• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flek said:
tron1.gif

:D

nerbo

Well played by Sony. I truly didn't think Warner would pick a side, even for a moneyhat. I'm sad to be a bit burned by going format neutral, but I can't complain knowing full well what I was getting into being impatient. More so though, I am glad it's finally coming to and end and hope the shelves fill up much more rapidly with library releases.

I expect Paramount will mostly just sit it out and release little to nothing until the contract with Toshiba expires. Should be interesting to see how long it takes Universal to cave on this one. I suspect Universal will be stubborn until the bitter end and keep HD DVD breathing on life support until retail forces their hand in clearing out HD DVD inventory. I hope that's not how it goes down and they just go Blu gracefully at CES, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I'm sure with this news retailers will want to be fully rid of HD DVD in the not so far future to avoid shelf confusion.

I've been "purple" for a while now, basically buying whatever's the better deal at the time between HD DVD and Blu (mostly BOGOs) in respect to Warner. I'm in about 10 HD-DVD's deep, so I guess I'll be holding onto my HD DVD player until either it breaks or I slowly replace those discs with BD's when I see them cheap enough. Guess I'll keep an eye out for any HD DVD players at retail being blown out at ultra-clearance price for a spare in case mine breaks before I transition completely. :lol

Walshicus

avaya said:
There is literally no way in hell you haven't owned a product or device that used Sony's technology at some point in your life.
I think my brother gave me an old hand-me-down Sony alarm clock from what must have been the early 90s. I probably do have some other pieces of technology in the house that Sony or some subsidiary built or partially designed... but that's an oversight on account of not really caring to the point of zealotry. The point is that BD is Sony's baby and I don't really want to spend money on it. If that means downloading 720p encodes of films to match my 720p screen then whatever. The small degredation in end-point quality isn't enough for me to spend £300 and more replacing my HD-DVD collection with a blu-ray player and the discs to go with it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
DarienA said:
HD-DVD's will continue til end of May '08, then Warner goes DVD/BD only.

But there's a short release window where Blu/DVD are on shelves first, if I'm reading it correctly.

f@luS

More than a member.
Xeke said:
Okay, maybe roll off the tongue wasn't the best way to phrase it but it just follows the same system as before.

"Now on VHS"
"Now on CD"
"Now on DVD"
"Now on HD-DVD"
"Now on Blu-ray"

Which is the odd one out.

Only one thing is odd, Blu Ray Doesnt exist. Its Blu ray Disc , and its the same as saying High Definition Digital Video Disc.

Or you can go with BD/BRD

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I love that the subtext of this thread is currently about Sir Fragula's weird Anti-Sony fetish. Give the guy a break, at least he's straight about his underlying motivations, which is more than you can say for a lot of posters at GAF.

djkimothy

Xeke said:
Okay, maybe roll off the tongue wasn't the best way to phrase it but it just follows the same system as before.

"Now on VHS"
"Now on CD"
"Now on DVD"
"Now on HD-DVD"
"Now on Blu-ray"

Which is the odd one out.

Cause it has too many syllables.

Xeke

Banned
Truespeed said:
Come on. He just found out that the $99 HD-DVD player he's trying to resell for a significant markup isn't worth as much anymore. Let the man grieve.

Nah. I'll still be using my $30 DVD player for the foreseeable future.:lol

I'm poor.

:(

Chiggs

Gold Member
michaeld said:
And I recall MS saying they would leave the option open for a BR addon for the 360.

Microsoft should take this whole thing in stride and announce that at CES. That would be pretty cool.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
lol... i got through one page when the news first broke and a little bit later this thing went like 6 pages... love it

I have the 360 add on and will be picking up a ps3....

set to go

I also think that the announcement will be 360s with BLUray inside... LOL only if

Truespeed

Sir Fragula said:
I think my brother gave me an old hand-me-down Sony alarm clock from what must have been the early 90s. I probably do have some other pieces of technology in the house that Sony or some subsidiary built or partially designed... but that's an oversight on account of not really caring to the point of zealotry. The point is that BD is Sony's baby and I don't really want to spend money on it. If that means downloading 720p encodes of films to match my 720p screen then whatever. The small degredation in end-point quality isn't enough for me to spend £300 and more replacing my HD-DVD collection with a blu-ray player and the discs to go with it.

The amusing part is that your logic is infringing on so many Sony patents. Regardless of whether you buy Sony products or not, you're still paying them in one variety or another so just accept it. By the way, Blu-ray is governed by the BDA. It's not controlled by Sony. Sony is just a member of the board. Now, I know this revelation may be a set back for your inherent hatred for Sony, but it's just the way it is. Have a look at the members of the BDA next time and try to spread your hate equally between all the members.

acabado

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
I can't wait to see what Warner has to say during their scheduled HD DVD conference talk. :D

I don't know about Warner,but I'm pretty sure that Toshiba will announce BD player production.

sinnergy

I just got the HD-DVD addon :lol Like last saterday :lol

O well I also got a PS3 :lol

I need lot's of :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol I wrote this all with tears in my eyes

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I wonder how Retailers will react?
Should be an interesting :)

Paramount sure looks a bit stupid right about now...
Sure, they made $150 million.
It would hurt them a lot more if people bought movies by studio.

Walshicus

kaching said:
I love that the subtext of this thread is currently about Sir Fragula's weird Anti-Sony fetish. Give the guy a break, at least he's straight about his underlying motivations, which is more than you can say for a lot of posters at GAF.

If it's a fetish for a man to defecate onto an abstract representation of the Sony corporation clad in a HD-DVD-red rubber pope-suit while his girlfriend uses VHS tape to perform autoerotic asphyxiation... then I guess anything is these days.

But yeah, I make it a point to never hide my bias.

michaeld

Banned
http://kotaku.com/gaming/blu_ray/360-may-support-blu+ray-one-day-246616.php?cpage=2
In a recent interview with the BBC, Xbox UK head Neil Thompson said that Microsoft is open to the possibility of eventually supporting the Blu-ray player on the Xbox 360.

"Whatever format wins it is highly likely we will offer a solution. The only debate is if you want to watch Blu-ray movies and pay the extra money for that feature. We prefer to offer the consumer choice."

The interview comes in the wake of news that the Blu-ray is outselling the HD-DVD format by more than 2-to-1. Brian Crecente

gigapower

Suikoguy said:
There have been rumblings for a while that at least one retailer was going to announce an exclusive deal with at least one format.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Awesome news, and great thing I recently started to focus my purchases instinctively on Blu-Ray - now I have only a lone HD-DVD player, Heroes and Brokeback Mountain to get rid of. Didn't see this war coming to an end so fast, however. Gates keynote announcement cancelled then?

Truespeed

Suikoguy said:

Paramount sure looks a bit stupid right about now...
Sure, they made $150 million.
It would hurt them a lot more if people bought movies by studio.

They didn't exactly sign a contract crafted by lawyers that graduated from Oral Roberts University. There are always clauses to nullify relationships built into every contract.

El-Suave

As a European fond of importing format neutral HD media this probably means Warner titles won't be codefree on Blu Ray anymore in the future. That's not good at all!

On the other hand my US 60GB PS3 gets more valuable with each of these announcements. My precious!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Guys, would this be more fun if Stooge, Kolgar, Main, and I went into a blind rage and posted pictures of us ripping a Ps3 to pieces whilst threatening to never buy a Warner Brothers movie ever again? Cause this is tame compared to what I'm seeing at AVS and HDD, and I'm thinking that the limiting factor is that, outside of fragula, the red team just isn't doing enough ranting and raving.

Truespeed

VanMardigan said:
Guys, would this be more fun if Stooge, Kolgar, Main, and I went into a blind rage and posted pictures of us ripping a Ps3 to pieces whilst threatening to never buy a Warner Brothers movie ever again? Cause this is tame compared to what I'm seeing at AVS and HDD, and I'm thinking that the limiting factor is that, outside of fragula, the red team just isn't doing enough ranting and raving.

I'd contribute Paypal funds to see that happen. I'm a sucker for entertainment that involves the destruction of electronics (especially when they're plugged in).

Walshicus

VanMardigan said:
Aren't rants supposed to be vitriolic? I thought I'd been rather calm.

EDIT: Hmm, got a tag from it so maybe it was a bit silly to mention my thinking.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
VanMardigan said:

its really not a big deal to me... 800 bucks (maybe less now) for that sammy player is all im out. i see no reason to sell my existing collection. heck, ill even hit up the inevitable firesales.

VanMardigan said:
...the red team just isn't doing enough ranting and raving.

I'm not happy, but what can we do? There had to be one format.

I'm really interested to see what Microsoft have to say at CES, if they announce an external Blu-Ray drive I'll be astonished.

Riddick

I'm glad this stupid format war has finally come to an end. Bluray can finally become mainstream and if the prices are right I can start buying a couple of movies I like.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
xS1TH L0RDx said:
I've been sitting here for the last hour trying to think of a good reason NOT to go cash-trade my warner reds.

I'm sitting here figuring out the best way for me to unload those as well. Fortunately, I don't have a ton of Warner HD DVD's. Happy Feet and 16 Blocks are already available on Blu, so I'd like to sell those first. Matrix and Batman Begins I might as well wait until I know their release date on Blu (which will be announced in a few days). 300 I think I'll hold on to until Warner re-releases it on Blu with the HD DVD stuff. That's it. Plus I have Planet Earth which is also available on Blu. I'll definitely look to switch that into Blu.

VanMardigan said:
Agreed.. Guess you've got a fitting tag :D.

I would go even further and say that I am greatly disappointed in the lack of meltdowns at HDD. Although the site is a little hard to manage with the increased traffic and all.

I can't wait to see high bitrate AVC-encoded 24-bit TrueHD or PCM audio WB discs that use the whole 50GB on the disc... This is awesome fucking wowsome.

sakuragi

Banned
VanMardigan said:

How do we know that you are not just acting calm but having a nuclear reaction meltdown inside? Joke aside, yes, it would have been more fun to see some chaos :lol .

neptunes

I hope they can produce some cheap standalone Blu-ray players now. (i.e. $100-$150 cheap)

I can't see myself buying one unless it's in that price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom