• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gattsu25

Banned
Laurent said:
I... know?

I just didn't noticed the comma being blue, because of how small it is...
Ahh, didn't read it that way...thought you meant you didn't see see it. My bad.

PS: There are no hidden messages in this post :b

Laurent

Gattsu25 said:
Ahh, didn't read it that way...thought you meant you didn't see see it. My bad.

PS: There are no hidden messages in this post :b
I cheated and quote your post to see your hidden message of DOOM... :lol

Kolgar said:
Just clicked over to The Bits and wasn't having too bad a read when I saw this:

*shakes head* Yeah, pardon the HD DVD group for not just rolling over and dying last yea

Stop right there.

The HD DVD Group paid Paramount a large sum of money to go against the market. They sided with the lower-selling format which DID prolong this format war when HD DVD had no chance of winning anyways.

Raistlin

captscience said:
Maxpower said that we should expect a box set of all the Indy movies for holiday 08.

He also hinted at the Star Wars IV-VI being released in the same timeframe, going so far as to suggest that plans were place for release this past holiday season.

0_0

Raistlin

ManaByte said:
Bull fucking shit. Again, this is LUCASFILM handling the DVDs and not Fox/Paramount.

Lucasfilm only has the resources for ONE major home video release per year. 2007-2008 was the three Young Indiana Jones Chronicles DVD boxed sets, which took about FIVE YEARS to put together.

2008 is believable for Indiana Jones due to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull being released on home video November/December 2008 and it would be possible for them to do a HD release at the same time.

But BOTH Indiana Jones and Star Wars HD box sets at the same time? No way. Lucasfilm is NOT that stupid to blow their entire wad in one holiday season. They'll do Indiana Jones in 2008 and then save Star Wars for 2009 or 2010 to cash in on the hype surrounding the TV series.

There were NO PLANS to release Star Wars this past holiday season. Lucasfilms sole home video focus was on Young Indy and getting the entire series out on DVD over Christmas and New Years (the third set is now set for April).

Lucasfilm is smart, "Maxpower" is not.

While I generally agree with this (specifically the issue of blowing their wad) ... you are making the assumption that they'd be starting from scratch.

Who's to say that the transfers themselves haven't been done for quite some time? That would mean it would really only be the menuing and BDJ stuff that needs to be done.

I was under the impression they've made HD transcodes for broadcast of all these movies.

Snah

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Stop right there.

The HD DVD Group paid Paramount a large sum of money to go against the market. They sided with the lower-selling format which DID prolong this format war when HD DVD had no chance of winning anyways.

Yup.

The war started showing signs of being over ever since the PS3 launched and HD-DVD couldn't recover for over half a year. The nail in the coffin was 300 outselling the HD-DVD version 2:1.

HD-DVD had basically no shot at that point, yet they tried to continue prolonging the war by moneyhatting Paramount. Going forward into the holiday season, they had to know that the PS3 would have a big push at retail and they couldn't do anything to stop it.

They could have saved a bunch of money not courting Paramount, or discounting and producing cheap players, and dragging this war on. As I've said before, the Paramount decision only prolonged the inevitable.

border

There's already HD versions of the Star Wars trilogy that have been airing on premium cable channels. Is it so hard to put them on a disc?

Snah

Banned
Onix said:
While I generally agree with this (specifically the issue of blowing their wad) ... you are making the assumption that they'd be starting from scratch.

Who's to say that the transfers themselves haven't been done for quite some time? That would mean it would really only be the menuing and BDJ stuff that needs to be done.

I would expect Indiana Jones to hit on Blu-Ray during the release of the Crystal Skull. It only makes sense, and I can't wait.

They're not going to sit on their catalog releases when the Crystal Skull release gives free publicity to the original trilogy.

Fox did it with Die Hard.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is probably olde, but all the major players are obviously hedging their bets (if true):

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=asfuyhaPNAGc&refer=home

Jan. 9 (Bloomberg) -- Apple Inc., maker of the top-selling iPod media player, will let iTunes users rent movies as well as buy them and will add Warner Bros. and Fox as suppliers, according to people familiar with the agreements.

Joining Warner Bros. and News Corp.'s Fox in supplying rental films are Viacom Inc.'s Paramount, Walt Disney Co. and Lions Gate Entertainment Corp., said two people who asked not to be identified because the plans aren't public. The studios already sell movies through iTunes for at least $9.99 each.

Apple will announce the rental service Jan. 15, the people said. New releases and older titles will rent for $3.99 for 24 hours. The lower-priced rentals and additional titles may help boost the popularity of Apple's iPod media players, iPhone and Apple TV set-top box, which delivers shows to widescreen TV sets.

``Once a couple of studios do it, how long can the others resist?'' Richard Greenfield, a Pali Capital analyst, said in an interview. ``It becomes only a matter of minutes before the others come on board too.''

Makes sense - occured to me that the inclusion of portable versions of movies on Blu Rays would be another reason to spend more than you would on a rental or digital download and keep the disc.

Loudninja said:
HBO is following Warner and New Line to Blu-ray exclusivity,
http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

plus much more

rome.gif

Sounds like good news. :D

Raistlin

Snah said:
I would expect Indiana Jones to hit on Blu-Ray during the release of the Crystal Skull. It only makes sense, and I can't wait.

They're not going to sit on their catalog releases when the Crystal Skull release gives free publicity to the original trilogy.

Fox did it with Die Hard.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, the leaves StarWars until next Christmas (as in '09) most likely.

Actually ... they'll probably wait to release until the first season of the star wars TV show :lol

Raistlin

Stinkles said:
This is probably olde, but all the major players are obviously hedging their bets (if true):

Hedging their bets makes it sound like they expect it to be a one or the other end-game.

I believe this is more of an ‘eggs in more than one basket’ scenario. I'm under the impression studios expect the future to include multiple viable media procurement options. They expect to make money off of DVD, HDM, DD, and onDemand models … all at the same time.

Things aren’t quite so black and white anymore. There is a huge variance in consumer usage of media, as well as what particular procurement models they have available to them (or are willing to pay for). It is quite unlikely we will ever again see a day where one media procurement model completely dominates.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Stinkles said:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=asfuyhaPNAGc&refer=home

Makes sense - occured to me that the inclusion of portable versions of movies on Blu Rays would be another reason to spend more than you would on a rental or digital download and keep the disc.

Does anyone really think Apple will offer 720p or 1080p movies? Currently all of their stuff is 480p right?

I can see them starting a service, but I doubt it will offer the same quality as blu-ray for a while.

Also, what do you think is harder for the average consumer? To properly hook-up a blu-ray player for HDM movies or setting up a wireless network within their home to get movies from Apple?

Stinkles

Onix said:
Hedging their bets makes it sound like they expect it to be a one or the other end-game.

I believe this is more of an ‘eggs in more than one basket’ scenario. I'm under the impression studios expect the future to include multiple viable media procurement options. They expect to make money off of DVD, HDM, DD, and onDemand models … all at the same time.

Things aren’t quite so black and white anymore. There is a huge variance in consumer usage of media, as well as what particular procurement models they have available to them (or are willing to pay for). It is quite unlikely we will ever again see a day where one media procurement model completely dominates.

I used that idiom because I still think that movie studios would rather sell objects than data. They are good at marketing and bad at making films. In their minds it's easier to market a bad film well than make a good film in the first place. That reduces their reliance on excellence and mitigates risk.

The studios don't like the apparent portability of data, and they are stuck in this Lawyer mindset that they should concentrate primarily on finding ways to prevent the enjoyment of their content, rather than investing in ways to help people enjoy it.

Kolgar

Snah said:
Yup.

The war started showing signs of being over ever since the PS3 launched and HD-DVD couldn't recover for over half a year. The nail in the coffin was 300 outselling the HD-DVD version 2:1.

HD-DVD had basically no shot at that point, yet they tried to continue prolonging the war by moneyhatting Paramount. Going forward into the holiday season, they had to know that the PS3 would have a big push at retail and they couldn't do anything to stop it.

They could have saved a bunch of money not courting Paramount, or discounting and producing cheap players, and dragging this war on. As I've said before, the Paramount decision only prolonged the inevitable.

Maybe.

Depends on what you've heard, and how you see it.

Maybe Paramount was simply bought. Or maybe there was more to it.

I've read posts from insiders who've said Warner and FOX were little more than a "pen click" away from going HD DVD.

Is it true? I have no idea of knowing.

Thus, I have no grounds to argue.

I'd rather put all that behind me anyway, and just enjoy the movies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Onix said:

I was under the impression they've made HD transcodes for broadcast of all these movies.

Lucasfilm is currently remastering ALL of the Star Wars movies (1-6) for digital 3D releases through Lowry Digital Images (same company who remastered them for the DVD releases, as well as Indiana Jones). The masters done for the 2K digital projection in 3D are what will then be used for the High Definition release.

The 1080i HD broadcasts on Cinemax are the transfers that were done for the current PT and OT DVD releases that Lowry did, and the new HD masters they're doing for the 3D releases will be so much better Lucasfilm is waiting for THOSE to use for the 1080p HD release.

Of course, the HD release will have more changes to the movies; such as the CG Yoda in Episode I, which does not exist in the current HD cable broadcast version.

They are saving the 3D releases to build hype for the live action TV series. There is no HD home video release of Star Wars in 2008.

ManaByte said:
Lucasfilm is currently remastering ALL of the Star Wars movies (1-6) for digital 3D releases through Lowry Digital Images (same company who remastered them for the DVD releases, as well as Indiana Jones).

Well, so much for the monoscopic media paradigm. Bring on stereoscopic.

Snah

Banned
Kolgar said:
Maybe.

Depends on what you've heard, and how you see it.

Maybe Paramount was simply bought. Or maybe there was more to it.

I've read posts from insiders who've said Warner and FOX were little more than a "pen click" away from going HD DVD.

Is it true? I have no idea of knowing.

Thus, I have no grounds to argue.

I'd rather put all that behind me anyway, and just enjoy the movies.

I agree. I'd like to put this behind me. But I just wish Toshiba/Paramount/Universal would end this NOW. I think that's what they're doing, and it just takes time, but if they expect to drag this out...ugh

Laurent

Did Lucasfilm ever released the original Star Wars movies on DVD? I remember that there was talk about including it with the remastered trilogy sometime last year or two years ago...

Oni Jazar

Snah said:
I agree. I'd like to put this behind me. But I just wish Toshiba/Paramount/Universal would end this NOW. I think that's what they're doing, and it just takes time, but if they expect to drag this out...ugh

I think that they have been very silent all week is very telling. If they really wanted to drag it out there would be a strong response by now like when Fox announced a big number of titles the day Paramount went red.

NekoFever

No-one should hold their breath for Star Wars. Lucasfilm always marches to the beat of its own drum and judging by how damn long it took them to bring Star Wars and Indy to DVD (2004 and 2003 respectively, bearing in mind that DVD came to market in 1997), it'll happen when they feel like it.

Of course I'd expect to see HD Indy 4 in time for Christmas, but it still wouldn't surprise me if that's the only Indy we see unless they use the Lowry masters from the DVDs.

Laurent said:
Did Lucasfilm ever released the original Star Wars movies on DVD? I remember that there was talk about including it with the remastered trilogy sometime last year or two years ago...
Yes. They were on the re-issues in 2006 (?), but it was literally the same non-anamorphic transfer that was used for the last Laserdisc versions.

centracore

NekoFever said:
Of course I'd expect to see HD Indy 4 in time for Christmas, but it still wouldn't surprise me if that's the only Indy we see unless they use the Lowry masters from the DVDs.

If I remember correctly, I had read an article before the release of the Star Wars original trilogy on DVD stating that they also received HD masters for 'future releases' - hopefully they did the same thing with the Indiana Jones trilogy.

DarkJediKnight said:
rome.gif

Sounds like good news. :D

Oh HELL YEAH. I wasn't even thinking of that when the HBO deal was announced, but I'd buy a Rome box set in a heartbeat. That show rocked.

I hope they will just go ahead and release the full set at once in one box, rather than do a two-box, season one/season two thing...

Awesome story. Great acting. Tons of brutal violence. Political intrigue. Lots of sex. Indira Varma and Chiara Mastalli in clingy outfits (or nothing at all) ...what more do you want?

yacobod

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
Oh HELL YEAH. I wasn't even thinking of that when the HBO deal was announced, but I'd buy a Rome box set in a heartbeat. That show rocked.

I hope they will just go ahead and release the full set at once in one box, rather than do a two-box, season one/season two thing...

Awesome story. Great acting. Tons of brutal violence. Political intrigue. Lots of sex. Indira Varma and Chiara Mastalli in clingy outfits (or nothing at all) ...what more do you want?

13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'd buy a bluray Complete Series set for sure, i already own s1 and s2 on dvd, but if they did a complete series id rebuy it, one of my favorite shows ever

Pristine_Condition said:

Hey! Don't talk about my wife that way!

Voltron64

I just returned my HD-DVD 360 add-on at best buy. :(
Now I guess I'll wait it out and see what other exciting news unfolds before I go to the blu side.

Stinkles

Pristine_Condition said:
I agree with Stinkles on this.

I. Agree. With. Stinkles.

Wow. I had to roll that around in my head for a while...It just didn't sound right. :lol

If we didn't have consoles we'd agree most of the time.

Raistlin

Stinkles said:
I used that idiom because I still think that movie studios would rather sell objects than data. They are good at marketing and bad at making films. In their minds it's easier to market a bad film well than make a good film in the first place. That reduces their reliance on excellence and mitigates risk.

The studios don't like the apparent portability of data, and they are stuck in this Lawyer mindset that they should concentrate primarily on finding ways to prevent the enjoyment of their content, rather than investing in ways to help people enjoy it.

I agree they'd rather stick with physical media ... but I believe even they know that may not be realistic long-term (or at least they are potentially losing sales revenue).

The reason its been taking so long to get rolling, beyond the actual infrastructure issues, isn't due to a total lack of studio involvement. A number have been R&Ding it. The issue is that they are making sure the ‘security’ (DRM :p) is in place first.

Raistlin

ManaByte said:
Lucasfilm is currently remastering ALL of the Star Wars movies (1-6) for digital 3D releases through Lowry Digital Images (same company who remastered them for the DVD releases, as well as Indiana Jones). The masters done for the 2K digital projection in 3D are what will then be used for the High Definition release.

The 1080i HD broadcasts on Cinemax are the transfers that were done for the current PT and OT DVD releases that Lowry did, and the new HD masters they're doing for the 3D releases will be so much better Lucasfilm is waiting for THOSE to use for the 1080p HD release.

Of course, the HD release will have more changes to the movies; such as the CG Yoda in Episode I, which does not exist in the current HD cable broadcast version.

They are saving the 3D releases to build hype for the live action TV series. There is no HD home video release of Star Wars in 2008.

Just as I suspected :lol

3D release, and BD release will be part of the TV ad campaign.

Sallokin

My gf picked up a copy of The Fifth Element on BR for me today after my DVD copy just got too scratched (bless her). I noticed after watching it that it's not the remastered edition. My question is, is the PQ on the remastered edition worth the trip back to the store?

Sallokin said:
My gf picked up a copy of The Fifth Element on BR for me today after my DVD copy just got too scratched (bless her). I noticed after watching it that it's not the remastered edition. My question is, is the PQ on the remastered edition worth the trip back to the store?

You can just mail the disc back to Sony, and have them replace it with the remastered version for free, too. Google "Fifth element replacement program" for the email address to write to, and they'll tell you where to send the disc.

Sallokin said:

Yeop

djkimothy

Sallokin said:

It is totally worth it. I'm surprised you were able to pick up the old copy... But yah, it's so worth it remastered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom