• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YYZ

Band of Brothers > Rome

I enjoyed Rome but I don't get the insane love for it. One of the huge letdowns was Cleopatra, wtf. I was expecting some hot exotic figure and it turned out to be a dud. I wouldn't buy it on HD. Band of Brothers though, get it out ASAP.

Sallokin said:
My gf picked up a copy of The Fifth Element on BR for me today after my DVD copy just got too scratched (bless her). I noticed after watching it that it's not the remastered edition. My question is, is the PQ on the remastered edition worth the trip back to the store?

oh hellz yeah

And no, Mr. Opus GunJumper, Band Of Brothers has NOT been announce for a high def release. HBO hasn't announced any upcoming high def releases.

YYZ said:
Band of Brothers > Rome

I enjoyed Rome but I don't get the insane love for it. One of the huge letdowns was Cleopatra, wtf. I was expecting some hot exotic figure and it turned out to be a dud. I wouldn't buy it on HD. Band of Brothers though, get it out ASAP.

Stinkles and I are better people than you. We're probably better-looking, drive cooler cars, make love to sexier partners, and give more to charity, too. When we die, Stinkles and I are going straight to heaven.

CONFIRMED.

:lol

Band of Brothers is cool though.

Mifune

Mehmber
YYZ said:
Band of Brothers > Rome

I'm inclined to agree. Rome was pretty decent. While I loved Season One, I felt like Season Two was a vapid soap opera that abandoned the gritty historical grounding that made the first work so well for me.

Mifune said:
I'm inclined to agree. Rome was pretty decent. While I loved Season One, I felt like Season Two was a vapid soap opera that abandoned the gritty historical grounding that made the first work so well for me.

Man, I thought the post-Caesar power-struggle was handled brilliantly in Rome: Season Two.

I think Rome will look fantastic (it already did on HBO-HD), but I don't know about BoB. There's a lot of handheld cam stuff and stylistic filming choices that might lead to it not really coming off as impressive in HD.

MechDX

I admit the format war is over and BD won but Bill Hunt is still the biggest douchebag in all of this format war nonsense.

Enderle is a close second.:D

Pristine_Condition said:
Man, I thought the post-Caesar power-struggle was handled brilliantly in Rome: Season Two.

If there's anything you can fault Rome for, is that the ending of S2 seemed very compressed in a few episodes. The show really could've spread out the plot lines in 12 more episodes instead of 10. If you don't know the history, I can see how you can get lost in the episode to episode changes towards the end.

MechDX said:
I admit the format war is over and BD won but Bill Hunt is still the biggest douchebag in all of this format war nonsense.

Say what you want about hunt he makes no illusions about where his bias lies and also he is in the loop lately like it or not.

MechDX said:

he did a "Happy BLU Year" holiday e-card thing on digital bits, i'd say doing something like that automatically fails you out of the rest of your life

Eel O'Brian said:
he did a "Happy BLU Year" holiday e-card thing on digital bits, i'd say doing something like that automatically fails you out of the rest of your life

Yeah, I am sure amir , jram and others are much more rational.

racerx77

Banned
MechDX said:
Indeed.. I love the DB website as far as info goes, but he slammed or made snide remarks about HD-DVD EVERY time he mentioned high defintion. pretty pitiful for a "Professional website"...

racerx77 said:
Indeed.. I love the DB website as far as info goes, but he slammed or made snide remarks about HD-DVD EVERY time he mentioned high defintion. pretty pitiful for a "Professional website"...

Yeah, go tell that to engadget and countless other sites who have their head up hd's ass, and they still try to pretend to be neutral.

ManaByte

Gold Member
MechDX said:

The funny thing is that during the DVD era, Bill's site was the best and he was always professional about it even when killing off DIVX.

On the other hand, Bracke's site was worse with Bracke himself being super arrogant and pretty slimy in the way it was ran. Most DVD sites didn't like him because he sold his site to Interactual, which made the DVDROM playing software that was included on most DVDs. That sell out gave him access to discs that studios wouldn't send to anyone else. The head of Universal Home Video at the time was notorious for hating online media, so she wouldn't allow anyone review copies of DVDs, but Bracke was able to get them through Interactual, which used his site as a marketing tool.

With the HD era, the tables are turned. Now The Digital Bits is a marketing tool for the BDA, while Bracke's site is pretty much the best independent HD site out there.

racerx77

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
Yeah, go tell that to engadget and countless other sites who have their head up hd's ass, and they still try to pretend to be neutral.
Oh I know that goes for both sides. Its rediculous either way. I have both and enjoy both. This "mine is better than yours" attitude from these websites is pretty silly. :D

Snah

Banned
Eel O'Brian said:

Uh. Why?

Bill Hunt was probably one of the most rational individuals in this entire ordeal. He's been saying what many of us have been saying for months. Just because he took a side (the logical side), that's reason to discount him? Because he wasn't "neutral"?

Who is disagreeing with him now? :lol

MechDX

OokieSpookie said:

Up until about a month or so ago Hunt screamed he wasnt bias. You shouldnt go around preaching your "unbias" then suddenly state "I am a BD supporter".

racerx77

Banned
Snah said:
Uh. Why?

Bill Hunt was probably one of the most rational individuals in this entire ordeal. He's been saying what many of us have been saying for months. Just because he took a side (the logical side), that's reason to discount him? Because he wasn't "neutral"?

Who is disagreeing with him now? :lol
I dont think its that he preferred blu.. But every time there was something positive about HD-DVD he always had to bring it down.. not "transformers did very well its first week on HD-DVD" but " It did well... IMAGINE if it had been on BLU-ray! " It was like that ALL the time and got very annoying.

Zaptruder

Banned
MechDX said:
Up until about a month or so ago Hunt screamed he wasnt bias. You shouldnt go around preaching your "unbias" then suddenly state "I am a BD supporter".

If you were running a site, I'm pretty sure it would be way douchier than even enderle's.

The fact that you conflate Hunt with Enderle is proof enough of your general BD hating douchebaggery.

BD. It's not going to kill you then rape your momma.

Snah said:
Bill Hunt was probably one of the most rational individuals in this entire ordeal.:lol

I fixed this so it makes more sense.

I used to go to digital bits for a lot of DVD news, but once this high-def "war" started going down Hunt wasted no opportunity to cram it down reader's throats on a daily basis. Totally turned me off from going there as I had absolutely no interest in it at the time. He was like one of those hobo street preachers trying to hand me a handmade magic marker Jesus flyer. I don't know who the rest of the HD players are, and couldn't care less, to tell you the truth. Hunt just ruined his own site over this crap.

MechDX said:

I've been reading Hunt for about a year. I think his POV was pretty clear:

--He was never straight-up "neutral" because the two-format system made no sense as a market reality.

--He supported Blu-ray inasmuch as they were always the likely victor, (due to the greater studio and CE manufacturer support; this isn't bias, it is looking at the facts on the ground with clarity,) but never a supporter to the point where he told people straight-up to go out and get a Blu-ray player.

--Up until this week, his general position was something along the lines of "don't buy a player yet, or you could get burned."

--Now, he's saying it's pretty much over, and you can feel fairly safe about buying a Blu-ray player.

With this in mind, I never saw any inconsistency in Hunt's tone over this last year.

OokieSpookie said:
Agreed, Engadget is pretty much the mother effin winner of the Blu-ray Stealth Troll Award.

Raistlin

Pristine_Condition said:
I've been reading Hunt for about a year. I think his POV was pretty clear:

--He was never straight-up "neutral" because the two-format system made no sense as a market reality.

--He supported Blu-ray inasmuch as they were always the likely victor, (due to the greater studio and CE manufacturer support; this isn't bias, it is looking at the facts on the ground with clarity,) but never a supporter to the point where he told people straight-up to go out and get a Blu-ray player.

--Up until this week, his general position was something along the lines of "don't buy a player yet, or you could get burned."

--Now, he's saying it's pretty much over, and you can feel fairly safe about buying a Blu-ray player.

With this in mind, I never saw any inconsistency in Hunt's tone over this last year.

Raistlin

_leech_ said:

Is there a bigger pic of the cover?

It's hard to tell, but is that from the scene where Arnold cakes himself in mud? If so, this is one of the better covers so far!

Me likey.

day 1

I do wish someone like LucasArts would redo some of the special effects in this movie though. Everything is pretty much perfect, except for the stuff like the Predator's laser sight, etc. That, and some of the lasers themselves. It would actually be pretty easy to clean up, as there aren't many scenes. If they could do that, this movie would hold up to basically anything that's been released since

ManaByte

Gold Member
Onix said:
Is there a bigger pic of the cover?

It's hard to tell, but is that from the scene where Arnold cakes himself in mud? If so, this is one of the better covers so far!

Me likey.

41Y8A6PKWKL._SS500_.jpg

Same cover as the two-disc DVD two years ago. Probably will have the same features, but knowing FOX it could be another bare bones $40 disc. Why can they fill shit (FF:ROTSS) with extras, but do bare bones on good movies?

ManaByte said:
41Y8A6PKWKL._SS500_.jpg

Same cover as the two-disc DVD two years ago. Probably will have the same features, but knowing FOX it could be another bare bones $40 disc. Why can they fill shit (FF:ROTSS) with extras, but do bare bones on good movies?
i swear they're doing this just to piss me off. yeah, sure we COULD put out Alien to coincide with AvP:R (shitty movie by the way) but... nah! lets put out Predator!

ManaByte said:
The funny thing is that during the DVD era, Bill's site was the best and he was always professional about it even when killing off DIVX.

On the other hand, Bracke's site was worse with Bracke himself being super arrogant and pretty slimy in the way it was ran. Most DVD sites didn't like him because he sold his site to Interactual, which made the DVDROM playing software that was included on most DVDs. That sell out gave him access to discs that studios wouldn't send to anyone else. The head of Universal Home Video at the time was notorious for hating online media, so she wouldn't allow anyone review copies of DVDs, but Bracke was able to get them through Interactual, which used his site as a marketing tool.

With the HD era, the tables are turned. Now The Digital Bits is a marketing tool for the BDA, while Bracke's site is pretty much the best independent HD site out there.
yeah, DVDfile's forums are probably the worst I've ever seen (granted, I haven't been to AVS or HDD due to reports in this thread). They banned people for starting a forum for the banned members of the forum. kind of like...well, I've said too much already. ;)

I didn't even know he left DVDFile until I visited HDD and saw his name all over the reviews.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Anyone have any trouble with Ratatouille? I'm watching it on my PS3 and it loses ALL audio towards the end of the movie.

Just rebooted the PS3 and it doesn't help. All audio is gone in the last third of the movie. FUCK!

Kittonwy

Banned
I bought 310 To Yuma on BLU-RAY today.
Indifferent2.gif

I couldn't find Sunshine on Blu-Ray, they have it on DVD but I'm not going to watch it on DVD.
angry.gif

Damn u HMV.
angry.gif

Hurray for Blu-Ray.
Indifferent2.gif

Flek

Banned
its kinda funny that they relase some blurays in europe first (like sunshine - i have the br since early december (!) ) or paprika. Why is that? I mean i cant remember any studio releasing any dvd earlier in europe than in america.

New Digital Bits update says Paramount to go Blu within a month.

Bill Hunt said:
Just a quick update... the L.A. Times is now reporting that Warner's switch did in fact trigger Paramount's out clause with HD-DVD. Here's the relevant text from the story:

"Warner Bros.' decision last week to start making movies exclusively for Blu-ray players, rather than HD DVD, triggered an "out" clause in Paramount Pictures' contract with the HD DVD camp. An industry source said there was a significant possibility that Paramount would exercise that clause. It plans to decide within a month.

Paramount officials said they would continue to support HD DVD, a format for displaying videos in higher quality whose backers include Toshiba Corp. and Microsoft Corp. Universal Pictures, which has been a strong supporter from the beginning, issued no public statement on the matter here."

Meanwhile, the same story reveals that Toshiba has been in meetings with its retail partners about their continued support of HD-DVD:

"Toshiba said Tuesday that retailers have expressed their commitment to HD DVD during private meetings at the show, which is the world's largest consumer tech gathering."

As to whether or not retailers would abandon HD-DVD immediately, the story offer this comment:

"Industry executives said it would be unusual for retailers to abandon any format so soon after Christmas, for fear of sparking a flood of returns."

The plot thickens. The key thing to note is that it seems as if the remaining HD-DVD supporting studios plan to take their time making any major decisions, which is smart. It gives them time to develop their own plans, to see what the fall out from CES is, etc. So don't expect any more major announcements in the next couple of weeks at least. As we said earlier, everyone take a deep breath, and let's just have patience while we all wait to see how things play out in the next month or two.

Meanwhile, there's plenty of other CES coverage coming, so stay tuned...

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

I couldn't find Sunshine on Blu-Ray, they have it on DVD but I'm not going to watch it on DVD.
angry.gif

Damn u HMV.
angry.gif

Hurray for Blu-Ray.
Indifferent2.gif

Yeah, they didn't have it at Moviestop yesterday either, didn't come in yet.

B-Ri

ManaByte said:
Anyone have any trouble with Ratatouille? I'm watching it on my PS3 and it loses ALL audio towards the end of the movie.

Just rebooted the PS3 and it doesn't help. All audio is gone in the last third of the movie. FUCK!

i didnt have that problem, go exchange your disc.

ManaByte

Gold Member
B-Ri said:
i didnt have that problem, go exchange your disc.

Got it with the TRU BOGO, last copy they had and they won't take back anything opened. I'll just have to buy another one someday.

Nicodimas

Banned
I own Band of brothers on HD-dvd. It is by far my favorite one in terms of look w/ dts-HD MA. I am really jealous if it is coming out this quick on blu-ray as in this year!

gamerx

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

angry.gif

Damn u HMV.
angry.gif

Hurray for Blu-Ray.
Indifferent2.gif
You should have bought 310 Blu-ray movies instead.
angry.gif

Now that would be a huge victory for Blu-ray.
Indifferent2.gif

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
ManaByte said:

Just finished watching Ratatouille on my PS3. No issues here at all.

Is your disc scratched? Which audio format are you using? HDMI or optical?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
ManaByte said:
Got it with the TRU BOGO, last copy they had and they won't take back anything opened. I'll just have to buy another one someday.

They won't exchange? That's pretty lame.

(yes I know you said last copy, but they will get more in...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom