• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had to guess, if they get a program together, I'd say if you show a receipt of an HD-DVD player before 1/4/2007, and receipt of a BD/PS3 player purchased after 1/4/2007, they give you some fee discs.

el Diablo

Banned
New Line i know you're tired of hearing all the LotR dorks beg for the trilogy (i keed i keed), so feel free to work on this plzokthxbye.

6sjv90k.jpg

Ignatz Mouse said:
For titles that exist in both formats, I think it'd be a great incentive to accept a one-for-one tradein Red-to-Blu.

I don't think the volume of trade-ins would be that great, and the PR benefits are huge.

Yeah i can just see the sour grape hardcore HD-DVD backers trading in all their movies then flipping them on Ebay just to get their last laugh.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
If I had to guess, if they get a program together, I'd say if you show a receipt of an HD-DVD player before 1/4/2007, and receipt of a BD/PS3 player purchased after 1/4/2007, they give you some fee discs.

As i have said in another thread ( and maybe this one who knows ), the ONLY way that anything like that would be tolerable is IF Toshiba does the right thing and concedes this thing now.

I still do not know why people should get jack shit though.
The movies still work, the players still work.
I would think many people have Ampd mobile phones, dreamcast games, minidisks, amiga computers and countless other things that have lost format wars.
Toshiba should suck it up, throw in the towel and create a combo disk player and offer a trade in discount on their old players.
Let them take the brunt.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
OokieSpookie said:
I would think many people have Ampd mobile phones, dreamcast games, minidisks, amiga computers and countless other things that have lost format wars.
Toshiba should suck it up, throw in the towel and create a combo disk player and offer a trade in discount on their old players.
Let them take the brunt.

Well it's not like the BDA would be doing this out of kindness and charity. The sole question is whether it would be a sound business decision.

Christopher

2 things:

1.) I asked on the other page - why do some BRD come with covers on and some don't? Is it Dinsey only?

2.) Don't the discs kinna feel bootleg ;p I mean it's just the disc and nothing on the other side, not even like a chapter/section menu or some artwork on the inside of the covers - it just feels cheap for now which is why I think double dipping is coming.

OokieSpookie said:
As i have said in another thread ( and maybe this one who knows ), the ONLY way that anything like that would be tolerable is IF Toshiba does the right thing and concedes this thing now.

Let them take the brunt.
Ampd was more because they had too many subscribers who didn't want to pay their bills but otherwise I agree with you (and I had a MD player).
Christopher said:
2 things:

1.) I asked on the other page - why do some BRD come with covers on and some don't? Is it Dinsey only?

2.) Don't the discs kinna feel bootleg ;p I mean it's just the disc and nothing on the other side, not even like a chapter/section menu or some artwork on the inside of the covers - it just feels cheap for now which is why I think double dipping is coming.
1. more than likely, much like their DVD releases.
2. It depends on who you're buying the disc from. Some companies have artwork on the inside of the cover, some have inserts, some have chapters listed as the inside artwork. It varies and I wish it didn't.

Mifune

Mehmber
I really can't understand why anyone would be against the BDA extending an olive branch to HD-DVD owners, unless you want said HD-DVD people dead, their families dead, and their houses burnt to the ground.

DoubleTap

I don't know why the BDA should extend an "olive branch", they've been trying to woo everyone into buying Blu with all the BOGO's, Sales, and 5 Free movie deals since June of 07 (as far as I can remember) . IMO, they should just continue doing this.

Elios83

AstroLad said:
Well it's not like the BDA would be doing this out of kindness and charity. The sole question is whether it would be a sound business decision.

The only way that the BDA would do something like that is if Toshiba decided to admit defeat, to free Universal and Paramount from their contracts and to jump themselves on Blu Ray players production within the first half of 2008. In that case an official replacement program for HD-DVD owners could be made as an incentive from the BDA to complete the shift to BR.
Actually it would be nice if something like this happened in the upcoming weeks/months, Toshiba, Universal and Pramount will be meeting to decide what to do of all this situation in their best interests and I hope that they won't go on in the madness, sales of HD-DVD players and movies will collapse as soon as the recent news become widespread, it's not like they can do anything at this point.

avaya

OokieSpookie said:
I love this part the best of course :

They are desperately trying to get themselves out of the contract. Universal didn't renew so they have free reign to do whatever the hell they want. I think Katzenberg is going to be left holding the bag at DreamWorks.

Spielberg will go mental. I can't imagine what Bay's new rant will be :lol

avaya said:
They are desperately trying to get themselves out of the contract. Universal didn't renew so they have free reign to do whatever the hell they want. I think Katzenberg is going to be left holding the bag at DreamWorks.

Spielberg will go mental. I can't imagine what Bay's new rant will be :lol

Spielberg films aren't part of the Dreamwork deal, he can do whatever he wants with them

B-Ri

just saw a best buy commercial about HDTV and media

only and specifically was blu-ray mentioned, followed by their "HD Done Right" motto :O

Kolgar

OokieSpookie said:

Let them take the brunt.

Holy cow, how about some good will?

Some of these early HD buyers may feel burned. The BDA needs more adopters to speed the transition from DVD. And these people are the perfect candidates. It would be a missed opportunity, and dangerous for HDM, to just let these high-def prospects go away mad.

So now the BDA can do these HD DVD purchasers, as well as themselves, a favor by offering some small incentive to "go Blu."

That's just smart business. Harboring some sort of personal grudge against them because they bought red is not.

avaya

Eel O'Brian said:
Spielberg films aren't part of the Dreamwork deal, he can do whatever he wants with them

I know that but Spielberg still has a stake/say in DreamWorks doesn't he? They will be stuck with whatever Paramount does. I think DreamWorks will speed up their departure, to another studio, most likely Warner since Universal can't afford anything.

Kolgar

Christopher said:
Business has no good will.

Maybe not, but that's what business people call it when they attempt to do something like Bill Hunt has suggested.

I'd like to see it. Even if it's ultimately for selfish reasons, it looks classy. :lol

Snah

Banned
I do agree that there should be some incentives in place, but ONLY IF Universal/Paramount throw in the towel.

This needs to be completely over before HD-DVD adopters are given incentives to switch.

Hopefully we hear something tonight about Universal and Paramount.

Jeff-DSA

I had a few PM me and ask if I actually had a Blu-ray player, so here's the collection:

DSC02461.jpg

You can see that I favored HD-DVD, but I'm wasn't opposed to Blu-ray by any means. Going forward, however, I'll probably only get HD-DVDs if they're exclusives and the rest will be Blu-rays.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I'm definitely not counting on getting any sort of incentive to go Blu, but if I got one, it would speed the process. One reason why it might be a good idea is because a lot of HD-DVD supporters actually did buy a significant amount of movies. When you consider the install advantage Blu had with PS3 and that 4 out of every 10 discs sold last year went to an HD-DVD owner, you can see that they do buy movies. Get them on Blu's side with a little good will/incentive and they will continue buying Blu movies sooner and more often.

I have close to 30 titles myself and have only been red since the end of Oct. Of course, the range of price was $10-$22 shipped on each title, but I proved as a consumer that if HD movies had a good transfer that I would buy a lot at that price point. To think that someone like myself could buy 3-4 titles of Blu a month wouldn't be a stretch, but personally it will probably be a little bit before I jump back in. Any incentive program would push other hd enthusiasts (who already have the other necessary equipment i/e the tv and potentially the stereo) who were red only back into the fray sooner rather than later.

I agree that it's good business sense. But, definitely not counting on it.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Snah said:
I do agree that there should be some incentives in place, but ONLY IF Universal/Paramount throw in the towel.

This needs to be completely over before HD-DVD adopters are given incentives to switch.

Hopefully we hear something tonight about Universal and Paramount.

I agree with this as well. No reason to attract the stragglers unless Toshiba is willing to submit. If someone wants to drown on red then their player shouldn't be subsidized. I assume whether Toshiba admits it or not that the war is over. I just hope it doesn't drag on at this point.

Wollan

I rented a movie today in my hometown (small city, ~20k people) and all the employees in the rental store were wearing blue sweaters with the Blu-ray logo on.
MIX store franchise for those interested, Norway. This is teh begin.

Kolgar said:
Holy cow, how about some good will?

Some of these early HD buyers may feel burned. The BDA needs more adopters to speed the transition from DVD. And these people are the perfect candidates. It would be a missed opportunity, and dangerous for HDM, to just let these high-def prospects go away mad.

So now the BDA can do these HD DVD purchasers, as well as themselves, a favor by offering some small incentive to "go Blu."

That's just smart business. Harboring some sort of personal grudge against them because they bought red is not.

Smart incentive is a "$25 off of a blu ray player" or another bogo.
People are fishing for some kind of movie trade or some other crazy shit.

Seriously what is next, thaivo and deadmeat coming in looking for goodwill from the bda?

MechDX

OokieSpookie said:
Smart incentive is a "$25 off of a blu ray player" or another bogo.
People are fishing for some kind of movie trade or some other crazy shit.

Seriously what is next, thaivo and deadmeat coming in looking for goodwill from the bda?

You are taking this way too damn serious.

The BDA and the HD DVD group are giant companies that honestly dont give a damn about you nor me. WHy do you feel you have a personal interest in this?:lol

DJ_Tet

Banned
Anyone thinking they will be able to trade their movies in for Blu via a trade-in program must be smoking some good stuff.

unless you want said HD-DVD people dead, their families dead, and their houses burnt to the ground.

What is best in life? to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you...and hear the lamentation of their women!

Speaking of...when is the cimmerian going to have the HD treatment.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If only there were a way we could charge more for dejected RED supporters to buy into to the winner. Problem is it would be tough to ID them (jokes about slovenly appearance aside).

MechDX said:
You are taking this way too damn serious.

The BDA and the HD DVD group are giant companies that honestly dont give a damn about you nor me. WHy do you feel you have a personal interest in this?:lol

Because it bugs the hell out of me that some of the people even talking about this are some of the same ones who have talked down about the format the entire time.
It is completely asinine.

MechDX

OokieSpookie said:
Because it bugs the hell out of me that some of the people even talking about this are some of the same ones who have talked down about the format the entire time.

So, let em talk. It more than likely wont happen anyway because of exactly what I sai. Neither sides leaders give a rats ass about the general public as long as we keep buying their shit.

Kolgar

OokieSpookie said:

Ah, forget about them. Business isn't personal.

Ask yourself: Would it benefit Blu to pick up more customers? Yes? Then if the BDA can come up with a smart incentive--something that doesn't cost much but that red owners would find attractive--then it's a good idea.

BDA will make money off those customers over time, so it's a small investment for long-term gain and it's pretty good PR to boot.

OokieSpookie said:

I'm one of the people talking about this, and I don't think you can say I've been running down Blu-ray (go Blu!).

I like the idea because it accelerates the adoption by people already shown to be willing to buy movies.

Don't be petty-- depending on the costs, it could be a good idea.

MechDX

I have G4 on the TV satellite, the Gamespot window open (Talking to Sharp about their LCD's with this gaming Viper chip, sounds cool!) and the Engadget blog on another tab.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I just read an AP article on CES:

This quote jumps out at me:

At the Blu-ray booth at CES, a prototype Panasonic player was showing an "Alien vs. Predator" movie in which the viewer can get involved by bringing up an on-screen gun, controlled by the remote, and shooting at monsters to score points.

Do people really care a bout garbage special features like this in their media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom