• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill0527

captive said:
I thought it was hilarious myself.

It IS hilarious.

Up until around 2pm yesterday, HD-DVD fanboys were all about how they were gonna win the war.

Now all you hear from them is that High-Def Media is a niche product and digital downloads are going to win now that they've lost.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
sorry if this is old

New Line Shifts to Blu-ray Exclusivity

Following Warner's lead, sister company New Line has confirmed that it will support Blu-ray Disc high def releases exclusively. New Line has previously delayed their day-and-date new releases on HD DVD due to the format's lack of region coding, effectively making titles such as Shoot 'em Up, Hairspray, and Rush Hour 3 exclusive to Blu-ray. Although a 2008 release slate for the studio has not been released, an announcement may be possible at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

that it ...it's over

Flo_Evans

Onix said:
I've really NEVER understood this.

Yes, Sony is a corporation ... and has done some shitty things ...

However, they are likely the single company with the most number of advances in A/V electronics in the world ... and this happens because they constantly reinvest money into R&D.

While its one thing to not be fond of them, if your hobby is A/V ... it really makes no sense to hate them.

Yeah it makes no sense. They don't make the best stuff but it is far from the worst. Any company as old as sony has put out some turds and done stupid shit. But I don't avoid MS products because windows ME (and vista :lol ) sucked donkey balls.

So how long do you think it will now be before HD-DVD is completely dead? And by that I mean no more hardware or software being manufactured/on shelves.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Hard media will reign supreme as long as capitalism exists. I mean it. Until the content consumers become the providers (steal this movie type shit) then there will ALWAYS be hard media.

Kolgar

Gary Whitta said:
So how long do you think it will now be before HD-DVD is completely dead? And by that I mean no more hardware or software being manufactured/on shelves.

My feeling is it will happen pretty fast.

Retail is all over this right now. The guys at BB seem pretty aware, anyway. And I imagine it'd be pretty hard to recommend an HD DVD player to anyone about now. So I think retailers will bail out of the red discs and players almost immediately, and that'll be that.

[edit: Also, we'll start seeing more and more "caveat emptor" warnings against HD DVD in the press and in tech guides (like this one: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-6462511-1.html ), so I can't imagine HD DVD lasting for long.]

I've also read some interesting rumors to the effect that MS may be about to close out the HD DVD add-on, that Paramount may be freed of its exclusivity contract, and that Toshiba may halt production of its players within the fairly immediate future.

There's a lot of heresay and speculation at this point, but my feeling is it will happen pretty fast.

Edit: Unless Toshiba turns around and announces a low-cost dual-format player, and moneyhats Universal and Paramount some more, lol. Gah, who knows. One thing's for sure, I'm still glad to own both red and blue discs and players... I'm still ready for anything, lol.

You know what just occurred to me.....

Fuck the hype, fuck the war, fuck the politics of all of this.....

The only savior.... and I truly mean the ONLY savior to HD DVD is..... LucasFilm.

If Star Wars.... is ONLY released on HD DVD, then truly the war will tipped back in HD DVD's favor of which Blu-Ray can't stop the inevitable.

That said, if they go with Blu-Ray, I'll eat the last bite of crow and request a tag change.

VanMardigan said:
What the hell at the title change. I couldn't find the thread and was worried it was locked or something. :lol
you can subscribe to threads so that when you click "User CP" all of the active threads you're subscribed to are in one neat list. Either go to thread tools or you can make it so that you subscribe to every thread you post in - useful for when you make a post and you want to see if anyone replies to it.

VictimOfGrief said:

The only savior.... and I truly mean the ONLY savior to HD DVD is..... LucasFilm.

If Star Wars.... is ONLY released on HD DVD, then truly the war will tipped back in HD DVD's favor of which Blu-Ray can't stop the inevitable.

That said, if they go with Blu-Ray, I'll eat the last bite of crow and request a tag change.

There are no words....

pel1300

VictimOfGrief said:

And why the hell would LucasFilm do that? They made it clear that they won't take a side until a clear winner is decided.

The format war is over. GET OVER IT.

That's great... now the only question that remains is...

why the **** would they choose HD-DVD over Blu-ray?

pel1300 said:
And why the hell would LucasFilm do that?

The format war is over. GET OVER IT.
Because George Lucas is a fucking GOD. If he wanted to create his own format past Blu-Ray he probably could. I'm not saying he will, but it would be interesting if they did.

djkimothy

VictimOfGrief said:

on thin ice VictimOfGrief
Forever Dumb
(Today, 03:28 PM)
Reply | Quote

Your tag suits you just fine... :lol

haunts

Bacon of Hope
VictimOfGrief said:

there is no new hope buddy.

Ponn

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:

Someone post those Star Wars Blu-ray disc pics quick.

Chiggs

Gold Member
VictimOfGrief said:
Because George Lucas is a fucking GOD. If he wanted to create his own format past Blu-Ray he probably could. I'm not saying he will, but it would be interesting if they did.

Hmmm...George Lucas vs. a Matsushita coalition. Yeah, that'd be real hard to call.

Ponn

Banned
Chiggs said:
Hmmm...George Lucas vs. a Matsushita coalition. Yeah, that'd be real hard to call.

But Lucas loves his fans. I'm sure if they got an email campaign going for Star Was on HDDVD he would go for it. Someone send that idea to the HDDVDcampaign guy.

VictimOfGrief said:

He hasn't made billions by being an idiot. Great director he isn't, but neither is he "forever dumb".

I'm thinking about just saying "fuck it" and getting rid of my paramount & uni reds AND my 360 add-on and just picking up some blu shit.

I might as well while the trade in value is decent.

Edit: did anyone ever find out Michael Bay's response to this news? :lol

B-Ri

xS1TH L0RDx said:
I'm thinking about just saying "fuck it" and getting rid of my paramount & uni reds AND my 360 add-on and just picking up some blu shit.

I might as well while the trade in value is decent.

something about him being such an awesome psychic on the whole situation, and that transformers on blu asap blv.

Xisiqomelir

xS1TH L0RDx said:

Posted several times:

Well another studio down. Maybe I was right? Blu ray is just better. HD will die a slow death. It's what I predicted a year ago. Now with Warner's down for the count with Blu Ray. That makes it easier for Wal-Mart to push Blu Ray. And whatever Wal-Mart pushes - wins. Hd better start giving out those $120 million dollars checks to stay alive. Maybe they can give me some so I can give it to my Make-A-Wish charity, just to shut me up. Have faith people Transformers will come out in Blu-ray one day! ;)

Bay

Ponn01 said:
But Lucas loves his fans. I'm sure if they got an email campaign going for Star Was on HDDVD he would go for it. Someone send that idea to the HDDVDcampaign guy.

You are assuming the Paramedics got to his house in time to cut him down from his rafters, I guess...

Stinkles said:
A lot of that hate stems from Sony's jacked-up pricing of unremarkable tech. You pay a $400 premium for the Sony badge on an LCD, for example. I doubt many of the haters are doing any examination of useful Sony patents.

Because people are comfortable with Sony tech and will pay more. If they didn't pay more for Sony, then the prices will go down. In a big box store, Sony is always top dog, and sell more tvs than anyone.

For example, my dad had a Sony tv since 1985. He bought an XBR in 2001 and will probably get another soon.

jjasper

VictimOfGrief said:

Yeah cause Lucas and Star Wars really helped Laserdisc.

VictimOfGrief said:

wow absolutely pathetic :lol

Spielbergo and Lucas are buds for some reason and since Spielbergo is backing the Blu i think Lucas probably will to. Also his movies sort of suck i dont know how much more he can milk the crazy fanboys into buying the movies over again.

Ponn

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
You are assuming the Paramedics got to his house in time to cut him down from his rafters, I guess...

I get this feeling he wouldn't let Blu-ray win that easy. The war needs him now more than ever.

JB1981

Kolgar said:
My feeling is it will happen pretty fast.

Retail is all over this right now. The guys at BB seem pretty aware, anyway. And I imagine it'd be pretty hard to recommend an HD DVD player to anyone about now. So I think retailers will bail out of the red discs and players almost immediately, and that'll be that.

[edit: Also, we'll start seeing more and more "caveat emptor" warnings against HD DVD in the press and in tech guides (like this one: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-6462511-1.html ), so I can't imagine HD DVD lasting for long.]

saw a couple walking out of Best Buy with one today. Felt really bad for them. :(

Vashu

Snah said:
Does anyone know if there's going to be a live stream of the CES keynote/BDA stuff?

I believe that banned gamesite (the one with the most recent controversy, since there are a few sites banned I believe) is going to be there on monday, they'll be going live from the CES at 4 PM Pacific Standard Time on monday and 5 PM PST on Tuesday.

Meier

My buddy with a 360 and HD player just said, "Looks like I'll have to buy a PS3 now." Microsoft is REALLY going to regret not butting in and keeping HD DVD alive. I honestly think they'll lose 2nd place to the PS3 now.

Meier said:
My buddy with a 360 and HD player just said, "Looks like I'll have to buy a PS3 now." Microsoft is REALLY going to regret not butting in and keeping HD DVD alive. I honestly think they'll lose 2nd place to the PS3 now.

If anything, Blu-ray winning will definitely help ease consumer confusion, or help those that were worried about buying a system (and movies) for a format that could die off.

ZeroTolerance

Meier said:

Wait...you did not think so before ? The PS3's first years sales are already catching up to the 360. And with no Halo game coming up ( Not counting Halo Wars), it would be hard for 360 to maintain its lead over PS3.

Totobeni said:
sorry if this is old

New Line Shifts to Blu-ray Exclusivity
Blu Ray.com said:
Following Warner's lead, sister company New Line has confirmed that it will support Blu-ray Disc high def releases exclusively. New Line has previously delayed their day-and-date new releases on HD DVD due to the format's lack of region coding, effectively making titles such as Shoot 'em Up, Hairspray, and Rush Hour 3 exclusive to Blu-ray. Although a 2008 release slate for the studio has not been released, an announcement may be possible at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

that it ...it's over

Ok, so how about not Being able to find Shoot 'em up(in blu ray) ANYWHERE in canada when it was supposed to be available last tuesday.

Wtf is up with that new line?

Meier

ZeroTolerance said:
Wait...you did not think so before ? The PS3's first years sales are already catching up to the 360. And with no Halo game coming up ( Not counting Halo Wars), it would be hard for 360 to maintain its lead over PS3.

PS3 had no chance -- the disparity was much too big in the US to ever surpass it even with better sales outside of the US. It wasn't actually closing the gap, it just wasn't widening.

Snah said:
Does anyone know if there's going to be a live stream of the CES keynote/BDA stuff?

I doubt it, unless one of the cable business channels thinks it is important enough to televise, I doubt we'll see anything like that.

You will start to get early impressions of the "Blu-ray CES 2008 Best Booth of All Time" shortly after their sneak preview event from 8-10AM on Monday from the usual websites and blogs though, I'd expect. There will be a number of Senior Execs of BDA companies on hand, so we'll probably have some juicy quotes circulating around here after that event as well.

harSon

Banned
ZeroTolerance said:

Wouldn't Sony have to sell something like 600,000-900,000 (Not exactly sure of the figure) more then what Microsoft does for an entire year to catch up?

SRG01

The Bookerman said:
Ok, so how about not Being able to find Shoot 'em up(in blu ray) ANYWHERE in canada when it was supposed to be available last tuesday.

Wtf is up with that new line?

Most likely French packaging.

justjohn

Meier said:
lets not get ahead of ourselves here

maharg

idspispopd
Meier said:

By the time blu ray reaches that kind of mass market appeal that it can overturn the 360's cushy lead, there'll be cheaper bluray players out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom