• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
haha, got another set of free movies from warner! 2001 and the shining both got here on Saturday! Just like with blade runner, my order had been canceled but I still got them. :)

Another BOGO, cool, I haven't ordered any movies from amazon while they had one going before, mainly due to the fact that I already own most of the movies on the list that I otherwise would order. That said, I might go for 28 Weeks later (have 28 days, absolute shit PQ) and maybe the Transporter, (the good one, the first one).

I never saw Shoot em Up, but have decided to blind buy it, of coarse not today, because my Future Shop didn't get it in... (ONCE AGAIN). However they do apparently have 'War'. Never saw this one either, anyone know if it's any good?

EDIT: Nice, I just saw this: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...hanges/Sony_Re-Announces_Gattaca_Blu-ray/1313
Been wondering for ages what ever happened to this one.

Snah

Banned
Black Deatha said:
Another BOGO, cool, I haven't ordered any movies from amazon while they had one going before, mainly due to the fact that I already own most of the movies on the list that I otherwise would order. That said, I might go for 28 Weeks later (have 28 days, absolute shit PQ) and maybe the Transporter, (the good one, the first one).

I never saw Shoot em Up, but have decided to blind buy it, of coarse not today, because my Future Shop didn't get it in... (ONCE AGAIN). However they do apparently have 'War'. Never saw this one either, anyone know if it's any good?

EDIT: Nice, I just saw this: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...hanges/Sony_Re-Announces_Gattaca_Blu-ray/1313
Been wondering for ages what ever happened to this one.

Badass.

Gattaca on Blu is a must have.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i actually haven't participated much in all these BOGO sales, but i just picked up the shining and full metal jacket from amazon. i've still got that 10% off hd movies discount, so it came out to $16 for both discs. nice.

edit: actually that's such a sweet deal that i feel like i should order more stuff. i've been trying not to accumulate movies that i'm only going to watch once, but goddamn

Azrael

Interesting development. Shoot Em Up is Warner/New Line's first encode optimized for Blu-ray -- that is, it maxes out above the 36 mbps limit of HD DVD. If Shoot Em Up is released on HD DVD, they'll have to re-encode it. This could indicate they have no plans to release the film on HD DVD. If they do release an HD DVD version later, we'll finally have a film released on both formats with optimized encodes to compare PQ on. Incidentally, an insider at blu-ray.com claims Warner will be optimizing future Blu-ray releases like Batman Begins (supposedly coming in May) as well.

Argyle

drohne said:
i actually haven't participated much in all these BOGO sales, but i just picked up the shining and full metal jacket from amazon. i've still got that 10% off hd movies discount, so it came out to $16 for both discs. nice.

edit: actually that's such a sweet deal that i feel like i should order more stuff. i've been trying not to accumulate movies that i'm only going to watch once, but goddamn

I just started to check out and the 10% discount has already gone dead on my account :(

Damn my nephew just spent over $90 on bluray at Amazon earlier tonight, if he had only waited a few hours he would have gotten more movies for the same money. Too late to cancel the order too since it's Shipping Soon.

Meier

The 10% is still active on my account for whatever reason. I pray it never goes away as it goes a long way in giving me the final push to buy the discs there.

What is this 10% discount and how do you get it? Does Amazon give it away with your first bluray purchase from them? I read elsewhere that it lasts 1 year from activation.

Azrael said:
Interesting development. Shoot Em Up is Warner/New Line's first encode optimized for Blu-ray -- that is, it maxes out above the 36 mbps limit of HD DVD. If Shoot Em Up is released on HD DVD, they'll have to re-encode it. This could indicate they have no plans to release the film on HD DVD. If they do release an HD DVD version later, we'll finally have a film released on both formats with optimized encodes to compare PQ on. Incidentally, an insider at blu-ray.com claims Warner will be optimizing future Blu-ray releases like Batman Begins (supposedly coming in May) as well.

God damnit, why does my Future Shop have to suck so much and not have it in today :( I was really looking forward to watching it.

thanks gaf. was gonna get the hd version but this is a whole lot cheaper. all i need now is the last movie and i got all 5 potters :)

this shits getting expensive tho

edit: just got potter 5 off amazon marketplace for 15 bucks

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Picked up Die Hard 1-3, Rescue Dawn, Unforgiven, and Goodfellas. Pretty nice BOGO :D

Naked Snake said:
What is this 10% discount and how do you get it? Does Amazon give it away with your first bluray purchase from them? I read elsewhere that it lasts 1 year from activation.

If you bought 3 Blurays/HD-DVDs in the same order back in 2006 you got a 10% discount on HD movies for 2007.

A couple pages back there was that article quoted talking about the format war, I mentioned the studios exclusive to HD DVD, and on the list was the Weinstein Company. I gotta ask, when the hell did this happen? I know they are of almost no relevance, but if I am not mistaken, they would be the key to us getting Kill Bill, and the Grindhouse movies.

I was wondering earlier today what bluray movie has the highest bitrate for video? Is it one of the Pirates of the Caribbean discs? I'm also wondering if we'll eventually have movies split on 2 BD50 discs allocating all space to the feature with no extras on the disc (ala LotR Extended Edition DVDs)... Or would that be truly overkill for VC-1 encodes? Don't the Pirates movies already use a full 50GB disc for the movie alone? Like "Superbit" DVD releases of old.

avaya

Black Deatha said:
A couple pages back there was that article quoted talking about the format war, I mentioned the studios exclusive to HD DVD, and on the list was the Weinstein Company. I gotta ask, when the hell did this happen? I know they are of almost no relevance, but if I am not mistaken, they would be the key to us getting Kill Bill, and the Grindhouse movies.

Disney has individual Kill Bill rights, Weinstein has the Whole Bloody Affair. Weinstein intially went HD-DVD as a two-fingered salute to Disney.

Andy787

Banned
Edward Scissorhands and Cast Away ordered. Awesome. Was going to get Rescue Dawn, but I'm already renting it right now anyway.

mackaveli

Naked Snake said:
I was wondering earlier today what bluray movie has the highest bitrate for video? Is it one of the Pirates of the Caribbean discs? I'm also wondering if we'll eventually have movies split on 2 BD50 discs allocating all space to the feature with no extras on the disc (ala LotR Extended Edition DVDs)... Or would that be truly overkill for VC-1 encodes? Don't the Pirates movies already use a full 50GB disc for the movie alone? Like "Superbit" DVD releases of old.

i dont know about 2 BD50 discs, but Alexander directors cut is 2 BD discs with half the movie on each disc. No idea how they split the movie or if it was 1 50 BD and 1 25BD or 2 BD25.

I have no idea, i have the movie but its still sealed. Maybe someone on here knows.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Naked Snake said:

I have Dead Man's Chest. The extras are on a separate Blu Ray disc, but are still in SD. :\

Off the top of my head, I know Transformers and Mission Impossible 3 (HD DVD) have a separate disc for special features. Blade Runner has one full disc for the Final Cut and ditto for the Workprint. The extras are on dvds.

Blu-Ray filled the top 5 on Amazon's best sellers.

So now both formats have done that, which shows how far HD disc media has come. Hopefully now it will be acknowledged, since that was pretty much ignored when the "other" format did it, as if the fact that its BOGO makes the achievement any less of an indicator as to the size of the HD disc market.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Sweet my 10% off is still working on amazon.Time to go nuts and broke.

oatmeal

Banned
WHAT THE FUDGE?

Where the hell is Shoot Em Up (BR) in Canada?

Went to HMV, Best Buy, Future Shop and Walmart and NOTHING. DVD version is in stock, and all the other BR titles (Resident Evil packs) were there, but NO SHOOT EM UP!!!!

Anyone else in Canada have it in?

oatmeal said:
WHAT THE FUDGE?

Where the hell is Shoot Em Up (BR) in Canada?

Went to HMV, Best Buy, Future Shop and Walmart and NOTHING. DVD version is in stock, and all the other BR titles (Resident Evil packs) were there, but NO SHOOT EM UP!!!!

Anyone else in Canada have it in?

Maybe because it's New Year and everything is closed and their shipping won't resume 'till the 3rd or something?

Azrael

Black Deatha said:

Weinstein shouldn't be counted as an HD DVD supporter at this point. They released a few movies like Clerks II early in 2007 but haven't released or announced anything for HD DVD for several months. At least when Fox/MGM stopped releasing movies on Blu-ray last year for a few months, we knew it was because they were waiting for BD+ to become available. In Weinstein's case, they just don't see enough money in high-def to release on either format, and they're not important enough for the HD DVD or Blu-ray camps to moneyhat.

michaeld

Banned
I found this on another board. I can't wait to see all the wadded panties and meltdowns on either side depending on what happens at the show:lol
Everything seems to indicate that Warner is going HD DVD exclusive:

- Warner to be present at the HD DVD CES conference
- HD DVD conference will last 2 hours, BDA only one
- CES Warner pages reference only HD DVD
- Warner is dumping all their Blu titles in the biggest BOGO ever
- Still no Batman, Matrix o other top Warner titles announced on BD
- Warner already signed exclusive deal with Microsoft for xbox Video Marketplace in Ireland
- Even with 2.7 million PS3, sales of Harry Potter are almost the same in both formats
- many insiders rumors suggest the switch is imminent or in discussion
http://www.dvdtown.com/news/ces-hd-dvd-and-blu-ray-press-events/5040With
The Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas just around the corner here are two important dates if you like HD.

On Sunday January 6, 2008, 8:30 PM in Las Vegas the HD DVD Promotion Group will invite the press to hear the latest news or as they write "Executives from the various companies supporting HD DVD will present the latest in HD DVD products, bonus features, interactivity and services." It will be a two hour event.

On Monday January 7, 2008, 5:00 PM in Las Vegas the Blu-ray Disc Association welcomes the press to hear the latest news or as they write "Press conference to announce latest Blu-ray products." It will be a one hour event.

We will of course bring you the news as it happens and no doubt a few surprises may occur.

Snah

Banned
michaeld said:
I found this on another board. I can't wait to see all the wadded panties and meltdowns on either side depending on what happens at the show:lol

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/ces-hd-dvd-and-blu-ray-press-events/5040With

Everything seems to indicate that Warner is going HD DVD exclusive:

- Warner to be present at the HD DVD CES conference
- HD DVD conference will last 2 hours, BDA only one
- CES Warner pages reference only HD DVD
- Warner is dumping all their Blu titles in the biggest BOGO ever
- Still no Batman, Matrix o other top Warner titles announced on BD
- Warner already signed exclusive deal with Microsoft for xbox Video Marketplace in Ireland
- Even with 2.7 million PS3, sales of Harry Potter are almost the same in both formats
- many insiders rumors suggest the switch is imminent or in discussion

This is the stupidest speculation I've ever heard.

Warner had their biggest BOGO ever on HD-DVD just a week ago...it was essentially the same. And they are attending the BDA conference...hour difference? Who cares? And, if Batman and Matrix were to be announced for Blu-Ray in 08, wouldnt CES be the likely venue?

Wow. That is a huge leap of faith for HD-DVD fanatics.

gkryhewy

theBishop said:

A++++ great reply would read again

Nice that the Amazon top 5 is meaningful again. That BOGO selection is great!

Snah said:
Warner had their biggest BOGO ever on HD-DVD just a week ago...it was essentially the same.

Well, that was pretty much just HP I think, whereas this BRD sale has the Kubricks and a bunch of others, but I agree with you anyway. I really don't think anything huge is happening at CES.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Warner goes HD-DVD only, this war just got stupid. Warner goes BR only, it's another step closer to ending than it would be the other way around. Warner stays neutral...well, the war would still be stupid, just not AS stupid.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
If Warner goes Blu-Ray exclusive then HD-DVD is dead and I buy a PS3. If Warner goes HD-DVD exclusive then Blu-Ray is dead and no PS3 for me.

careful

Damn, some good stuff in that Amazon BOGO BR.
I picked up Galapagos & Relentless Enemies.
Also grabbed Planet Earth now @ $67.
Take my monies Amazon.

lupin23rd

Picked up Kingdom of Heaven and Mr. & Mrs. Smith in the BOGO (maybe I should have gone for Warner titles - was 2001 there? I didn't see that or Eyes Wide Shut but the other Kubricks were there).

One thing about Warner (have we had enough yet?) - if they go HDDVD exclusive along with New Line, does this mean that HD fans in general would get fucked over because of how New Line is handling new releases?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
bishoptl said:
Just bought a shitload of Blu-Rays I probably shouldn't have :D

I did the same thing.. $8.88 a movie though.. just wow!
But what made me order, was the fact that it was a decent selection of movies for once.

Naked Snake said:

Deja Vu. I think that one hits 48mbps at one point. It is consistently 30mbps plus. This movie looks stunning. Very sharp. Too bad, the movie is just average.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
gkrykewy said:
A++++ great reply would read again

Well, that was pretty much just HP I think, whereas this BRD sale has the Kubricks and a bunch of others

That "speculation" is the biggest stretch I've seen in awhile.

And there's only two Kubricks in this BOGO, not all 5.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
WTF is the Wiz? I've already lost and rebought CB4 3 times over the years, and YES I will probably pick it up again on Blu Ray. Up yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom