• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

ManaByte said:
My updated BRD library:
8fciy6a.jpg

Sorry to reask, but what is the site/sw you use for that? I asked previously, and completely forgot to write it down.

Thanks!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
duketogo88 said:
BUT BUT BUT....
DIGITAL DOWNLOADS!

Am I too late?

I think about 100 pages, or 200?
I lost count. :lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
polyh3dron said:
Paramount's logo is still on it you dumb shit. Talk about pouncing on someone for no reason, he was just saying that they're working on a fucking BD release of Indy 4. You know he does make it a habit to inform his readers of developments in the home video biz such as this.

Also, in regards to Indy 4, it's a fucking Paramount title just as much as the Star Wars titles are Fox titles. BDA marketing tool my ass the dude has an opinion on how to make HDM succeed and the points he has brought up are all well thought out and sound.

Spielberg titles were never even included in the Paramount exclusivity deal, and it was in the original press release, yet he is trying to use Indy 4 to back up his belief they are dropping HD-DVD. They are going back to BRD, but Lucasfilm working on Indy 4 is in no way proof of that; considering the original arrangements regarding Spielberg titles and Paramount.

Nicodimas

Banned
+1 to the world fastest indian. A real feel good movie very different from most movies too. Very refreshing.

Amazon is fireselling Hd-dvd players: these may be new MSRPs?
$149.50--A-3
$199.99--A-30
$299.99--A-35

Oni Jazar

Shit.. I was watching Sunshine (beautiful on BR btw) and was listening to the commentary by a physicist which is really interesting and he mentions that NASAs satellite MESSENGER is going to orbit Mercury and I looked it up and it will in fact reach Mercury in less than 3 days!!!

January 11, 2008
Three Days to Mercury!

The countdown to the first flyby of Mercury by the MESSENGER spacecraft has begun. Sunday morning, MESSENGER will start recording the evidence of this historic event. At 8 a.m. EST on January 13 – 30 hours before the closest approach to Mercury – the spacecraft will turn its main antennas away from Earth and automatically begin executing the 5,000 on-board stored commands.

http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/index.php

We are due for some beautiful images.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Riddick said:
He's not deluded, he's a corporate shill and he's saying what they tell him to say.

then itbusinessedge needs to find another writer, it's making them look pretty ignorant.

MechDX

Nicodimas said:
+1 to the world fastest indian. A real feel good movie very different from most movies too. Very refreshing.

Amazon is fireselling Hd-dvd players: these may be new MSRPs?
$149.50--A-3
$199.99--A-30
$299.99--A-35

Robert at AVS who runs Value Electronics stated that this is the new MSRP. Toshiba dropped it today.

Raistlin

user friendly said:

OH ... MY ... GOD ...

He just doesn't stop ... does he? How can he still have a job at this point? Isn't he in a position to give out advice regarding emerging tech? Someone this biased can lose you A LOT of money.

He is quickly moving from funny ... to pathetic ... to disgusting.

Crisis

Banned
Crisis said:
Are those prices for the BDs on Amazon temporary for a sale, or are they permanent? There's no indication of it being a "sale".

I asked that on the last page but no one gave an answer. :(

OatmealMu

Since I only recently got into HD movies, I'm still trying to figure out this Enderle guy. Is/was there a Blu-ray group equivalent to him?

bill0527

Does anyone have Superman Returns on Blu-Ray?

I've had it for over a year now and I just watched it again last night.

Honestly, it looks like shit for some reason. Does anyone know if Warner fucked up the transfer on this movie or something. There's just some weird artifacting looking stuff going on in some of the dark scenes. I don't remember noticing it before, but like I said, its been over a year since I watched it and didn't have a lot of BR movies to compare it to back when I first got it. The last few days I've watched Cars, Ratatouille, Spider-Man 3, and Superman Returns and Superman's PQ sucks compared to those movies. I played around with all the settings on my TV, which is a Sammy 50" 720p DLP. I tried the movie in both 720p and 1080i and there's no difference. It just really looks bad and nowhere near as sharp as the other movies I've watched. It almost looks like a DVD upscaled.

Christopher

russo_brd.jpg

biting off Mana and on1x ;p

I'm pretty sure I got all the good titles so far - nothing "good" missing so far.

The only cover I hate is Rockys.

Snah

Banned
bill0527 said:
Does anyone have Superman Returns on Blu-Ray?

I've had it for over a year now and I just watched it again last night.

Honestly, it looks like shit for some reason. Does anyone know if Warner fucked up the transfer on this movie or something. There's just some weird artifacting looking stuff going on in some of the dark scenes. I don't remember noticing it before, but like I said, its been over a year since I watched it and didn't have a lot of BR movies to compare it to back when I first got it. The last few days I've watched Cars, Ratatouille, Spider-Man 3, and Superman Returns and Superman's PQ sucks compared to those movies. I played around with all the settings on my TV, which is a Sammy 50" 720p DLP. I tried the movie in both 720p and 1080i and there's no difference. It just really looks bad and nowhere near as sharp as the other movies I've watched. It almost looks like a DVD upscaled.

It looks soft and has some pretty bad banding for underwater scenes.

bill0527

Snah said:
It looks soft and has some pretty bad banding for underwater scenes.

Yes, Banding is the term I was looking for, but couldn't remember what to call it. Its really to me in very dark scenes for some reason. There was a scene where Kevin Spacey is standing in the dark and he steps into the light and you can see all kinds of banding on his face before he steps forward.

Superman Returns was apparently shot digitally IIRC and had a filter put on it in post production to give it the soft look. It is all part of the director's intent.

bill0527

polyh3dron said:
Superman Returns was apparently shot digitally IIRC and had a filter put on it in post production to give it the soft look. It is all part of the director's intent.

Yeah well that 'soft' look completely and utterly fucking fails because this movie looks like shit when you put it up against the other films I've been watching the last few days. Fucking colors look way off as well. Everything kind of has this yellow greenish feel to it. I thought Bryan Singer was supposed to be a good director, but he fucked this film all to hell. Oh well... I guess that's a discussion for another thread.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
just ordered 2001 and ratatouille from amazon -- rented the latter a while back, and it's the first pixar movie i really love. i was going to pick it up in the tru bogo, but i didn't remotely want any of the other movies. it's weird, but i actually do feel better about buying bds now that the format war is functionally over

bill0527

drohne said:
just ordered 2001 and ratatouille from amazon -- rented the latter a while back, and it's the first pixar movie i really love. i was going to pick it up in the tru bogo, but i didn't remotely want any of the other movies. it's weird, but i actually do feel better about buying bds now that the format war is functionally over

I'm buying with confidence now also. I stopped buying BRDs when Paramount went exclusive to HD-DVD last August. It put just enough FUD in my mind to make me not want to invest a lot of money yet. Now that its over, I'm going to be buying Blu-Rays like a madman.

Warm Machine said:
Bill Hunt has been nothing but a jerk through this whole thing.
Bill Hunt has been nothing but right about this whole thing from the get go.

Remember those rants about Microsoft's role in HD DVD not having HDM's best interests in mind? Fast forward to Bill Gates downplaying disc based media and saying downloads are the future.

His whole position was that we need one format and HD DVD never had a chance, so we may as well get behind the format that DOES have a chance of becoming mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom