• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
polyh3dron said:
Well, New Line JUST started releasing in high def and they own Dark City, so we'll see. Personally I don't think it'll be a priority for them, they've got a bunch of titles that are much more marketable for the high def market such as LOTR, The Crow, Austin Powers, Blow, etc etc.
yeah I know. I was just commenting that since they finally picked a format they should start with some catalog releases, Dark City being the top one (at least for me).

The Crow? That's Miramax/Dimension (and probably Disney in the end).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
dark city should be in the works, it was listed on the HDDVD release list at one point (the official one that got leaked constantly) under "TBD 2007". Obviously didnt happen, but newline got in the game later than expected, so I would assume a transfer is being worked on. Not coming at all to HDDVD I would imagine (I'm guessing we will only get day and date WB movies from now on, just not day and date)

Now, I just have to get a BRD player. Sadly, it seems all the dual format players are gimped, so I need to buy a standalone.. but I'm out of HDMI inputs. UGG!

bune duggy said:
yeah I know. I was just commenting that since they finally picked a format they should start with some catalog releases, Dark City being the top one (at least for me).

The Crow? That's Miramax/Dimension (and probably Disney in the end).
Oh really? Whoops, my bad. Yes that does mean it's Disney in the end.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ohhh.

So the Men in Black trivia game on the BD disc is online enabled.
You can compete with other people.

That's a kinda neat use of the online stuff.
(though honestly, I'd probably just use it once)

StoOgE said:
Now, I just have to get a BRD player. Sadly, it seems all the dual format players are gimped, so I need to buy a standalone.. but I'm out of HDMI inputs. UGG!

I was also looking at the dual format players as well (well, the Samsung). Only profile 1.1 :/

I never intended to use my PS3 strictly for movies, so I'll get probably sometime down the road a BD-Live player (the Panasonic one looks interesting, but no price though). I think I'll wait until Sharp announces one.

I just want a player as good as my XA2 (since I love it) at a great price. So I'll still use it as my main HD movie player until then.

Still planning to get Pan's Labyrinth, Zodiac, The Pianist and American Gangster in a couple of weeks.

Laurent

bune duggy said:
Sounds good. Since most movies are probably in the planning stages it's not until a release date is announced that I'll get excited.
I would probably be interested in seeing The Black Cauldron in high definition soon; talk about wishful thinking! :lol

Laurent said:
I would probably be interested in seeing The Black Cauldron in high definition soon; talk about wishful thinking! :lol
Disney releasing The Other Black Sheep on Blu-Ray? Wishful thinking indeed! :lol

Though it at least has a chance since it was on DVD.

maharg

idspispopd
bill gates said:
Our codecs and HDi are available on the other format and we are a leader in digital download so we have some involvement in all three approaches.

Wait, what? HDi is available on BD?

Snah

Banned
AstroLad said:
Right on Bill.

Except, he's wrong.

AstroLad said:
Well I don't think he's talking about quality, just market penetration. No doubt there are many more obstacles to video DD than audio DD, but I welcome some sort of DD future. I buy most of my music through iTunes or Amazon now and I love it. Hopefully they can come up with similarly good systems for video (and hopefully the video would be compatible with portable devices as well. The argument always boils down to how they can pull it off since it's quite different from audio DD.

We'll see, but the people who were adamant about the relatively low quality of most audio DD preventing it from getting any sort of mainstream acceptance were proven wrong a while ago. Not to say that that success necessarily means that mainstream video DD in the next decade is a foregone conclusion, but it should be interesting. It's clear why Bill is citing to that possibility; it's a useful fanboy fallback position in this WAR (i.e., say that there was no "loss" since really there's nothing worthwhile being competed for) and obviously MS has been eyeing DD for quite some time now.

Seeing is believing, and the way people listen to music is much different than the way people watch movies. Music is much more portable and accessible, which is why iPods are so successful. Movies? Not so much. UMDs are a failure partially because it just doesn't make much sense. When you watch a movie, you want to sit down and experience it. You're taking 2-3 hours out of your schedule to devote to this. You're going to want high quality, especially in light of that new HDTV you purchased. You can also trust your eyes a lot more than your ears in terms of quality, and the jump to blu-ray increases the fidelity of both.

DD has a lot of obstacles, and even in light of the 'digital music age', CD sales are still king. And the barriers to digital music distribution went away with the advent of broadband many years ago.

DD for movies right now, and in the future, only makes sense for rentals and that is exactly what Microsoft is looking at right now. That being said, their DD sales through the Xbox pale in comparison to Blu-Ray/HD-DVD sales, and it's a tremendous rip off. We can keep hyping up DD, but until the infrastructure changes (which won't happen by the time blu-ray is popular), CE manufacturers start supporting a standard set-top box, and the studios agree on a service provider, DD is nothing more than vaporware.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I thought HDi was supported by the BRD, but not under mandatory spec (like BRJ is).. which means no one will ever support it.

or maybe it was voted on and passed, but got killed by someones veto.

Laurent said:
What was The Other Black Sheep?
Well, The Original Black Sheep would be Song of the South making The Black Cauldron The Other Black Sheep. Choice tidbits from wikipedia:
Shortly before the film's release to theaters, newly appointed Disney chairman Jeffrey Katzenberg ordered several scenes from The Black Cauldron be cut, due to the fear that the graphic nature of them would alienate children and family audiences. The bulk of the cut scenes involved the undead "Cauldron Born", who are used as the Horned King's army in the final act of the film. While most of the scenes were seamlessly removed from the film, one particular cut involving a Cauldron Born killing a person by slicing his neck and torso created a rather recognizable lapse due to the fact that the removal of the scene creates a jump in the film's soundtrack. Additionally, a scene involving Taran taking the magic sword and slaying his foes while he escapes the Horned King's castle for the first time was removed, as well as another scene with Princess Eilonwy partially nude as fabric was ripped off of her dress as she is hanging by her hands with Taran and Fflewddur Fflam. Another scene cut featured a man being dissolved by mist.[1] The removal of these scenes was to prevent the film from receiving either a PG-13 or R rating, in which Disney doesn't approve. The final version of the film was the first animated film from Disney to get a PG rating from the MPAA.

As of this day, the original cut of the film with the removed scenes restored has never been released on video or DVD. A version of the film with more cuts has appeared on the Disney Channel and the Toon Disney channel.

The film's failure at the box office combined with its dark tone led to Disney shelving the film for nearly 15 years.

Although Disney traditionally re-released their animated features every 7 or so years to theatres, The Black Cauldron remained out of circulation (both theatrically and on home video) for well over a decade after its release. Finally, it was released on home video in late 1998. In 2000 the video was re-released on VHS, and released for the first time on DVD under Disney's "Gold Classics Collection" banner. Though the DVD is unrestored and non-anamorphic; the R2 release in France is restored, remastered, and anamorphic.
It would be nice to get the original cut of the movie and Song of the South in HD but that's about as likely as monkeys flying out of my butt.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Surprised no one has posted this yet.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#idea
Given that, I think it would be wise at this point for the Blu-ray Disc Association and its member studios and manufacturers to make a peace offering of sorts to HD-DVD supporters. Warner and the rest of the BDA should make some kind of offer to HD-DVD enthusiasts that would allow them to exchange a few of their HD-DVD discs for Blu-ray versions of the same titles, or to provide some kind of additional discount on Blu-ray players to those who have purchased HD-DVD players prior to December 31st 2007, to help them migrate to Blu-ray more easily and painlessly. It would be a nice gesture. It's not like both camps aren't giving tons of free discs away already in "buy one get one free" offers. It might cost the BDA a little up front, but the goodwill it would generate among enthusiasts would be worth the expense, I think. It would be a nice way to welcome HD-DVD consumers into the Blu-ray fold, and it's a way to help put this format war foolishness - and the acrimony that it's inspired online - behind us. It's worth considering.

...and more
One last note this evening: That idea I floated yesterday, that the BDA should offer an olive branch to HD-DVD consumers? I mentioned it to senior BDA executives this evening, and I think you can safely say that they're going to move forward with something along these very lines in the weeks ahead. We'll post more when we can, but the idea was definitely warmly received. In fact, plans are already in the works. We'll post more on this as things develop.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Snah said:
DD for movies right now, and in the future, only makes sense for rentals and that is exactly what Microsoft is looking at right now. That being said, their DD sales through the Xbox pale in comparison to Blu-Ray/HD-DVD sales, and it's a tremendous rip off. We can keep hyping up DD, but until the infrastructure changes (which won't happen by the time blu-ray is popular), CE manufacturers start supporting a standard set-top box, and the studios agree on a service provider, DD is nothing more than vaporware.

Why would you compare the DD of just Live? Through in iTunes at least. I don't track this stuff religiously at all but I wouldn't be surprised if iTunes had some pretty impressive numbers. Just via random googling:

Iger also revealed during the call that sales of Disney movies on iTunes have passed the 2 million mark while TV shows have shot past. Top-selling titles include Cars and Pirates of the Caribbean, while back-catalog titles have been selling at a much slower clip. Sales of Disney TV shows have topped the 23 million mark altogether since they were added to the iTunes Store.

Disney's online strategy is going great guns as well: the company recently redesigned its web site and overhauled its web strategy and, as a result, is raking in the cheese. Disney sees over 100 million videos per week streamed to 6 million unique broadband visitors per month, and page views are up 10 percent since the redesign of Disney.com. Despite his feeling that the strength of Disney.com is enough for the company to go it alone, Iger believes that not hooking up with other content-distribution partners would be short-sighted: "We're looking for deals that allow us the flexibility to go directly to the consumer as well as through a third party," said Iger. "We're not entering into any exclusive deals."
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...ie-sales-prove-potency-of-format-pricing.html

Laurent

bune duggy said:
Well, The Original Black Sheep would be Song of the South making The Black Cauldron The Other Black Sheep. Choice tidbits from wikipedia:It would be nice to get the original cut of the movie and Song of the South in HD but that's about as likely as monkeys flying out of my butt.
I knew that The Black Cauldron was a flop somehow, but I never heard of Song of the South... All that editing saga makes me wonder if the version I grabbed previously on the net was unrated...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Snah said:
Physical media sales trump DD sales.

Well yeah, that's still the case even for audio by a longshot. Although that's not counting piracy, so maybe not quite as long of a shot if you're considering overall usage.

StoOgE said:
dark city should be in the works, it was listed on the HDDVD release list at one point (the official one that got leaked constantly) under "TBD 2007". Obviously didnt happen, but newline got in the game later than expected, so I would assume a transfer is being worked on. Not coming at all to HDDVD I would imagine (I'm guessing we will only get day and date WB movies from now on, just not day and date)

HDMI switcher. That's what I plan to buy in the next month or so.

Snah

Banned
captive said:
*sigh*
Did Paramount's decision effectively end the war?

Well, Paramount's move only made the playing field a bit more equal.

Warner's decision ends the war.

I don't think it's such a bad idea to offer some sort of incentive for the HD-DVD camp to switch. Likewise, I don't think it would be all that financially burdensome on behalf of the BDA. A few free discs is nothing, and the added benefit of giving the rabid HD-DVD fanbase more positive mindshare of the Blu-Ray brand, thus making the switch easier, will more than pay off.

The last thing the Blu-Ray camp wants to do is act arrogant about all this. HD-DVD owners are fans of HD media. It would be unwise to act in any way that would potentially discourage them from embracing the new format.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
OokieSpookie said:
It is the dumbest idea and complete tripe.
I think it was touched on a few pages ago, and has been talked about in mass at br.com.
It is embarrassing that it is even said with a straight face in my opinion.
Wow such anger.

Its hardly the dumbest idea ever

Things that go under dumbest idea:
two formats that do the same fucking thing...
lighting your self on fire to see if you'll really get burned...
pointing roman candles at other people...
lighting fireworks off of your crotch...

among other things.

I never thought i would see the day where Snah makes more sense than ookie, but alas i have seen said day.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
OokieSpookie said:
It is the dumbest idea and complete tripe.
I think it was touched on a few pages ago, and has been talked about in mass at br.com.
It is embarrassing that it is even said with a straight face in my opinion.

:lol

For titles that exist in both formats, I think it'd be a great incentive to accept a one-for-one tradein Red-to-Blu.

I don't think the volume of trade-ins would be that great, and the PR benefits are huge.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
imo it wouldn't be a bad idea to impose a modest "conversion tax" on current BD owners to help susbsidize people moving over and facilitate the move to a single format as quickly and painlessly as possible. You could either tax them directly on put a small tax on BD sales and then use that income to have some sort of buyback program, promotions, etc.

B-Ri

Snah said:
Well, Paramount's move only made the playing field a bit more equal.

Warner's decision ends the war.

I don't think it's such a bad idea to offer some sort of incentive for the HD-DVD camp to switch. Likewise, I don't think it would be all that financially burdensome on behalf of the BDA. A few free discs is nothing, and the added benefit of giving the rabid HD-DVD fanbase more positive mindshare of the Blu-Ray brand, thus making the switch easier, will more than pay off.

The last thing the Blu-Ray camp wants to do is act arrogant about all this. HD-DVD owners are fans of HD media. It would be unwise to act in any way that would potentially discourage them from embracing the new format.

cant they recycle the lasers? arent they the same?

"Give us your hd-dvd player and we will give you 5 free blu-rays when you switch" laser gets recycled into a new blu-ray player

zomg cost effectiveness

AstroLad said:
imo it wouldn't be a bad idea to impose a modest "conversion tax" on current BD owners to help susbsidize people moving over and facilitate the move to a single format as quickly and painlessly as possible. You could either tax them directly on put a small tax on BD sales and then use that income to have some sort of buyback program, promotions, etc.

What?!

the last think I think you ought to do is penalize people for choosing wisely.

justjohn

i think the BDA should concentrate on wooing people who havent invested in hd yet or havent heard much about it, not losers with their defunct hardware. they already know everything about hd so its only a matter of time before they switch to bd

ManaByte

Gold Member
Has Disney announced plans to release the fixed Pirates in stores? Or are you stuck buying the fucked up version and sending away for a good disc?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
ManaByte said:
Has Disney announced plans to release the fixed Pirates in stores? Or are you stuck buying the fucked up version and sending away for a good disc?
Pretty sure they would stop, and have stopped making the broken version.....

bune duggy said:
Disney releasing The Other Black Sheep on Blu-Ray? Wishful thinking indeed! :lol

Though it at least has a chance since it was on DVD.
It took FOREVER for them to release it on VHS (If they ever even did) and forever to come out on DVD. When I was a kid I was heartbroken that I could never find it on VHS, but it took so long for it to come out on DVD even that I had just gotten over it. Would love to have a BD version though, this movie was done on 70mm film IIRC so it should look AMAZING provided they do a good remastering job.

Ignatz Mouse said:
For titles that exist in both formats, I think it'd be a great incentive to accept a one-for-one tradein Red-to-Blu.

I don't think the volume of trade-ins would be that great, and the PR benefits are huge.

A one for one trade in?
So I will go buy up all I can at hd clearance sales giving money to toshiba and then trade it for a blu version costing blu money....

Laurent said:
I knew that The Black Cauldron was a flop somehow, but I never heard of Song of the South... All that editing saga makes me wonder if the version I grabbed previously on the net was unrated...
really? Well, Wikipedia has the full story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_the_south
Accusations of racism

Even early in the film's production, there was concern that the material would encounter controversy. As the writing of the screenplay was getting under way, Disney publicist Vern Caldwell wrote to producer Perce Pearce that "The negro situation is a dangerous one. Between the negro haters and the negro lovers there are many chances to run afoul of situations that could run the gamut all the way from the nasty to the controversial."[1]

When the film was first released, the NAACP acknowledged "the remarkable artistic merit" of the film, but decried the supposed "impression it gives of an idyllic master-slave relationship" (even though the film was set after the American Civil War).[4] Today, the organization has no position on the movie.[2]

In 2007, Movies.com listed the film as the fifth most controversial film of all time.[15]
polyh3dron said:
It took FOREVER for them to release it on VHS (If they ever even did) and forever to come out on DVD. When I was a kid I was heartbroken that I could never find it on VHS, but it took so long for it to come out on DVD even that I had just gotten over it. Would love to have a BD version though, this movie was done on 70mm film IIRC so it should look AMAZING provided they do a good remastering job.
yeah, it was:
This film was shot using the Super Technirama 70 widescreen 70 mm film process, and is one of only two Disney films to have been produced in such a manner, the other being Sleeping Beauty.
ManaByte said:
this is from CAG:
Crichton said:
Just picked up the first two Pirates movies at TRU yesterday BOGO and COTBP did not have the frame out of sync. Hopefully others that pick them up will not have the problem.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Laurent said:

Song of the South contained some of my favorite songs as a child. It's a shame that Disney is trying to hide it's existence due to slavery. I don't remember it being overtly racist but what would I know, I was a kid when I it.

Oni Jazar

ManaByte said:

You don't have to send away for a good disc. You call and they should send you another disc at no charge, without having to send the old copy back. It may take a while though. I emailed them before x-mas and I'm still waiting. The whole thing is so minor though I really don't care.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
bill0527 said:
Someone has posted it.

My response: I'm still waiting for someone to offer me a trade-in program for my 8-tracks, Beta movies, Laserdiscs, Digital Audio Tapes, and Mini-Discs.
however, none of those were ever released as identical competing formats. each one had pros and cons, were released on their own (except for betamax) and saw generally the same widespread support, except for the last two which saw almost universally no support.

in this case you had virtually two identical formats release with very few distinguishing features, none of which matter to the typical consumer, and with wildly varying support by each studio.

comparing HD-DVD to other niche and/or failed formats is like comparing it to the fall of IBM. Irrelevant. This wasn't determined by complete consumer rejection or apathy like those formats. This was a result of corporate squabbling and politics. The consumers were the one caught right in the middle of all this corporate bickering. I mean if you bought into HD-DVD two years ago specifically because of WB backing, and now almost two years later WB is completely pulling out, I guess your informed choice based on your research doesn't mean jack or shit. That has to account for something to these companies. edit - and do I believe this same thing about Paramount? Abso-fucking-lutely. However there were all sorts of classless acts that occurred as a result of the Paramount switcheroo... so unless the goal is to be just as without class and disrespectful as that deal was, they really should think about doing something.

OokieSpookie said:
A one for one trade in?
So I will go buy up all I can at hd clearance sales giving money to toshiba and then trade it for a blu version costing blu money....
the suggestion that bill hunt made was to enable a cutoff date. so say 12/31/07. This would create a known finite amount of incentives to hand out and would stop exactly what you are suggesting. I mean let's face it, anyone buying a player or discs for HD-DVD after 1/4/07 should pretty much know what they are getting into. and if they don't, the sales person or friend they are likely working with definitely will.

AstroLad said:

No, the companies who are profiting from blu-ray dominating should provide the buyback program and pay for it themselves, write it off as a loss spent to increase future gains.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
th_85pxq9u.gif

:lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom