest shit that's been said in this thread for months? :lol

SRG01 said:
As a quick refresher, can someone list the recent FOX blockbusters? I haven't been watching movies for a while so...

There is that one movie, I think it was back in '77 though....something about a Toshi station and laser swords....

Believe

No not really

I was thinking just this morning that we needed a good flamewar to get the thread past the 10,000 post mark. Be careful what you wish for. :(

I'm pissed. Count me among those who think this is bad news for HD media overall. The best I can hope for is a reversal of the news, or that the tide flip very very quickly to HD-DVD (which I seriously doubt, for studio-politcal reasons). Bieng in the middle sucks, and being *closer* to the middle as a result of this announcement really, really sucks. But what ucks most of all is if I end up eating crow for all those who predicted both formats would be marginal. I want HD movies and I don't want to have to download them. :(

For what it's worth, I'd take Universal 100x over Paramount/Dreamworks if I got to pick, especially if it included all the currently released titles. I wonder if this actually makes it more likely/possible to Uni to go neutral? That's blind wishful thinking, but it's all I got today.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Man, you know, both formats look pretty even now with Universal/Paramount/Dreamworks exclusive to HD and Fox/Disney/Sony exclusive to Blu-Ray.

It kind of sucks that this will draw out the format wars further, but is great for me, since I have the HD-DVD add-on and I won't be getting a PS3 or investing in a BR player for several years (if ever).

and people kept telling me that Blu-Ray was going to steal all of HD-DVD's support. :p

Oni Jazar

Fox:

29 Titles To Debut Packed With Soon-to-Be-Announced BD Industry 'Firsts' - PLUS - Fox's First TV Title 'PRISON BREAK' FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER And LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD and Other Titles To Debut Day-and-Date on BD/DVD -- Blu-ray Out-Performing HD DVD 2-to-1 At Retail in 2007 --

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (TCFHE) today unveiled an aggressive global Blu-ray Disc release strategy including 29 new release and "must-have" catalog titles that runs through the end of the 2007 calendar year. Among the many highlights of the impressive worldwide slate are six day & date BD/DVD new theatrical releases from Fox including the $241 million box-office family favorite FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER and the $335 million box-office action powerhouse LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD, four day & date BD/DVD (U.S. only) new theatrical releases from MGM, 19 'must-have on BD' films from the two studios' libraries, Fox's first-ever TV release on BD - PRISON BREAK -- and Fox's intention to release at least one state-of-the-art title per month featuring numerous BD 'firsts.'

The only high-definition packaged media universally supported by the film, music, gaming and computer industries, BD is the #1 selling high-definition packaged media. In fact, on a worldwide basis, BD is averaging nearly 70% market-share per week of all high definition titles sold this year and, in the U.S., it is out-performing HD DVD by a margin of 115%. "Given that Blu-ray has consistently outsold HD DVD all year, and this is tthe case for any titles released by any studio in both formats, we believe that the time is right for us to accelerate our activities and help convert the nearly 60 million high definition households worldwide into Blu-ray households," noted Mike Dunn, President Worldwide, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. "By the end of this calendar year there will be expansive availability of technically vibrant releases featuring never-before-seen, advanced BD-J interactivity as well as a broad offering of playback devices at attractive prices that will prove to any doubting consumers once and for all that Blu-ray
is the only way."

"And as Blu-ray continues to grows stronger, it has become survival of the fittest which is most apparent in the retail landscape where our eager and growing global Blu-ray consumer base has caused a shift that is forcing the allocation of more space to the format that is selling the best. And, in many recent instances of note, top retailers in North America are choosing to promote the Blu-ray format exclusively in their stores," continued Dunn. Among the BD industry 'firsts' from the Studios' upcoming global release slate are picture in picture capability, enhanced viewing and surround sound modes with the ability to mix and match picture and sound, direct access to in-movie features through one of the four colored buttons on the BD remote and the most technically vibrant BD-Java interactive multi-player challenge and trivia games to date. The Studios' slate also takes full advantage of BD-Live functionality this fourth quarter. Internet-connected consumers will enjoy unique, title specific "web-enabled" interactive features and games and "web-exclusive" downloadable content with the ability to connect and interact with other broadband BD users worldwide.

Cementing its leadership position within the industry - previous BD releases NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM and X-MEN THE LAST STAND rank in the Top 20 best-sellers - the vast majority of the Studios' upcoming global slate will be presented on 50 GB dual-layer discs with advanced BD-J interactivity and feature numerous Blu-ray exclusive high-definition bonus materials that further realizes BD's incredible potential. Consumers will enjoy the superior video and audio elements of AVC encoding and Lossless HD audio on many of the coming titles as well as enhanced and integrated menus, personal scene selections, search indexing, trivia and other title specific games and high-definition bonus
materials.

Upcoming BD-J features exclusive to priority catalogue titles from Fox and MGM include an "Alien Scavenger Hunt" (INDEPENDENCE DAY) that challenges players to earn points by identifying the correct number of aliens in select scenes to unlock additional bonus features; a "Global Warming Trivia Track" (THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW) where users must correctly answer questions about global warming to keep the Earth's temperature from rising and being destroyed; and a historical and geographical pop-up map (MASTER & COMMANDER) that tracks the location of Captain "Lucky" Jack Aubrey and his enemies.
Listed below are the upcoming Blu-ray Disc releases from Fox and MGM excluding new theatrical day & date BD/DVD releases. EXACT TITLE CONFIGURATIONS TO FOLLOW IN THE COMING WEEKS.

TITLE N.A. RELEASE INTERNATIONAL RELEASE
MASTER & COMMANDER OCT. 2 OCT.
THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW OCT. 2 NOV.
FROM HELL OCT. 9 OCT.
THE FLY (1986) OCT. 9 Q1 08
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS OCT. 9 NOV.
28 DAYS LATER OCT. 9 North America Only
ROBOCOP (MGM) OCT. 9 DEC.
AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979) (MGM) OCT. 9 North America Only
BATTLE OF BRITAIN (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08
A BRIDGE TOO FAR (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08
I, ROBOT NOV. 13 Q1 08
DIE HARD NOV. NOV.
DIE HARD 2: DIE HARDER NOV NOV.
DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE NOV. NOV.
RED DAWN (MGM) NOV. Q1 08
MR. AND MRS. SMITH DEC. 4 DEC.
INDEPENDENCE DAY DEC. 4 DEC.
CAST AWAY DEC. 4 North America Only
RONIN (MGM) DEC. 4 DEC.

Blu-ray Disc is a next generation optical disc format developed for high-definition video and high-capacity software applications. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc holds up to 25 gigabytes of data and a dual-layer Blu-ray Disc holds up to 50 gigabytes of data. This greater storage capacity enables the Blu-ray Disc to store over six times the amount of content than is possible with current DVDs, and is particularly well-suited for high definition feature films with extended levels of additional bonus and interactive material. Blu-ray also features the most advanced copy protection, player backward compatibility with the current DVD format, connectivity and advanced interactivity. Fox takes advantage of the next generation format's high definition technology and advanced functionality to present its titles with the highest quality audiovisual elements. Showcasing picture quality with six times the resolution of DVD and theater quality "uncompressed" audio for the purest digital sound, the cutting-edge discs also feature enhanced and integrated menus, games, high-definition bonus materials and Java-encoding for more dynamic and sophisticated interactivity.

The Studio's commitment to emerging technologies is dedicated to enhancing the consumer experience of its products and providing for backward compatibility with their existing home entertainment libraries while also aggressively protecting its intellectual property from piracy. The Blu-ray companies fully embrace the Studio's steadfast commitment to the fight against piracy and the preservation of the integrity of its properties. Twentieth Century Fox is a member of the Board of Directors of the Blu- ray Disc Association. A recognized global industry leader, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC (TCFHE) is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming on VHS, DVD and Blu-ray Disc (BD) as well as acquisitions and original productions. The company also releases all products around the globe for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets -- from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce - throughout the world. Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC is a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company.

Source: Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
North America
Steve Feldstein/Callie Jernigan
310.369.5369 / 310.369.8370
or
International
Marla Rothschild/Stephanie Wenborn
310.369.5827 / 44.77.986.28695

yacobod said:
too all the bluray fans who champion a 1 format future

say like warner goes hd-dvd exclusive and another studio goes multiplatform say Fox, would you continue to wish a 1 format future (being hd dvd), and abandon blu?

God yes, in a heartbeat. And the players are cheaper (though my last Toshiba player was a serious lemon, at least others would start making them).

I'l; be chanting for the death of Blu just as soon as it looks more likely then the death of HD-DVD. Currently, Blu still has odds, although stalemate (worst outcome) is back a significant possibility.

LJ11

AlteredBeast said:
Man, you know, both formats look pretty even now with Universal/Paramount/Dreamworks exclusive to HD and Fox/Disney/Sony exclusive to Blu-Ray.

It kind of sucks that this will draw out the format wars further, but is great for me, since I have the HD-DVD add-on and I won't be getting a PS3 or investing in a BR player for several years (if ever).

and people kept telling me that Blu-Ray was going to steal all of HD-DVD's support. :p

You're no better off today than you were yesterday, you always had Paramount/Dreamworks movies. I guess from a format war perspective you're better off, because this ensures that HD-DVD won't be going anywhere any time soon.

NomarTyme

Nice lineup from Fox, I'm very interested in Die Hard 1-4 and Independence day.

Edit: Didn't see Cast away at first, but I'll add it to my interest list.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
LJ11 said:
You're no better off today than you were yesterday, you always had Paramount/Dreamworks movies. I guess from a format war perspective you're better off, because this ensures that HD-DVD won't be going anywhere any time soon.

That's true.

Those Fox releases look really good, too. I sre wouldn't mind seeing Ronin, 28 Days Later, or Cast Away on HD. :(

gkryhewy

Chemo said:
I know, I already responded and referenced to that comment multiple times, but is that not the funniest shit that's been said in this thread for months? :lol

Your likening scientific polling (assuming the '60% of PS3 owners' poll was scientific) to Amazon sales rankings is a close second.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
See guys, this WAS a good day for everyone. Fox got pressure to get back in the format wars, and mother effin Transformers is exclusive to HD DVD. Cheers all around. :lol

Chemo

gkrykewy said:
Your likening scientific polling (assuming the '60% of PS3 owners' poll was scientific) to Amazon sales rankings is a close second.
You don't even know if it's scientific polling or not (it's not -- this isn't some political race, it's PS3 MOVIE PLAYBACK), and you're saying my comment was a close second?! Get the fuck out of here.

Oni Jazar

VanMardigan said:
See guys, this WAS a good day for everyone. Fox got pressure to get back in the format wars, and mother effin Transformers is exclusive to HD DVD. Cheers all around. :lol

Sorry no. Fox was always going to announce blu-ray titles for the end of the year this was pretty much announced for months. The only thing Paramount's announcemnet did was force Fox's hand to release their news earlier.

jjasper

So they list 6 day and date with DVD but only show 2. I am guessing the others are The Simpsons, 28 Weeks later, Sunshine, and....... ?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Nice list from Fox there, especially Die Hard :D

But, I have to laugh a little at 28 Days Later in HD. The film was shot in SD with (albeit nice) miniDV cameras so I can't imagine it will look too great in HD...

Chemo said:

Indeed. I'd like to not see this thread devolve into the type of shit that goes down at AVS, and statements like that certainly aren't helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom