• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markom58

Neo Member
I really hope HD prices stabalize in the $19-$15 range. Just grabbed a bunch of the top 10's on Amazon. The first is the MSRP and the second, Amazon's price. $23-$28 range is too high (even more on brick and mortar stores, Best Buy for instance usually has titles from $29-$35). I know we have BOGOs and deals here and there but for that 1 purchase you would like without waiting for deals or what not and would just like to buy on the store, the price of an HD movie is too high.

What I am afraid is that we become used to these prices and they never come down =/

The Kingdom (Combo HD DVD and Standard DVD) [HD DVD] DVD ~ Jamie Foxx
$39.98 $27.95
The Bourne Ultimatum (Combo HD DVD and Standard DVD) [HD DVD] DVD ~ Matt Damon
$39.98 $26.95
Eastern Promises (Combo HD DVD and Standard DVD) [HD DVD] DVD ~ Viggo Mortensen
$39.98 $27.95
Transformers (Two-Disc Special Edition) [HD DVD] DVD ~ Shia LaBeouf
$39.99 $24.95
Ocean's Thirteen (Combo HD DVD and Standard DVD) [HD DVD] DVD ~ George Clooney
$39.99 $24.95
Top Gun [HD DVD] DVD ~ Tom Cruise
$29.99 $19.95
2001 - A Space Odyssey [HD DVD] DVD ~ Keir Dullea
$28.99 $19.95

Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End [Blu-ray] DVD ~ Johnny Depp
$34.99 $22.95
The Simpsons Movie [Blu-ray] DVD ~ Dan Castellaneta
$39.98 $27.95
300 [Blu-ray] DVD ~ Gerard Butler
$34.99 $23.95
Ratatouille [Blu-ray] DVD ~ Patton Oswalt
$34.99 $23.95
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix [Blu-ray] DVD ~ Daniel Radcliffe
$35.99 $24.95
The Fifth Element (Remastered) [Blu-ray] DVD ~ Bruce Willis
$28.95 $15.95

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Ignatz Mouse said:
I got Pan's Labyrinth at Best Buy today... if it's not too late, you might go check (or call).

I've been running around all day. I was actually in there awhile ago with my brother in law and I forgot to check. I guess I'll pick it up Wed. with 2 for 1 promotion. He insisted I go with him to help him pick out a hi def player. He was leaning toward blu ray and wanted to get the Sony BDP? 300 for $300 but I convinced him to spring for the PS triple instead. I thought about taking a cue from you for split second but I decided against it. No, I did not try to dissuade him from going blu ray. :lol Anyways you guys ( all of you ) have a Merry Chrismas.

gray_fox224

Picked up 3 titles from the sale

1. Pan's
2. Kingdom
3. Eastern P

From what I saw, both Kingdom and Eastern were selling really, really, well. I saw people just buying them in singles and not taking advantage of the B2G1.

My Best Buy didn't have it on display, but I got them to look up their website that showed Pan's Labyrinth as a 12/23 release. When they saw the date they went back to grab me a copy and also brought out the rest to put out on the floor.

So your BB has them, they just don't know the release date got bumped up.

To summarize 07 with the Nielson data that we have.

82vnytu.gif

Decado said:
Argh. Really want Paramount back. No Sweeney Tod or There Will Be Blood for me :(

Distributed by Warner internationally. So it's likely coming. I don't import so that changes nothing. Not a Tim Burton fan either, so..........

Decado said:
Argh. Really want Paramount back. No Sweeney Tod or There Will Be Blood for me :(

You should be able to import Sweeny Todd as it is going to be distributed by Warner in EU.

EDIT

Beaten while looking for confirmation.

racerx77

Banned
Hmmm.. BESTbuy eh?.......... Lost season 3 blu-ray 79.99 at moviestop... 119.99 at best buy.. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I know you can still find it cheaper online, but that difference is just silly!!

The Main Event said:
What the hell I was checking out for the $99 HD DVD player on Future Shop and when it came to payment it told me that it wasn't available anymore.

That site is bullshit! I've been trying to buy the Yamaha 6060 receiver for my bedroom and I can't even enter the %^$%^ checkout!!

DarkJediKnight said:
That site is bullshit! I've been trying to buy the Yamaha 6060 receiver for my bedroom and I can't even enter the %^$%^ checkout!!

The site is getting hammered pretty heavily. I ordered a couple of things at BestBuy.ca with success though.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
without getting into any fanboy BS,

Merry Xmas and welcome to the club to anyone who gets an HD goody under the tree. Hopefully we'll have some new people in this thread.

djkimothy

The Main Event said:
What the hell I was checking out for the $99 HD DVD player on Future Shop and when it came to payment it told me that it wasn't available anymore.

I've never had any problems with Futureshop's online store. But I hate that you have to confirm by phone your purchases. Such a hassle.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
StoOgE said:

Merry Xmas and welcome to the club to anyone who gets an HD goody under the tree. Hopefully we'll have some new people in this thread.

I got my first HD disc- Blade Runner. :D

B.K.

I got Blade Runner for Christmas. It's my first Blu-Ray movie. I wanted to get it on DVD, so I could still watch it when HD-DVD and Blu-Ray both fail, but I wanted the five disc set and it was just cheaper to get it on Blu-Ray. I hate the packaging though. The tabs holding the discs aren't strong enough. WHen I first opened it, every other disc was loose in the case. The fifth disc had a few scratches on it. I hope that doesn't affect it.

B.K. said:
I got Blade Runner for Christmas. It's my first Blu-Ray movie. I wanted to get it on DVD, so I could still watch it when HD-DVD and Blu-Ray both fail, but I wanted the five disc set and it was just cheaper to get it on Blu-Ray. I hate the packaging though. The tabs holding the discs aren't strong enough. WHen I first opened it, every other disc was loose in the case. The fifth disc had a few scratches on it. I hope that doesn't affect it.

That's not a good way to introduce yourself in this thread :lol

StoOgE said:

Yeah, Merry HD-Christmas everyone.

Barnolde

Banned
Will Universal movies ever be on Blu-ray? Dazed and Confused & Fear and Loathing are both on HD DVD, but after all this "war" nonsense is over, is there any chance they'd be released on BR?

Cousin's husband got the Bourne trilogy on HD DVD today, only the newest one was a combo disc, so I think he's probably going to return it or have to buy a player for them, but I'm not sure if that will happen.

Barnolde said:
Will Universal movies ever be on Blu-ray? Dazed and Confused & Fear and Loathing are both on HD DVD, but after all this "war" nonsense is over, is there any chance they'd be released on BR?

Cousin's husband got the Bourne trilogy on HD DVD today, only the newest one was a combo disc, so I think he's probably going to return it or have to buy a player for them, but I'm not sure if that will happen.

You'll have to wait and see how it pans out. Right now they are just as exclusive to HD DVD as Fox is to Blu ray.

Azrael

Looks like Warner has fucked up again. Everyone who canceled orders for DVDs, HD DVDs and Blu-rays from Warner's online store in the last few months are getting copies from UPS. I just got a copy of Blade Runner for Blu-ray that I canceled a few months ago. It's tempting me to open it since my copy from Amazon will not be arriving for a few more days. What the hell is going on over there?

StoOgE

Azrael said:
Looks like Warner has fucked up again. Everyone who canceled orders for DVDs, HD DVDs and Blu-rays from Warner's online store in the last few months are getting copies in the mail. I just got a copy of Blade Runner for Blu-ray that I canceled a few months ago. It's tempting me to open it since my copy from Amazon will not be arriving for a few more days. What the hell is going on over there?

worlds worst website confirmed? I wouldnt open that, my gut tells me they are going to wind up charging people as well or wanting them back.

Azrael said:
Looks like Warner has fucked up again. Everyone who canceled orders for DVDs, HD DVDs and Blu-rays from Warner's online store in the last few months are getting copies from UPS. I just got a copy of Blade Runner for Blu-ray that I canceled a few months ago. It's tempting me to open it since my copy from Amazon will not be arriving for a few more days. What the hell is going on over there?
I got one of those too. I checked my account again and it says "canceled" for the movie and my credit card hasn't been charged yet. We'll see, though. I'm not opening it until I'm positive it's "free".

Barnolde

Banned
user friendly said:
You'll have to wait and see how it pans out. Right now they are just as exclusive to HD DVD as Fox is to Blu ray.
Ok thanks. I don't have much hope of Universal going Blu, but *crosses fingers*

StoOgE

OokieSpookie said:
yeah , alot of people are pissed because they weren't expecting the charge

christmas surprise!

budget tight for the end of the year, how about another bill for an order you didnt want. Hey, WB needs money too. :lol

Maybe BRD association was going to buy out WB but thought the price was to high and canceled the deal at the last minute, and WB plans on going exclusive anyway and just charging Sony's bank account for 200 million?
Its a joke, please no one flip out

Nicodimas

Banned
I won't try to hide it. I don't like either format. I think DVD still has plenty of life left.

For me its the opposite I have something like 100 dvds + 40 shows and going back with the Reon(Toshiba XA-2) is very difficult as HD-dvd just anillates it.

The Main Event said:
72u4whu.png

71lqdl1.png

2nd HD DVD player get!

Check the model: HD-D3, not a regular model. Off models or cheaper models are typically brought in for boxing day. Similar to how alot of the models of televisions that are on sale are year or two old models.

I'm thinking about buying a stand alone HD-DVD player, and right now it's between the A30 and A35. Does anyone think the A35 is worth the extra money? When will we start seeing the advantage of Deep Color? I don't have surround sound for the big screen yet, but I do plan on getting the Onkyo SR605 in the future, if not something better. Also I'm pretty sure my TV (Mitsubishi WDY657) supports 24p and deep color (same as v.x color, right?).

SlaughterX said:
I'm thinking about buying a stand alone HD-DVD player, and right now it's between the A30 and A35. Does anyone think the A35 is worth the extra money? When will we start seeing the advantage of Deep Color? I don't have surround sound for the big screen yet, but I do plan on getting the Onkyo SR605 in the future, if not something better. Also I'm pretty sure my TV (Mitsubishi WDY657) supports 24p and deep color (same as v.x color, right?).

I had the A30 model. It was crap. Buggy and wouldn't read my Fearless disc no matter what firmware it was on. IMO, the 3rd gen models are pure shit! Stick with the 2nd gen if you can. Not only do they look better but have better quality parts in them.

I'm not willing to drop that much on a DVD player, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to spend $345 for one with 3 extra free movies...

SRG01

purnoman3000 said:
Check the model: HD-D3, not a regular model. Off models or cheaper models are typically brought in for boxing day. Similar to how alot of the models of televisions that are on sale are year or two old models.

This happens every year with Boxing Day. It's all old-ish merchandise that they want to get rid of.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Opened up the 2 A3s tonight with a bunch of movies. I got to watch a little planet earth before heading to work. I was really impressed the PQ was flat out awesome. I can't wait to watch transformers with the family tomarrow. I guess it is time to upgrade my reciever because my current setup does not do the format justice. Both of my hd-tvs are 720p so the A3 is perfect for me especially for the price. First impressions are very good so far.

I did finally pull out my old reliable DVD player manufactured sept 2000. Best money I ever spent the thing is a tank and never had any issues with any movies or DVD-Rs. I will give it to a friend who is need of an extra player.

I was a little iffy on the whole combo disc idea but now I kind of like it. I was able to take bourne with me to work to watch tonight which is damn sweet.

Now I just need the blu group to get me a sub 200 dollar 2.0 player and I can be purple. Once I get a blu player my setup will be complete.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
The HD-D3 is actually listed with the current generation and shares firmware with it.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=HD-D3

Comments at Amazon say it's the Costco rebranded version of the A3, probably one of those identical-internals players that is created to avoid price matches.

I think they're most likely refurbished models of the A3. Considering how shitty these 3rd gen players are, I wouldn't be surprised. If you get a good one, then congrats.

Me, I'll stick with my reliable 360 add-on. Yea, the audio sucks, but at least it works with everything.

Got a Toshiba EP30 and a bunch of HD-DVD discs :D

Bourne Supremacy
Bourne Ultimatum
The Hitcher
Transformers
Swordfish
Apollo 13
The Chronicles of Riddick
World Trade Centre
Children of Men
Troy

Smallville Season 6
Heroes

gkryhewy

DarkJediKnight said:
I think they're most likely refurbished models of the A3.

No, they're not refurbished - it's just an alternate model#, as someone else said. I've had no problems at all with my A3 - very happy with it.

Sylar

Banned
My mom accidentally got me Blade Runner on HDDVD and I was too lazy to return it so I figured i'd buy an HDDVD player. Anyone know where I can get one for sub $150 or anyone want to sell theirs? I'd like the 360 one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom