• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
LunaticPuma said:
Just finished watching Ratatouille on my PS3. No issues here at all.

Is your disc scratched? Which audio format are you using? HDMI or optical?

No scratch, and using optical since I don't have a HDMI receiver.

Mrbob

Snah said:
That's just stupid. They don't need to see what the fallout is. The fallout is that HD-DVD has no chance. This was known since Warner dropped the news.

Warners decision doesn't go into effect into June 2008 anyway, so there really isn't a rush to announce something tommorrow.

There could be an announcement early next month they plan to do the same thing at the same time.

Christopher

I just watched Die Hard 2: Die Harder.

The transfer is pretty damn good - but it does get spotty in some places.

I never saw Die Hard 2 before, and it was kind of cool. I never knew that they had THAT many connections to Die Hard between the cast; Holly, the news reporters, CARL WINSLOW!

I wonder why in the next two sequels they threw everything away like that.

Good movie I believe it's the most hated out of all of them, but I like it.

Flek said:
its kinda funny that they relase some blurays in europe first (like sunshine - i have the br since early december (!) ) or paprika. Why is that? I mean i cant remember any studio releasing any dvd earlier in europe than in america.

I think australia got spiderman 3 a month before the states.

favouriteflavour said:
I think australia got spiderman 3 a month before the states.
Many have been released early in the uk, and some in japan ( Predator for example ).
But then on the other hand most get released in the us first.

dabig2

Christopher said:

I never saw Die Hard 2 before, and it was kind of cool. I never knew that they had THAT many connections to Die Hard between the cast; Holly, the news reporters, CARL WINSLOW!

I wonder why in the next two sequels they threw everything away like that.

Good movie I believe it's the most hated out of all of them, but I like it.

I think you meant "Good movie, I believe it's the most loved out of all of them, so of course I like it."

;)

careksims

Opus Angelorum said:
Band of Brothers is coming out on Blu-Ray? Do want!

Do WANT! Either all the episodes on one disc or 2 discs. Hot Hot HOOOT! Funny my friend got me the dvd box set last Christmas and I was wishing for it to be on Blu-Ray.

Oh! If Predator is on for April... How soon we get Alien and Aliens. I so do want Aliens in HD.

careksims said:
Do WANT! Either all the episodes on one disc or 2 discs. Hot Hot HOOOT! Funny my friend got me the dvd box set last Christmas and I was wishing for it to be on Blu-Ray.

Oh! If Predator is on for April... How soon we get Alien and Aliens. I so do want Aliens in HD.

Aliens will look just ok in HD. The movie is full of grain. Alien on the other hand should look pretty incredible.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I wonder how long they will milk Planet Earth before releasing Blue Planet (Don't even think that shitty Imax release was Blue Planet)

Raistlin

ManaByte said:
Anyone have any trouble with Ratatouille? I'm watching it on my PS3 and it loses ALL audio towards the end of the movie.

Just rebooted the PS3 and it doesn't help. All audio is gone in the last third of the movie. FUCK!

ruh roh ... haven't tried mine out yet. I'll check this weekend.

Hopefully it won't be while I have a chick over. Nothing more embarrassing than your 'expensive shit' failing hardcore.

Raistlin

polyh3dron said:

Paramount officials said they would continue to support HD DVD, a format for displaying videos in higher quality whose backers include Toshiba Corp. and Microsoft Corp. Universal Pictures, which has been a strong supporter from the beginning, issued no public statement on the matter here.

Wait ... WHAT!?!?!?! :lol :lol :lol

The plot thickens. The key thing to note is that it seems as if the remaining HD-DVD supporting studios plan to take their time making any major decisions, which is smart. It gives them time to develop their own plans, to see what the fall out from CES is, etc. So don't expect any more major announcements in the next couple of weeks at least. As we said earlier, everyone take a deep breath, and let's just have patience wh

OMG ... no it isn't :lol

Raistlin

ManaByte said:
No scratch, and using optical since I don't have a HDMI receiver.

Okay ... I'll definitely check it out. I'm running optical right now as well.

[aside] WHERE THE FUCK IS MY PRE/PRO INTEGRA?!?!!? I PREORDERED IT FIVE MONTHS AGO ... HOLY SHIT, BOUGHT AND PAID FOR!!!!!1!!!![/aside]

Raistlin

OokieSpookie said:
Agreed, they have to for the same title

Exactly ... this is their return policy, which is a legal contract with the purchaser.

If they can't replace it with an in-stock equivalent, they must refund your money or give you a gift card in the amount (depending on the terms of said contract).

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Onix said:
Wait ... WHAT!?!?!?! :lol :lol :lol

OMG ... no it isn't :lol
bu bu bu bu digital bits is teh bias! BIAS!

Onix said:
[aside] WHERE THE FUCK IS MY PRE/PRO INTEGRA?!?!!? I PREORDERED IT FIVE MONTHS AGO ... HOLY SHIT, BOUGHT AND PAID FOR!!!!!1!!!![/aside]
I went into a high end home theater store the other day to see what they had in the way of pre/pros. The guy was like we dont cary any here, but he recomended the Integra several times, he had super hardon for it, "thats the only thing worth buying period."
i was thinking sure, because its one of the only pre/pros you offer and you want the commision from the 1600 unit!

Raistlin

captive said:
I went into a high end home theater store the other day to see what they had in the way of pre/pros. The guy was like we dont cary any here, but he recomended the Integra several times, he had super hardon for it, "thats the only thing worth buying period."
i was thinking sure, because its one of the only pre/pros you offer and you want the commision from the 1600 unit!

:p

In reality though ... nothing comes even close to it in terms of features, and its performance (sound quality) is still well above what you'd normally get at its price.

It really is almost miss-priced given the competition. Unfortunately that is what has led to my problem. I was on the pre-order list for it ... and still haven't received one. The thing is back-ordered to all hell. I should get it this month though.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
This pre is looks awesome if does not cost more than 2k.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/09/hands-on-with-marantzs-new-av8003-and-mm8003-processor-amp-pair/

If this does not have the realta chip 1.5k or lower. If this does then its out of my range 3k+.

I'll be interested read on the specs for this.

This and the upcoming B&K units have me interested. I'm not against trading up if need be :p

(granted, I think this will be more of a competitor for the Integra ... the B&K is in a different pricerange. Also worth keeping an eye on will be Outlaw Audio and Emotiva Audio's upcoming units. They will likely be in the Marantz/Integra range.).

xsarien

daedsiluap
Christopher said:

I wonder why in the next two sequels they threw everything away like that..

Oh, but they didn't. Look closely, Holly has no on-screen time in WaV, but Bonnie Bedelia shows up anyway. Sad that she didn't have a similar, bit part in Live Free or Die Hard.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Onix said:
:p

In reality though ... nothing comes even close to it in terms of features, and its performance (sound quality) is still well above what you'd normally get at its price.

It really is almost miss-priced given the competition. Unfortunately that is what has led to my problem. I was on the pre-order list for it ... and still haven't received one. The thing is back-ordered to all hell. I should get it this month though.
Yea i know its the sex, but really its overkill for what i want, i even told him im only going to be doing stereo listening with this particular setup, with almost no plans to expand the setup to a home theater.
He did say that it was backordered and that if you could find it anywhere you were really lucky.

Voltron64

I know this is a bit off topic but...
I'm thinking about getting a PS3 soon now that HD DVD is almost dead, and I can't resist Wipeout in HD. Does anyone know when the dual shock 3 will be bundled with the system?

Voltron64 said:
I know this is a bit off topic but...
I'm thinking about getting a PS3 soon now that HD DVD is almost dead, and I can't resist Wipeout in HD. Does anyone know when the dual shock 3 will be bundled with the system?

April-ish

OokieSpookie said:
Probably no subs like the other two gundam bd releases

Probably not, but it could lead to Bandai Entertainment or Bandai Visual USA (particularly BV USA since they don't do dubs and only subtitle their shows) releasing a version over here quickly.

distantmantra said:
Probably not, but it could lead to Bandai Entertainment or Bandai Visual USA (particularly BV USA since they don't do dubs and only subtitle their shows) releasing a version over here quickly.

Yeah, for one MILLION dollars.

I'm glad I'm not much of an anime fan. Bandai is worse than even Fox (by 1000%) with their screwy pricing.

Wollan

Just finished watching Revolver (by Guy Ritchie). Bought the BD the other day.

Okay.. I will definitely need a guide to help me understand this movie.

Wollan said:
Just finished watching Revolver (by Guy Ritchie). Bought the BD the other day.

Okay.. I will definitely need a guide to help me understand this movie.

It's shit. There's really no guide. It's just a dumb movie that tries to present itself as clever.

Christopher

Why do Blu Ray discs cost so damn much anyway? (at least retail) I wouldn't be too hurt about the loss of BOGO if the discs were priced as much as DVDs are.

bill0527

Christopher said:
Why do Blu Ray discs cost so damn much anyway? (at least retail) I wouldn't be too hurt about the loss of BOGO if the discs were priced as much as DVDs are.

Because its new technology that hasn't hit the mass market yet and it costs a lot more to replicate Blu-Ray discs than it does regular DVDs. DVDs weren't $10-$15 bucks a pop when they first came out.

bill0527 said:
Because its new technology that hasn't hit the mass market yet and it costs a lot more to replicate Blu-Ray discs than it does regular DVDs. DVDs weren't $10-$15 bucks a pop when they first came out.

Once studios start selling them cheap oputside of the occasional offer the mindset becomes that people wont buy them at higher prices. No reason for them to sell at lower prices until the players have increased penetration. Right now its mostly hardcore movie fans. They know that they can charge more for movies to these people and also hold back features for the ineivetable double dip. I mean over nine years some movies were released about 3-4 times on dvd.

polyh3dron said:
New Digital Bits update says Paramount to go Blu within a month.
Bill Hunt said:
Just a quick update... the L.A. Times is now reporting that Warner's switch did in fact trigger Paramount's out clause with HD-DVD. Here's the relevant text from the story:

"Warner Bros.' decision last week to start making movies exclusively for Blu-ray players, rather than HD DVD, triggered an "out" clause in Paramount Pictures' contract with the HD DVD camp. An industry source said there was a significant possibility that Paramount would exercise that clause. It plans to decide within a month.

Paramount officials said they would continue to support HD DVD, a format for displaying videos in higher quality whose backers include Toshiba Corp. and Microsoft Corp. Universal Pictures, which has been a strong supporter from the beginning, issued no public statement on the matter here."

Meanwhile, the same story reveals that Toshiba has been in meetings with its retail partners about their continued support of HD-DVD:

"Toshiba said Tuesday that retailers have expressed their commitment to HD DVD during private meetings at the show, which is the world's largest consumer tech gathering."

As to whether or not retailers would abandon HD-DVD immediately, the story offer this comment:

"Industry executives said it would be unusual for retailers to abandon any format so soon after Christmas, for fear of sparking a flood of returns."

The plot thickens. The key thing to note is that it seems as if the remaining HD-DVD supporting studios plan to take their time making any major decisions, which is smart. It gives them time to develop their own plans, to see what the fall out from CES is, etc. So don't expect any more major announcements in the next couple of weeks at least. As we said earlier, everyone take a deep breath, and let's just have patience while we all wait to see how things play out in the next month or two.

Meanwhile, there's plenty of other CES coverage coming, so stay tuned...
Translation:

"We're waiting for the return period, on the thousands of HD DVD players we've sold over the holidays, to expire, before we drop support for the format. We're also allowing time for customers to unwrap their HD DVD movies, so they'll become unreturnable, too."
I'm not saying that's true.

Sounds pretty messed up, if true. Can't retailers just return the players to Toshiba? I wonder what percentage of sales was guaranteed by Toshiba, for retailers to be able to return unsold stock. Basically, it would come down to, "Who gets stuck with the bill for the HD DVD players that people don't want- Toshiba or the customers?"

avaya

plagiarize said:
just a heads up... don't expect the BBC to be able to go blu-ray only even if they want to.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6913297.stm

no idea if they'd gain any criticism for dropping HD-DVD or if the same rules bind them when it comes to that kind of platform, but it is something to think about.

i just hope they announce Torchwood on SOME HD format soon.

BBC is distributed by Warner....this was a question I wanted answered immediately after the 5th. I think in the US the BBC will be through Warner exclusively after May. Europe might be different.

The BBC isn't allowed to pick a side, but in this case the decision has been made for them. I doubt there would be much pressure for them to stay neutral since the number of HD-DVD players in the UK is tiny.

Variety says UNIVERSAL's HD DVD commitment has ended:

Blu-ray could win high-def battle
HD DVD backers could switch sides soon

By DIANE GARRETT, BEN FRITZ

The two remaining studios backing HD DVD could switch sides soon, ending the high-def format war instantly.

Daily Variety has confirmed that Universal's commitment to backing HD DVD exclusively has ended. And Paramount has an escape clause in its HD DVD contract allowing it to release pics on Blu-ray after Warner Bros.' decision to back that format exclusively.

Neither studio is ready to throw in the towel immediately, however. Universal is committed to a series of promotions for the high-def format in coming months, and Par has said its current plans are to keep supporting HD DVD, which it backed exclusively in August.

Full story here: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117978760.html?categoryid=20&cs=1

This confirms something my CE friends who attended CES were telling me. They expected of the two left in the HD DVD corner, Universal would be the one to go first because they were already essentially free to do so. ...Won't be long now, I think.

Xater

Pristine_Condition said:
This confirms something my CE friends who attended CES were telling me. They expected of the two left in the HD DVD corner, Universal would be the one to go first because they were already essentially free to do so. ...Won't be long now, I think.

Summer might be a good guess for Universal right? I don't think it will happen before May, but then again weirder things have happened in this format war.

NekoFever

The BBC is distributed in the US by Warner, as outside the UK they're a commercial enterprise like everyone else. In the UK, they're a public organisation that has an obligation to support any format that's commercially viable (I forget the exact wording), so they'll probably support HD DVD here as long as people are buying it.

A few more of their shows are out on both HD formats here. None of the really big ones that I'd want (Torchwood, Doctor Who, etc) but the first season of Robin Hood is out (BD and HD), as are a few of their miniseries' like Bleak House (BD and HD). They don't promote them at all so I don't know how they expect them to sell or people to find out when they're out, though.

Laurent

Gav said:
Quick question guys.

Can i trust this list?
http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Basically, im going to the US next week (im from the UK) and wanted to pick up a few Blu-Ray movies that arent out here for a long time. (T2, Cars etc).
From what I've read on NeoGAF in the past, this website seemed to give reliable information, but I never personally verified that myself...

Xater said:
Summer might be a good guess for Universal right? I don't think it will happen before May, but then again weirder things have happened in this format war.

Could be a lot sooner. This report backs up what I've heard, that there are no constraints against them announcing Blu-ray support at any time. They could probably announce titles within a month. Of course, announcing titles and having them on store shelves are two different things. Summer is as good a guess as any for the first releases.

typhonsentra said:
Damn, Paramount will be left as the only studio left? How long is their commitment?

The Contract was always ruumored to be 18 months. However, according to this and other reports, the contract Paramount signed to support HD DVD has an escape clause, which has been activated by recent events. Whether they have to wait for Warner to stop producing HD DVD discs first (which Warner is committed to until the end of April) is the question everyone is asking now.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
avaya said:
BBC is distributed by Warner....this was a question I wanted answered immediately after the 5th. I think in the US the BBC will be through Warner exclusively after May. Europe might be different.

The BBC isn't allowed to pick a side, but in this case the decision has been made for them. I doubt there would be much pressure for them to stay neutral since the number of HD-DVD players in the UK is tiny.

This is an interesting one, were they one of the studios warner mentioned as having their own choice (like HBO and New Line) or is the relationship just a matter of WB paying for the rights to release BBC stuff in the US (i.e. BBC has no choice).

dalin80

Banned
NekoFever said:
The BBC is distributed in the US by Warner, as outside the UK they're a commercial enterprise like everyone else. In the UK, they're a public organisation that has an obligation to support any format that's commercially viable (I forget the exact wording), so they'll probably support HD DVD here as long as people are buying it.

hd dvd died/ is dying on its knees in the uk so the bbc aren't in too bad of a position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom