• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bishoptl said:
WTF is the Wiz? I've already lost and rebought CB4 3 times over the years, and YES I will probably pick it up again on Blu Ray. Up yours!

:O

GTFO!

(crickabre!)
Turn in your melanin and ghetto pass, you're no longer allowed to be black peoples. :mad:

NR1

It’s a shame this Blu-ray BOGO sale at Amazon didn't come a week earlier. I got the Harry Potter films on HD-DVD from Amazon's other BOGO sale... :lol Oh well, even though I would rather have all them on Blu, I am very happy that I at least have them all on one format, rather than them split across the two (I got the 5th one on HD-DVD too).

As for the rest, I got the Die Hards and Rescue Dawn as part of a BOGO on Amazon right before Christmas and own several of the others featured. Shame to pass up a sale like this...

Snah

Banned
NR1 said:
It’s a shame this Blu-ray BOGO sale at Amazon didn't come a week earlier. I got the Harry Potter films on HD-DVD from Amazon's other BOGO sale... :lol Oh well, even though I would rather have all them on Blu, I am very happy that I at least have them all on one format, rather than them split across the two (I got the 5th one on HD-DVD too).

As for the rest, I got the Die Hards and Rescue Dawn as part of a BOGO on Amazon right before Christmas and own several of the others featured. Shame to pass up a sale like this...

You can still return the ones on HD-DVD and pick up the ones on Blu-Ray. No biggie if you really would prefer them on Blu.

OatmealMu

So, uh, how often do these BOGO deals happen? Waiting for me 80GB PS3 and suddenly I give a damn about this thread. :p Anyway, is there some sort of... uh, notifier for these deals or do I have to track this thread?

Snah

Banned
The Main Event said:
It would make you happy for sure :lol

And you sad. :lol

ALPHAMALE_GAF.jpg

OatmealMu said:
So, uh, how often do these BOGO deals happen? Waiting for me 80GB PS3 and suddenly I give a damn about this thread. :p Anyway, is there some sort of... uh, notifier for these deals or do I have to track this thread?

They're really random. They're probably just here for the holiday season (I think this is like the 3rd one they've had since October...which was the first). I really don't expect anymore of these for quite some time.

That's why I load up on Blu-Rays whenever these deals come out.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Too bad you can't mix up the BOGO with titles from both formats. Children of Men plus Castaway for $27.95 would've been sweet. I tried. :(

They're probably just here for the holiday season.

uhh, BD BOGOs have been pretty consistent since mid October.

Snah

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Too bad you can't mix up the BOGO with titles from both formats. Children of Men plus Castaway for $27.95 would've been sweet. I tried. :(

uhh, BD BOGOs have been pretty consistent since mid October.

Err...which is what I consider to be the start of the holiday season.

oatmeal

Banned
The Main Event said:
Maybe because it's New Year and everything is closed and their shipping won't resume 'till the 3rd or something?

No, because they had the regular DVD and the Resident Evil titles in stock.

It's just Shoot Em Up, the dude at the counter at Best Buy said they SHOULD have it, but had none in their system, none were in transit and none ordered...so WHAT THE FUCK.

Ptaaty

Guys get the Dave Mattews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Blu Ray. Holy crap is this amazing.

Awesome PQ, one of the best AQ ever for a concert, or any release (TrueHD 96/24 5.1) and it is a magical performance.

Nice and tight, none of the random drawn out band jam sessions...two acoustic guitars. Brilliant.

Ptaaty said:
Guys get the Dave Mattews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Blu Ray. Holy crap is this amazing.

Awesome PQ, one of the best AQ ever for a concert, or any release (TrueHD 96/24 5.1) and it is a magical performance.

Nice and tight, none of the random drawn out band jam sessions...two acoustic guitars. Brilliant.
That's something HD DVD could NEVER EVER EVER EVER do.

The Take Out Bandit said:
"Look And Sound Of Perfect"
Looks like they fudged the sound part. :lol :D :lol
It's not only that, but it's the fact that quite a small percentage of HD DVDs have lossless audio compared to a high percentage of BDs. Paramount also LOVES to put TrueHD tracks on movies that don't deserve it (A Mighty Heart, The Heartbreak Kid) and then leave TrueHD tracks off of the titles that SCREAM for it (Transformers, Stardust). It's ridiculous.

Ptaaty said:

I need to upgrade my sound system before I can take advantage of "HD audio" :(

Chittagong

Gold Member
Two HD basics questions:

1. What is the actual resolution of movie content in the wider original aspect ratios where HD movies seem to be presented in - is a third or nearly half of the 1080 vertical resolution used for black pixels?

2. I've understood that HD-DVD = no region coding enforced and Blu-Ray = region coding enforced. Is this the case?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Chittagong said:
2. I've understood that HD-DVD = no region coding enforced and Blu-Ray = region coding enforced. Is this the case?

No region coding for HD DVD, and I think its not always enforced on Blu Ray.

Forsete

Regarding CES.. Was this posted?

http://www.variety.com/VR1117977725.html

Blu-ray backers are bullish about the coming year, crowing about fourth-quarter sales in their format. Execs say they should have a better idea about high-def after the Consumer Electronics Show in early January, when homevid execs confer with their manufacturing brethren. Should Warner drop HD DVD then, sibling New Line is expected to follow suit, further tipping the scale toward Blu-ray.

Paramount, the last studio to drop dual-format support, is committed to HD DVD through the coming year; Universal also supports HD DVD only.

“The table is probably set for high-def in 2008,” says Dunn. “I think by CES it will be pretty clear there will be one format.”

Interesting bullish comment from Mike Dunn (president of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment).

Tied to this, perhaps? :)

http://www.businessweek.com/magazin...p+news_top+news+index_businessweek+exclusives

Plus this year, the Sony team has sold more than twice as many discs. "The rumor is that Warner is coming aboard soon," says Michael Burns, vice-chairman of studio Lionsgate (LGF), which makes its movies available on the Sony-backed format. "That will make it awfully tough for HD DVD to stay in this game." (Sony declined to comment, and Toshiba only would say it is "in regular contact with the studios.")

Forsete

Chittagong said:

Its up to the studios on Blu-Ray. FOX likes to region lock, Sony Pictures usually does not region lock, Disney region codes new titles but old remain unlocked. IIRC all Warner titles are not region locked.

avaya

michaeld said:
I found this on another board. I can't wait to see all the wadded panties and meltdowns on either side depending on what happens at the show:lol

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/ces-hd-dvd-and-blu-ray-press-events/5040With

Opposing Blu-ray points if you want them.

Steve Nickerson, head of WHV stepped down (removed)
-Nickerson was forced to go neutral by Richard Parsons CEO of Time-Warner after Jeff Bewkes thought that Blu-ray had a better chance at becoming the format.
-Nickerson worked with Toshiba closely on DVD, made "gentelman's agreement" with HD-DVD PRG on Batman Begins, Matrix, Constantine and other "exclusives" according to BD Insiders Penton-Man and Maxpower.
-Nickerson promoted TotalHD.

Everything listed above probably culminated in his removal.

Sales
52-0.

Jeff Bewkes to become Time-Warner CEO Today
Well....not counting any chickens (after all Katzenberg was bought off to the disgust of Spielberg)

Sales
52-0

Michael Burns VP Lionsgate Hints at Warner
Confirmed by multiple insider sources. Penton-Man suggests Warner has been courted for a very long time by the BDA.

Sales
52-0

Conference length
It takes longer for a HD-DVD conference because they have to explain the intricate forumla they use which will somehow show that they have outsold Blu-ray. In this dimension. In this planet over. This past Earth year. Mr Kornblau of Universal Home Video will present.

Caveat: We don't know shit. No one knows what's going to happen, except for Time-Warner themselves.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
forsete, yeah, that's pretty old.

We should do a pre-CES vote to see how we each feel about Warner at CES.

My take: Warner makes no exclusivity announcements.

VanMardigan said:
My take: Warner makes no exclusivity announcements.

Well if what Warner says is true (they were waiting to see the hardware sales over the holiday period) they are more likely to switch to HD-DVD. With that said, I think they will remain neutral.

avaya said:
Conference length
It takes longer for a HD-DVD conference because they have to explain the intricate forumla they use which will somehow show that they have outsold Blu-ray. In this dimension. In this planet over. This past Earth year. Mr Kornblau of Universal Home Video will present.

:lol :lol :lol :lol You took the words right out of my mouth.. I actually posted something to that same effect over at HDD.

The spin/damage control that will take place in that conference is destined to be epic.

My vote however: Warner doesn't pick a side at CES. They'll do some surprise thing around Feb ala Paramount.

Speaking of Paramount, the HD DVD PRG has them by the balls and thus I am expecting some big ticket catalog titles to be announced, like Chinatown and The Godfather Trilogy. No Indy though because of the Spielberg clause :lol .

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Warner announces Batman Begins and The Matrix for BD at CES. Nebulous mid 2008 release dates for both. No other announcement forthcoming.

Forsete

polyh3dron said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol You took the words right out of my mouth.. I actually posted something to that same effect over at HDD.

The spin/damage control that will take place in that conference is destined to be epic.

My vote however: Warner doesn't pick a side at CES. They'll do some surprise thing around Feb ala Paramount.

Here we have.. ahh, the unit sales. As you can see HD-DVD is far suprior (not counting the most popular BD player, of course)

Here is the attatch rate, HD DVD clearly superior! (counting the most popular BD player)

HD DVD is clearly a force to be reckoned with!

All in good fun.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
my vote, no they won't. I'm siding with The Digital Bits and saying that Warner WILL announce exclusivity likely in Q1, but not at CES. The only thing I think will be possible at CES is that you might get a clearer picture of which way they are going. However, it is MORE likely that you won't get any clearer indication at CES. Anything they announce for the eventually dropped format will just be canceled when they do make the announcement.

as for which way they'll go, my guess is it depends on who ponies up the bigger bucks. However if that decision has already been made, it's not looking good for BRD IMHO. I agree that all of the Warner BRD BOGOs could be a very good sign of what's coming, not to mention all of the HD-DVD exclusives they STILL have with no BRD announcements for any of them.

edit - Although I am frankly still a believer that it doesn't matter to have two formats, as long as we soon get affordable HDi/1.1 players on the market. I mean if you think about it, all of the video and audio decoders between the two formats are almost identical.. all you really need to double up on is the disc reading logic and the format decryption and the rest is just butter. Sure early adopters with single format machines will be screwed by this, but as an early HDTV adopter with no 720p or digital video input, allow me to play the world's smallest violin for those folks.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz Mouse said:
For the sake of being contrary, I'll guess that they do announce (although I think evidence is slightly against it).

Yes, but to WHICH side? C'mon, the suspense is killing me. :p

You too, forsete, list the side if you think they'll announce exclusivity.

bill0527

Warner probably won't announce any exclusivity deals while having to spend several days at conferences sitting at the same table as the side they're going to drop.

Executives are sneaky little bastards who for the most part, don't have a pair of balls, so you can expect Warner to make the announcement from the comfy confines of their own PR department sometime after CES is over.

Forsete

VanMardigan said:
Yes, but to WHICH side? C'mon, the suspense is killing me. :p

You too, forsete, list the side if you think they'll announce exclusivity.

Blu-Ray.. It has the most credible rumours backing it.

Ditto, I think they'll side with Blu-ray when they eventaully announce, and it might as well be at CES.

I guess, at an unconscious level, I didn't even think it was a question of which side they'd pick.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
bill0527 said:
Warner probably won't announce any exclusivity deals while having to spend several days at conferences sitting at the same table as the side they're going to drop.

Executives are sneaky little bastards who for the most part, don't have a pair of balls, so you can expect Warner to make the announcement from the comfy confines of their own PR department sometime after CES is over.

this is a very good point. Why announce it at CES where you get the press hounding you for the next 4-5 days when you can wait announce it without press everywhere.

Although, they are going to get hounded anyway about the rumors... and if money was involved (likely) the person paying may want some bang for their buck.

Kastro

Banned
I see no logic in Warner not going BLU if they are to pick a side. They could end the war. Going HD is just going to prolong it even more.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kastro said:
I see no logic in Warner not going BLU if they are to pick a side. They could end the war. Going HD is just going to prolong it even more.

it wasn't exactly logical for Paramount to go HDDVD exclusive, but they did. I suppose they considered millions of dollars in incentives as logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom